• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thurrott: MS to announce a new standard Xbox controller and maybe Xbox Elite at E3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new standard controller will look similar to the current design, which isn’t too surprising, but will likely come in a new color. Considering that Microsoft currently ships a black controller, a white default design seems like a decent mid-cycle refresh for the console to help spur sales.

dVJNUJlVS6yeyEYhtJIL_Confused%20Mark%20Wahlberg.gif

I love his passive aggressive tweet. How about be more transparent, and not have vague messages coming out of your mouths more often than not with the PR. That way, 'Dear Internet' can have a clearer picture, or just say 'no comment' when asked questions. You do not help muddying the waters with mixed messaging.

Anywho... I do also hope they match the 4K spec for spec, so third parties that love that 'parity', can be pressed to exploit the more power.

That too.

What's all of what you have written got to do with people jumping to conclusions about a remastered Call of Duty?

EvB

The premium wifi setup has some kind of integrated audio that the base unit doesn't, could it be that they are having noise cancelling built into the Elite console so you can use Cortana through the pad or something?

ekim

He mentioned it was for 'both'... their console rumors as well.

I guess the "both" was a snarky remark and not to be taken seriously. But I don't really know. Seems out of place from Larry. He is usually not the guy to comment on such things.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I guess the "both" was a snarky remark and not to be taken seriously. But I don't really know. Seems out of place from Larry. He is usually not the guy to comment on such things.

Which further solidifies my little rant. ;)

Do not act all passive aggressive when you message has not been clear, just say nothing at all. But he is there for fan service and all.

He mentioned it was for 'both'... their console rumors as well.

I didn't see that other tweet as it was directed towards someone else. Wasn't he just talking about COD then the internet jumped to remasters and Xbox One II's and his reply was a bit cheeky or tongue in cheek?

Mountains and molehills spring to mind :)

I'd be up for a white console.

A new controller, though? Shit. Maybe it's a good thing I haven't opened the Dusk and Copper Shadow controllers I bought. Especially since I already have four, and only use one.

I have a problem

EDIT: The grips NEED to be standard.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I love his passive aggressive tweet. How about be more transparent, and not have vague messages coming out of your mouths more often than not with the PR. That way, 'Dear Internet' can have a clearer picture, or just say 'no comment' when asked questions. You do not help muddying the waters with mixed messaging.

Anywho... I do also hope they match the 4K spec for spec, so third parties that love that 'parity', can be pressed to exploit the more power.

That too.

I understand your point, but why would he deny it? Of course they don't want to hurt sales of the current XB1. However, only loyal fans are following Major Nelson's tweets. Straight up lying to their faces doesn't seem like the best PR move. Then again, MS doesn't have the best track record when it comes to PR.

I definitely get your point and agree. I just think he shouldn't have said anything at all.
You guys are making a mountain out of a molehill. He's not even head of PR...

Prediction, this will not be xbox 1.5. MS got caught off guard with that NEO just like PS4 VR caught them off guard.

This will be a new sku plain and simple. Not going to be a great E3 for MS, i can feel it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You guys are making a mountain out of a molehill. He's not even head of PR...

Every mouthpiece/exec/etc with public access, is PR. Surely you know this. He is public relations for the community of gamers.

You do not have to be 'head of PR' in order to be PR for your company when you are in the public spotlight, speaking on behalf of them, etc..

Spencer is not head of PR either, yet, he is PR in interviews and Twittering. Same when Pinello showed up in here before launch, etc..

Shu is PR for Sony when he talks to the public. Let us not try to act as if the messages they have been sending out have not been muddy and foggy at best more often than not.

the light is needed for psvr. its not going away. also i'm pretty sure its been debunked that it actually noticeable affects battery life.

Ah, I see, I thought the battery thing was confirmed. Still seems pointless but I guess it's here to stay if VR needs it.

I'm curious what makes the DS4 have such horrible battery life if it's not the light though. The touchpad? My X1 controller lasts a LOT longer and that's the only other difference I can think of.

nib95

Banned
How many different controllers do they need?

The Xbox One controller is in dire need of a re-design. Too many of them suffer from deadzone and drift problems. Begrudgingly I bought an Elite controller which has no where near the same deadzone issues, and feels incredible, but I still shouldn't have had to buy a new far more expensive controller, just to get more precise controls for my Xbox One.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Every mouthpiece/exec/etc with public access, is PR. Surely you know this. He is public relations for the community of gamers.

You do not have to be 'head of PR' in order to be PR for your company when you are in the public spotlight, speaking on behalf of them, etc..

Spencer is not head of PR either, yet, he is PR in interviews and Twittering. Same when Pinello showed up in here, etc..

Shu is PR for Sony when he talks to the public. Let us not try to act as if the messages they have been sending out have not been muddy and foggy at best.
Okay, I can probably find dozens of tweets of Shu denying stuff on Twitter, does that make him muddy and foggy at delivering messages? Not everyone says "no comment" when denying stuff on Twitter, sometimes they go off script.
And "Dear Internet" is passive aggressive? Since when? That is the standard introduction for online interactivity.

Andrain18

Banned
It's time to bring back the true GOAT controller.

2512394-2438445062-dukec.jpg

Not even going to lie this is my favorite controller from a form factor perspective. I have big ass hands so it's the most comfortable. Just get rid of the black and white and add in some bumpers and i'd buy it day 1

Prediction, this will not be xbox 1.5. MS got caught off guard with that NEO just like PS4 VR caught them off guard.

This will be a new sku plain and simple. Not going to be a great E3 for MS, i can feel it.

Except Microsoft didn't get caught off guard by PSVR. They showed no interest in developing a VR solution, as they have been busy concentrating on HoloLens.

They likely weren't caught off guard by NEO either. These companies generally know what the other is up to. They're not amateurs.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Okay, I can probably find dozens of tweets of Shu denying stuff on Twitter, does that make him muddy and foggy at delivering messages? Not everyone says "no comment" when denying stuff on Twitter, sometimes they go off script.
And "Dear Internet" is passive aggressive? Since when? That is the standard introduction for online interactivity.

He could have said nothing, because nobody asked him shit. Instead, he throws a vague comment out there, in a passive aggressive manner, as if the 'internet' is to blame for the rumors, and not the mixed messages they have been doing since their launch. Have they fixed issues after the messages being crossed, sure, but stop adding more gasoline to the fire, where he had to be pressed to 'clarify'.

Anyways, I am over it. You do not see it that way, then that is okay, I however do.

Except Microsoft didn't get caught off guard by PSVR. They showed no interest in developing a VR solution, as they have been busy concentrating on HoloLens.

They likely weren't caught off guard by NEO either. These companies generally know what the other is up to. They're not amateurs.

Agreed.

People need to stop thinking this was something new that Sony and MSFT both decided to do within the last year. To have things ready this soon, and with all the messages, this has been in both companies roadmaps since before launching the machines we have now. It is probably one of the many reasons AMD is so confident in the APU growth, because long term contracts were signed probably back in 2011 or earlier by these companies.

I would like a controller with a speaker on it, start and select instead of the options we have now and the same build quality and design of the elite controller.

Maybe this one won't break so easily. I've had the left analog go out on 2 standard controllers. My elite's left bumper just came loose too. I never had a problem with 360 gamepads, so this isn't a case of mistreatment.

Another controller? I honestly just hope it's a cheaper version. 60 for such a cheap controller is too much if it's going to break so much.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dear gaming_noob,

Stop posting vague comments. You better list the exact posts you are referring to.

You do not get it do you?

You cannot claim a 'DEAR INTERNET' tweet, when you are part of the problem. Otherwise, it looks passive aggressive, because you are passing blame to the consumer base you are not clear with to begin with in it's context.

But carry on.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Ah, I see, I thought the battery thing was confirmed. Still seems pointless but I guess it's here to stay if VR needs it.

I'm curious what makes the DS4 have such horrible battery life if it's not the light though. The touchpad? My X1 controller lasts a LOT longer and that's the only other difference I can think of.

iirc its a combination of touchpad, rumble motors, and a small battery. i think the battery size is like half that of the ds3.

etta

my hard graphic balls
You do not get it do you?

You cannot claim a 'DEAR INTERNET' tweet, when you are part of the problem. Otherwise, it looks passive aggressive, because you are passing blame to the consumer base you are not clear with to begin with in it's context.

But carry on.
Or you are just making something out of nothing because you're only looking at that one tweet.
That is something Larry would say. If you listen to his podcast, he often makes jokes while speaking in third person or speaking from a higher authoritarian role or things of that nature. This is just how he acts.
Of course if you didn't know how he usually acts, then yes I can see how you might come to that judgement based on that tweet in a vacuum.

https://www.thurrott.com/xbox/xbox-one/66802/microsoft-will-announce-new-hardware-e3

In the FCC thread we found a filing about a new controller that hasn't released yet.

Also in wifi chip filings there was basic and premium SKU mentioned.

Yeah that last bit is quite interesting. Most of the people here seem to think it will be just a smaller Xbox One, but what are the differences between the basic an premium i wonder? But still, seeing as how no specs at all have been leaked, i definitely can see it being just a slim Xbox One as well.

Like others said, smaller Xbox One this year and 2017/1018 a brand new Xbox , with probably the AMD SOC etc. 2018 does seem late though, we're going to have to wait and see how MS manages when the NEO is released. I'd love to be proven wrong though, if done right i am definitely not against this.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Depends if the Neo is accepted or not. Just because Sony is doing the Neo didn't mean it's going to be accepted. Even tho I like they are doing it there are cons to it.

MS might have a great E3 by default.

I disagree. I think MS are completely caught off guard with both, especially NEO. Developing something is one thing. It releasing this holiday is another. Mind you thats still kind of a rumor but still. Specs are out there.

Theyre already the weaker console, but theyll just sit ideally by and yet release a "slim" xbox one instead of a direct competitor to NEO that they "know" about? Mind you none of this is confirmed, but im sure this is whats going to happen.

Check back with this post after E3.

- Neo this holiday (latest Jan or Feb next year)
- Xbox one slim (new sku) this holiday
- Xbox announcement of xbox 1.5 for some time next year

Calling it now. Microsoft is going to release an Xbox TV and a Xbox "Two" and do an OG Xbox with the Xbox One.

Xbox TV can play arcade games, but primary use will be for media apps for $149.00 and act as an extender for Xbox Two.

Xbox Two - 2017 release. Does everything the Xbox TV does and plays AAA games etc. 10tflop monster with 16GB of HBM2 :p. Can also act like a TiVO with 6 tuners and you can stream TV to the Xbox TV in other rooms while somebody is gaming OR stream a game to another room while somebody is watching TV. Will come with a mic array for Cortana to be used in the same way as the Amazon Echo.

El_Chino

Calling it now. Microsoft is going to release an Xbox TV and a Xbox "Two" and do an OG Xbox with the Xbox One.

Xbox TV can play arcade games, but primary use will be for media apps for $149.00 and act as an extender for Xbox Two.

Xbox Two - 2017 release. Does everything the Xbox TV does and plays AAA games etc. 10tflop monster with 16GB of HBM2 :p. Can also act like a TiVO with 6 tuners and you can stream TV to the Xbox TV in other rooms while somebody is gaming OR stream a game to another room while somebody is watching TV. Will come with a mic array for Cortana to be used in the same way as the Amazon Echo.

giphy.gif

I disagree. I think MS are completely caught off guard with both, especially NEO. Developing something is one thing. It releasing this holiday is another. Mind you thats still kind of a rumor but still. Specs are out there.

Theyre already the weaker console, but theyll just sit ideally by and yet release a "slim" xbox one instead of a direct competitor to NEO that they "know" about? Mind you none of this is confirmed, but im sure this is whats going to happen.

You believe Microsoft was caught completely off guard by NEO, when Microsoft was the first to talk about the possibility of a mid-gen upgrade?

Those are some thin straws you're grasping at, but if you really want, we can check back after E3.

Let's wait and see what happens at E3. It's not guaranteed that the PS4 Neo will be an amazing success. I see plenty of people that aren't happy about this at all. It could be something that fails terribly. I think the arguments from some people why MS is not going to announce a better Xbox make sense, but at the same time i can also agree with those that say they really should. Because i think the people that don't have a console yet, will either buy a PS4 or the PS4 Neo, and i don't think many will go for the significantly weaker one, being the Xbox One. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom