• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Three men arrested in Sweden after live broadcasting gang rape on Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I do think it's important to analyze the impact of mass migration from cultures that hold little respect for women or their rights. I say it as an immigrant myself.

You'd think that there could be an informed, reasonable discussion about that, starting off by mentioning that the three rapists were migrants in news reports...

VJaiTR.gif

Lock em up for life. I don't give a shit about rehabilitating scum like this. They ruined someones life forever, they don't deserve a second chance.

Hope the victim can recover and move on with her life, and that any footage is only archived by police for the trial so it is not spread online.

Welcome to the European justice system. And people wonder why parts of the population are losing their faith in it. Victims are forgotten and the perpetrators always scream about their rights.

Yeah if I were the victim I would fear for life knowing those perpetrators are at large again.

HotHamBoy

Fucking disgusting, I seriously hope measures are going to be taken to prevent this kind of video from becoming viral.

On one hand, facebook is responsible for the perps getting caught. Surely they would have raped her regardless. This ensured their swift arrest.

At least there's that.

On the other hand, this make's the victim's experience that much more traumatizing.

What? How the fuck does that happen? This suddenly got weird.
Does Facebook store their livestreams by default? Seems they are in contact with them to figure out how to get it.

Meanwhile they are talking to people who have seen it also. And they have other evidence.

"A film would of course have been central evidence, but there is also other evidence."

Dalibor68

Banned
Absolutely horrible. Shit makes me furious.

My suggestion would be making an exception to the non-refoulement principle that lets you deport a) murderers and b) rapists. It's already a joke that european countries are bound by this due to the ECHR while anyone else who's only bound by the Geneva Refugee Convention isn't, despite europe overall taking the biggest burden when you add all the integration efforts necessary from short- to long term.

Keasar

What? How the fuck does that happen? This suddenly got weird.

That seems to be the confusing bit, the police have been requesting that people don't spread the video (as it would be considered a crime) and asked that any video evidence people got would be sent in, but so far none of it seem to show the actual act itself.

I do agree it is weird as fuck.

Under the same voluntary guidelines, Swedish media also does not report criminals' political views unless they are relevant to the crime committed.

"Oddly" enough, people never demand that the media must "stop covering up" this piece of information about criminals, like they do increasingly loudly regarding ethnicity.

Likewise with the literally infinite amount of other facts about criminals that the media could be reporting but usually does not. Nope, none of those please. Ethnicity is the only one people care to know.

I'm pretty set on my conclusion as to why this is.

Dalibor68

Banned
Under the same voluntary guidelines, Swedish media also does not report criminals' political views unless they are relevant to the crime committed.

"Oddly" enough, people never demand that the media must "stop covering up" this piece of information about criminals, like they do increasingly loudly regarding ethnicity.

Likewise with the literally infinite amount of other facts about criminals that the media could be reporting but usually does not. Nope, none of those please. Ethnicity is the only one people care to know.

I'm pretty set on my conclusion as to why this is.

(More or less) Public gangrapes are not a phenomenon that often happens among natives. We had an incident last year where 3 afghans(age 16-18) raped a woman on a public metro toilet in the middle of the city. That shit hasn't happened before and is not normal. Same with groups of young men acting as "sharia-police". So when such a horrendous crime, that in public mind is connected with specific groups, happens and media doesn't report the ethnicity it does of course give some people the impression that media is hiding it.

What the fuck, is that real? How the fuck do you only give 2-6 years for rape??? I think some crimes are something you can never walk away from - murder, rape, child abuse. I'd be totally fine with life in prison for any rapist, but at the minimum I think it should be 20 years. You took away so much from someone, the least you deserve is losing the best years of your life.

Sorry, no excuses in my book to ever justify those crimes.
It may be difficult for you to come to terms with but in some countries criminal sentencing is not about inflicting punishment or enacting revenge but to rehabilitate criminals. Especially in Northern Europe sentencing is a lot less harsh than America and the conditions are a lot less harsh too. Criminals are, by most accounts, treated more like people than cattle and this is very hard for people who haven't grown up in a culture that sees that to come to terms with.

I don't mean to come across as patronizing but their re-offence rates are a lot smaller than most developed countries as they do not strip prisoners of humanity. They prioritize short-term sentences for this very reason. There is also a lot of resources for prisoners after their release.

Doing this is not a justification of those crimes but merely a different approach to what the prison system is there to do.

I wish hell existed, if solely to torment these scum.

Edit: There's crimes you can rehabilitate from. Then there's rape. I'm from Turkey where rapists are often not arrested.

Dalibor68

Banned
It may be difficult for you to come to terms with but in some countries criminal sentencing is not about inflicting punishment or enacting revenge but to rehabilitate criminals. Especially in Northern Europe sentencing is a lot less harsh than America and the conditions are a lot less harsh too. Criminals are, by most accounts, treated more like people than cattle and this is very hard for people who haven't grown up in a culture that sees that to come to terms with.

I don't mean to come across as patronizing but their re-offence rates are a lot smaller than most developed countries as they do not strip prisoners of humanity. They prioritize short-term sentences for this very reason. There is also a lot of resources for prisoners after their release.

Doing this is not a justification of those crimes but merely a different approach to what the prison system is there to do.

The thing is though that most crimes are still property offenses and there are often huge differences between native and foreign criminals. It would be helpful to have statistics of re-offence rates for IS sympathizers for example and see how it compares to others. (Surprisingly, sex offenders usually have a lower fallback rate than others) I could imagine that someone who has even less "connection" with the outside world/society/environment than your average criminal will be even harder to re-integrate (and thus have higher fallback rates).

Update: The Police have problems finding the actual footage of the act itself. Growing suspicious of its actual existence.
http://www.thelocal.se/20170124/no-trace-of-facebook-video-showing-alleged-rape-uppsala-sweden

That does not dismiss the actual rape claim, they say they have other evidence of that. The film would be the central piece however.

So they have proof of the rape in other ways (How?) but not a live stream?

How many people saw the stream and does it get archived? Not hard to believe that someone didn't get a copy of it, but are there reliable witnesses to the stream?

No one deserves torture or eternal burning.
I agree it shouldn't be eternal, but I have little to no sympathy for rapists either way. You might be right, I sympathise with that opinion greatly, but when it comes to *some* crimes it is difficult to be that compassionate.

Keasar

So they have proof of the rape in other ways (How?) but not a live stream?

How many people saw the stream and does it get archived? Not hard to believe that someone didn't get a copy of it, but are there reliable witnesses to the stream?

No idea. Could be fingerprints, semen samples, witnesses etc. Just repeating what the article mentioned.

As for the stream archiving, we have no idea what Facebook does. They run a extremely closed ship when it comes to what kind of information they save and what they do with this information. It is known that they sell personal information about their users to ad companies but to what extent is not known. Also when it comes to cooperating with Governments and Police, many tech companies tread a grey line on what to do with user information.

Is that what's happening? Why?
Swedish media do not see ethnicity as a relevant factor when reporting these events. Some agree with it, others do not. As the situation is now in the EU, leaving out ethnicity has a lot of people thinking it is immigrants anyway, so it is counterproductive as far as I'm concerned.

(More or less) Public gangrapes are not a phenomenon that often happens among natives. We had an incident last year where 3 afghans(age 16-18) raped a woman on a public metro toilet in the middle of the city. That shit hasn't happened before and is not normal. Same with groups of young men acting as "sharia-police". So when such a horrendous crime, that in public mind is connected with specific groups, happens and media doesn't report the ethnicity it does of course give some people the impression that media is hiding it.

I'm saying the public mind is wrong. Individuals are responsible for the crimes they commit, and other people who happen to share their culture should be left out of it and treated as any other individual.

If we don't want ethnic cleansing to happen in our countries within our lifetimes, it is crucial that this ethnicity-focused thinking is stamped out. Unfortunately, the exact opposite is happening and it is increasingly encouraged instead.

The next priority should therefore be to make sure that targeted ethnicities are aware of where things are heading and can take necessary precautions.

Dalibor68

Banned
I'm saying the public mind is wrong. Individuals are responsible for the crimes they commit, and other people who happen to share their culture should be left out of it and treated as any other individual.

If we don't want ethnic cleansing to happen in our countries within our lifetimes, it is crucial that this ethnicity-focused thinking is stamped out. Unfortunately, the exact opposite is happening and it is increasingly encouraged instead.

The next priority should therefore be to make sure that targeted ethnicities are aware of where things are heading and can take necessary precautions.
Agree with the first paragraph but sorry, the rrst is insane. If specific groups are found to be overrepresented in certain crimes, the solution has to be to reflect, have an honest and open discussion and try to improve integration measures and/or take in less people of said groups. Not pretend these things don't exist, potentially censor and stick your head in the sand and take your citizens for fools. Becauss that would be like a 101 tutorial of how to make people trust alternative media instead.

No, if certain crimes occur more within certain societies and parts of society, then we can take a targeted approach to fix that. Hiding the problems is not productive at all to prevent future issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom