• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera |OT| What Can Change The Nature of a Man?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Damn this is going to be a long day at work

I've only just ordered it (pay day!).

tumblr_m1d04gSdFP1qdgu3p.gif

Sarek

Torment: Tides of Numenera is more than a nostalgic homage to Planescape: Torment – its own innovations will mark the genre as much as its spiritual predecessor did.
That is extremely high praise.

Mr. Tibbs

IGN loved it.

The turn-based combat may be a little disappointing, but Torment: Tides of Numenera manages to live up to the legacy of Planescape: Torment by offering a fascinatingly weird and well-written tale. Thanks to a wide variety of options in conversations and the influences of its tidal system, it offers decent opportunities for replay value and a memorable tale each time. This is the rare game that leans almost entirely on its setting and writing for its appeal, and the miraculous thing is that it usually succeeds.

As did PC Gamer.

Despite these issues, I'm impressed by Tides of Numenera both as a follow-up to a beloved RPG and as the digital debut of a fascinating setting. I've deliberately avoided specifics in this review, but I'm confident that if you've got a part of your brain dedicated to clever sci-fi story prompts you'll find a lot to love here. There's no escaping that Torment is a strange beast—it's a game for readers, an adventure for people who don't necessarily want to fight—but it's great to have it back.

PC GamesN:
The '90s have nothing on this. Torment: Tides of Numenera might have been fuelled by nostalgia but outstrips its contemporary peers in reactivity, writing and invention.

Eurogamer:

Like its predecessor, Numenera may not have invented its world, but it makes it one you'll want to spend time in. Where other RPGs are still content with a dragon or some apocalyptic end of the world boom, here the stakes are personal, as well as both asking and inviting far more interesting questions than how much fire you can fling from your fingertips. It's a far more welcoming game than the original Torment, though a slower burner as far as the main plot goes, and one that never quite has its predecessor's dark confidence. It is, however, as close as we've had in the last 15 or so years, and certainly doesn't invoke the name in vain.

PC World:
And yet I'm awarding Tides of Numenera top marks. Why? Because for all its failings, I can't think of a single RPG in the last decade that so consistently surprised and delighted me. Even the non-quests, the smallest characters and the briefest interactions, possess a creative spark that is all too rare in this industry and genre. There's an incredible life to Numenera and its occupants, even if on a strict mechanical level the world is less reactive than Divinity: Original Sin or Pillars of Eternity. Like Planescape before it, Tides of Numenera is less a ”game" at times and more an exploration of a world, its culture and niche subcultures, its people and their myriad viewpoints.

The industry needs more of this. Video games can be anything. They can do anything. It's a shame that so often we find ourselves retreading the same narrow band—and worth celebrating when a game like Torment: Tides of Numenera undercuts all those expectations.

TechRaptor loved it:

Amazing writing, an interesting yet gritty world to explore and a charming set of characters. All this, united with the unique set of mechanics, make Torment: Tides of Numenera a must play for most RPG fans, whether or not they've played Planescape: Torment.

8.5/10

I don't know what the fuck is wrong with this but I have huge performance issues. I checked an my laptop is using my dedicated card but I got like 24 fps when the first dialog box opens. Anyone had issues like that ?

Videogamer.com:

Great writing and environment design, combined with an epic story and wide range of player choice, make Tides of Numenera a wonderful RPG. The reliance on text won't be for everyone, but fans of the genre are going to love it.

8/10.

Freeman76

They should do seperate scores for games like this. On PC its great, on PS4 it runs poorly, yet lots of eager gamers will buy it on console on the strength of the PC reviews.

BeeDog

Impressions seem to point towards technically disappointing console versions. But for anyone that has tried the PS4 version, just how bad is it? Any article that details what kind of hiccups/stutters/etc. that plague the game?

They should do seperate scores for games like this. On PC its great, on PS4 it runs poorly, yet lots of eager gamers will buy it on console on the strength of the PC reviews.
The target audience for this game does not play on consoles. I'm not even sure why there's a console version

jb1234

The PC World review seems disappointed with the development of the companions, which is concerning to me. On the other hand, other reviewers seem fine with the character development. Who knows? Virtually everyone agrees that the writing for the story is very strong.

Problem is, this comes out right smack in the middle of other games that I'm working on so I don't know when I'll be able to get around to it.

Corpekata

Banned
Digging it so far. I didn't pay much attention to pre-release stuff because I knew I was interested already. Really liking the world they've got setup so far.

Menome

Have had enough time this morning to adventure out of the initial starting area and to the main hub area.

There's been some definite changes to character-creation in terms of skill bonuses/detriments to balance things out. Originally, I could get the 'Charming' modifier with no real penalty and gain +1 Deception and Persuasion. Now, it confers a -1 to Intellect and -15% of your remaining Intellect after that, taking me down from 10 to 7 points in my pool.

So I'm quite glad I waited for the full release rather than have had that applied retroactively.

Corpekata

Banned
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/02/28/torment-tides-of-numenera-review/

Nevertheless, enough of its ideas and characters coalesce into unusual brilliance to survive this sometimes flabby quality. This a both a worthy successor to 1999's beloved Planescape: Torment and a smart, reactive and singular RPG in its own right.

RPS seems to like it, though suggests it gets a little wordy (not a surprise) and self involved

They also have a neat review linked where they've got a review for newbies, people that played Planescape, a retrospective on planescape, and a quick summary for those that are spoilerphobic.

dreamstation

Gold Member
Reviews seem really positive which is great. Did they have anything to say about the performance issues that are affecting the PS4 (console) version?

I actually completely forgot I pledged for a physical copy of this game, so that was a neat surprise when I redeemed my Steam key.

Glad they nailed the important aspects of the game. Seems like while it may not be as good as Planescape (and honestly, I doubt anything will be), it's a worthy sequel.

Staf

God damnit those are som nice reviews. Can't decide whether to prioritize this or Horizon. My two most anticipated games of 2017 dropped on the same day. That's cruel.

EVOL 100%

Okay, I'm in.

I'm skeptical of the claims of the writing being as good as Planescape, because holy shit the writing in that game is on a whole different level - but if the writing is half as good as the reviews are claiming, I can tell that I'm going to enjoy this.

Corpekata

Banned
Reviews seem really positive which is great. Did they have anything to say about the performance issues that are affecting the PS4 (console) version?

Most of the reviews besides IGN appear to have tested the PC version (not a surprise given the PC sites linked and the history of the series/genre).

Primus

Started up the game with my Observant Nano (for real this time, not the seven earlier short peeks during beta). Have already died twice, the first time 'cause I kept touching something I had been told I shouldn't touch (guess Callistege was right), and once in the first combat after unluckily getting critted twice in a row. Eh, it happens.

Friend who started playing at the same time I did went Sneaky Jack, and was able to Deception his way past the first combat.

Very very happy so far.

B_Signal

Impressions seem to point towards technically disappointing console versions. But for anyone that has tried the PS4 version, just how bad is it? Any article that details what kind of hiccups/stutters/etc. that plague the game?

I did a video for the PS4 version, captured from the Pro. You can see the stuttering on that, the framerate less so, because it's being captured from the PS4 so it's reduced anyway.

http://bitparade.co.uk/article.php?id=4222

It's not unplayable by any means, and there's virtually no difference between the Pro version and the standard PS4 (in terms of performance, it's a higher resolution). The loading times are more of an issue if I'm honest

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Initial impressions from the first hour are *very* good. Fascinating world, a very cool hook to get the story moving and is already better written then anything I've played since Mask of the Betrayer.

Also when you first enter the city/town and the music plays a few notes from the PST score the hairs on the back of my neck stood up.

Yes sir. I like it.

EDIT: On the technical side (PC version) everything has been smooth sailing so far. I've learned from the other Obsidian tech games to disable G-Sync ahead of time and I was getting 90 - 144 fps at all times. Conversely both Pillars and Tyranny would often run in the 30 - 50 range.

Menome

A quick quest-tip that can make the early part of the game a little easier:

Help the Cult fix the clock. Doing so gains you a free place to rest up.

jrcbandit

Started the game but I am always so indecisive on character creation. Any suggestions for a good Nano build that talks her way out of a situation? Put all points into intelligence or put a point in speed? I initially selected resourceful, read thoughts, and the charming trait but that might be too big of trade off with -1 int and -15% willpower. Should I select Lore that my companions wont have or will I be able to trade out my companions for meat shields, etc? I also have no idea what pointing at a specific figure in mirror exactly does other than add another descriptor to the character.

I accidentally saved over the save I had before character creation, now I'll have to go through it again if I decide on changes, grr..

Staf

I did a video for the PS4 version, captured from the Pro. You can see the stuttering on that, the framerate less so, because it's being captured from the PS4 so it's reduced anyway.

http://bitparade.co.uk/article.php?id=4222

It's not unplayable by any means, and there's virtually no difference between the Pro version and the standard PS4. The loading times are more of an issue if I'm honest

Shame. But if i survived the loading times on XCOM 2 on PS4 i'll survive this.

Menome

Started the game but I am always so indecisive on character creation. Any suggestions for a good Nano build that talks her way out of a situation? Put all points into intelligence or put a point in speed? I initially selected resourceful, read thoughts, and the charming trait but that might be too big of trade off with -1 int and -15% willpower. Should I select Lore that my companions wont have or will I be able to trade out my companions for meat shields, etc? I also have no idea what pointing at a specific figure in mirror exactly does other than add another descriptor to the character.

I accidentally saved over the save I had before character creation, now I'll have to go through it again if I decide on changes, grr..

I went with 'Clever' as it gives a boost to Intelligence and gives you Deception. You can always pick up Persuasion later on as you level up.

Also, I stuck a point in Speed to bring it up to 6. Means I can use two points in three different scenarios.

Massicot

Surprised to hear that the console ports are marred with technical issues. I had no issues with the pc version at all, except I guess that you don't really have many settings to work with.

I reviewed for RPGsite. I loved the writing and characters but disliked the combat. Luckily the game is not combat focused and gives you plenty of tools to avoid it.

Also it's a little short. I got to max level ( so I did all of the quests I could find) and it took me about 25 hours.

Top Bottom