• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The power gap= PS5 vs Switch! The results do not show on screen.

spons

Gold Member
Nintendo's games have a fantastic art style, but are graphically absolutely worse than most AAA games on competing platforms.
It's just that it really doesn't matter in the end.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Not sure how you can say this with a straight face when we have so many multiplats available to make direct comparisons with..
The-Boys-Homelander-looks-bad-in-Mortal-Kombat-1-on-nintendo-switch.jpg

Those are not toe-to-toe comparisons though.

SonGoku

You have to define what next gen is, because this narrative gets confused with art work. HFW and Tlou2 on PS4 still look better than 99% of games releasing years later on more powerful hardware due to the animation and art work. Huge amount of details went into making those games look impressive. On the flip side a next gen only game like Returnal IS pushing the ps5 to its limits, but it does not look as good as those two.

Spiderman 2 pushes the ps5 to its limits. Its has the graphics, the option to travel very fast through the city by gliding or swinging and can be played above 60fps. I cant really think of another game on ps5 that allows you to play with raytracing on at 60f fps besides Rachet and Clank.
What i meant by "Next Gen" a AAA game developed around PS5 as lowest common denominator to get the most out of the hardware and influence design/scope
Those PS4 games you mentioned do indeed look good, hell GoT on PC looks marvelous but it is still a PS4 game at its core.

Returnal is a glimpse into next gen, since its a smaller indie type game with lower budget
SM2 is another glimpse into next gen with that combination of fps, RT and asset streaming on the fly but its not a massive departure from its previous PS4 entries let alone the PS5 ports SM1 & MM

Fbh

Nintendo is great at using more stylized art direction to make good looking games on limited hardware. It's why games like Wind Waker still look great now, while many other games of that time that aimed for more realistic visuals look dated.
But even taking that into account you can still easily see you are on a console that's like 2 gens behind when you go from playing something on Ps5 to playing on the Switch, specially if in docked mode.

Even in the best case scenario of a game like Luigi's Mansion 3 ,which is still one of the best looking games on the system and tailor made for the hardware ... it's still quite a downgrade compared to something like Rift apart not just in terms of graphics but also scope, image quality and performance.

What i meant by "Next Gen" a AAA game developed around PS5 as lowest common denominator to get the most out of the hardware and influence design/scope
Those PS4 games you mentioned do indeed look good, hell GoT on PC looks marvelous but it is still a PS4 game at its core.

Returnal is a glimpse into next gen, since its a smaller indie type game with lower budget
SM2 is another glimpse into next gen with that combination of fps, RT and asset streaming on the fly but its not a massive departure from its previous PS4 entries let alone the PS5 ports SM1 & MM
The Dualsense haptic feeback and trigger resistance is the quietly the most next gen feature in that regard then, because thats the biggest differentiator from how last gen and next gen games feel. Playing games without advanced vibrations feel like a last gen experience, but you dont need to rebuild a game from the ground up to implement it. Some developers have been able to update their games to include it through patches. So its not really clear what "next gen" is, but if its games having their design and scope influced by hardware, then you have to say the Dualsense controller is the only next gen hardware devs are actually using.

I went back and played a little bit of Astro bot on PS5, and I immediately could tell I was playing a game designed specifically for next gen hardware. The haptic feeback just from rotating the controller felt like how I would imagine something to feek in real life. Its crazy going back and seeing how under-rated that game is now in this context.

Last edited:
Top Bottom