• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU PRO Patch 1.08 - Supersampling removed from all modes [Up: New DF video]

holygeesus

Banned
It wouldn't surprise me if it turns out Sony are leaning on devs to do this, as it just makes the Pro look bad if it runs at a lower framerate than on a base PS4 at the same resolution.

Tuning a console game to run with fairly frequent drops from 30 or 60fps doesn't make any sense to me when people are going to be playing on fixed refresh displays. Aim to hit one or the other the majority of the time. I can't imagine any PC gamer would be downsampling from 1800p if they're so close to a consistent 60fps. That said, I really wouldn't expect to drop all the way from 1800p to 1080p to achieve this. Weird.

Jacob4815

It wouldn't surprise me if it turns out Sony are leaning on devs to do this, as it just makes the Pro look bad if it runs at a lower framerate than on a base PS4 at the same resolution.

Probably. But there is no excuse to remove the supersampling from the 30 fps mode. That was perfect 30fps locked.

60fps without supersampling is fine, but removal of supersampling at 30fps gotta be unintentional bug.

I want to bring attention to another issue that not many seem to care about, not even Digital Foundry brought it up. High quality shadows are very broken, they've been broken since they were added to PS4 remaster. High quality shadows often only display partially or none at all (depends on situation). I made comparison shots a while back here. There is no longer a way to disable high quality shadows on the Pro.

Ferr986

Seriously this thread is embarassing. Blaming DF and the consumers for ND fucking with the patches? And you call DF hyperbolic?

There's no excuse for this. They basically turned the Pro patch to a Non-Pro patch. Blaming someone else for ND incompetence (mind you, with this patch, not with their games) is lying yourself.

I mean, removing the supersampling in 30 fps mode when that mode ran locked shows how halfassed this patch is. can't believe that people after seeing that still blame the players. It's truly amazing...

Wtf I knew something was up when I played this yesterday for the first time in a week. I noticed the lack of supersampling more than the frame rate drops....wtf naughty dog at least give us the option.

dr_rus

Give to 1080p users a 1080p/60 fps option and a 1080p(supersampled)/30 fps option.
Like Infamous: Second Son.

Everybody will be happy.

I'm surprised they haven't done this. It seems like a mistake really as there is no reason why 30 fps mode can't be downsampled in 1080p as this is just the same mode used for upscaling to 4K.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I'm surprised they haven't done this. It seems like a mistake really as there is no reason why 30 fps mode can't be downsampled in 1080p as this is just the same mode used for upscaling to 4K.

they did. before this patch removed it. that's why people are pissed lol

NXGamer

It's what the drama queens asked for! :D
Sad but oh so true!

Completely unrequired but I can see why they did this (aside the 30fps option),I guess we could see the OS doing this in the future which I really hope is not the case.

Add an option for image quality or performance to allow players to decide is what I would recommend.

ForeverRed

Neo Member
I'm pretty fucking gutted about this. I just bought a PS4 Pro specifically to replay this with the improved visuals. Is there any way to get the previous patch instead?

I'm pretty fucking gutted about this. I just bought a PS4 Pro specifically the replay this with the improved visuals. Is there any way to get the previous patch instead?

That's what I did too, and I actually started replaying TLOU for this and loved how clean it looked. Then yesterday I noticed all the melee weapons on Joel's back started to look shimmery and now reading this thread explained it.

Sorry a couple of small Frames drops didn't bother me with the dramatic change in IQ. That's something I actually noticed. Quite frankly I don't think many can notice the difference of 2 frames without a frame counter on screen.
Drops below 60 on a 60hz TV cause tearing or juddering. That's way more noticeable than dropping a notch or two of downsampling. The thing is, they haven't dropped a notch or two, it's gone all the way from 1800p to 1080p. Which is confusing. If this were a PC game I personally would expect a drop to 1620p would go most of the way to sorting the frame rate, which you're unlikely to notice. Maybe the checkerboarding isn't quite so flexible?

I don't get it, I thought the 60fps mode was supersampled from a higher resolution. I know there was a 4k 30fps mode too.

What are the options now? 1080p/60 with better shadows only for 1080p users? Can't even select the 4k mode?

I don't get it, I thought the 60fps mode was supersampled from a higher resolution. I know there was a 4k 30fps mode too.

What are the options now? 1080p/60 with better shadows only for 1080p users? Can't even select the 4k mode?

Right now it's 1080p30 or 1080p60 if you have a 1080p TV. Identical image quality on both options; the 30FPS option just toggles the framerate lock on or off.

dmix90

Option 1: 1080p/60 with broken shadows
Option 2: 1080p/30 with broken shadows

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

dr_rus

they did. before this patch removed it. that's why people are pissed lol

They did in both 30 and 60 fps modes though and this patch removed it from both. While it's kinda justified for 60 there's literally no explanation for removal of downsampling from 30 fps one. So this feels like a mistake more than anything.

Is there anyway to stay at version 1.07 after reinstalling the game ?

I let the patch download yesterday. I don't give a shit about the minor framerate improvements, I wanted to play my favorite game of all time with downsampling.

If I reinstall the game, I assume it'll just download 1.08 with all previous updates included ?

Peltz

Naughty Dog just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about graphic-whore culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in the rest of the world where you can become successful by having locked 60fps gameplay. If you have any aliasing, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the graphic-whore public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase The Last of Us for either system, nor will they purchase any of Naughty Dog's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Naughty Dog has alienated an entire market with this move.

Naughty Dog, publicly apologize and cancel this patch for PS4 Pro or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Jacob4815

Is there anyway to stay at version 1.07 after reinstalling the game ?

I let the patch download yesterday. I don't give a shit about the minor framerate improvements, I wanted to play my favorite game of all time with downsampling.

If I reinstall the game, I assume it'll just download 1.08 with all previous updates included ?

There's no way after a reinstallation. Or you play with 1.00 or 1.08 :(

dEvAnGeL

Increíble to think that ROT: Tomb Raider is probably the best PRO game when it comes to options and not a game from the "best" Sony studio, which i think they're not but that's another topic

123rl

Naughty Dog just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about graphic-whore culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in the rest of the world where you can become successful by having locked 60fps gameplay. If you have any aliasing, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the graphic-whore public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase The Last of Us for either system, nor will they purchase any of Naughty Dog's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Naughty Dog has alienated an entire market with this move.

Naughty Dog, publicly apologize and cancel this patch for PS4 Pro or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Nice

Increíble to think that ROT: Tomb Raider is probably the best PRO game when it comes to options and not a game from the "best" Sony studio, which i think they're not but that's another topic

While Tomb Raider does have more options, it's not exactly the best candidate for comparison because it currently suffers from a horrible frame-pacing issue in 4K and Enriched mode; it has been like that for a while and we haven't heard anything from Nixxes.

dealer-

The latest Tomb Raider patch introduced frame pacing issues across the board, not sure if it has been fixed yet. The problem with these patches is that Pro owners can get the rug pulled from under them at any time.

Tecnniqe

Banned
It's pretty shitty that players are left at the mercy of each game dev to turn SS on or off instead of adding a option in for it.

But then again people complain about having to spend time in a options menu every now and then.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Put the super sampling back in the 30 fps option ... you're done. Seems odd taking it out of that mode.

Almost certainly a mistake. Shurely.

They were probably rushing to get the 60fps patch out. I would hope that the 1080p/60 is also only temporary, and they'll increase that to give some downsampling once they can find a good setting that doesn't impact the framerate

Koobion

Glad I already played through it at 4k native.

I don't understand this at all. Surely it's a bug...the 30fps mode, anyway. The 1080p 60 change makes sense.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Drops below 60 on a 60hz TV cause tearing or juddering. That's way more noticeable than dropping a notch or two of downsampling. The thing is, they haven't dropped a notch or two, it's gone all the way from 1800p to 1080p. Which is confusing. If this were a PC game I personally would expect a drop to 1620p would go most of the way to sorting the frame rate, which you're unlikely to notice. Maybe the checkerboarding isn't quite so flexible?

I disagree, lack of downsampling on console games can be very very noticeable. With 720p-to-1080p graphics especially so. The higher the resolution the less you may notice it, but it still helps even then... proper anti-aliasing is needed even at resolution such as 8K to get the perfect image quality movies strive for.

Bebpo

Banned
Almost certainly a mistake. Shurely.

They were probably rushing to get the 60fps patch out. I would hope that the 1080p/60 is also only temporary, and they'll increase that to give some downsampling once they can find a good setting that doesn't impact the framerate

Hopefully. I'd rather play it supersampled @ 30fps than 60fps from when I first tried it on Pro. I mean the game was built for 30fps in the first place which is fine. Looked gorgeous supersampled.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sad but oh so true!

Completely unrequired but I can see why they did this (aside the 30fps option),I guess we could see the OS doing this in the future which I really hope is not the case.

Add an option for image quality or performance to allow players to decide is what I would recommend.

Now the only perk 1080p TV owners have is some broken shadows... nice selling point :).

spwolf

Not sure how to read that, as I think it was clearly intended as a diss.

But the etymology bore in me likes the use of ludicrous, as it stems from ludus (to play). Apt word.

But I still hold to that point. Their business strategy stinks. There is no uniformity, they came out at a similar time, with limited supply, little marketing, no unified approach to marketing, no real identification of selling points, and no appreciation of the price propositions (pro plus vr plus 4k screen) in the current marketplace. I could go on, but I don't want to derail the thread.

yes, they should have sold it at $400 for Pro, PSVR and 55" 4K TV. I fully agree.

60fps without supersampling is fine, but removal of supersampling at 30fps gotta be unintentional bug.

I want to bring attention to another issue that not many seem to care about, not even Digital Foundry brought it up. High quality shadows are very broken, they've been broken since they were added to PS4 remaster. High quality shadows often only display partially or none at all (depends on situation). I made comparison shots a while back here. There is no longer a way to disable high quality shadows on the Pro.

Hopefully. I'd rather play it supersampled @ 30fps than 60fps from when I first tried it on Pro. I mean the game was built for 30fps in the first place which is fine. Looked gorgeous supersampled.

Don't agree with that at all. It's not like the 60fps for a stutterfest unlike Skyrim. The multiplayer ran good enough. We should get options.

On a separate note, we, the gamers, should stick together and not accept this. Never mind blaming DF or Gafer's - that's a fucking joke. We should rise and complain and expect more together....

Melchiah

they removed supersampling from 1800p, so now it looks like image quality is worse and very jaggied.

YES, SUPERSAMPLING IS REMOVED FROM THE 30 FPS MODE TOO.

Fuck this shit. I just bought the Pro and started replaying the game in the 30fps mode, and now they made it look worse on 1080p displays. I was looking forward to continue from Bill's town next week, where the game really gets going, but I guess I'll pass now, since I've already experienced it in the same form on the regular PS4. SMH

EDIT: It's beyond me why they remove options from the players.

Jacob4815

On a separate note, we, the gamers, should stick together and not accept this. Never mind blaming DF or Gafer's - that's a fucking joke. We should rise and complain and expect more together....

Could we contact Arne for an explanation?
This situation is unacceptable.

score01

Almost certainly a mistake. Shurely

I'm thinking the same as well but only WTF ever happened to testing? It's hardly like there are millions of configuration combinations. This gen has been the worst ever for games being released unfinished and now we are getting a spate of patches that fix one thing then break others. Quite frankly, if this is a bug, it's pretty embarressing.

Fuck this shit. I just bought the Pro and started replaying the game in the 30fps mode, and now they made it look worse on 1080p displays. I was looking forward to continue from Bill's town next week, where the game really gets going, but I guess I'll pass now, since I've already experienced it in the same form on the regular PS4. SMH

EDIT: It's beyond me why they remove options from the players.

Yep. Just at this point myself.

Could we contact Arne for an explanation?
This situation is unacceptable.

I wouldn't know where to start but I'm sure someone here does.

Top Bottom