• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

z0m3le

Banned
I think those seriously speculating on the console's power being slower than a certain PC graphics card and specs, needs to remember that a lot of those resources end up being killed by the Windows OS, just listen to this:

'It's funny,' says AMD's worldwide developer relations manager of its GPU division, Richard Huddy. 'We often have at least ten times as much horsepower as an Xbox 360 or a PS3 in a high-end graphics card, yet it's very clear that the games don't look ten times as good. To a significant extent, that's because, one way or another, for good reasons and bad - mostly good, DirectX is getting in the way.' Huddy says that one of the most common requests he gets from game developers is: 'Make the API go away.'

'I certainly hear this in my conversations with games developers,' he says, 'and I guess it was actually the primary appeal of Larrabee to developers – not the hardware, which was hot and slow and unimpressive, but the software – being able to have total control over the machine, which is what the very best games developers want. By giving you access to the hardware at the very low level, you give games developers a chance to innovate, and that's going to put pressure on Microsoft – no doubt at all.' -AMD's Richard Huddy
that is from this interview here: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/03/16/farewell-to-directx/1

An HD6770 won't compete with Xenos in some ways, and really only trumps it when it comes to texture memory, Wii U's GPU will show us some stuff in it's lifetime that do look better than anything on this generation.

-MARIO
Even just from first party efforts, you have Mario's next 3D outing, if they pushed Galaxy that hard on Wii, just think how a game world that improves from 14GFLOPs to even 500GFLOPs... that is a very simple 35x increase to the chip... if it can maintain some fixed functionality. Wow...

-ZELDA
So what else can we expect from Nintendo IPs that might surpass uncharted 3's level of fidelity? Zelda, take Twilight Princess and look at what they did with that demo with old assets, give it a 2-3 year development time, and you could have a game that quite simply shatters it... I read what EC said about Zelda on Wii U not being able to match up to uncharted 3 if it was open-world like TP, but could maintain it if it was more compartmentalized like SS, Well even the most conservative specs still leave the system with much more ram to work with, which is why Uncharted 3 looked so good, give that ram to Wii U for those same level textures, or even higher textures like Alien's developer is doing, and you can push it further...

Don't forget about Tessellation being part of the GPU, that is something that PS3 just can't do from everything I've read, and Uncharted 3 shows that. Is it wishful thinking that Nintendo would spend the time and money on Zelda? well OoT took 2 years of most of Nintendo's teams to build, they care about how that game looks and if Retro and Monolith have to help out after their games go "gold" then that is exactly what Nintendo will do and we should simply expect it.

-RETRO
We all expect them to push the system, and we rightfully should expect it, they have a very talented team, they could be working on a Metroid PRIME 4, or a brand new IP, but it wouldn't matter, they've recently hired an Uncharted artist that has stated that this could be his best work yet...

-MONOLITH
http://andriasang.com/comwyh/monolith_wiiu_programmers/ in case anyone forgot, they have been working on that game for a year at least at this point, and we could expect it to simply be bigger than Xenoblade, that sort of huge open world with large landscapes and textures that simply should beat out anything we have from the current generation, add some of that magical lighting we saw in the bird demo and tessellation that we expect to be there, it might not be ready until 2014, but I for one think it will be worth the wait.

I might be optimistic about the Wii U, but really I don't think power has anything to do with how well Wii U does at this point, it will come down to the core gamers buying the box to play the games that third parties make, and these teams that are separately working on Wii U is largely good news, because that means they will likely pay attention to the pad, and give us features that the core game doesn't have, and I'm sorry I know some of you think tacked on things like that instantly make them inferior, but that is completely the wrong way to look at it, adding IR controls to COD made it better, if the game was exactly the same other than that, it would instantly be the 2nd best version of the game you could buy... (I'm a PC gamer too) But with the Wii U, well for once, it might topple the PC version, not with graphics and possibly not with better controls, but with features... I know that sounds a bit weird, but I'm sold on seeing what a team like DICE can do with the Wii U's pad if Ubisoft's ghost recon online can come up with stuff like that.

/HYPE

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
t1338912000z4.png

NNHHHHHGGGGGG!!

Can you make a countdown for when IdeaMan becomes a member?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
It's lucky that Nintendo will be able to patch Smash this time around, because Acid Ghost is going to need to be nerfed hard multiple times before the roster has any kind of balance.

BurntPork

Banned
Remember that the 3DS version was also to be on PSN and XBLA, but all versions were cancelled. SR4 should be safe as long as THQ doesn't die.

Allright guys, just for the hype. Remember when Reggie said he can't tell who done the Bird Demo ?
Let's imagine if it was Sega... for Shenmue 3 :p

Sponge

Banned
Remember that the 3DS version was also to be on PSN and XBLA, but all versions were cancelled. SR4 should be safe as long as THQ doesn't die.

I'd have to agree, Considering SR3 helped THQ in the long run it's not surprising we're getting another so soon.

BlackJace

Do guys think the eShop will ever be able to compete with the App Store and the Android Market?

In a few years they could amass a pretty respectable library, right?

Luigiv

Just like the 3DS got one, right?

To be fair the cancelling of the 3DS Saints Row had nothing to do with the 3DS itself. The title was going to be an XBLA, 3DS multiplat and both versions were cancelled simultaneously.

Edit: Beaten by Burnt Pork.

watershed

Banned
Do guys think the eShop will ever be able to compete with the App Store and the Android Market?

In a few years they could amass a pretty respectable library, right?
Compete in what sense? I already like and have bought more games off the 3ds eshop than I have the app store but the 3ds and wii u eshops will never gross as much money overall or have as much volume as ios.

Sorry to go back to the single touch vs multi touch debate, but having recently got myself a touch screen phone (HTC one X) after having a Blackberry for years, I've yet to come across a situation where multi touch is hugely beneficial.
Nintendo has some of the most creative teams in the world of video games and they have people with a very special talent: Abstract thinking. If there's someone that can come up with incredible uses for multi touch it's them. Most of the AAA devs are just good at iterating, picking stablished things and improve them.

So that argument doesn't hold much value.
None of the games or apps I've downloaded thus far have used it.
The browser is the only place that it may be useful (pinch to zoom) but a hold / tap to zoom would work pretty much just well I'd imagine.
It's incredible how fixated people had become with the "pinch to zoom". Multi touch allows for a vast combination of input and gestures that single touch can't match.

In general the advantages of going with a multi touch screen far out weight the disadvantages. At least the ones people defending the single touch bring up.

Adding to this, Nintendo systems have supported this type of touch screen interaction since 2004, so something more modern will be welcomed.

BlackJace

Compete in what sense? I already like and have bought more games off the 3ds eshop than I have the app store but the 3ds and wii u eshops will never gross as much money overall or have as much volume as ios.

Compete in the sense of gaining the same apps as they do. Maybe Nintendo can offer some incentives for app devs to develop for the eShop.

Of course I don't want the eShop to be bloated, but making Apple and Google look over their shoulders can't be anything but good from a consumer standpoint.

Nintendo has some of the most creative teams in the world of video games and they have people with a very special talent: Abstract thinking. If there's someone that can come up with incredible uses for multi touch it's them. Most of the AAA devs are just good at iterating, picking stablished things and improve them.

It's incredible how fixated people had become with the "pinch to zoom". Multi touch allows for a vast combination of input and gestures that single touch can't match.

In general the advantages of going with a multi touch screen far out weight the disadvantages. At least the ones people defending the single touch bring up.

Adding to this, Nintendo systems have supported this type of touch screen interaction since 2004, so something more modern will be welcomed.

Just because multi touch can support all these different gestures doesn't mean people actually use them or that they'd be particularly good for games

I think cost is the biggest and most important disadvantage in this case, at least for Nintendo.

Peru

Yeah multi touch is vastly superior for gameplay possibilities. Not sure why more alternatives would be a bad thing in any universe. I'm mostly interested in the screen as a real estate dump, though, and hope controls are traditional dual stick 90% of the time, so I'm not extremely bothered by how the touch screen functions.

Turrican3

I don't know. Mario didn't exactly make revolutionary use of the Wii pointer
Maybe not revolutionary, but the team used the wiimote in very clever ways that are not easily feasible (or not possible at all) with traditional, dual analog controllers, for example Yoshi's tongue
especially the very last star in SMG2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom