• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thurrott: MS to announce a new standard Xbox controller and maybe Xbox Elite at E3

Status
Not open for further replies.
You believe Microsoft was caught completely off guard by NEO, when Microsoft was the first to talk about the possibility of a mid-gen upgrade?

Those are some thin straws you're grasping at, but if you really want, we can check back after E3.

Talk about? He was asked a question and he gave an answer. To me the timing of that was pure coincidence.

edit: if an xbox 1.5 is coming out this year, to me all the better. But id be stunned if it was out by e3 2017.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Guys, imagine a spiritual successor to this design:

xbox-360-special-edition_groupshot.jpeg

xbox-360-slim-4gb-whitemicrosoft-announces-gloss-white-xbox-360-bundle---ign-whq7oazp.jpg

O_O
Please make it happen Phil.

You mean something like the multiple white Xbox One consoles that have been released?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hip Hop

I hope they get rid of the asymmetrical sticks. I hate that aspect of the Xbox controllers.

lmao that's the reason why I have never been a fan of the PS controller.
The stick placements is just bad to me.

And why would they change the sticks, the new Xbox controller is just an update, not a whole complete redesing lol

The Xbox One controller is in dire need of a re-design. Too many of them suffer from deadzone and drift problems. Begrudgingly I bought an Elite controller which has no where near the same deadzone issues, and feels incredible, but I still shouldn't have had to buy a new far more expensive controller, just to get more precise controls for my Xbox One.

The inside of the Elite controller is the same as the revision controller, which is the same as the launch controller.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm hoping for a reasonable spec bump. Do it MS and I'm in.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You believe Microsoft was caught completely off guard by NEO, when Microsoft was the first to talk about the possibility of a mid-gen upgrade?

Those are some thin straws you're grasping at, but if you really want, we can check back after E3.

One of the PS4 designers talked about it last year when asked a question as well.

Either way, I do not believe they are caught off guard. This was in the plans for both, prior to the launches in 2013. The writing is on the wall if anyone was paying attention and connecting the dots.

One of the PS4 designers talked about it last year when asked a question as well.

Either way, I do not believe they are caught off guard. This was in the plans for both, prior to the launches in 2013. The writing is on the wall if anyone was paying attention and connecting the dots.

Ahh, must have missed that. My bad.

Still kind of feels weird to have to do this mid-gen upgrade thing. Feels even weirder that both sides seemed to have known about it the whole time and kept quiet about it until now.

Still kind of feels weird to have to do this mid-gen upgrade thing. Feels even weirder that both sides seemed to have known about it the whole time and kept quiet about it until now.

They both have AMD in common for designing their SoC, I suspect that isnt a coincidence too

Yoday

How much are biometric readers? I could see them adding that to the controller for easier sign in and profile pairing. It seems to be something they like using in Windows 10 already.

So you definitely think MS will do something similar at E3?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

From a traditional standpoint, it does feel different. But from a tech standpoint in comparison to the rest of the consumer world, it feels just as natural of a progression.

The quietness is to be expected, just as most tech makers. You plan, gauge the market, etc..

They both have AMD in common for designing their SoC, I suspect that isnt a coincidence too

Yep. And explains AMD's super glowing confidence in the APU growth sector, banking on it hardcore since 2013, when it is only really used mainly in these consoles.

So you definitely think MS will do something similar at E3?

Hard to tell, but I am confident they have one in the works. I hope they do show at E3 though. Excited to see what both have to offer.

Hawk269

Do you guys think it is possible that a new Xbox One system that has a PC App where as the system would run like a normal console would, but there would be a PC App and within this app it makes the system run like a PC allowing you to have a Steam App and play PC games on the console? With mouse and keyboard support, is this something that is possible? PC games currently auto detect GPU's and shit like that. I know the current Xbox One would not be able to run many PC games unless they were in low settings, but if an upgraded system with more horsepower, would something like this be even feasible?

A new Xbox device seems like a safe bet. Sony forced their hands, Microsoft are followers.

I know it's not done overnight, but neither did the PS4K.
Surely they were aware of Sony's plan and reacted to that possibly years ago.

I maintain that Sony's PS4K will release sooner so Microsoft will have no choice but to follow them not to lose face completely.

Would you say no to a more powerful Xbox One console with backward and forward compatibility ?

I'm sure it's coming 2017 in reaction to Sony's PS4 Neo.

Does not necessarily mean Sony did not think of it before them.

Boy that's a lot of posts about absolutely nothing but false conjecture.

MCD

Controller will prolly get motion gyro or whatever sensors for better oculus rift experience*

*sold seperately. Compatible only with xbox 2.

Hawk269

Talk about? He was asked a question and he gave an answer. To me the timing of that was pure coincidence.

edit: if an xbox 1.5 is coming out this year, to me all the better. But id be stunned if it was out by e3 2017.

Well they are not going to talk about hardware that is coming out in 2017, so whatever hardware they will talk about or show is something that will come out this year. I think it would be foolish to show new hardware and then say next year. It has not really happened before, both PS4 and Xbox One were shown the same year they came out.

I hope we do see an upgraded console this year.

Is there any expectations that these newer/updated consoles will support HDR for gaming? Over the last few days I have been playing with my new TV, Receiver and UHD player and HDR is pretty amazing. Having games that can do HDR would be mind-blowing.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Well they are not going to talk about hardware that is coming out in 2017, so whatever hardware they will talk about or show is something that will come out this year. I think it would be foolish to show new hardware and then say next year. It has not really happened before, both PS4 and Xbox One were shown the same year they came out.

I hope we do see an upgraded console this year.

Is there any expectations that these newer/updated consoles will support HDR for gaming? Over the last few days I have been playing with my new TV, Receiver and UHD player and HDR is pretty amazing. Having games that can do HDR would be mind-blowing.

AMD's new cards will support HDR games, if we connect the dots with AMD developing new semi-custom chips for Sony and MS i think one could bet they'd see the same support. To my knowledge their hasn't been a single In-development PC game that's been announced to support HDR though, nor have I heard of any engines that support it yet.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
They already added 3.5 jack and improved the bumpers. What else could they change?

The won't add a touchpad
They won't add a speaker
They won't added sharing buttons when you can buy the chat pad for less than a new controller
They won't build a mic in because the point of controlling the console by voice is NOT turning on the controller

So what are they changing?

Welfare

They already added 3.5 jack and improved the bumpers. What else could they change?

The won't add a touchpad
They won't add a speaker
They won't added sharing buttons when you can buy the chat pad for less than a new controller
They won't build a mic in because the point of controlling the console by voice is NOT turning on the controller

Maybe changing the internals a bit?

Or what about non AA battery variant?

Chris1

The won't add a touchpad
They won't add a speaker

Add the grips to all controllers?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
AMD's new cards will support HDR games, if we connect the dots with AMD developing new semi-custom chips for Sony and MS i think one could bet they'd see the same support. To my knowledge their hasn't been a single In-development PC game that's been announced to support HDR though, nor have I heard of any engines that support it yet.

Excuse my ignorance (have not read too much into HDR that deep yet), but will this make much of a difference in gaming? Don't games already have access to color spectrums just as wide as HDR gives to film?

Maybe changing the internals a bit?

Or what about non AA battery variant?

I can see an internal battery version.

The won't add a touchpad
They won't add a speaker

Grips being standard
Maybe finally getting rid of the stupid AA batteries
Redesign of the D-Pad

Hawk269

Xbox One Elite was exactly what I was expecting a revision to be called. Curious as to the specs and what it will include.

My prediction: Double the GPU power of the Xbox One, DDR4 (or faster DDR3) RAM, 64mb eSRAM, same CPU as Neo, and Elite controller in the box.

Naming it the Xbox One Elite may be an issue being that they released a Xbox One Elite console last year that came with the 1tb SSHD and Elite controller. Granted, it was a niche product, but not sure if they could use that name again. Perhaps Xbox One Elite Pro may work or Xbox One Elite Platinum (wife suggestion...lol).

Chris1

I can see an internal battery version.

That's not happening when you can buy play and charge kits and MS has been pretty vocal about the batteries & swapping them instead of replacing controller.

What about having the paddle slots on the back of the controller? They'd make a good amount from selling separate paddles I'd imagine?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
A new Xbox device seems like a safe bet. Sony forced their hands, Microsoft are followers.

Lol

Forced Ethernet into a console
Basically pioneered a digital storefront
Pioneered online gaming on consoles as we know it
Became the defacto to standard for PC gaming controllers
Tried to push DRM discs as digital delivery into consoles
Kinect
First to put MKV support into a console

I can keep going but yeah. Followers man.

Hawk269

Someone mentioned it above and now I can't find it or I would of quoted the person, but I do really believe that this E3 for MS will be about re-branding the Xbox, almost like a re-launch. Will it be just a Xbox One Slim that is the catalyst for this re-launch or a Slim and a more powerful console combo that will do it?

I am pretty confident based on what I have been reading with Sony demanding games released as of September be Neo compatible that the Neo will be out this holiday, would be no other reason to have software that supports it mandated with a September date.

MS and in particular Phil was the first to openely talk about updated consoles, Sony has only had leaks, nothing official from Sony. Thus far there has been very little leaks from MS, but if you remember to the reveal of the 360 Slim, it was leak free other than an image that appeared 12 or so hours before the conference, so they have the ability to keep things close to the chest.

With Nintendo announcing NX in March of 2017 is there even more incentive for Sony and MS to launch updated hardware this holiday?

Welfare

Lol

Bu bu bu buttttttt

Kinect

SEE! M$ only hurt gamers when they try and lead!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Lol

Kinect

Oh let's not play these games. People tried it in the Nintendo threads.

If we want to go deeper, one could say Sony forced MSFT in the console business when they stopped the Web TV deal they both had, and focused on the PS2... getting even closer to the 'Center of the Living Room' Trojan Horse, than MSFT was at the time.

And the Kezen comment is indeed disingenuous. Company's innovate or refine other's ideas all the time. It's a lame argument.

Chris1

Someone mentioned it above and now I can't find it or I would of quoted the person, but I do really believe that this E3 for MS will be about re-branding the Xbox, almost like a re-launch. Will it be just a Xbox One Slim that is the catalyst for this re-launch or a Slim and a more powerful console combo that will do it?
As long as it's called "xbox one" I don't think anything can really do it, IMO they need a new gen.

A slim will help slightly.. but the ship has already sailed. Save their efforts for relaunching next gen when they have an actual new brand.

MS and in particular Phil was the first to openely talk about updated consoles, Sony has only had leaks, nothing official from Sony. Thus far there has been very little leaks from MS, but if you remember to the reveal of the 360 Slim, it was leak free other than an image that appeared 12 or so hours before the conference, so they have the ability to keep things close to the chest.
Slim isn't the same though, it's still the same hardware so developers wouldn't need devkits? but it's possible with the UWP thing they have going on, they always go on about it scaling to devices, maybe UWP will do most of the work so MS can afford to not send dev kits until later?

I hope they just release a slim though... I'm not a fan of the 1.5/ps4k.

jstripes

Banned
The new standard controller will look similar to the current design, which isn’t too surprising, but will likely come in a new color. Considering that Microsoft currently ships a black controller, a white default design seems like a decent mid-cycle refresh for the console to help spur sales.

YbvrW9B.jpg

Yeah, they put that in controller version 2.

Wonder what version 3 will have?

a button for screenshots and video saving hopefully, double pressing the guide button sometimes takes you out of the game instead of loading the mini guide because the new OS is too laggy.

That's actually one of the biggest strengths of the controller.

agree, give me the ability to use choice brand rechargables over built in power packs that die over the years.

Bsigg12

The won't add a touchpad
They won't add a speaker

New wireless protocol to allow surround sound wirelessly through the controller? We know they pushed 2 new WiFi products through the FCC.

Venom.

The won't add a touchpad
They won't add a speaker

One of the best things Sony did with the PS4 & DS4 was bake-in support for sharing. Why press three buttons when you can press one? I think it highly likely that a revised Xbox controller will have a Share button.
Possibly longer game DVR recording capability too. 1 hour of 1080p 60fps means anybody can become a Let's Player without the need for separate (and expensive) capture equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom