• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
It does my heart well to see that RMC is getting leaks. There was a bit of a gap in Nintendo coverage when Matt C. left IGN.

"Who would get pre-E3 leaks for us?" many of us would wonder.

Now, the answer may be presenting itself, and if true, I couldn't be more pleased.

Honestly, without knowing anything and without making any concrete predictions, I have a feeling the Nintendo E3 conference will be mind blowing. I'm talking better than E3 2010 - which was one of the very rare cases when even most of the enthusiast press was completely on board. I expect a great show, tons of games, and very unexpected surprises. Nintendo had extremely impressive showings unveiling the Wii in 2006 and the 3DS in 2010, and now we also have panic mode Nintendo which gave us stuff like the 3DS Conference 2011, one of the events with the highest density of new announcements I've ever seen, and finishing with a completely unexpected megaton to boot. Nintendo might even exceed all that this time.

Well, we know that Nintendo has a lot of question marks in their "list of development teams". They just stopped producing new console stuff for what feels like years, and the 3DS isn't enough to account for the sheep lapse of releases. I agree they're going to be bringing up a large number of titles.

Also that Shane guy.

edit:

Hmmm, so we had games playing off SD cards at E3 and CES (or was it GDC?) and it looks like we may have more of this (in addition to them playing off hard drives) according to current rumour. Would there be any particular benefit to Nintendo allowing game makers to package games onto branded SD cards? Like, maybe games with smaller file sizes so that the prices aren't astonomical? I know even then the prices aren't quite there, but maybe there's a bandfit I'm not seeing. It certainly would allow retailers to stock more boxes of games if they were so packaged. And people wouldn't mind being able to carry fifty games in their pocket. Well, rather nutty people, anyway.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I have a feeling that the Wii U may well adopt the 3DS's light colour scheme.

Yellow = A friend is online
Blue = Downloaded new content (Spotpass)
Green = Streetpass
Red = Battery low
Flashing Red = Battery really low

HylianTom

Banned
I have a feeling that the Wii U may well adopt the 3DS's light colour scheme.

Yellow = A friend is online
Blue = Downloaded new content (Spotpass)
Green = Streetpass
Red = Battery low
Flashing Red = Battery really low
I love this idea! Nice!

Metroid Dread?
Hmm.. the first series that came to mind when I think "one of RMC's favorite series" has to be Shantae. He friggin' loves that series. :)

jacksrb

This right here is an UNDERSTATEMENT of the guaranteed AAA of a lifetime MIND FUCK that Nintendo is going to put on at E3. It will single handily put every fucking past E3 show to shame since the beginning of time. Surprises? You want surprises? Nintendo is about to rape the population of bunnies with all the shit they going to be pulling out of their money hats.. Nintendo aint coming out swining, they coming out dual wielding, gun totin, rip jaw smokin a big phat fucking blunt!! If your lucky enough to be in the conference room you don't even need to be dropping any shit because you bout to go dizzy up the head from a contact buzz. Your head gonna be spinnin round and round and your jaw will turn to steel and drop to the floor.. You want it hardcore? Nintendo is going XXX on you!!

The MIND FUCK @ E3 this year from Nintendo will be PARAMOUNT.. Your mind, your jaw, your "my body is ready" will NOT be ready for this trip! So sit back and smoke some shit, eat some wild shrooms from the kingdom or drop some acid, because your puny fucking brain bout to EXPLODE!

Ha! That is both ridiculous and awesome. Made me smile.

[it should be pretty great]

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Recently, I've been trying to really get into this thread, but there's simply way too much doom and gloom. I'm totally excited about the system (specs and all), but anyone reading this thread as an outsider has to be thinking there's way more negativity here than anything positive. It's kind of sad.

Have you been reading antonz posts? I was pretty optimistic myself, interpreting bgassassin's tech talk to mean Wii U won't fair any worse this gen as PS2 was too the Xbox. But after realizing that antonz was a developer (or something; no one will come out and say ) I'm starting to fear we may have to live with a Dreamcast > Xbox 1 differential.

I never check that banned site ever on my own. I find it funny that 100% of my visits have come from GAF referrals even though it's supposedly banned here.

Have you been reading antonz posts? I was pretty optimistic myself, interpreting bgassassin's tech talk to mean Wii U won't fair any worse this gen as PS2 was too the Xbox. But after realizing that antonz was a developer (or something; no one will come out and say ) I'm starting to fear we may have to live with a Dreamcast > Xbox 1 differential.

Except we know nothing about when the other consoles are coming or how powerful they will be, so.

antonz

There is no reason to be that pessimistic. How the Wii U fares in the long run will depend on Support by owners of the console and how Publishers reward or ignore said support.

Ill say this. If Wii U owners decide to buy Major 3rd party games on the 360/PS3 instead and just buy Nintendo games then yes the Wii U will be treated like shit by publishers

Kangi

Hey, anyone else play the new Kirby game for Wii (Return to Dreamland)? I love it so far. The presentation/music was much better than I was expecting, and the abilities seem very well balanced and fun to use. Not even a huge Kirby fan and really enjoying it.
Yes, it is amazing. Hence my excitement for a new game announced at E3 for the anniversary.
Extra mode/copy ability challenge rooms/True Arena can be mind-numbingly hard.

VAPitts

i know this would be off subject but not too far. but would somebody mind posting the chart that analyst made predicting what the video game industry sales would look like in 2012? u know the one showing Sony ahead. i need it for reference. or if u could just link me to the site if you don't mind thank you

HylianTom

Banned
i know this would be off subject but not too far. but would somebody mind posting the chart that analyst made predicting what the video game industry sales would look like in 2012? u know the one showing Sony ahead. i need it for reference. or if u could just link me to the site if you don't mind thank you

Here ya go.. it's a personal favorite!
ProjectedConsoleChart_v1_460x323.gif

What does RMC love? I visit the site from time to time and never quite got what he loves other than the fact the guy seems to love everything. I think he likes Wrestling, so maybe it's a Wrestling game?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Except we know nothing about when the other consoles are coming or how powerful they will be, so.

Even without those consoles existing, people who seem to be in the know are warning us that Wii U games will only look negligibly better than 360 stuff. For me, part of the enjoyment of new consoles is experiencing that "next level" of the improved visuals. Its why the Wii launch was bitter sweet and I have never been hyped about a new handheld.

Even without those consoles existing, people who seem to be in the know are warning us that Wii U games will only look negligibly better than 360 stuff. For me, part of the enjoyment of new consoles is experiencing that "next level" of the improved visuals. Its why the Wii launch was bitter sweet and I have never been hyped about a new handheld.

We've never seen Nintendo games with this power though.

That alone should be as exciting to you if you like Nintendo first party games.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
I'd tend to agree with you, but mainly on the basis that we'll be seeing Nintendo franchises in HD for the first time, after over a decade on Gamecube-based hardware. There's also the fact that, apart from Pikmin 3, we have almost no idea what Wii U games they're going to show, so there will definitely be some surprises.

Mario Sunshine 2. BELIEVE!!

Here ya go.. it's a personal favorite!
ProjectedConsoleChart_v1_460x323.gif

I'm frankly pretty impressed at how close they got the Wii. Heck, it looks like they overestimated it a tiny bit (they have it over 100m last year, while it really left 2011 with ~97m).

What does RMC love? I visit the site from time to time and never quite got what he loves other than the fact the guy seems to love everything. I think he likes Wrestling, so maybe it's a Wrestling game?

Wrestling games on portables are pretty bad usually.

Gahiggidy

We've never seen Nintendo games with this power though.

That alone should be as exciting to you if you like Nintendo first party games.

Yeah, the Zelda HD demo does wow me, tbh. But like, we've been waiting 7 years for HD Nintendo. I kinda counted on us getting a big bonus for being so patient. :p

Yeah, the Zelda HD demo does wow me, tbh. But like, we've been waiting 7 years for HD Nintendo. I kinda figured we'd get a big bonus for being so patient. :p

Nintendo takes their time in getting to where core gamers want them to be, they're in their own universe but eventually they make strides.

To me, it'd be disappointing if they didn't have these "unusual" controllers as there wouldn't be too much difference between all three companies and that'd be boring.

I have no idea what Pikmin or Retro's game or even EAD Tokyo's Mario game(if there is one) will look like.

I go back and forth between them looking dam awesome and them just evolving graphically but with much deeper gameplay.

E3 is going to be weird, I have this feeling many here have an idea what the games will look like.......I have no idea.

Gahiggidy

I didn't know where else to put it but this pic just got me.

itoi-iwata.jpg

Iwata hanging out at Itoi's crib.
Wow, that's pretty spartan living quarters. I think the UE4 Diablo's castle foyer may have more polys than a real life Nintendo employee's home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom