• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (Xbox One / PlayStation 4) - Jan 28 2014

ShowDog

I quite enjoyed the $15 PC version at 1080p with TressFX, even at 30fps on my aging machine. Visually it's a fantastic game.

calder

Good timing on their part assuming that they aren't crazy with the price. There aren't any retail titles scheduled for January on the PS4 and Xbox One, so they're free to take advantage of that.

I'm thinking the same thing. In fact the other day I debated making a thread wondering about basically this - how I bet the very solid PS4/XBO sales this early combined with the thin launch titles the first few months has a bunch of publishers regretting not having some next-gen games ready to go in December and January.

I'll be double dipping on this for sure. I played it on PC already, thought it was a great looking and reasonably fun game (dragged a bit for me, and a few of the sections were almost Shadowfall-esque in their annoyance compared to the stuff that worked).

Gaz_RB

If you didn't mess with TressFX, this was one of the best optimized PC games I've played in a while. I'll probably pick it up on PS4 just so I'll have something to play on it during the drought.

sekrit

Banned
If you didn't mess with TressFX, this was one of the best optimized PC games I've played in a while. I'll probably pick it up on PS4 just so I'll have something to play on it during the drought.

Nixxes wizards at work there. Love those guys.

Respawn

Banned
So glad I held off on playing Tomb Raider. Will get this when I pick up a system next year :D

Well I bought and enjoyed the hell out of it. Will pick it up for round 2 on PS4. Best Tomb Raider since 2.

and done
Ofpv5Z9.jpg

calder

It ran very well on (I believe) more or less max settings on my PC. I didn't even bother thinking about TressFX though, not with a 7770 card heh. Honestly I didn't feel like I missed much, a lot of the gifs from the time looked a bit off with Tress FX enabled, you could certainly see the difference but it occasionally looked distractingly not quite right. To say nothing of the way it seemed pretty twitchy at a significant performance hit for a lot of ppl in the threads at the time.

EDIT: TLoU and GTA5 ports would be perfection. I frankly assume GTA will happen at some point, but TLoU is a long shot I think. Not sure why, but I believe ND a bit more when they talk about how they've moved on.

zedge

Nice. This game was a big surprise for me. Absolutely loved every min of it. One of my most enjoyed games this year.

Might rebuy for PS4 if they add some new content.

Curious to see what new content there is, if any, and the asking price.

Surely this will be testing the waters a bit. Its not exactly a HD re-release and its going to be compared against cross-gen releases with the $10 upgrades.

Going to guess $60 by their use of the word "Definitive" though.

todd360

If I had played ps3 version instead of pc version I might have double dipped. I already got to play it at max graphics.

Crisium

I'm fine with this. I played it on PC nearly maxed out, but I was disappointing in the console versions looking so poor. Now the console games get those PC graphics on one of the best games of 2013. I think they should do this with Bioshock Infinite too.

720->1080 is as much as an improvement of 480->720, plus is actually will have higher graphic settings. It's more of an improvement than RE4 HD (as much as I love this game, Capcom did a lazy port).

I'll double-dip for it. Loved it on the PC, will enjoy a comfy couch play through. Just don't charge the full $60 considering you've been selling the current version for $9.99 on Steam and $14.99 for consoles.

Edit: $59.99? I will definitively wait for a lower price.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I'm fine with this. I played it on PC nearly maxed out, but I was disappointing in the console versions looking so poor. Now the console games get those PC graphics on one of the best games of 2013. I think they should do this with Bioshock Infinite too.

I wonder if those that dislike the game will be less harsh after seeing it in with graphics?

weevles

Damn I just got PC version. I like the game but triple dipping is a bit much. Will wait for reviews and low price.

Ocaso

Can't really see anything wrong with an upgraded version of a great game, but I already played through it on PS3. If they do a $10 upgrade offer then maybe I'll bite.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
TressFX on consoles confirmed? Otherwise, it's not definitive

Not only TessFX hair look awful (like snakes fighting on mass murderer Lara's head) and completely non realistic it also hurt the performance on PC even with AMD own GPUs.

Alice 2 hair was better and it don't don't hurt the performance. TressFX is just pure fail from both AMD and CD.

I just finished this on the PC. It was a very well-made rollercoaster with a lot of creepy violent shit in it that made me uncomfortable. I would give it 6/10, maybe 7.

Played this on PC already but I'm actually curious if the hair thing works on consoles, TressFx, or whatever. Whenever I turned it on I got like 15-20fps. Hair physics should be the true test of this gen's power.

goonergaz

It was enjoyable but I found towards the end I was getting too saturated by the crap story so as much as I'd love to see this in nextgen-o-vision I'll just wait for the sequel

Played it on 360 and thought it was good but I won't be double dipping. I'll just wait for the sequel to raid tombs. Hopefully there will be a lot more in the sequel

I will be buying this again. I probably like this game more than most. I had such a great time from beginning to end. The only issue I had with it was the horrible multiplayer that had no buisness being in the game.

AAK

Wasn't that whole TressFX thing exclusive to Nvidia graphics cards only? I thought next gen consoles use AMD.

Now the Multiplatform comparison will be very interesting on this game. Both the PS4 and XBone will more then likely getting a port of the PC version. So I'm very curious to see how they both will preform.

I'm predicting :

XBone version : High PC settings, 900p, 30FPS ( No TresFX)
PS4 version: High PC settings 1080p 30FPS Tress FX enabled.(Only if they utilize PS4's compute none if they don't)

Both will be priced at $39.99

I'm fine with this. I played it on PC nearly maxed out, but I was disappointing in the console versions looking so poor. Now the console games get those PC graphics on one of the best games of 2013. I think they should do this with Bioshock Infinite too..

Yeah, I wouldn't mind some games from last gen recompiled and rereleased. TLOU is an obvious example. Bioshock. GTA V will definitely happen.

Even the older Red Dead Redemption would be nice considering they never released a PC version.

ascii42

Now the Multiplatform comparison will be very interesting on this game. Both the PS4 and XBone will more then likely getting a port of the PC version. So I'm very curious to see how they both will preform.

I'm predicting :

XBone version : High PC settings, 900p, 30FPS ( No TresFX)
PS4 version: High PC settings 1080p 30FPS Tress FX enabled.(Only if they utilize PS4's compute none if they don't)

Both will be priced at $39.99
It would be weird if one version had TressFX and the other didn't, but I guess it's possible.

TressFX looks worse than the default hair anyway IMO. I'll be happy with 1080p/30 fps and max PC graphics for this title.

GET OUT.

Not only TessFX hair look awful (like snakes fighting on mass murderer Lara's head) and completely non realistic it also hurt the performance on PC even with AMD own GPUs.

You guys are exaggerating greatly. The hair might spazz a little in cutscenes where strong winds are blowing, but otherwise during normal gameplay it looks great and amazing and fabulous.

Top Bottom