• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera |OT| What Can Change The Nature of a Man?

I can confirm that right from the beginning there are significant performance issues on PS4. The visuals are poor and the framerate is struggling.

On the other hand, the writing is good.

Mudcrab

Having real trouble getting in to my Inxile account. I registered back in November 2013 but I can't remember what password I used. So I try to reset it and it tells me there's no account registered to my email address despite the fact that the emails for account registration are in fact in my inbox along with all my kickstarter updates.

Super frustrating considering I'm off work tomorrow and I'd like to play this. Anyone have any experience with Inxile support?

jtb

Banned
If Unity is so fucking terrible, then these throwback RPG developers need to stop using it. Performance issues are inexcusable for a game like this.

Thanks for the new Torment game, I guess, but InXile seems out of their depth.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=17166#p181399

Lix from InXile forums writes:

"play4 gives 72/100.

Review is German and on paper:

Pro:

- Good Story, nearly as good as Witcher 3

Con:

- awful performance on PS4 Pro
- bad graphics even when compared to other "revival" Games; terrible character animations and poses, sterile atmosphere
- character and combat system are serviceable, but no more than that
- main story is predetermined and quest solutions are "nothing new" (reviewer warns not to believe "marketing speak" here)
- stats are badly balanced, too much power given to Intelligence chars

They confirm that there are no difficulty levels for combat.

Summary: "More of a book than a game - but a very good book." "

https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=17167&start=20#p181376

Grimskarson from InXile forums who beat the game adds:

"no sign of Oasis/Jerboa in the game..."

No world map, can't return to zones once you've left them.

I don't like how this sounds.

Mivey

By their initial pitch, time is a very important aspect of the writing. In fact you advance the game by resting. The way they talked about is they are not interested in you simply missing anything, but there is a consequence. Certain quests might only be possible if you missed some others, and stuff like that.
It could also be that returning to an area would make no sense the way they set up the story.

jtb

Banned
this is a game that will live or die by its writing and all "almost as good as W3" tells me is that i should disregard their opinion outright.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
What's the difference between what I just redeemed on Steam and whats being "released" tomorrow?

EDIT: All of the content basically, got it

I can confirm that right from the beginning there are significant performance issues on PS4. The visuals are poor and the framerate is struggling.

If Unity is so fucking terrible, then these throwback RPG developers need to stop using it. Performance issues are inexcusable for a game like this.

Thanks for the new Torment game, I guess, but InXile seems out of their depth.

Rip.

The Wart

Hmm in what sense are the visuals poor? From screens and trailers I thought the prerendered backgrounds looked really good. Or did you just mean technically unimpressive, considering the performance?

Did you not play Planescape Torment? This is exactly how that game worked. You had a hub to play around in for a chapter of the story, and when you moved on from that chapter you could never go back again. This isn't an open-world exploration game.

Eusis

Ah hahaha, I never even got that far in Planescape.

But I don't mind as long as there's justification for it, and this game had that as a premise from the Kickstarter campaign itself.

Neverfade

I backed this forever ago and just remembered.

I see a Steam key, but there's no way to get a console copy?

Edit: I see I'm too late. And I'd have to pay an additional 18 bucks. Fuck that.

The Wart

Did you not play Planescape Torment? This is exactly how that game worked. You had a hub to play around in for a chapter of the story, and when you moved on from that chapter you could never go back again. This isn't an open-world exploration game.

Er, mostly untrue? You could return to any location in Sigil throughout the game. Curst was the only hub you couldn't return to.

And god why would anyone want to go back to Curst

Theodran

Has the day one patch been released yet? I purchased the Kickstarter Collector's Edition ($275 tier) but since my PC is shit I also purchased the PS4 version, to play on my PS Pro, thinking it would run better.

If you are playing with the day one patch, I guess I can either choose between running it at shit speeds on my PC or on my PS4...

Eusis

I backed this forever ago and just remembered.

I see a Steam key, but there's no way to get a console copy?

Edit: I see I'm too late. And I'd have to pay an additional 18 bucks. Fuck that.
There weren't enough people signed up to go through with that plan anyway.

And man, I really wish they just went with a 9 PM PST unlock. I'd have SOME time to play it or at least download it, but instead I have to wait until tomorrow anyway.

The Wart

Technically yes, but as far as I remember it, Sigil had changed dramatically every time you returned to it.

How so? I played it less than a year ago and I don't remember it changing much at all. New quests unlock but that's about it. Visually certainly it doesn't change.

Menome

giphy.gif

Burt

The fucking second I go to retrieve my key, the servers go down.

I didn't even know the game was about to be live.

Woe est meh.

Noaloha

Spoilers for the opening scene.
And, I died! A hard 'Game Over' after 90 seconds of playtime. Wasn't sure it would go there; glad that it did.
Promising start! Scored a big grin from me.

DirtyCase

I backed this Kickstarter at the $20 tier and downloaded the beta today thinking it was the final release. I'm a few hours into it and have yet to report and technical issues.

The game looks beautiful for a CRPG and I have had a consistent fps and zero graphics glitches.

I'm currently downloading the final release patch.

I'm loving the setting so far.

Top Bottom