• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness - Release Date Trailer, coming 26th January 2016

Archurro

Man, I'm am so hyped for this game. I remember being ready to play this 5 years ago... and now it's finally coming out. I think I'm on the same status as this guy from heroes of the web from GFW, and I'll be surprised if this doesn't have 10s across the board and GOTY by the end of the year.

Speaking of peeking at spoilers, I watched that ten minute walkthrough that Blow did on his stream last year and figured out a solution to the vault door at the end of the video. I feel like that might be able to tide me over until Tuesday night.

Yeah! This is what I like. Oh yeah. It kind of reminds me of the better days of gaming. On C64 and A500. When I was a child. Puzzles and fun graphics. Awesome!

And then it goes way deeper. Consider it bought.

Wok

Warning, people: the spoiler gate has been lifted, and they're starting to flood through. I was on the Witness subreddit on a speculation thread about what kinds of puzzles that we thought would be in the game, and someone shared a solution to a puzzle that was both NOT speculative and, as far as I know, NOT revealed elsewhere. Granted, it was covered with spoiler tags and started with "we know that" as if it were common knowledge, but it most assuredly was not.

So if you're planning on playing the game unspoiled, it might be best to step out of game discussion right around now.

Alright, see you in a week. I am disconnecting from the Internet.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of peeking at spoilers, I watched that ten minute walkthrough that Blow did on his stream last year and figured out a solution to the vault door at the end of the video. I feel like that might be able to tide me over until Tuesday night.

I couldn't possibly be any more excited for this.

roytheone

Not that any negative impressions would deter me at all from enjoying The Witness, it's nice to see that so far it's been nothing but praise. Looking forward to seeing some reviews and possibly Giant Bomb's quick look, although I might have to bail out to avoid spoiling myself too much.

You are looking forward to a quick look of a puzzle game? I expect a lot of screaming at the screen happening myself ;)

kami_sama

Depending on the reviews when the embargo lifts, I might purchase it. The price is a bit steep, but if the 80 hours of gameplay are true, they will be worth it.

JonnyKong

That ten minute video has got me excited.

I'm guessing each of those square panels will count as a "puzzle", so that total of 600 may not seem so intimidating if for example 12 or so of them like that are done in just ten minutes.

I can't wait! I just want to see what's behind that vault door so bad.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Steam games aren't released on the day when the store itself updates? I always thought that.

That's the case by default but it's not a requirement. "Big" releases in particular (e.g. the AssCreed or Call of Duty of the year) tend to have region-specific unlock times.

Robiin

Except for the pan-around-the-island trailer at the PS4 reveal and some early gameplay walking around a house and solving line puzzles, I have not seen anything about this game. Reading impressions, it seems this was worth the wait and patience! I shall not read any more, not reviews, not the OT nor this thread. I will try to play this as free of spoilers as I can. I have no idea what I'm in for, all I know is it is Jonathan Blow, who blew my mind with Braid and seems to have a vision and mindset different from most everyone in the developer community. Bring on tomorrow!

Acccent

Is there any known significant difference between the PC & PS4 versions (apart from eventual VR compat)? Or should one just get the one that's most convenient...?

MaxiLive

All the preview comments sound like this is going to be a fantastic puzzle game and you know what I'm currently in the market for? A decent puzzle game!

I've just purchased from the Humble Store and patiently waiting for tomorrow after work :D

Hopefully it's out 6pm GMT like most Steam games.

Ansatz

Is this game all line puzzles? With such an amazing world it feels wrong to waste it all on that.

What do you mean by waste, in other games the landscape and buildings are nothing more than eye candy. In TW everything you see in the world has a deeper meaning and is tied to a gameplay element, it's the complete opposite of waste.

Fret

Is this game all line puzzles? With such an amazing world it feels wrong to waste it all on that.

Well this is the interesting part, we have no idea what the game actually is about. I think the line puzzles are a big misdirection

Bollocks

Can we all just appreciate how good the game looks?
Coming from Braid this is a big step up, although I'm sure he got a lot more help this time around.

"Is it all line puzzles?" is our new "But what do you do in No Man's Sky?".

I know you guys have been hearing this a lot in this thread, so it sounds very annoying, but I totally understand the "is it all line puzzles?" argument. I, myself, wasn't interested in the game until a few days ago because, yes, it looked like an overproduced "connect the dots" puzzle game. If you're not following the game closely, that's exactly what it looks like. I only realized this could be something special when I came to this thread a few days ago and some of you guys explained to me why you're so excited about it (and you've convinced me, now I'm very excited and I'll buy the game in a few hours).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
does the Humble Store typically unlock at the same time for everyone, or is it region specific?

Venom Fox

Banned
I actually can't wait to buy it. I've not posted a lot in here but I've lurked and I feel like this game is going to become something special.

Anyway do we reckon it'll unlock 00:01 GMT for us UK folk?

Top Bottom