• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness - Reviews Thread

They're both true when you understand that 1 is a full or perfect number.

10/10 for a product with flaws makes zero sense. Please stop. -.-

That isn't what a perfect number is, it's a number that is the sum of its divisors.

6 is the smallest perfect number, its divisors are 1,2, and 3.

1+2+3=6

Math

Vice

Why not?

One day we may get a game worthy of a perfect score. 0s, 1s, and 2s are almost never used by the most honest reviewers, but they have every right to be on the scale as well.

10/10 means perfect. That's math - something that really isn't debatable, so you guys shouldn't even try.
10 just means really great or a masterpiece on the vast majority of rating scales. And, even if it did the reviewer may still believe the game is perfect anyway. It's a subjectice assessment.

Stoze

For reference, here's how excited I am for the game:
From most anticipated game of 2016 thread-
1. The Witness: I think this has been my most anticipated game since it was announced a few years back. After playing The Talos Principle, I think I've confirmed to myself that first person puzzlers are my favorite genre/subgenre of video games. Everything I've seen and heard from the dev blog and trailers seem like something I would love, and I can't wait to jump into that world and start solving puzzles.
2015 thread-
1. The Witness: My most anticipated game of next year. The mysterious island that Blow and his team have created looks ripe for exploration, and based on Braid and what little we've been shown, I don't doubt that the puzzle design will be immaculate and satisfying. Release date for this was given recently as "not too late into 2015", hopefully Blow really means that because I badly want to play this game.

...yeah.

I'm torn on this game. On the one hand, I loved Braid, and it's reviewing great. On the other hand, the puzzles I've seen haven't seemed interesting to me at all, and I'm not sure 700 line puzzles can sustain my interest.

Trojan

image.php

kpaadet

If a game gets a 8/10 does it mean it's 80% perfect and 20% flawed? Stop trying to add mathematical logic into what basically is just a recommendation scale, the higher the number the more likely the reviewer is to recommend it. I feel like this dumb discussion have been going on since the dawn of time.

Chi3fster

Banned
That isn't what a perfect number is, it's a number that is the sum of its divisors.

6 is the smallest perfect number, its divisors are 1,2, and 3.

1+2+3=6

Math

My mistake.

That still leaves the rest of my argument. 10/10 tells me that The Witness is the best puzzle game and there's no objective reason to play any other puzzle game to date. The latter is very unlikely to be true.

StoveOven

Banned
My mistake.

That still leaves the rest of my argument. 10/10 tells me that The Witness is the best puzzle game and there's no objective reason to play any other puzzle game to date. The latter is very unlikely to be true.

That makes even less sense than your previous arguments. Just because something is the best in its respective genre means that nothing else in that genre is worth playing? Where does that logic come from?

I want to play this game but I'm weary about the playthrough times. I like first person experiences like this but I've never seen one that would keep my interest for 40 or 50 hours.

My mistake.

Maybe you should go by the definition that the actual sites use, and not inject your own definition

Axass

Who cares about 10s, it's getting heaps of praise, it's going to be an amazing game, that's all that matters.

My mistake.

That's a very strange way to look at things. So, in your life, you would only read the best book ever, watch the best movie ever, and play the best game ever, and no other media at all is worth consuming?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
My mistake.

Your logic is so fucking flawed.

Man, Blow must be damn exhausted. This game has been what, 8 years in the making?

He's finally done. I am going to assume that there will be no DLC for this game either.

In which case, I am very curious what's next for him. Probably a long vacation.

Vice

My mistake.

Scores aren't onjective though. And, even if they were you can play and enjoy something else even if a "perfect" similar product exists. No one eats only perfect food, drives only perfect cars, wears only perfect shoes etc. personal taste is a big factor.

Any word on the realistic length of this game? Can't really delve into a 20+ hour experience at the moment but would love to play this.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.

What is your definition of a perfect game? What's a flaw in that vocabulary? Can a game by definition be perfect? Can a game be perfect in any sense of the word? Is it meaningful to discuss perfection concerning games if not in the loosest possible definition (hyperbole)? If 10 means perfect what does 9 mean? Does it mean 10% less than perfect? Is 10% out of perfect like saying 10% out of 0? If 9 out of 10 is impossible to judge: why use numbers? Personally I feel words are a poor substitute, they're only simulacrum or metaphors at best. I'm personally only content when games have moved away from written and numbered reviews and only review in mind-states transmitted through ether.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Chi3fster, the fuck is you doing right now with this mental gymnastics? lol
Stop digging deeper mang.

Can't you people understand that Chi3fster's definition of a 10/10 game is more valid than that of the actual reviewers assigning that score??

It doesn't matter what they and practically everyone else says! Please stop -.-

Chi3fster, this is what 10/10 indicates on IGN
MASTERPIECE

Simply put: this is our highest recommendation. There’s no such thing as a truly perfect game, but those that earn a Masterpiece label from IGN come as close as we could reasonably hope for. These are classics in the making that we hope and expect will influence game design for years to come, as other developers learn from their shining examples.

On Polygon
A score of 10 is the highest recommendation we can give. 10s represent ambitious games that succeed in ways few games have, and that we expect will be part of the gaming conversation for some time. These are the "must-plays." However, this is not a "perfect" score. We've never played a perfect game. Except for The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

And so on. What you think a 10/10 is or isnt doesnt matter. These are what they mean for the sites rating the games.

SFenton

This really shouldn't have to be restated and I feel bad derailing the thread, but think of 3/3, 5/5, 10/10, etc. as the highest possible recommendation our rating system allows instead of perfect game and these kind of scores won't bother you as much.

Yeah, that's how I think of it too. With that being said, there are very few occasions where I see a game get a 10/10 and think "wow, it deserved it!"- normally I think a 10 can be kind of clickbaity, like a very low score for an actually good game.

GhaleonEB

My mistake.

Review numbers are only meaningful in the context of the site giving the review. So, when you see a 10/10 or 5/5, look to that particular review site to see what their scale means. They do not align with the definition you are using.

Chi3fster, this is what 10/10 indicates on IGN

On Polygon

And so on. What you think a 10/10 is or isnt doesnt matter. These are what they mean for the sites rating the games.

Thanks for those. It's noteworthy that both definitions specifically say the top score does NOT signal a perfect game.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
It doesn't matter what the site says. I know for a fact when Polygon gives a 7.5 it is the best game evaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Review numbers are only meaningful in the context of the site giving the review. So, when you see a 10/10 or 5/5, look to that particular review site to see what their scale means. They do not align with the definition you are using.

But that's not absolute enough -.-

Deadstar

What's the consensus on pc vs ps4? Only difference would probably be resolution and framerate? Anyone know what the ps4 version runs at?

Also, seems like this might be more "fun" with a controller on ps4. You can obviously use the ps4 controller on pc but it sounds like that's a lot of trouble.

It's not even just that, for most sites the score aligns simply to the reviewer alone and how he was feeling at the time. So its not really comparable to anything outside of a suggestion if you should get the game or not.

Trojan

I would like gaming sites to include a score above 10, which will be dubbed "The Chi3fer". Once a game has been awarded The Chi3fer, and the Chi3fer algorithm has determined that it is a perfect game, the site will stop reviewing games of that genre. Other games cannot reach that level of perfection and it is pointless reviewing lesser games.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
80-100 hours to see everything? Damn, that's a commitment but considering I dumped 60+ hours into that disappointing ass game(FO4), this should be way more pleasant to say the least.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
What's the consensus on pc vs ps4? Only difference would probably be resolution and framerate? Anyone know what the ps4 version runs at?

Also, seems like this might be more "fun" with a controller on ps4. You can obviously use the ps4 controller on pc but it sounds like that's a lot of trouble.

2OfGd8g.png

This gave me an idea: The Witness |OT| ●───

(It's the door puzzle.)

It's unlocking worldwide coincident with tomorrow's store update, but Blow said he'll look into having the time moved forward to midnight (which I think Valve will allow).

This really is perfect because it fits the spirit of the game.

Top Bottom