• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The power gap= PS5 vs Switch! The results do not show on screen.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
*Disclaimer: This is no fanboy post as I own and love both platforms. I am also gaming these are a very serious Television: 65inch Samsung QD-oled S90C

I got to a admit I am no graphical engineer. I've learned enough about tech over the year to form what I believe to be a solid opinion. The PS5 just guessing (different architectures) but somewhere in the realm has 20-100x the performance of a docked Nintendo Switch. The Switch's chip was a mobile chip released on the Nvidia Shield all the way back in 2015. It also is not using the full capabilities of the X1 chip due to the need to be mobile power balance. The Switch has major limitations like it cannot display HDR, or has slick modern lighting effects. With that said, the power gap is not not that drastic. I believe game design, art, and just pure creativity overcomes that power gap.

For those of you who have both I usher you this challenge. Take your best looking switch games and compare them to your best looking PS5 games. Yes the PS5 games will have higher resolution and better lighting/colors.(hdr) Outside of that, there isn't a big difference at all. Infact, some switch games even look better to the eye than some PS5 games. I am not even going into the eye sex of say Metroid Dread on the small oled handheld mode. My point being, it seems like we have hit a wall when it comes to power vs results.

PS5> Much better resolution>> much better lighting>>> Much better texture Quality>>> etc etc.

Switch>>> Games do not look as good but does not look miles worse. Games like Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Luigi's Mansion 3, and many others can go toe to toe visually with some PS5 games.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
You’re comparing graphical fidelity with artistic direction. Apples and oranges, dude.

Just look at any direct comparison between the same game on both systems. 🙄

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I think you're onto something. Tell me more.

Ponder Denzel Washington GIF by Entertainment Tonight

Dr.D00p

Nintendo, whilst a bunch of greedy corporate cunts on oh so many levels, do employ very talented people to focus on a few franchises and know how to maximise the hardware.

What we all, well most of us, want to see is what those very same talented people could do with decent hardware.

Kataploom

Gold Member
The problem is that both consoles (PS5 and XSX) are very underutilized and only a handful of games take real advantage of their hardware, but in terms of graphical features, the only difference between Switch and PS4 is the IQ and frame rate, and it mostly translates to PS5 since most games are cross-gen anyway.

Shubh_C63

True BUT every game out there isn't made by Nintendo.

Art style reigns supreme all the time, but you need basic raw power to run your basic CoD.

Top Bottom