• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2 Multiplayer Technical Test Impressions (XB1/PS4)

rackham

Banned
It increases your field of view while keeping your camera's direction consistent.

I know people are pretty set on first person animations here, but c'mon, surely you can see why a third person perspective actually provides a lot more information than first.

It shows you if anyone is around your titan directly, while retaining the camera perspective in front of you, therefore giving you more awareness of what's going to be directly in front of the Titan, once the screens turn on. That's quite a bit of extra information.

Why do you as a player deserve that information? Why can't they look at the mini map? Why do players now need to see the battlefield in 1.5 seconds?? How does that make sense if your character should only be seeing in first person? Mini maps were there for that exact reason, to show you where the people who are shooting are.

wonderpug

Neo Member
They kept the Titan video screen bootup sequence from the original (which I adore) and that is entirely about immersion and fun at the expense of getting information about what's going on around you. Being a bit disoriented after starting up your Titan was part of the fun of the first game.

While I definitely prefer 1st person Titan entry, I'd agree with those saying it's not the end of the world if that option isn't there at release.

I'd also agree with those saying they're craving Titanfall 2 after trying out the Battlefield 1 beta. Even though I'm really liking Battlefield, it still feels like the same game I've played a dozen times before. Despite the complaints about the Titanfall 2 changes, it's still a franchise doing something no other shooters are doing. I've flop flipped my flip flop and I think I'm getting this instead of Battlefield this season

Brakara

Out of curiosity's sake. Say, Respawn announces a TDM with AI (if not outright Attrition) mode and then shows a fly-by of a few more "wallrun" friendly maps, would on the fence people be satisfied?

I definitely would be. Everything else, including third person view animations, are minor.

rackham

Banned
Out of curiosity's sake. Say, Respawn announces a TDM with AI (if not outright Attrition) mode and then shows a fly-by of a few more "wallrun" friendly maps, would on the fence people be satisfied? Or are there more and bigger issues they need to address that's logistically plausible to implement before the game releases?
Honestly not yet. Need to see if aesthetic customization is in the game and if it's been mostly focused around paid dlc

Damn. I don't see how anyone can watch that and then claim controller players have and advantage because of auto aim

Because KB/M still have a much higher margin for error. ;p

Also, look at this:
a00cc3357934b37a5958755b0e999c91.jpg

Out of curiosity's sake. Say, Respawn announces a TDM with AI (if not outright Attrition) mode and then shows a fly-by of a few more "wallrun" friendly maps, would on the fence people be satisfied? Or are there more and bigger issues they need to address that's logistically plausible to implement before the game releases?

It would help alot, right now still not certain, nervous about the game and whether I should cancel my CE order or not. I loved TF1 and the tech test just broke my heart with how different it is, and not to the better. Seeing Angel City has given me some hope, but I need to see more. Game is close to release, why don't we have details on the games modes and all the maps yet?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I've noticed that the newer Meet the Titan videos have motion blur on during gameplay. I hope that's actually in the game and not just for the trailers. Looks great.

No 24/7 playlists please. And no vote for next map bullshit either. I don't want a conclave of 12 year olds deciding that I only get to play the three smallest maps in the game.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
It would help alot, right now still not certain, nervous about the game and whether I should cancel my CE order or not. I loved TF1 and the tech test just broke my heart with how different it is, and not to the better. Seeing Angel City has given me some hope, but I need to see more. Game is close to release, why don't we have details on the games modes and all the maps yet?

I gather, we'll hear more about the game modes and whatnot as we near release.

Honestly not yet. Need to see if aesthetic customization is in the game and if it's been mostly focused around paid dlc

I think Respawn said we can customize the Titan skins, right? I assume given how we're getting free maps and modes post launch, any skins and the like are what its micro-transactions will be.

I definitely would be. Everything else, including third person view animations, are minor.

I'd imagine so as well. If it is, then it should be an easy fix for Respawn, no? I mean, maps will be free post launch, so shouldn't be that big of an issue. I'm more concerned with the progression loop more than anything at this time. :)

I need the maps to be a 180 of the pre alpha maps. I dont hate homestead or boom town. I just want them to be outliers

Higher TTK slightly, unless the wall running allows for escapes. Hard to tell with alpha maps

And titans should probably start with shields with batteries removing them. I enjoyed the titan play and thought scorch and ion were very fun and balanced

less automated rodeo probably

Id also like them to remove CAmped Hardpoint because it slowed the mode down for some reason and encouraged loitering around at your home flag

Attrition would be nice and all but I just want solid modes that make sense

PvP shouldn't even exist and is a waste of a playlist IMO and hardpoints flow is ruined

Sorry for all the negativity, but that's what would get me on board

If maps are really good, I can bare the rest, because the map design is crucial

I enjoyed the alpha despite my criticism but not enough to ignore all the above. I just want the game to be what it should be, and fill out the market that it originally had.

I have rainbow 6 for tactical round based game. Imagine if the sequel added tdm, or a respawn mode. Or if its map design ended up being not the amazing map design it is now.

Yep, it's not the biggest thing. Some here act like it is though. I mean, I get both sides, but if you're not playing a game just based on this, that's kinda extreme (not you, just saying out loud). :)

Same. I played Black Ops 3 and funnily enough, found it slow. Can you imagine that?! I master prestiged Black Ops 3 and found it too fast at times and now I find it slow.

Same here. They both scratch different itches, but the clunky and slow movement from BF1, really makes me miss running fast, sliding, hooking myself up, etc.

If Respawn nails the progression system and whatnot (which I hope they will), I can see more people staying with it. Like it or not, that whole "carrot on a stick" thing works.

Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 compliment each other as being opposites. I think it would be nice to play each game back and forth when one begins to bore / frustrate you.

Keasar

I was a big proponent of the first person embarks on the first game. Some wanted embarking to just be instant like in BF. I did a lot of the implementation (scripting/prototyping) work on them, so I'm kind of biased in favor of them. I regret that we didn't find a way to offer both.

In spite of all that, given the option I would choose the 3rd person embarks in multiplayer. As immersive as the 1st person embarks are, they're not as tactically informative. Eventually I want information over immersion.

To be honest, I didn't feel like I got any more info from the sudden shift in camera angle since it points towards a pre-chosen direction anyway.

When playing Titanfall 1 I would scan my surroundings before entering a Titan and with the first person view I would get a total sense of direction at all times once I entered it, making me able to turn instantly towards my biggest threat since I knew where it was in relation to where the camera was pointing before it goes dark and then the internal monitors goes on. When it goes out to the third person camera, I get some disorientation because all of a sudden it is pointing in another direction than what I know my character is actually looking towards. Sou Da pointed it out well that if I had some control of the third person camera, it would overall work out better as a way of gaining some extra knowledge of my surroundings, as it is now, it isn't that much more helpful.

So, for me personally, it isn't all about immersion, it was actually about tactical ability since it worked best with my sense of direction. :)

Kordelle

I also wonder if the sky in Angel City will be empty like in the TT maps or with hell breaking loose like in TF1.
Would be insane if the original would look better.

Keasar

I also wonder if the sky in Angel City will be empty like in the TT maps or with hell breaking loose like in TF1.
Would be insane if the original would look better.

I remember that they used to talk about how the cloud servers enabled them to have all that stuff going on because "all the fighters were controlled by A.I and actually having a dog fight in the sky" or something, but I always thought it was a bit of marketing bull and it might as well been just pre-made animations that happened in the sky so they wouldn't have to waste the processing power. :p

You dont even see the Titans ripping out the pilots anymore. The first game had a ton of attention to detail. TF2 seems to have cut a few corners since we're getting a campaign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3rYxw1Mm84
So satisfying it was. And also terrifyingly awesome when you were on the other end and you would have suddenly a huge hand rip up the inside of your cockpit and pull you out.

spannicus

I remember that they used to talk about how the cloud servers enabled them to have all that stuff going on because "all the fighters were controlled by A.I and actually having a dog fight in the sky" or something, but I always thought it was a bit of marketing bull and it might as well been just pre-made animations that happened in the sky so they wouldn't have to waste the processing power. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3rYxw1Mm84
So satisfying it was. And also terrifyingly awesome when you were on the other end and you would have suddenly a huge hand rip up the inside of your cockpit and pull you out.
Yeah the little things that were cool, Respawn went and changed.

Arkanius

Titanfall 2 just screams streamlining the game instead of amping up the little touches that it had :(

I hope it works out in the end, but as a PC player, those third person transitions don't look good at all.

E92 M3

No 24/7 playlists please. And no vote for next map bullshit either. I don't want a conclave of 12 year olds deciding that I only get to play the three smallest maps in the game.

How does a 24/7 playlist hurt you lol? So, you're literally against others having their own fun? Secondly, map voting isn't really used these days. If anything, there will just be a veto feature (which I like).

How does a 24/7 playlist hurt you lol? So, you're literally against others having their own fun?
Well, considering the progression systems, my personal opinion is that shit like Nuketown 24/7 or Metro 24/7 10000000% tickets hurts their respective games when a big chunk of the playerbase goes there to speed rank. Let it exist on unranked/custom/private servers.
Secondly, map voting isn't really used these days. If anything, there will just be a veto feature (which I like).
Sure, not used at all, aside from their double-jump and wallrun competitor in COD.

E92 M3

Well, considering the progression systems, my personal opinion is that shit like Nuketown 24/7 or Metro 24/7 10000000% tickets hurts their respective games when a big chunk of the playerbase goes there to speed rank. Let it exist on unranked/custom/private servers.

Sure, not used at all, aside from their double-jump and wallrun competitor in COD.

People play Nuketown because it's fun and chaotic. If that's what the people want, let them have it.

People play Nuketown because it's fun and chaotic. If that's what the people want, let them have it.
Yes yes, a playlist doesn't hurt me and it's free to exist and if people want to play it then live and let live...

And they should take out PvP - that is not Titanfall. Who cares if a couple CoD fans get angry. They will leave in November anyways.

Oh whoops my bad a playlist doesn't hurt anyone unless you know, you specifically don't like it. In which case it's COD fans that need to be run off.

E92 M3

Yes yes, a playlist doesn't hurt me and it's free to exist and if people want to play it then live and let live...

Oh whoops my bad a playlist doesn't hurt anyone unless you know, you specifically don't like it. In which case it's COD fans that need to be run off.

I figured you would pull that out. PvP is the antithesis of Titanfall. I want it out for principle and longevity of the franchise. A playlist around a map vs a playlist that is completely a different mode are different issues.

Nice try, though.

I figured you would pull that out.
So you realized you were being a hypocrite. Good to know. And yeah, I'm not going to let your hypocrisy slide when you frame my preferences as hating fun, and yours as some sort of noble defense of the franchise.
PvP is the antithesis of Titanfall.
Yet somehow is more established in the Titanfall franchise than 24/7 playlists.
I want it out for principle and longevity of the franchise.
So now its mere existence apparently has the ability to *dun dunnnn DUNNNNNNN* kill the franchise! Give me a break, if it ends up being popular it helps the longevity of the franchise, if it dies like it did in the original, then it's just another forgotten playlist. Remember the various "barebones" playlists in COD that everyone demanded and then nobody played?

Are you imagining the design team sitting around scheming to put in PVP at the expense of Attrition or something?

A playlist around a map vs a playlist that is completely a different mode are different issues.
Not when it comes to your argument of "don't like it, don't play it". Remember, that's your logic to invalidate my preference that Titanfall not do 24/7 playlists. You're the one calling me out as hating people's fun. I found Pilots vs Pilots to be a hell of a lot more fun than Amped Hardpoint. So why are you trying to shit on my fun? You're free to demonstrate *how* they're different issues at any time.

E92 M3

So you realized you were being a hypocrite. Good to know. And yeah, I'm not going to let your hypocrisy slide when you frame my preferences as hating fun, and yours as some sort of noble defense of the franchise.

Yet somehow is more established in the Titanfall franchise than 24/7 playlists.

So now its mere existence apparently has the ability to *dun dunnnn DUNNNNNNN* kill the franchise! Give me a break, if it ends up being popular it helps the longevity of the franchise, if it dies like it did in the original, then it's just another forgotten playlist. Remember the various "barebones" playlists in COD that everyone demanded and then nobody played?

Are you imagining the design team sitting around scheming to put in PVP at the expense of Attrition or something?

Not when it comes to your argument of "don't like it, don't play it". Remember, that's your logic to invalidate my preference that Titanfall not do 24/7 playlists. You're the one calling me out as hating people's fun. I found Pilots vs Pilots to be a hell of a lot more fun than Amped Hardpoint. So why are you trying to shit on my fun? You're free to demonstrate *how* they're different issues at any time.

It is a defense of the franchise - the very existence of PvP is pandering to a crowd that will eventually dissipate.

I find it funny that you're calling me a hypocrite when I made it explicitly clear that they are two different arguments. I am an avid fan of Titanfall, and PvP being in the game is equivalent to Miyazaki allowing players to use an optional map in Dark Souls. Sure, no one gets hurt, but it compromises the integrity of the game.

Why are you having so much trouble understand things?

It is a defense of the franchise - the very existence of PvP is pandering to a crowd that will eventually dissipate.
So, the guys who made the original COD games can't try to capture that audience? And somehow you're above filthy COD players even though you admit to enjoying Nuketown 24/7? How do these players spending some money, having some fun in PvP while you're off in other playlists, then moving onto the next COD or whatever hurt the franchise?

I find it funny that you're calling me a hypocrite when I made it explicitly clear that they are two different arguments.
It's about an obvious example of hypocrisy as you can have. You arbitrarily declaring them 'different arguments' doesn't really change that.

I am an avid fan of Titanfall
Great I am too, with hundreds upon hundreds of hours on both the Xbox and PC versions, gee I hope this isn't devlovling into an appeal to authority argument.
and PvP being in the game is equivalent to Miyazaki allowing players to use an optional map in Dark Souls. Sure, no one gets hurt, but it compromises the integrity of the game.
I don't know I don't play Dark Souls... but isn't it even more like having a small map 24/7 playlist where people can go to power level their character and compromise the integrity of the in-game progression system or...?

Why are you having so much trouble understand things?
Who knows? Maybe I'm just stupid, or maybe your argument just isn't very good.

E92 M3

So, the guys who made the original COD games can't try to capture that audience? And somehow you're above filthy COD players even though you admit to enjoying Nuketown 24/7? How do these players spending some money, having some fun in PvP while you're off in other playlists, then moving onto the next COD or whatever hurt the franchise?

It's about an obvious example of hypocrisy as you can have. You arbitrarily declaring them 'different arguments' doesn't really change that.

Great I am too, with hundreds upon hundreds of hours on both the Xbox and PC versions, gee I hope this isn't devlovling into an appeal to authority argument.I don't know I don't play Dark Souls... but isn't it even more like having a small map 24/7 playlist where people can go to power level their character and compromise the integrity of the in-game progression system or...?

Who knows? Maybe I'm just stupid, or maybe your argument just isn't very good.

Why are you so worried about power leveling? Angel City is just a fun and balanced map. I consider it the Lockout/Midship of Titanfall.

Either way, this argument is going nowhere. Chances are, our views are just very opposing and I don't want to clutter the thread anymore.

Just kiss already

Hahah

--

Edit to not double post:

Meet Tone
- looks great.

So about that FoV slider...

Also, can anyone from Respawn comment on which HUD elements will have a toggle?

:)

Wait we're getting a fov slider on console? Man that would be awesome, Doom really made me appreciate not being in a cardboard box and having some peripheral vision.

Hope BF1 puts that in the console versions as well, I heard it might not be in there.

Ken Adams

Wait we're getting a fov slider on console? Man that would be awesome, Doom really made me appreciate not being in a cardboard box and having some peripheral vision.

Hope BF1 puts that in the console versions as well, I heard it might not be in there.

BF1 has fov sliders on ps4 atleast in the beta. Its a Godsend

BF1 has the FoV slider in the beta on ps4, all the way up to 105.

Top Bottom