• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox Subreddits will be 'shutting down'

gokurho

1awujpZ.jpeg

Xbox OT may be shut down in purple forum:pie_lcry::pie_lcry::pie_lcry:
Please vote "No", everyone 🙆‍♂️👳‍♂️💍🙅‍♂️!

feynoob

Gold Member
How about just shut reddit down entirely? It’s a shell of its former self. (This is coming from someone who worked there for 3 years and currently runs the /r/gaming subreddit…)

Steve Huffman destroyed it.
I would rather twitter get delisted. Reddit still has alot of cool stuff.

Yeah. I co-created /r/Games with my friend and coworker in (I think) 2012. It was meant to be an alternative to /r/gaming since that subreddit had become overrun with memes, and I didn’t want to necessarily restrict user submissions. So we created /r/Games, which has much, much heavier restrictions on what can be posted, to ideally facilitate more discussion-based content.

Here’s the cringey meme-filled post we made to explain things to the community of /r/gaming back in the day:

I’ve since stopped moderating /r/Games, as I just don’t have the time to keep up with it. But it’s still something I’m reasonably proud of.

r/games is much better than r/gaming. I just gave up on r/gamingg when every post was either 'look what I found in my grandmas attic!' or 'who else remembers this gem?'....

Yeah. I co-created /r/Games with my friend and coworker in (I think) 2012. It was meant to be an alternative to /r/gaming since that subreddit had become overrun with memes, and I didn’t want to necessarily restrict user submissions. So we created /r/Games, which has much, much heavier restrictions on what can be posted, to ideally facilitate more discussion-based content.

Here’s the cringey meme-filled post we made to explain things to the community of /r/gaming back in the day:

I’ve since stopped moderating /r/Games, as I just don’t have the time to keep up with it. But it’s still something I’m reasonably proud of.

/r/gaming is unreadable. Eventually /r/games will end up the same way, but thanks for delaying the inevitable just a bit more.

Reddit is just a mess.
I'm sure most people get on with it fine but I've never liked it.
It seems like a big cluster fuck.

The hivemind cesspool of Reddit is why I came here, to get back to chronological interest based forums that move at a slower pace, with a community of users you can actually get to know. It seems kind of lame, but I recognize a lot of users on GAF. Even if nobody recognizes me, it feels much more like being part of a community than any subreddit ever did.

• Strength
Reactions: TGO
Of all the things to be upset about, this isn't one of them imo. They're consolidating the community into an Xbox focused subreddit for discussion. Not sure where the drama is.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Just been reading lots of the comments and not one person so far is happy about it. Do Xbox wander around during the day looking for way's to piss off their fanbase? They seem to be experts at it these days.

Here's a chart to make you feel great about being force migrated. It reads like a load of wank to me.

3sWN2mx.jpeg

I remember enjoying a PC Format's magazine forum. It was great, localised, warm friendly and you spoke directly with magazine writers. Great community built up. Then one day the magazines owners decide that they want it to migrate. So it became this new wishy washy for the masses, arsehole of the earth. And they lost all the OG community, good will and it all disappeared. And this was at a time when magazines were fighting for support.

Oh well, Xbox will be Xbox.
Reddit mods are basically the worst people on the internet and live for the updoots and the ability to demand and force a social consensus. It is the opposite of how any actual community is formed.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The hivemind cesspool of Reddit is why I came here, to get back to chronological interest based forums that move at a slower pace, with a community of users you can actually get to know. It seems kind of lame, but I recognize a lot of users on GAF. Even if nobody recognizes me, it feels much more like being part of a community than any subreddit ever did.
Yes this isn't a comments section with random user comments who you'll never see again.
We actually have members that have own personality and traits who you can kinda get to know.
Although I do remember when threads would disappear quickly because how many people was posting.

Should have done that long time ago. Or at least migrated the posts and topics to Xbox thread.

Usually in such cases viewership plummets as people don't move.

Last edited:

N30RYU

Clearly they don't wanna handle the inminent closing more studios backslash on 3 fronts...

Last edited:
Lmfao. All the world's problems and these fucks are crying over having to visit a different URL to discuss their soon to be defunct console. Who the hell cares.

nemiroff

Gold Member
The headline is amusing. I mean, you can't blame the author for being a clickbait whore really. Just imagine all those delicious clicks..

xrnzaaas

r/xbox is a pretty empty place. I don't think it's just because of the trolls downvoting everything and I don't expect that everyone will move there. They should just allow people post where they want.

And, most of all, subreddits should be handled by enthusiasts, not become carefully moderated ad platforms for the big corpos (from what it's been suggested Nelson from xbox pushed for the merge).

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Shit move, but it should have been expected in hindsight. Not a Reddit user, but as a long time lurker I am sure that they did it for all the wrong reasons.

FewRope

Everytime I see Reddit I remember those compilation videos from Oneyplays shitting on it, its so accurate

Last edited:

Hudo

And nothing of value was lost. Reddit is the same as Twitter and other social media platforms: Absolute trash.

King Dazzar

reddit does a very poor job of removing mods that screw up subreddits with stupid crap like this. If the mods want to go spend all of their time on r/xbox then more power to them, but reddit should give the console subreddits to someone else if the users want to keep them going.
My understanding is that this is at least in part being driven by Xbox itself though?

Reddit mods are basically the worst people on the internet and live for the updoots and the ability to demand and force a social consensus. It is the opposite of how any actual community is formed.
Yeah in 6 years I've posted 30 times. And many of those I regretted. But I still read bits of it and gain some knowledge. That's why having a platform focused element was useful.

Initially you may think this is a good move, but it isn’t.

There are separate subreddits for PS5, PS4, PS3, PS2, and PSX. It works very well. People contribute relevant content and it’s easy to see the content you want.

Merging and relying on “flairs” makes everything cluttered, more difficult to post and find content, and more difficult to moderate.

This Xbox thing just seems like an attempt to make Xbox seem more popular than it really is by shoehorning everyone into one place. Hell, Microsoft themselves is probably behind this.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Now xbox controls reddit too, more shilling and censorship

It would be much easier to just sit back and ride the horse. This started with a request from Larry Hryb (Major Nelson) over a year ago. Users had two full weeks earlier this year to respond to a survey about the future of these communities that was stickied atop r/xbox, r/xboxgamepass, r/xboxone, and r/xboxseriesx

Last edited:
People wanted this when the Xbox Series X was announced, it didn't make sense to keep the main subreddit as "xboxone", considering the backwards compatibility would leave the X1 redundant for most.

I find gaming discussion on reddit to be enjoyable if it isn't r/gaming. Lots of people on the Xbox Series subreddit manage to talk about other consoles without the hysterics you'd find here. Same with the PS5 subreddit.

I like gaming communities like r/patientgamers, r/metroidvania and r/gamedev.

Dr_Ifto

I think the main subreddit makes more sense than branches for hardware specific. Can always title things for hardware specific items. Also makes things easier to find, everything all in one place.

Why not just merge with r/gaming r/games r/hobbies r/zocken etc. too? Then MS could announce a whole lot more users suddenly interested in "their" brand.

I get it, special divisions are maybe difficult to understand and navigate for anyone not active in specific parts of a virtual place, but those special interests group were formed and often purposely visited because they where specifically about that interest and not a mishmash of other things. Most obviously Twitter but social media, web 2.0 and whatnot only exist because many people wanted a digitized and often dumbed down version of newpapers and live in short attentian span bubbles.
Funneling anything in just one place makes it easier for a community manager and to get official information out just in one place, but it naturally lessens the interest of (some) the most active users that where there because it was exactly what interested them.
Before Twitter, Discord, Facebook, Blogs companies also were able to tell potential customers and already customers everything, but all these specific subsets of the internet made their life probably harder, certainly forgeting to post message xyz on this and that and their target audience's minds narrower, expecting only their news and not wanting to read anything not concerning what thex want.

consoul

Breaking: Microsoft acquires Reddit and shuts down popular subreddits. /s

I mean, it kind of makes sense now, but 5 years from now wouldn't it better to have different subs for 360, X1 and XSX? Just leave it be.

This sounds like a really stupid decision in the wake of all the other shit they have going on. They are shooting their selves in the foot like Kinect/Always Online all over again.

I'm sure it'll be fine once they open up a singular sub. But that place is going to be like a communist hive mind. You won't be able to say a single negative thing I bet.

That's usually why there are so many subs for a single game or console. Some people don't want to be in the main sub because their opinions get shit on.

recursive

How about just shut reddit down entirely? It’s a shell of its former self. (This is coming from someone who worked there for 3 years and currently runs the /r/gaming subreddit…)

Steve Huffman destroyed it.
Yea fuck reddit. I got perm banned for suggesting someone use the reddit care line. Bunch of snowflakes.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Not familiar with the Xbox subs, but generally I prefer when the subs are more fragmented so I can pick the one that has less tards posting in it.

E.g. r/pcgaming is pretty decent whereas r/pcmasterrace is filled with zero IQ dipshits and painfully unfunny memes. r/worldnews occasionally has some decent and thought-provoking discussion whereas r/news is filled with shrieking circle-jerking progressives

Nonehxc

Fuck. 😐

Phil Spencer just fired his fans. 😬

'We are commited to bring you great games on great hardware. We identified some overlaps in our structure, since we won't have any great games, nor any great hardware, we optimized YOU.

Here, has a t-shirt avatar and a backpack profile pic'

Top Bottom