• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition (PS4/XB1) is 30 FPS

omonimo

Banned
I guess a solid 30fps would still be a an upgrade over the original console versions (which i have not played) but damn wouldn't you want to give your audience a better playing game despite of course most people not knowing what the difference would be unless they actually play it, oh well maybe it's because i play mostly on pc but i wonder why these cross-gen games can't be pushed farther.
Coming to the console, hd collections are mostly 60 fps & 720p but because they have exactly the same graphic setting of the past generation. That's it. Probably 60fps requires exactly the same setting of the last generation.

icespide

Banned
So you just wanted a minor resolution upgrade from the new consoles port. really? I'm not sure how people can by "fine" with this. even if you are a fan for the game. there is no real fixes or tweaks to the core gameplay, no real extras like new locations or quests, no real graphical upgrade (like complete reworked textures) no gain in performance. it's just upscaled port for full price.

I think it's pretty cynical to say it's only a resolution bump, they clearly added lots of new effects, tweaks to lighting and particle effects, reworked models in certain areas, less compressed textures, etc.

I saw the comparison video and thought the PS4 version looked greatly enhanced. people act like they literally just tweaked the resolution and then shipped it

Momentary

Banned
Are not even that shitty how pc elitist continue to substain imho

They are not shitty, but they are pretty low end on the hardware side of things.

Anyway, people who say Tress 2.0 isn't the reason for the 30 FPS are gullible. That's the whole reason this game isn't pushing 60. I bet if they brought 2.0 over to the PC version it would still put low end enthusiast cards to work.

omonimo

Banned
I refuse to believe a last-gen game ported to next-gen consoles cannot maitain 60 fps in 1080p.

I think it's pretty cynical to say it's only a resolution bump, they clearly added lots of new effects, tweaks to lighting and particle effects, reworked models in certain areas, less compressed textures, etc.

I saw the comparison video and thought the PS4 version looked greatly enhanced. people act like they literally just tweaked the resolution and then shipped it
Thanks to God. It seems a lot here don't know to what they talking about. Probably don't know even this video.

omonimo

Banned
They are not shitty, but they are pretty low end on the hardware side of things.

Anyway, people who say Tress 2.0 isn't the reason for the 30 FPS are gullible. That's the whole reason this game isn't pushing 60. I bet if they brought 2.0 over to the PC version it would still put low end enthusiast cards to work.
Ah low end yeah... & here we go again.

Why does everyone keep saying last gen game when the pc version ran like this with ps4 equivalent card.

13632141234v2TkTbPdM_4_4.jpg

No doubt if they just raised the resolution and kept the same textures,lighting, particle effects and low poly models without tessellation it would run at 60fps. You can't have both.

PBY

Banned

Saw the same vid. Was really unimpressed.

KORNdoggy

Full price previous gen up res and not even 60fps? And they have the cheek to call it "definitive"

May as well just replay it on PS3.

Aaron

After playing it at a solid 60 on PC, and looking damned fine even without tress effects on, I wouldn't want to play it any other way. The responsiveness of the controls and the fluidity of the animation mean more than skin effects that will only be noticeable in cut scenes.

Saw the same vid. Was really unimpressed.

Id hate to have you're eyes then, I was impressed bigtime, Especially with the new face, Look how much better she looks now, Current gen her looks deformed compared too it. It's not a £50 upgrade but I didn't play the current version. Maybe it's a console/PC thing.....PC gamers are used to nitpicking and having the best, Console gamers give no fucks so to speak and are just generally happy with it looking good.

Fine by me. If you want 60fps all the time get a PC.

Is this a statement that will we will see all generation long? Hmm...

Depends on how many next-gen console buyers feel that their purchase entitled them to nothing but 60 FPS games.

It's like listening to people bitch about lack of horsepower after buying a Chevy Cavalier. No shit, Sherlock. If horsepower was so important to you, then you should have bought a Mustang.

boeso

Remember the good old days when people went to the store, bought a game, brought it home and played it?

It's a console. It is what it is. If you're so picky about the technical details and have special needs that just have to be met with regard to frame rate, resolution, IQ etc. - then, "we have a system for you, it's called a PC."

Tweak to your heart's content. Make your own decisions in the IQ vs. frame rate debate and make the game look and perform exactly how you'd like it. Maybe then you can do us all a favor and stop shitting all over every console game that doesn't meet your lofty standards.

/End angry old man rant...

'ding ding ding ding ding'..

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Releasing this at 60fps might also send the wrong signal and set the wrong expectations when it comes to next gen TR sequels, if those are going to target 30fps. Maybe that was also a concern.

I think that is probably a legitimate possibility. Like AC4. These are 30fps franchises (on consoles) and in some ways it makes sense for them to keep it that way.

Still. I just don't find it impressive. They missed the next gen launch hype, the game is old, shouldn't be $60 for a graphics mod...

You folks thinking this gen was going to be all 60fps and 1080p need to keep dreaming. Most devs will sacrifice framerate for visuals. That's not really going to change just because we have new machines.

We saw a nudge towards 60fps next gen with BF4 being 60fps on consoles (though I am not sure if they will stick to 60 for BF5), Halo 5 will be sacrificing visuals for 60fps. But I haven't seen it make a big impact on console development expectations.

zorbsie

I'm OK with 30 FPS as long as it's native 1080p. Having said that I'm still waiting for the price to drop before I double dip on this game.

x3sphere

Why does everyone keep saying last gen game when the pc version ran like this with ps4 equivalent card.

13632141234v2TkTbPdM_4_4.jpg

No doubt if they just raised the resolution and kept the same textures,lighting, particle effects and low poly models without tessellation it would run at 60fps. You can't have both.

I think that's with TressFX on?

TressFX isn't worth the framerate hit.. I played through it on PC and 60 FPS adds a lot more to the gameplay than TressFX.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
For those wondering, Lachlan Williams is editor-in-chief of OnlySP and went hands-on with the PS4 version, it's worth a read about all the graphical updates: http://www.onlysp.com/tomb-raider-definitive-edition-hands-on-preview/

I asked him if he experienced any FPS drops:

unbs3bB.png
Bodes well. This was never going to be 60fps with higher than Ultra PC settings, 1080p, and Tress but a smooth 30 is nice. Hopefully more devs aim for at least that instead of the abysmal framerates of the past couple years.

Definitive* Edition

Not all that surprising. Tress fx is super demanding. On my gtx 670 tress fx would drop it to 40ish fps. I played with it off mostly.

Jobbs

Banned
I think it's sad and weird that I want to buy this, but I do want to buy it. I'm just that starved for new PS4 games.

Still gonna pick it up. It looks great and it will help me get through the next Gen drought until February and March. I've played and beaten all my Xbox One games and need something new.

Card Boy

Banned
30FPS seems fair for a game like this. The game struggled with everything maxed out on my 670. TressFX is the real FPS killer, it wipes like 40 FPS from the game.

BLunted

Banned
I just think it's funny how 8 months ago everyone was like "8 GIGs DDR5, coded to the metal asshole! Of course games will be 1080P 60FPS" to now "meh, never wanted 60FPS anyway".

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I just think it's funny how 8 months ago everyone was like "8 GIGs DDR5, coded to the metal asshole! Of course games games will be 1080P 60FPS" to now "meh, never wanted 60FPS anyway".
The people that thought that the RAM upgrade meant 60fps didn't really know what RAM does.

SmokyDave

I just think it's funny how 8 months ago everyone was like "8 GIGs DDR5, coded to the metal asshole! Of course games games will be 1080P 60FPS" to now "meh, never wanted 60FPS anyway".
Eh, not everyone. I wasn't expecting 1080p, let alone 60fps. I just expected my games to look a lot better. Now they look a lot better, and they're in 1080p. Bonus.

Of course, I could play the definitive version on my PC, but I don't think my Phenom II / 5850 will run it at 1080p30, never mind anything higher.

I just think it's funny how 8 months ago everyone was like "8 GIGs DDR5, coded to the metal asshole! Of course games will be 1080P 60FPS" to now "meh, never wanted 60FPS anyway".

A lot of people also weren't saying that, but nice generalization.

Also, because one developer doesn't hit those numbers doesn't mean others won't.

BLunted

Banned
A lot of people also weren't saying that, but nice generalization.

Also, because one developer doesn't hit those numbers doesn't mean others won't.

You're right, I was generalizing, but i have to disagree with "A lot of people also weren't saying that". GAF was pretty unbearable back then if you weren't a console warrior.

ymmv

Banned
I think that's with TressFX on?

TressFX isn't worth the framerate hit.. I played through it on PC and 60 FPS adds a lot more to the gameplay than TressFX.

I got 60fps with TressFX turned on, but then again I have a GTX 680 SLI setup. TressFX (or rather Physx in general) is a performance killer. It wasn't worth it with AC4, but I did like it with TR.

ymmv

Banned
Wow, 30fps is pretty fuckin sad. Epic fail.

The hyperbole is strong in this thread. TR was a damn fine game, I enjoyed it immensely on the PC. This is obviously the best console version. It's completely unrealistic to expect both TressFX hair simulation and 60fps when you need two GTX 680s to get a stable 60fs on the PC.

Vaiim

Saw it coming - if it was 60fps they would have been bragging about it. Shame really, but I wasn't going to buy it for $60 anyway. The PC version has been on sale for as low as $5.

Top Bottom