• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The power gap= PS5 vs Switch! The results do not show on screen.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
qk5Nemx.gif

6B45Icd.png

dk6HKxj.jpeg

q8tgAik.jpeg

USItNoO.jpg

G9Wkq1N.png

SonGoku

There are no true next gen games pushing the PS5 to its limit its mostly games designed around PS4 limitations up ported to PS5
Having said that if you compare multiplatform games like doom or the Witcher 3 between PS4 and Switch the gap is clear

Kikorin

Yeah is basically true. I rememeber when as a kid I played Urban Chaos on my PC, it was absolutely impossible to go back play with Playstation, the gap was huge.

Now i switch (eheh) from my Switch and my PS5 without any problem. Obviously if you compare the same third party games on Switch and PS5, most of the time the Switch version looks like shit, but if you just play exclusives, Nintendo is doing a wonderful job with that kind of hardware. And with Switch 2 the gap will be ever smaller for years to come.

LakeOf9

Okay I love the Switch but this is a step too far lol

That said Nintendo art style does a lot of heavy lifting and makes their games look better than the specs would suggest

Quasicat

Gold Member
I finished Octopath Traveler on Switch years ago and started it back up on GamePass. My memory made them both very similar, but then I tried it out on Switch to see what OP is suggesting. Even a 2DHD game looks so much better on Series X vs the Switch.

Radical_3d

OP get some glasses my dude. Or maybe use the dock on a big screen...

maxresdefault.jpg
I get the point that OP says. It’s still a 2 generations gap but since we’re reaching photo realism quickly is not the same as before. In other words: having a 2 generations gap has diminishing returns the more we advance in every generation. Yes you can see the difference in those two pictures but if the generations were PS1 vs PS3 instead of PS3 vs PS5 I’d be more obvious. And of course I think it’s a mistake as well post this on this forum, where we’re sensible to diferencies even inside the same generation, we are early adopters and the major target for a generational refreshes.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
This is some peak retardation. BotW the flagship Switch game does not even hold a steady 30 fps. Meanwhile, something like R&C looks miles better and can hold fixed 30, 40 or 60 fps.
Well, this may sound shocking for you but PS5 is more powerful than Switch, believe or not

Last edited:

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
I get the point that OP says. It’s still a 2 generations gap but since we’re reaching photo realism quickly is not the same as before. In other words: having a 2 generations gap has diminishing returns the more we advance in every generation. Yes you can see the difference in those two pictures but if the generations were PS1 vs PS3 instead of PS3 vs PS5 I’d be more obvious. And of course I think it’s a mistake as well post this on this forum, where we’re sensible to diferencies even inside the same generation, we are early adopters and the major target for a generational refreshes.

While being true that this generational leap hasn't been that big, claiming that it's not perceptible is plain wrong, and I'm not talking about photorealistic games, where the gap is massive. Astrobot and Genshin Impact look so much better than Mario and Zelda respectively, there's no possible comparison between the two from a technical standpoint. That also applies to animations. You see those games move and it's clear they don't belong to the same gen.

Radical_3d

While being true that this generational leap hasn't been that big, claiming that it's not perceptible is plain wrong, and I'm not talking about photorealistic games, where the gap is massive. Astrobot and Genshin Impact look so much better than Mario and Zelda respectively, there's no possible comparison between the two from a technical standpoint. That also applies to animations. You see those games move and it's clear they don't belong to the same gen.
That is true but while the triangle world of PS1 was unbearable the PS3/Switch low-fi is like… aye… I could do that…

Indyblue

Dude I love my Switch and play it more than my ps5 but it’s not even a comparison from a technical aspect. Nor should it be, the ps5 is newer and the size of like 20 switches. lol

nordique

Switch has some great looking games that still look great on a big 4K tv

But OP, the graphics gap is not only real it is very big between those 2 systems. Literally 2 generations apart with the switch being a “ps3 plus”

iHaunter

It's still very misleading. There're many games that literally can't even be run on the switch, period. Let alone downgraded to oblivion lol.

EDMIX

You’re comparing graphical fidelity with artistic direction. Apples and oranges, dude.

Just look at any direct comparison between the same game on both systems. 🙄
This.

No disrespect OP, but you are just crying over a subjective opinion on art direction. Nothing you are saying has anything to do with "power" or anything of that nature as why the fuck would you start talking about Nintendo games? Why would you not use games on both to illustrate your point if this was simply a thing to discuss the difference of power or something?

So...this reeks of fanboyism man, no one is taking this seriously the moment you tried your best to ignore the very games that are on both platforms for a real example... We are all aware of why you are seeking to ignore that point to cherry pick games.

Imagine trying to compare 2 fucking TVs and be like "ok select the best film for this TV and another film for this other TV" you don't fucking think the person watching this demonstration is going to start to fucking question why you don't want to show the same fucking film on both?

Did you really think none us where going to start to show those comparisons of those multiplatform games or? lol

Thank you.

Not sure how you can say this with a straight face when we have so many multiplats available to make direct comparisons with..
The-Boys-Homelander-looks-bad-in-Mortal-Kombat-1-on-nintendo-switch.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

resize

Last edited:

DKPOWPOW

metroidprimeremastered_01.jpg

mp13.jpg

mp18.jpg

dims.jpg
1402377322000-WiiU-SuperSmashBros-screen-09.jpg

2018042719463900-bd0eb87287646f662eb9875856fe05ab.jpg

2018042715462900-bd0eb87287646f662eb9875856fe05ab.jpg

c4bd4bb0-1f1f-11ec-beee-57138e5ae421

Swamp_entrance_-_Link%27s_Awakening_Screen_Shot_9-17-19%2C_4.47_PM.jpg

Switch has some good looking games for sure, despite the tech. I think PS5/Series X are just starting to get used like they should have been for games now. It will be interesting to see what Switch 2 can do.

You're insane. There's a MASSIVE, multi-generational difference. A lot of Switch games (particularly ones made by Nintendo) have great art styles, but technically they look terrible on a modern TV.
Maybe the OP games on a 720p 32" set from a distance of 6 ft. Outside of this or bad eyesight, there really is no other explanation. All Switch games look like jagged messes on modern large screen TVs. You can get used to it, but it is objectively a worse experience than even a PS4.

There are no true next gen games pushing the PS5 to its limit its mostly games designed around PS4 limitations up ported to PS5
Having said that if you compare multiplatform games like doom or the Witcher 3 between PS4 and Switch the gap is clear
You have to define what next gen is, because this narrative gets confused with art work. HFW and Tlou2 on PS4 still look better than 99% of games releasing years later on more powerful hardware due to the animation and art work. Huge amount of details went into making those games look impressive. On the flip side a next gen only game like Returnal IS pushing the ps5 to its limits, but it does not look as good as those two.

Spiderman 2 pushes the ps5 to its limits. Its has the graphics, the option to travel very fast through the city by gliding or swinging and can be played above 60fps. I cant really think of another game on ps5 that allows you to play with raytracing on at 60f fps besides Rachet and Clank.

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
You have to define what next gen is, because this narrative gets confused with art work. HFW and Tlou2 on PS4 still look better than 99% of games releasing years later on more powerful hardware due to the animation and art work. Huge amount of details went into making those games look impressive. On the flip side a next gen only game like Returnal IS pushing the ps5 to its limits, but it does not look as good as those two.

Spiderman 2 pushes the ps5 to its limits. Its has the graphics, the option to travel very fast through the city by gliding or swinging and can be played above 60fps. I cant really think of another game on ps5 that allows you to play with raytracing on at 60f fps besides Rachet and Clank.
Yeah RDR2 is still better than most new open world games but they had someone animate horse genitalia.

Top Bottom