• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

BD1

Banned
I didn't know where else to put it but this pic just got me.

itoi-iwata.jpg

Iwata hanging out at Itoi's crib.

The Boss without sleeves.

Weird.

BurntPork

Banned
There is no reason to be that pessimistic. How the Wii U fares in the long run will depend on Support by owners of the console and how Publishers reward or ignore said support.

Ill say this. If Wii U owners decide to buy Major 3rd party games on the 360/PS3 instead and just buy Nintendo games then yes the Wii U will be treated like shit by publishers

I don't know if I'd call a DC --> Xbox gap all that pessimistic. It's almost optimistic in fact.

NateDrake

The more I read this thread the more I wish Nintendo would walk on stage at E3 & tell everyone to STFU & then show a montage of awesome looking games.

Deguello

What does RMC love? I visit the site from time to time and never quite got what he loves other than the fact the guy seems to love everything. I think he likes Wrestling, so maybe it's a Wrestling game?

Yeah I hate to rag on RawMeatCowboy, but if you searched His Blog with the phrase "fan of" or "big fan of" you'd come back with a ridiculously large list.

I mean it's no problem to have varied tastes and be fans of multiple things at the same time, but it smacks of being disingenuous and also unhelpful in this regard where he's teasing about a game that he's a big fan of, which doesn't really narrow it down at all.

The more I read this thread the more I wish Nintendo would walk on stage at E3 & tell everyone to STFU & then show a montage of awesome looking games.

Reggie should come out and say "the first thing I'm going to address is specs...

you need ****ing specs if this doesn't excite you"

~shows first party lineup~

japtor

Oh, no way. Photoshop. I'd like to try Colors, but I like working on a bigger screen.
Like a Wii U tablet sized screen?
3DS Hype from RawMeatCowboy / the site you Go to for Nintendo news' twitter feed
EXCIT3D
Hmmm, so we had games playing off SD cards at E3 and CES (or was it GDC?) and it looks like we may have more of this (in addition to them playing off hard drives) according to current rumour. Would there be any particular benefit to Nintendo allowing game makers to package games onto branded SD cards? Like, maybe games with smaller file sizes so that the prices aren't astonomical? I know even then the prices aren't quite there, but maybe there's a bandfit I'm not seeing. It certainly would allow retailers to stock more boxes of games if they were so packaged. And people wouldn't mind being able to carry fifty games in their pocket. Well, rather nutty people, anyway.
The only thing I can think of (barring new unannounced things) is for retail distributed digital games, like include a code with it but copy the game off the card rather than download for huge games...but of course that could be done with a (presumably) much cheaper install disc + code.
What does RMC love? I visit the site from time to time and never quite got what he loves other than the fact the guy seems to love everything. I think he likes Wrestling, so maybe it's a Wrestling game?
Def Jam Vendetta 3(D)!
Even without those consoles existing, people who seem to be in the know are warning us that Wii U games will only look negligibly better than 360 stuff. For me, part of the enjoyment of new consoles is experiencing that "next level" of the improved visuals. Its why the Wii launch was bitter sweet and I have never been hyped about a new handheld.
The problem is the the "next level" might not be as noticeable as previous generations, you can see part of the reactions to that in the UE4 thread. Like technically stuff will be 10x better (or whatever BS multiplier) but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll look 10x better (...whatever the hell that would mean).
I don't think I've ever seen Iwata in casual clothing until now.
ASHyS.jpg

BY2K

Membero Americo

*Reggie walks on stage after the intro*

- My name is Reggie, and I'm not proud of you guys. Yeah, you, the gaming press. Yes, you! Stand up, I want to see you. You think I don't go on the internet? Just because Nintendo is a bit late on that doesn't mean that I am. I know we didn't really dispatched at lot of info on our new console since last year, but that doesn't mean you can report on anybody, named OR NOT, who pretends he's a developer on an insider and tells you how powerful our console is or is not.

Did you really think we'd go that route? Sega tried that, look where they are now. We're sitting here, preparing this big re-reveal just for you people, with lots of surprises and what do we get in the meantime? More Nintendo is doomed article that we can count. Nintendo to Dreamcast itself. HI-LA-RI-OUS.

Here what's what.

*BOOM, trailers*

(God, why did I wrote that?)

opi1saved

Neo Member
To me, it'd be disappointing if they didn't have these "unusual" controllers as there wouldn't be too much difference between all three companies and that'd be boring.
I'm getting Wii U day one and I'm excited about the controller, but I honestly would've been fine if they had stuck with the Wiimote/Nunchuck combo as the primary method (maybe packing in a Bluetooth GameCube-style controller). Could they have created a console with a "more satisfying", on paper spec set without all that R&D going inti the new controller? Either way, I'm perfectly happy with the way things look right now.

BurntPork

Banned
*Reggie walks on stage after the intro*

- My name is Reggie, and I'm not proud of you guys. Yeah, you, the gaming press. Yes, you! Stand up, I want to see you. You think I don't go on the internet? Just because Nintendo is a bit late on that doesn't mean that I am. I know we didn't really dispatched at lot of info on our new console since last year, but that doesn't mean you can report on anybody, named OR NOT, who pretends he's a developer on an insider and tells you how powerful our console is or is not.

Did you really think we'd go that route? Sega tried that, look where they are now. We're sitting here, preparing this big re-reveal just for you people, with lots of surprises and what do we get in the meantime? More Nintendo is doomed article that we can count. Nintendo to Dreamcast itself. HI-LA-RI-OUS.

Here what's what.

*BOOM, trailers*

(God, why did I wrote that?)

My crazy is rubbing off on you.

Have you been reading antonz posts? I was pretty optimistic myself, interpreting bgassassin's tech talk to mean Wii U won't fair any worse this gen as PS2 was too the Xbox. But after realizing that antonz was a developer (or something; no one will come out and say ) I'm starting to fear we may have to live with a Dreamcast > Xbox 1 differential.

Antonz has been saying the same thing as I have actually. We both said Wii U doesn't have the power we would have liked to have seen. I think it just flustered antonz for a moment (The inner Nintendo fanboy came out and briefly said hi. :p ) and it showed in his posts while I'm not bothered that Wii U won't hit what I think a next gen console should look like at worst. I still stand by everything I've said though.

I'm getting Wii U day one and I'm excited about the controller, but I honestly would've been fine if they had stuck with the Wiimote/Nunchuck combo as the primary method (maybe packing in a Bluetooth GameCube-style controller). Could they have created a console with a "more satisfying", on paper spec set without all that R&D going inti the new controller? Either way, I'm perfectly happy with the way things look right now.

Well, at least they didn't ditch the Wii controller schemes altogether.

They realize they are still relevant.

I'm curious to see what FPSs will use.

I am sure many developers will jump at the chance of using the new controller because it's the main selling point but AT LEAST, I hope they have Remote and Nunchuk options.

BD1

Banned
RMC just tweeted that the mystery game is NOT a first-party.

Callin it, it's Castlevania.

Yep, I'm with you. Castlevania.

I might be making this up, but wasn't there a rumor back around TGs that the 3DS Castlevania would be more similar to the N64 versions than the DS entires?

antonz

Antonz has been saying the same thing as I have actually. We both said Wii U doesn't have the power we would have liked to have seen. I think it just flustered antonz for a moment (The inner Nintendo fanboy came out and briefly said hi. :p ) and it showed in his posts while I'm not bothered that Wii U won't hit what I think a next gen console will look like at worst. I still stand by everything I've said though.

Indeed. I was a bit flustered for a day with some varying things and Nintendo took the brunt of it for the day. I think all Nintendo fans are in for a treat just need to make sure they buy more than just Nintendo games or they will probably find themselves upset again

BY2K

Membero Americo
Yep, I'm with you. Castlevania.

I might be making this up, but wasn't there a rumor back around TGs that the 3DS Castlevania would be more similar to the N64 versions than the DS entires?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Did we ever figure out who made the bird demo? Last I heard everyone was being really coy about it, with wink wink nudge nudge and all of that.

There was a rumor a few months back claiming Epic was working on the next Metroid. Attached to that rumor was a claim that that demo was a collaboration between Retro and Epic. It's tied to a rumor that we have no way of verifying, so take it with a grain of salt.

NateDrake

There was a rumor a few months back claiming Epic was working on the next Metroid. Attached to that rumor was a claim that that demo was a collaboration between Retro and Epic. It's tied to a rumor that we have no way of verifying, so take it with a grain of salt.

Thought the rumor was Retro was making Metroid using UE3.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I know RMC is a huge wrestling fan and I remember him asking (wanting) the developers to bring the new WWE game to the 3DS, so......

BY2K ask him if it is wrestling-related.

I'm pretty sure that Epic has a policy of not working on IP they don't own, so I don't think it'd be going out on a limb to call that rumor bullshit.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I know RMC is a huge wrestling fan and I remember him asking (wanting) the developers to bring the new WWE game to come to the 3DS, so......

BY2K ask him if it is wrestling-related.

He may love it, but he'd be smart enough not to tease a wrestling game. If he is, he will attract the fury of a thousand suns in the heart of gamers.

opi1saved

Neo Member
Well, at least they didn't ditch the Wii controller schemes altogether.

They realize they are still relevant.

I'm curious to see what FPSs will use.

I am sure many developers will jump at the chance of using the new controller because it's the main selling point but AT LEAST, I hope they have Remote and Nunchuk options.
Agreed. Looking forward to the tablet but IR aiming in CoD and Conduit spoiled me (Move controls weren't bad in Killzone 3, but honestly less impressive imo). As far as motion controls, only Skyward Sword and Red Steel 2 made me care.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
He may love it, but he'd be smart enough not to tease a wrestling game. If he is, he will attract the fury of a thousand suns in the heart of gamers.

Most likely, but if he loves WWE as much as I love...... say, Lost.... then I could see him being excited enough to post it on his personally twitter even if it was likely to be medicore. Not to mention NintendoGo and WWE fans go hand in hand.

Just saying, it's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom