• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox Subreddits will be 'shutting down'

I think the main subreddit makes more sense than branches for hardware specific. Can always title things for hardware specific items. Also makes things easier to find, everything all in one place.

So why not merge into r/consolegaming? Can always title things for hardware specific items, everything in one place.

Merge into r/gaming? For the same reasons.

makes perfect sense to do this, its stupid to have those seperate
I find it interesting that Xbox fans care so little about prior generations of their hardware that they are willing to just pile it all into one big blob.

I can't imagine the users of r/psx or r/ps2 being content to be lumped into r/playstation. There is a culture and history behind these consoles that people respect to this day.

I mean, I get it. I owned and enjoyed an original Xbox back in 2002, but I don't give a shit about it or the games now. Meanwhile, I have PS1 games on display like a shrine and still play them to this day on original hardware.

Dr_Ifto

So why not merge into r/consolegaming? Can always title things for hardware specific items, everything in one place.

Merge into r/gaming? For the same reasons.
There comes a point when there are too many branches, too many subreddits to subscribe to. XBOX is a community more so than xboxone and xboxseriesx. I frequent the playstation subreddit more than the ps5 or ps4 ones. Just too much to keep track of.

Hoddi

/r/XboxSeriesS is where it's at anyway. There's no negativity and barely any moderation; just people enjoying their Xbox and posting stupid memes.

It's an oasis.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Ah yes, Reddit. Where most forums contain people under the age of 12 who just want to be assholes and down vote you for everything.

With the exception of a few mature subreddits, like r/40klore, it's a complete fucking dumpster dive.

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
aren't these subreddits run by randoms who managed to register one before anyone else? Like when the name of the Switch successor is released, someone is bound to register a subreddit within nanoseconds for it.

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
Reddit... the subreddits owned by the corpomonkeys. If you write anything controversial, you get downvoted and your answer never pops up. Show your fresh Phil buttcheek tattoo... 1500 upvotes.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
I find it interesting that Xbox fans care so little about prior generations of their hardware that they are willing to just pile it all into one big blob.

I can't imagine the users of r/psx or r/ps2 being content to be lumped into r/playstation. There is a culture and history behind these consoles that people respect to this day.

I mean, I get it. I owned and enjoyed an original Xbox back in 2002, but I don't give a shit about it or the games now. Meanwhile, I have PS1 games on display like a shrine and still play them to this day on original hardware.
Considering no company has worked harder on backwards compatibility than microsoft i think its fair that its 1 subreddit, shit all works on the new one

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Considering no company has worked harder on backwards compatibility than microsoft i think its fair that its 1 subreddit, shit all works on the new one
Laugh Lol GIF

nani17

are in a big trouble
It's the opposite of "making sense". Users had specific Xbox Series X issues or love that they wanted to talk about. Now? Nope! Just overall vague "Xbox".
Not necessarily because like here posts will have tags. So one tag will say news another 360 another xbox one etc

Laptop1991

Is this to silence criticism, less places to voice an opinion is not a good thing, i don't use Reddit a lot but have had some mod suggestion's from there over the years for Fallout 4 etc, it depends why it's being shut down for me

Last edited:

Trilobit

So I just skimmed the reasons, but I think the main(only) reason is that Microsoft wants only one sub and they have paid off the mods of the other subs for easier marketing. There's no way mods would step down from their power just for the best of Xbox brand.

ManaByte

Gold Member
It's the opposite of "making sense". Users had specific Xbox Series X issues or love that they wanted to talk about. Now? Nope! Just overall vague "Xbox".

Even though there are PS3, PS4, PS5 subreddits most of the PS discussion on Reddit is in r/PlayStation.

Why is that OK for PS but not Xbox?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Not necessarily because like here posts will have tags. So one tag will say news another 360 another xbox one etc

But now you are expecting everyone to use what tags are and how to use tags.

Even though there are PS3, PS4, PS5 subreddits most of the PS discussion on Reddit is in r/PlayStation.

Did you just acknowledge that there are more than one subreddit?

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

Not quite sure that you know how Reddit works. Anyone can create a subreddit. Anyone. Hell there's a r/PlayStationClassic subreddit. But these days r/PlayStation gets the majority of the traffic. There are several fan-run Xbox subs, but MS ran r/XboxOne and r/XboxSeriesX and r/Xbox. They're consolidating those into r/Xbox. r/XboxSeriesS, r/originalXbox, r/XboxGamePass, etc aren't affected as those aren't run by MS.

nani17

are in a big trouble
But now you are expecting everyone to use what tags are and how to use tags.

It's not that hard to use tags on Reddit and I'll be something people will just have to get used to

Trilobit

There is r/Nintendo and r/Nintendoswitch that both have their own feel and focus. I prefer a multitude of subs over one behemoth. The risk of not allowing criticism gets bigger if it's too centralized and ripe for a company to just make the sub an extension of its marketing division. r/StarWars for example is just an endless stream of unearned positivity instead of a place for balanced discussion.

Top Bottom