• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Third "Maze Runner" Delayed Indefinitely; Dylan O'Brien More Injured Than Expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toothless

Fox's The Maze Runner: The Death Cure has shut down production for the foreseeable future because its star's injuries from an accident on set are more severe than initially expected.

Dylan O'Brien was injured while shooting the YA action-adventure sequel on March 18. Sources say he was in a harness on top of a moving vehicle when he was pulled off the vehicle unexpectedly and hit by another vehicle. A report from WorkSafeBC described his injuries to include "concussion, facial fracture and lacerations."

Production on the film was shut down in March in order for the actor to recover, with Fox believing it would only be a few weeks, and scheduling a May 9 resumption. However, sources now say that cast and crew have been sent home, and a new start date will depend on O'Brien's recovery and the ability to reassemble the large cast and crew. Insiders say O'Brien's injuries are more severe than first believed.

"His injuries are very serious and he needs more time to recover," said O’Brien’s publicist Jennifer Allen.

"The resumption of principal photography on Maze Runner: The Death Cure has been further delayed to allow Dylan O’Brien more time to fully recover from his injuries. We wish Dylan a speedy recovery and look forward to restarting production as soon as possible," said a statement from Fox.

More here. Holy crap, I thought it was a minor injury at best, but it sounds pretty serious to me. Hopefully he gets better (even though I don't watch these Maze Runner films, I'm a fan of him as an actor.)

RS4-

I found out the movie was delayed from that fox/sdcc thread I think. I didn't know the reason why.

Christ.

Catvoca

Banned
Hope he gets better soon, it sounds rough. It would be really ironic for the lead actor in a movie called "The Death Cure" to die.

ezekial45

Banned
Damn, that's rough. Poor guy. He seems like a really cool dude, and it was cool seeing his career take off. Hope he gets better soon.

Did they ever say what kind of injuries they were?

Betty

Banned
Damn, that's rough. Poor guy. He seems like a really cool dude, and it was cool seeing his career take off. Hope he gets better soon.

Did they ever say what kind of injuries they were?

Something about his face, he fell off something and landed head first from a fair height.

studyguy

Damn sounds like the guy is lucky he didn't die the more I hear about this. What happened? He got run over by something on accident right?

Damn, that sucks. Hope Dylan's recovery goes well and doesn't harm his career.

Can't imagine the shit in the pants of the producers right now either. This accident is probably costing Fox tens of millions of dollars.

Patryn

Hope he recovers soon.

Curious if they'll have to pull an Empire Strikes Back to cover for the facial injuries.

studyguy

A report on WorkSafeBC said to be about O'Brien's accident claims he suffered a "concussion, facial fracture and lacerations" after falling to the ground when the motorcycle he was driving went into a slide after completing a stunt.

Oh I thought he got hit by a motorcycle, this sounds like it might as well have been. God damn so he basically smashed/head his face on the fall.

MaKTaiL

That's probably God leaving a sign to let people know the franchise should be canceled after the horrible second one.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
damn, if he's got injuries to his face it either must be so bad he needs time to heal from the initial accident injuries and then probably needs cosmetic surgery. If not that then he may have brain trauma would be even more unfortunate. poor dude. hope he pulls through.

Damn, that sucks. Hope Dylan's recovery goes well and doesn't harm his career.

Can't imagine the shit in the pants of the producers right now either. This accident is probably costing Fox tens of millions of dollars.

Well, that's what film insurance is for. They are in the drivers seat ATM.

Fuck, I hope he recovers. Dylan seems like a really cool guy, and is great in Teen Wolf. I hope the injuries aren't too severe and don't end up putting damage to his future career.

So does this mean Stiles is gonna be missing for most of 6A of Teen Wolf? If the injuries are bad to the point the film gets delayed, I can see him being written out for a good bit of the season now.

Cast and crew took stuff from a Native American site after they were warned to not do it. Dick move aside, apparently some of the crew came down with illnesses' and stuff not long after that happened.

Hoping for the best. I love Dylan's work. Every role he plays feels like he's enjoying what he does.

That's probably God leaving a sign to let people know the franchise should be canceled after the horrible second one.
giphy.gif

Jenov

Always thought this dude looked like a young Paul Walker. Sorry to hear that. Really enjoyed the first Maze Runner.

Replicant

Can't they just use stunt man for the action sequences and CGI his face? Or not......

"Sources say he was in a harness on top of a moving vehicle when he was pulled off the vehicle unexpectedly and hit by another vehicle."

Jeez. That sounds fucking awful. :(

Okay, that'd need hospitalization.

duckroll

"Sources say he was in a harness on top of a moving vehicle when he was pulled off the vehicle unexpectedly and hit by another vehicle."

Jeez. That sounds fucking awful. :(

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
if his face is scarred in someway would be interesting if they actually incorporate it into the story.

Thomas will be attacked by a Wampa in the first 5 minutes of the film.

In all seriousness, I hope he recovers. Also hope the injury isn't a spinal injury or anything.

what's the story behind that one? first time hearing about it.

Injured before they made Empire. It's the reason Luke is attacked by a Wampa in the first scene of the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom