• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox Subreddits will be 'shutting down'

Draugoth

Gold Member
Hero-726e070d5c2977fa2e9c.png

The r/XboxSeriesX and r/XboxOne subreddits, the biggest Xbox subreddits on reddit will be 'shutting down', these subreddits have millions of members each, the announcement was made today.

The decision was requested by Major Nelson & Microsoft (one year ago) as a request for consolidation:

We'd first like to extend a very sincere thank you to each of you who visit and participate with us. Today we are announcing some important changes to the overall structure of these communities. [...] we've heard time and again about frustrations with how the Xbox communities on Reddit are structured. Via mod mail, comment, and even from Xbox team members directly.

Instead, they will be moving towards a single focused subreddit, called r/Xbox:

Users are not happy:

This is a really shitty and stupid idea

Why? So much explanation and it doesn't make sense. Dumbest action ever?! 👎.

This is a bad idea and it will cripple the Xbox reddit community

MS not only closes studios but also subreddits? How long before we get merged into MicrosoftGaming?

What a genuinely terrible decision

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Even the redditors are having problems with naming conventions. More clickbait titles from OP however as they are just consolidating into a single reddit.

The issue is that "xbox" now also encompasses PC, cloud and mobile.

There was a reason people tend to gravitate towards the console specific subreddits, particularly if they are facing an issue (or seeking a solution to one) specific to the platform they are using.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
How about just shut reddit down entirely? It’s a shell of its former self. (This is coming from someone who worked there for 3 years and currently runs the /r/gaming subreddit…)

Steve Huffman destroyed it.

Mortisfacio

Banned
As someone not a part of the community, makes sense. Different Reddit communities are annoying for a non-frequent user. Like /r/Helldivers vs /r/Helldivers2

The latter is clearly the less traffic variant, but then you get ones like /r/wow where you post about classic and people tell you to go post on /r/classicwow instead. To have this expectation of knowing all the nuances of each community is stupid.

King Dazzar

I think its a bad move. When I had an XSX, I thought it was useful to read platform specific pieces and know responses were from others with same hardware. I cant be alone as it has 3.7m subs. Now you're going to have every gen and all hardware dumped into the one area.

For PlayStation, I can look at a general area as well as platform specific one too. Long may that continue.

Having said that, I only use reddit to occasionally read a bit here and there and I no longer have an XSX.
Joe Biden Oops GIF by The Democrats

Oppoi

Were they caught manipulating the forum? edit, oh fuck this is not just some subreddit. Hold my hand adamsapple.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
The issue is that "xbox" now also encompasses PC, cloud and mobile.

There was a reason people tend to gravitate towards the console specific subreddits, particularly if they are facing an issue (or seeking a solution to one) specific to the platform they are using.

Well there’s no problem then since nobody cares about their PC app, cloud streaming, and their mobile games

King Dazzar

Just been reading lots of the comments and not one person so far is happy about it. Do Xbox wander around during the day looking for way's to piss off their fanbase? They seem to be experts at it these days.

Here's a chart to make you feel great about being force migrated. It reads like a load of wank to me.

3sWN2mx.jpeg

I remember enjoying a PC Format's magazine forum. It was great, localised, warm friendly and you spoke directly with magazine writers. Great community built up. Then one day the magazines owners decide that they want it to migrate. So it became this new wishy washy for the masses, arsehole of the earth. And they lost all the OG community, good will and it all disappeared. And this was at a time when magazines were fighting for support.

Oh well, Xbox will be Xbox.

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
Reminds me of when /r/games decided to ban April Fools game fun posts to protest some political shit one year. Reddit supermods and mods of big communities are some of the most pathetic people I've ever read about. The reddit mods are there to serve the communties, not the other way around.

nial

How about just shut reddit down entirely? It’s a shell of its former self. (This is coming from someone who worked there for 3 years and currently runs the /r/gaming subreddit…)

Steve Huffman destroyed it.
Reminds me of when /r/games decided to ban April Fools game fun posts to protest some political shit one year. Reddit supermods and mods of big communities are some of the most pathetic people I've ever read about. The reddit mods are there to serve the communties, not the other way around.
So, there is r/games AND r/gaming?

If I have an issue with my PC I don't think I've ever once found help on Reddit. It's always some random tech forum not gaming related that has the answers.

StereoVsn

Do they still have “classic” Xbox subreddits for say OG Xbox and 360? If yes, eh, don’t think it’s huge idea. If not, it’s fucking dumb.

To be fair the only time I go to Reddit is when Google takes me there, lol.

Metnut

Reddit moderators are some of the worst people on the internet. They’ve convinced themselves that they are something more than glorified squatters. The site’s format does 90% of the moderation itself anyway.

Remember when these losers tried to shut down many popular subreddits because of some corporate policy change?

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
This is a really shitty and stupid idea
So on brand then? loljk

This is actually not a bad idea in theory. It actually makes a lot of sense. How it actually plays out though, we'll see.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
So, there is r/games AND r/gaming?
Yeah. I co-created /r/Games with my friend and coworker in (I think) 2012. It was meant to be an alternative to /r/gaming since that subreddit had become overrun with memes, and I didn’t want to necessarily restrict user submissions. So we created /r/Games, which has much, much heavier restrictions on what can be posted, to ideally facilitate more discussion-based content.

Here’s the cringey meme-filled post we made to explain things to the community of /r/gaming back in the day:

I’ve since stopped moderating /r/Games, as I just don’t have the time to keep up with it. But it’s still something I’m reasonably proud of.

Nydius

Instead, they will be moving towards a single focused subreddit, called r/Xbox (which is pratically dead)

Users are not happy:

Meh, they’ll get over it. If all of the console-specific subs merge into one official Xbox sub, it will no longer be “dead”.

It was stupid to have subreddits for each console in the first place. Xbox is Xbox, use titles and flair to separate threads by console.

Of course having subscribed to both the Series X and Series S subs, I can understand why some people are bitching. Some Series X sub posters used to relentlessly bash Series S sub users (and vice versa). They’ll just have to suck it up and coexist.

Last edited:

yurinka

Is it possible to merge/redirect subreddits? I don't know why these other two existed, would make more sense to have a single one for all Xbox generations.

Dj Khaled Mtv Emas GIF by 2020 MTV EMA

While I understand the urge to merge, they could have held off on this for a little bit due to obvious reasons. Maybe not so obvious if you're some BUFFOON in a suit at MS, but still.

Top Bottom