• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There was a Tumblr-Con this weekend. It ended in disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chariot

Shit get's more hillarious the more I read about it.
- Only 500 tickets were made available each day, making it well-nigh impossible for the convention to achieve the projected 3,000-7,000 attendees they originally assumed would show up.

- Tumblr user kirbeh described hotel mints being given away at a panel as competition prizes.

- The so-called “game room” featured a single TV and console.

- The moderator for Noelle Stevenson’s panel never showed up, so she had to moderate it herself.

- Several videos making fun of the convention surfaced online, filmed by someone who claimed that they found it easy to just wander in without paying for a day pass.

- The DashCon blog said they were “in partnership” with the charity Random Acts, but the convention does not appear to have been publicly acknowledged by Random Acts.

- A blogger claiming to be a former DashCon volunteer posted a lengthy account of their experiences during the planning stages of the convention, along with what appears to be screencaps of conversations with other organizers, most of whom seemed disorganized or confused throughout. This aligns with other descriptions of DashCon’s organizational structure, with “fandom committees” taking control of various aspects of convention fundraising and scheduling.

- None of the main convention organizers appear to have a background in fan conventions or similar events. DashCon owners Megan Eli and Roxanne Schwieterman are a novelist “with 15 years of business experience” and a 20-year-old with “a degree in hospitality management,” respectively.
http://www.dailydot.com/geek/dash-con-controversy-tumblr/

ykdRTnB.jpg

We did WHAT?

http://imgur.com/a/rDkVp

Carcetti

Jesus. I read the first 'Major Sign' of Omegaverse stories in that link and decided I'd rather die than read the other four.

Reishiki

Banned
I actually had to go check Fandom Wank and make sure this wasn't the same the same people that swindled a shit ton of money from Lord of the Rings fans a few years ago.

This Con Wank is legendary.

Forget Vividcon '10, or that scammy MLP Con from a while back, this is the yardstick from which all terrible Cons will be judged.

Necrovex

Shipping 101 lord.

I've been to a few cons before. Hell Power Morphicon was tiny a few years ago but didnt run into any mess like this and has now expanded. This is clearly people that had no idea what they were doing and how to run a convention. Asking for that money in the middle of it was insane.

Time for a Tinychat convention.

767130.png

This could be the most iconic image of 2014.

I want to have a mini treasure hunt adventure in that pit.

This is the greatest thing ever.

Ball pit.

Bouncing castle.

Circle jerks.

Game room with only one console (And probably a PS4 at that).

Being scammed while at the conference itself.

Miners.

Have a mint, thanks for coming!

LOL.

This is so bad that I am cringing for these people and I have nothing to do with tumblr and hardly ever visit the place.

Hell I've never been to a con and I know this is just all bad.

UrbanRats

Just gone through the thread... uhm, yeah.

Also, i googled Fiction's terms there (Omegaverse, Knotting), and you guys shock too easy.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oh christ the omegaverse thing, I remember hearing about that when it was just alphas and betas

I have a friend I play a game with. She reads fanfiction descriptions to me and I react to them. Its usually hilarious. Sometimes its not...its really really not

Well now we need to have a GAF con, do it Evilore

I'll bring the systems for the game room, everything from nes- ps4

Jfcjkygjuygjk lmao at "miner" welp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom