• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU PRO Patch 1.08 - Supersampling removed from all modes [Up: New DF video]

23qwerty

So they don't bump the resolution at all now on the Pro? Fucking bizarre. Was considering replaying it on the Pro but seems like there's little point now.

Jack cw

Removing supersampling from the 30 fps mode is very disappointing. Stupid actually. At least I have the choice to delete the game from my HDD. Very consumer orientated approach ND. Taking away the biggest benefit for a lot of Pro users in that mode.

Nobody asked for this shit move. Why not let the player decide what mode he prefers?

The fact that 30fps seems to run at 1080p as well suggests that there might be some sort of bug going on which unintentionally disables downsampling.

For 4k 30 downsample yes it could be a bug but the update on the PlayStation page is clearly talking about the 1800p 60fps target will no longer downsample for 1080p users so that's intentional. I hope 4k30 fps removal is not intentional, that would just be crazy.

I suppose cynically it does make you think of getting a UHD TV though

geordiemp

Seems like a good choice. Perhaps the game is now running a locked 60 throughout?

Best solution would have been an option in the menu, though. Let people decide.

Its not exactly an issue when you give a user 2 or 3 binary choices and is better than PC where you may have 3 or 4 screens of technical options.

Got to admit, I would choose the 60 fps option every time and I play on a 4k panny. I have always just wanted 1080p60 locked on console for games so more is greedy.

Maybe they could of squeezed out a 1440p 60 compromise that locked 60....... but I wish all old games had patches so we cannot complain

I think I will wait for Digital Foundry to confirm whats going on with this patch. It wasn't too long ago people were overreacting about a Battlefield 1 Pro patch, saying it was running and looking worse after the patch and that turned out to be false.

If the super sampling has been removed, its a shame but the game still looked good at 1080p, so its not like the game is suddenly unplayable or anything and if its a solid 60fps, that's a good thing.

Cartho

On the one hand I feel like this is 100% ND's fault. Numerous games that look and run better on PRO are testament to that. This is basically ND using a mini gun to kill a mosquito.

On the other hand I feel like it raises a big issue about the role that sites like DF have in the industry right now. The problem is, they analyse in such depth, deliberately going out of their way to hammer games at the most stressful points, then they say a game "has frame drops" and "it's disappointing that it can't hold it's target frame rate". Even if those drops are brief and only occur in absurdly stressful moments.

They use equipment which analyses things that most people simply wouldn't spot and then make it into a big deal. They're similar to those people like Totalbiscuit who claim that 60 FPS is barely enough to make a game playable (he even once did an MP video where he excused himself for not doing as well as he would normally because "aiming at 30 FPS is totally impossible", which is utter rubbish). The trouble is, they have a huge readership now, and those people are very loud and militant. So a game which suffers from 1-2 FPS drops in busy scenes now "has a dreadful framerate" according to forum narrative. The hyperbole that sites like this use is damaging the industry in my opinion.

Bl@de

Just loaded the game up quickly and took a couple of Share button screenshots on my Pro without moving the camera (Sarah moved on her own, and the lighting is slightly different from the TV in the background, but it's close enough):

60FPS:

30FPS:

It definitely looks like supersampling is gone from both modes. They seem identical to me; the option in the menu is just a 60FPS on/off switch now. I have no idea why they'd do that. Making the 60FPS mode properly 60FPS is something I'm fine with, but why mess around with the 4K 30FPS mode?

I only have a 1080p, non-HDR TV, so I don't know if that makes any difference. Maybe they lock away 4K unless you're actually using a 4K TV? Someone else will have to check.

So the Pro features were removed alltogether for 1080p owners? 1080p in both and a toggle for 30/60 is a weird choice. Why not 1080p/60fps and Downsampling@30fps? What's the point of the 30fps mode now?

Jack cw

If the super sampling has been removed, its a shame but the game still looked good at 1080p, so its not like the game is suddenly unplayable or anything and if its a solid 60fps, that's a good thing.
That is not the point.
I and many bought a Pro for supersampling and the huge boost in image quality. The game looked so much better than native 1080p. Again, the exaggerated bullshit about 4 frames dropping in taxing areas in 60 fps mode leading to a decision like this from the dev gives me the feeling that ND lack any self confidence. Removing it from the 30 fps mode is again moronic.

sirap

Had a feeling this would happen when people started complaining about the dips and treating it as the end of the world/PS4 PRO doomed.

Shame too, because this game looked gorgeous with supersampling and higher frame-rates.

Yarbskoo

Thanks a lot, people who complain about video games. If it weren't for your complaining about a 0.1 frames drop that happens maybe twice in this video game, none of this would have happened. If you weren't all so busy screaming "Please Naughty Dog, please remove the graphical enhancements from the 30fps mode. I can't bear to see all these pixels!" they never would have tried to improve it and we'd still have a video game that was mostly better than the base PS4 game for normal people who aren't basement dwelling frame whores with body pillows that have the Digital Foundry logo printed on them.

Thanks to you guys I had to sell my PS4 Pro and use that money to buy a base PS4 so I can play without this horribly broken patch. I hope you're happy.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Drama queens and click bait headlines won.
At least it runs butter smooth now (locked 60fps from what I saw) and still looks very good, jaggies included.

I hope this is not going to spread to other games in the future... a lot more muted PS4 Pro enhancements to make sure there is not even one single case in 40 hours of game plays where the frame rate goes even 0.5 FPS below the PS4 equivalent else Digital Foundry will make a "oh my God games are SLOW on PS4!!!!" headline which will be repeated by very very concerned posters which own both Xbox One and PS4... sigh... :/.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That is not the point.
I and many bought a Pro for supersampling and the huge boost in image quality. The game looked so much better than native 1080p. Again, the exaggerated bullshit about 4 frames dropping in taxing areas in 60 fps mode leading to a decision like this from the dev gives me the feeling that ND lack any self confidence. Removing it from the 30 fps mode is again moronic.

I cannot believe they took it off in the 30 FPS mode too... what the..???? What is the point of the 30 FPS mode when you have HQ shadow in both modes now? I wanted to play in that mode for the highest quality possible and now on PS4 Pro I can either play in 4K if I buy a new TV or I get zilch? C'mon supersampling in 1080p was one of the selling points for the console for me.

Daffy Duck

The Pro is fine and there are plenty of games that make good use of it. ND fumbling the ball on this and UC4 Pro patches is disappointing but using it as some kind of stick to make general statements about the hardware is nonsense.

Which is kind of funny considering people herald Naughty Dog as gods when it comes to PS4 games and being able to get every ounce of performance from the system.

DieH@rd

Banned
Thanks Digital Foundry. You just ruined IQ of an awesome game just because you thought that few lost frames per second in a 60fps game was TOTALLY UNACEPTABLE.

Sigh...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Which is kind of funny considering people herald Naughty Dog as gods when it comes to PS4 games and being able to get every ounce of performance from the system.

I guess they have better projects to work on and believe their games look good enough already... maybe they are just taking what the PS4 Pro was heralded as... a 4K machine so beyond allowing 4K a better experience, not a lot of interest is there to make life that much better for 1080p users. Maybe they have data or are convinced that there are few 1080p users with a PS4 Pro.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
On the one hand I feel like this is 100% ND's fault. Numerous games that look and run better on PRO are testament to that. This is basically ND using a mini gun to kill a mosquito.

On the other hand I feel like it raises a big issue about the role that sites like DF have in the industry right now. The problem is, they analyse in such depth, deliberately going out of their way to hammer games at the most stressful points, then they say a game "has frame drops" and "it's disappointing that it can't hold it's target frame rate". Even if those drops are brief and only occur in absurdly stressful moments.

They use equipment which analyses things that most people simply wouldn't spot and then make it into a big deal. They're similar to those people like Totalbiscuit who claim that 60 FPS is barely enough to make a game playable (he even once did an MP video where he excused himself for not doing as well as he would normally because "aiming at 30 FPS is totally impossible", which is utter rubbish). The trouble is, they have a huge readership now, and those people are very loud and militant. So a game which suffers from 1-2 FPS drops in busy scenes now "has a dreadful framerate" according to forum narrative. The hyperbole that sites like this use is damaging the industry in my opinion.

The frame pacing discussions were pretty huge too...

Thanks Digital Foundry. You just ruined IQ of an awesome game just because you thought that few lost frames per second in a 60fps game was TOTALLY UNACEPTABLE.

Sigh...

Yea, it's fucked up that DF broke into the Naughty Dog offices and compiled a 1080p patch while no one was watching. I hope ND can recover from this accident. My thoughts are with them.

brobban

Yea, it's fucked up that DF broke into the Naughty Dog offices and compiled a 1080p patch while no one was watching. I hope ND can recover from this accident. My thoughts are with them.
This.
I would always choose 60 fps over IQ, but there should really be an option to select what ever your preference might be.

Yarbskoo

i think naughty dog may have done this not digital foundry, perhaps we can get an insider to confirm?

No, see, by mentioning they didn't like some aspect of this game, Digital Foundry and their framer gaters have literally forced Naughty Dog to do this, against their will.

IBCreepin

Neo Member
I understand that was likely a reaction to people's frustrations over the frame rate issues that the game was having on the PS4 Pro. However, I thought the game looked absolutely incredible when it was supersampled pre-1.08 on my 1080p set. I ask, humbly, that ND give us the option to toggle it on or off. When I tried TLoU on my Pro, it singlehandedly justified my decision to purchase the system. I want 1800p supersampling with a target of 60 fps on my 1080p set back. Please, ND, give us the power to choose.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
For 4k 30 downsample yes it could be a bug but the update on the PlayStation page is clearly talking about the 1800p 60fps target will no longer downsample for 1080p users so that's intentional. I hope 4k30 fps removal is not intentional, that would just be crazy.

I suppose cynically it does make you think of getting a UHD TV though

No, it just reminds me of why iterative consoles are a business model that is bad for consumers and only goof for the HW manufacturer if they can get people to buy into it... a proper PS5 would have had no problem giving supersampling and 60 FPS.

No, see, by mentioning they didn't like some aspect of this game, Digital Foundry and their framer gaters have literally forced Naughty Dog to do this, against their will.

Don't blame the messenger.

It's pretty obvious Naughty Dog doesn't want to put a lot of time into the pro modes for their older games. Otherwise why completely butcher the downsample option instead of optimising it? It's perfectly reasonable that devs rather focus on new games though. People however have come to expect nothing but the best from ND so this is slightly disappointing.

DieH@rd

Banned
I ask, humbly, that ND give us the option to toggle it on or off. When I tried TLoU on my Pro, it singlehandedly justified my decision to purchase the system. I want 1800p supersampling with a target of 60 fps on my 1080p set back. Please, ND, give us the power to choose.

They will do that when your request becomes talking point of a hundred news articles and podcasts around the world. DF did its damage. Enjoy perfect 60fps.

That is not the point.

Personally I didn't mind the frame drops either, like you say, it really wasn't bad and its a shame for 1080p owners but I have a 4k TV and have been playing at native 4k/30fps because even in 60fps mode, the shadows still had pretty obvious jaggies compared to the much better shadows in native 4k mode.

I apologise if this hasn't been mentioned already, but this has been driving me insane for ages now. The 30fps doesn't have better shadows, in fact the shadows are downright broken in this mode and they have been since release. Every patch that has came out for this game I have hopped on in hopes of the broken shadows being fixed. Today I read that they removed supersampling from the 1080p version and upgraded the shadows to the quality of the 30fps mode, I thought surely this issue would have been resolved. But no, everyone is stuck with the broken shadows on 1080p displays now, even at 60fps, and not a single damn person in the world seems to notice. It wasn't even mentioned in the apparent in-depth analysis of the Pro version by Digital Foundry, in which they actually recommended the 30fps mode over 60 with the higher shadow quality being a bonus. Sure the shadows do look cleaner at 30fps, but half of them are missing. Half of Joel's damn body shadow is missing in the 30fps mode, plus numerous shadows just not being rendered properly. It boggles my mind that barely anyone has noticed this, not even Naughty Dog apparently since they haven't patched this.

60fps mode:
http://imgur.com/WM7QJXb

30fps mode:
http://imgur.com/4EM4jh4

The pics weren't showing up for me so I uploaded them to imgur, should work now, please everyone have a look at this. It's disappointing that such a great game like The Last of Us is visually broken with people on the Pro with 1080p sets. I've checked on my Pro, and at 1080p everyone is stuck with the horrible unfinished shadows. Please Naughty Dog, fix this.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I wonder how much misinformation is here. First the previous high frame rate mode dropped into the 40s - not only a 2fps drop. If it was ideal you could choose whether you want that in addition to the toggle for 30fps but if you want better graphics you should be choosing 30fps anyway. The game runs fine in 30fps and is not particularly high paced enough for it to matter especially if you prefer stealth (in my opinion).

So what remains is

-that there may or may not be a bug in 30fps mode which affects the internal resolution the game is running in. Obviously it would be a bug if it weren't running in the higher resolution.
-whether people in 1080p still have the ability to supersample. If you can select 30fps the answer should be yes, unless there is a bug
-what that dude says in the post right above mine about shadows

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The key here is giving me an option on how to make use of my more powerful system...

Why? Not a lot of users... no exclusives allowed (not a new generation)... a marketing feature (4K support, check)... Kind of a small preview of the iterative/iPhone like consoles future people seems to scream of. MS and Sony would love that idea... better margins, no worries about reengineering existing models to make them cheaper (they just discontinue them after a while and sell you something new)... consumers? Not so much :p.

Saty

The 'blame' is only on the developer. You offer choices and toggles. It's a no-brainer but still astonishing that some developers don't get it or some console players are up in arms about the games having any gfx options.

When games get criticized about difficulty, the developers doesn't panic and force a single difficulty option; they provide several challenge settings.

NewDust

What is even the point of having the 30fps mode on 1080p output? I just bought a Pro yesterday, and it's kind of disappointing to have the main reason for me, supersampling, to be removed.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I apologise if this hasn't been mentioned already, but this has been driving me insane for ages now. The 30fps doesn't have better shadows, in fact the shadows are downright broken in this mode and they have been since release. Every patch that has came out for this game I have hopped on in hopes of the broken shadows being fixed. Today I read that they removed supersampling from the 1080p version and upgraded the shadows to the quality of the 30fps mode, I thought surely this issue would have been resolved. But no, everyone is stuck with the broken shadows on 1080p displays now, even at 60fps, and not a single damn person in the world seems to notice. It wasn't even mentioned in the apparent in-depth analysis of the Pro version by Digital Foundry, in which they actually recommended the 30fps mode over 60 with the higher shadow quality being a bonus. Sure the shadows do look cleaner at 30fps, but half of them are missing. Half of Joel's damn body shadow is missing in the 30fps mode, plus numerous shadows just not being rendered properly. It boggles my mind that barely anyone has noticed this, not even Naughty Dog apparently since they haven't patched this.

60fps mode:
5ilgsiulw.jpg

30fps mode:
5imhbfL9C.jpg

Apologies if the pictures don't work, I used a website called Pasteboard in my hurry, but everything should hopefully work. Anyway, I've checked on my Pro, and at 1080p everyone is stuck with the horrible unfinished shadows. Please Naughty Dog, fix this.

I did not expect a first party developer to do this actually. I expect third parties to do token upgrades until the new model were to become the default model... I thought it would be third parties to start to show the inherent dangers of iterative consoles (that we seen on other products like iPhone for example).

Then again Sony gives them a lot of latitude (no way Nintendo would have accepted their first party teams to mostly snub / avoid a console like PS Vita helping its early demise... be one team and all) and beyond 4K there is little incentive to do anything for the new console given how marketing sells it as purely a 4K PS4.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
What is even the point of having the 30fps mode on 1080p output? I just bought a Pro yesterday, and it's kind of disappointing to have the main reason for me, supersampling, to be removed.

Some developers, luckily only ND, seem to be taking the "PS 4 Pro == 4K PS4" to heart and stop once they get it running in 4K/4Kc mode.

Yarbskoo

but what can we, the level headed mature gamer do about this?

Never ever complain about something you don't like in a video game, especially if it's something I don't care about.

In fact, you're better off just not expressing any opinions whatsoever. Someone might take something the wrong way and think their game isn't perfect, and when they screw everything up when trying to fix it it'll be entirely your fault.

leng jai

60fps mode:
WM7QJXb

30fps mode:
4EM4jh4

Anyway, I've checked on my Pro, and at 1080p everyone is stuck with the horrible unfinished shadows. Please Naughty Dog, fix this.

I've never noticed because I've literally never spent more than 5 minutes in 30fps mode for TLOU since it feels simply awful.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
but what can we, the level headed mature gamer do about this?

Politely ask ND on social media what happened? Why supersampling is off for the 40 FPS mode?
Why are shadows broken on non 4K displays?

Being nice, respectful, and polite does not mean shutting up and accepting things as they are.

So any reason why Naughty dog don't just add a setting to choose from to have supersampling? While saying in a tool tip that the game may run slightly under 60fps or 30 fps at times, that way no one can really complain then.

Lime

What a mess and why punish your consumers who just spend 400 dollars on your new machine? What the fuck.

And whoever is supporting this is just wow

Top Bottom