• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition (PS4/XB1) is 30 FPS

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Saw that from a mile away. Game doesn't run at 60 on my PC maxed out with tress fx, and my PC is way more powerful than my PS4/Xbox One.

Since the definitive version adds graphical features on top of what PC ultra has, (minus AA/AF), then its impressive it is running at a solid 30.

gioGAF

I will wait for a Digital Foundry comparison on this. If both versions are identical, I would be disappointed. It would confirm large publishers will be forcing parity instead of optimizing for any given platform.

93xfan

Banned
Unsurprising. Honestly, as fine as I am with 30fps, it better be rock solid 30fps. ACIV on PS4 feels far smoother than most 30fps games on consoles because it doesn't ever drop.
I completely agree. I'll wait and see what Digital Foundry says.

MaLDo

Bodes well. This was never going to be 60fps with higher than Ultra PC settings, 1080p, and Tress but a smooth 30 is nice. Hopefully more devs aim for at least that instead of the abysmal framerates of the past couple years.

Ultra in PC has tessellation activated, but Definitive edition doesn't have tessellation, so polycount is lower. Ambient occlusion and shadows looks toned down too in definitive edition. Same for SSAA that is there only for PC and LOD ratio for far objects. 90% of the "upgrades" are artistic changes, and the most important downgrade is framerate.

Ultra in PC has tessellation activated, but Definitive edition doesn't have tessellation, so polycount is lower. Ambient occlusion and shadows looks toned down too in definitive edition. Same for SSAA that is there only for PC and LOD ratio for far objects. 90% of the "upgrades" are artistic changes, and the most important downgrade is framerate.

definitive edition doesn't have tessellation? and ssaa?
ok..
they have changed Lara's face and this is the next gen game!
yea!

Leb

I think the problem isn't so much that the game is 30 fps, or that it still can't match the PC in certain critical areas, but rather that they spent a year overhauling the game only to add some minor graphical enhancements instead of, for instance, adding some substantial new content like real tombs with real puzzles or refactoring some of the core gameplay to address some of the universal complaints with the game.

boyshine

And it's confirmed as 1920x1080? On both? I'm always skeptical when they say 1080p, because that's usually output resolution, upscaled, or with some horisontal res trickfoolery.

Falk

that puzzling face
h92C7134A

This GIF isn't 30fps; I refuse to look at this post.

thelastword

Banned
With TressFX no it couldn't hit 60fps. I maintain about 45 fps with TressFX enabled on my 7950.
I've heard many pc gamers say the same about the game due to tressfx, but I'm thinking that the closed platform nature of the consoles and with further optimization that would have been enough to get it to 60fps at least on the PS4.

The way I see it now though, if there is parity between the One and PS4 version of this game, (as they said 1080p 30fps for both) then that means the PS4 is being undertilized, so I was just thinking perhaps they could unlock the framerate and let the PS4 version get to 45-60fps wavering.

MaLDo

I've heard many pc gamers say the same about the game due to tressfx, but I'm thinking that the closed platform nature of the consoles and with further optimization that would have been enough to get it to 60fps at least on the PS4.

The way I see it now though, if there is parity between the One and PS4 version of this game, (as they said 1080p 30fps for both) then that means the PS4 is being undertilized, so I was just thinking perhaps they could unlock the framerate and let the PS4 version get to 45-60fps wavering.

No because big bottleneck in Tomb raider is cpu performance. So gpu in next gen consoles will be not stressed without more added effects over current gen version, that's why they can add the new optimized version of tressfx but not an increased framerate.

thelastword

Banned
No because big bottleneck in Tomb raider is cpu performance. So gpu in next gen consoles will be not stressed without more added effects over current gen version, that's why they can add the new optimized version of tressfx but not an increased framerate.
Well I figure if they can lock it at 30 and it doesn't dip on the PS4, that means that it can go higher, the question is are they locking it for parity or will there be less effects on the XBONE version to get it to parity on the framerate and resolution scale?

Pimpbaa

The way I see it now though, if there is parity between the One and PS4 version of this game, (as they said 1080p 30fps for both) then that means the PS4 is being undertilized,

Need for Speed Rivals is the same thing. I think this is going to happen often (1080p 30fps on both consoles and thus the PS4 being underutilized).

Harlequin

I think the problem isn't so much that the game is 30 fps, or that it still can't match the PC in certain critical areas, but rather that they spent a year overhauling the game only to add some minor graphical enhancements instead of, for instance, adding some substantial new content like real tombs with real puzzles or refactoring some of the core gameplay to address some of the universal complaints with the game.

I'm glad they didn't TBH. That would've required more people rom Crystal to work on it which would've meant less people working on the sequel. I'd rather they just do it right in the sequel than try and fix it in the DE.

delta25

Banned
Clinging to 60 fps like flies on shit.

I get it, the higher the better, but my god some of you are treating this as the be all and end all in regards to the definitive edition. Get over yourselves and move the fuck on so the rest of us can enjoy the experiences.
And stop with the pricing bullshit, if you don't like it, don't buy it, it's as easy as that, and don't pretend like its doing anyone any favors in regards to a decision in buying it.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
PS2 gen had much more 60fps titles.

If you had an Xbox. And that was only because PS2 was lead platform for everything, and Xbox was such a money-losing beast.

Remember the good old days when people went to the store, bought a game, brought it home and played it?

It's a console. It is what it is. If you're so picky about the technical details and have special needs that just have to be met with regard to frame rate, resolution, IQ etc. - then, "we have a system for you, it's called a PC."

Tweak to your heart's content. Make your own decisions in the IQ vs. frame rate debate and make the game look and perform exactly how you'd like it. Maybe then you can do us all a favor and stop shitting all over every console game that doesn't meet your lofty standards.

/End angry old man rant...

I left console gaming in 2012 because of the lack of 60fps. There are console gamers who actually care about visuals and gameplay that comes with 60fps.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
The jump in power between PS3 and PS4 should allow the game to go to 1080p@60fps.

I'm guessing TressFX was seen as more important than 60fps. That's the only thing I can think about.

This game shouldn't be worth more than $40 anyways.

I have spoken.

rjc571

Banned
If you had an Xbox. And that was only because PS2 was lead platform for everything, and Xbox was such a money-losing beast.

No, if you had a PS2. The majority of the PS2's biggest titles were 60 fps. The Xbox had very few 60 fps games.

delta25

Banned
I don't see how our opinions stop you from enjoying the game.

But its the same thing every time, 60fps and 60 dollars like a broken freaking record. I mean, some of you are going as far as dissecting the shit out of the definitive version to further find justifications as why the PC version is better to the point of making some bold claim on the lack of strands of hair for the definitive version of tress FX compared to the PC version. When looking at it from a non bias view, it would seem as if both version will feature visual enhancements that one will have over the other, whatever feature you may find is more important is purely subjective and depends sorely on preference.

UnrealEck

Well I figure if they can lock it at 30 and it doesn't dip on the PS4, that means that it can go higher, the question is are they locking it for parity or will there be less effects on the XBONE version to get it to parity on the framerate and resolution scale?

You can't set a minimum frame rate. "1080p and 30FPS" means 1080p resolution and up to 30 FPS. For all we know the game might dip to 25 FPS or less when you're looking over a large village area or something.

Top Bottom