• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toukiden (Vita/PSP by Omega Force) site opens + screenshots!

Razlo

How much content is in the demo? Post some screenshots!

The spider boss in the images in this thread is the main boss of the missions. I think there are 4 missions, 3 of which are low level mob kills & the last is the spider boss.

The weapons in it are: bow, sword, chained blade & gauntlets.

It has ad-hoc, but if it had online play, I missed it.

I couldn't totally figure out all of the mechanics as I don't know Japanese, but you have 4 Magics based on support character & a good number of weapon moves.

You cut off & absorb limbs & I went into a spirit looking mode that showed me weak parts at one point.

Really cool stuff & I'm sure we'll get it given the publisher.

ZeroAKA

Does the actual game look as good on the Vita screen as the screenshots make it out to be? Native res like Dynasty Warriors Next?

cyborg009

Banned
Does the actual game look as good on the Vita screen as the screenshots make it out to be? Native res like Dynasty Warriors Next?

IQ is really nice.

52QY2Sp.jpg
2dmDTsU.jpg

QUKKkJB.jpg
KCOiIPF.jpg

XLXv19X.jpg
iiMIyrQ.jpg

6PbIHxg.jpg
WJ9tMGe.jpg

dB1Bdfd.jpg
KSCxnWZ.jpg

Redhood

What is the game like? dragon age[huge areas to explore with monsters to kill]? Monster Hunter[small separated areas with filler monster followed by one big monster]? Soul Sacrifice[small arenas with main monster only]?

and that games looks real good! Is the second last screen of an fmv?

I can hear Toto now. Luckily the name can't be twisted into a pun this time.

Surprisingly those screen caps hold up well even with the compression and the blown up size.

WORLDTree

From the previews, it looks like attacking the boss will eventually cause you to slice off a limb depending on the area you're hitting after of which the boss is stunned and the limb remains on the field which you can absorb for some kind of bonus/progression presumably.

Razlo

What is the game like? dragon age[huge areas to explore with monsters to kill]? Monster Hunter[small separated areas with filler monster followed by one big monster]? Soul Sacrifice[small arenas with main monster only]?

It's small separated areas like Monster Hunter.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Looks fantastic. Really wish Sony would shove a little more into Soul Sacrifice for a native resolution patch.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Really is a fantastic game and by far its better than Soul Sacrifice that just felt half baked.
*So far judging by the demo.

Had the full ver of Soul Sacrifice decent story horrible gameplay. Sold it.

Will most def pick this up at launch

Dinda

Oh, had no idea this is out already! Downloading now.

Oh, and what's up with the ratings? Is there some serious bug in the Demo? It has already over 1000 votes and a rating from something like 3.6. That's awful for psn standards.

ZeroAKA

Oh, and what's up with the ratings? Is there some serious bug in the Demo? It has already over 1000 votes and a rating from something like 3.6. That's awful for psn standards.
I haven't played the demo myself yet, but the combat looks slow and clunky from the gameplay video.

Razlo

I watched about 10 minutes of gameplay footage, and it seems to be a mediocre MH clone. The concepts in Soul Sacrifice are much more appealing to me.

Well I PLAYED the demo for both, & Soul Sacrifice is much more shallow. But if you're more interested in setting/story over gameplay it's possible you'll prefer Soul Sacrifice.

ZeroAKA

Well I PLAYED the demo for both, & Soul Sacrifice is much more shallow. But if you're more interested in setting/story over gameplay it's possible you'll prefer Soul Sacrifice.
I found the save/sacrifice system along with the magic-based gameplay to be a nice change from the typical hunting games, so I hoped that Toukiden would also introduce interesting new concepts. I never liked the MH games...

Kyoufu

I posted my impressions in the other thread, but this demo is absolutely awful.

The music is shit, the boss you fight is shit. I was so bored fighting that spider. The combat is clunky and nowhere near as good as MH or SS. How can anyone say Soul Sacrifice is shallow? Inafune actually made a game that is different enough from MH but still remains fun.

This game is neither.

Razlo

I found the save/sacrifice system along with the magic-based gameplay to be a nice change from the typical hunting games, so I hoped that Toukiden would also introduce interesting new concepts. I never liked the MH games...

Did you play Soul Sacrifice, or are you just looking at info about it?

It's possible given that you don't like MH, you'll like Soul Sacrifice. For me, just having arena battle after arena battle is less interesting than having a map to explore. I also dislike the lack of moment to moment gameplay options in Soul Sacrifice.

To each their own though, I do know a bunch of people dig Soul Sacrifice.

ZeroAKA

Did you play Soul Sacrifice, or are you just looking at info about it?

It's possible given that you don't like MH, you'll like Soul Sacrifice. For me, just having arena battle after arena battle is less interesting than having a map to explore. I also dislike the lack of moment to moment gameplay options in Soul Sacrifice.

To each their own though, I do know a bunch of people dig Soul Sacrifice.
I've played Soul Sacrifice (demo), Ragnarok Odyssey, Gods Eater, and MH, and I've enjoyed all of them except for MH. >.>

I'll give this demo a try myself sometime this week though. I could end up liking it, I guess.

Razlo

I've played Soul Sacrifice (demo), Ragnarok Odyssey, Gods Eater, and MH, and I've enjoyed every one of them except for MH. >.>

I suggest you put more time into MH with some pros to help you get acclimated, it's easily better than any clone, & I think with enough time you'd learn to like it.

Kyoufu

I've played Soul Sacrifice (demo), Ragnarok Odyssey, Gods Eater, and MH, and I've enjoyed all of them except for MH. >.>

I'll give this demo a try myself sometime this week though. I could end up liking it, I guess.

I don't think you will. It's even slower than MH. Only 4 weapons in the demo, 2 of which aren' as fun as MH versions or fun at all.

Mondriaan

I don't think you will. It's even slower than MH. Only 4 weapons in the demo, 2 of which aren' as fun as MH versions or fun at all.

You hated Soul Sacrifice before you loved it, so how can we know you're sure where you stand on Toukiden?

Just saying. I want to download the demo at some point this week.

Dear god this is absolutely awful. It feels cheap, it looks cheap, the music (sigh) is terrible, and there's very little here that feels like it's trying to be different in MH.

Ugh a complete disappointment.

Going to need to play the demo some more to see where I stand.
This feels extraordinarily imitative of MonHun but sort of falls short in several key categories (most notably to me, were the music, and pace of combat). With GE2 coming soon, I don't know if this will make the cut.

Kyoufu

You hated Soul Sacrifice before you loved it, so how can we know you're sure where you stand on Toukiden?

SS is a completely different experience. It does things much differently than MH. After coming off of hundreds of hours playing MH3U on Wii U, it took a few hours for me to understand Soul Sacrifice.

Whereas, Toukiden feels like a half-baked copy/paste of MH from map design, UI and weapons, but with no production values.

Maybe the full game is a lot better with friends but the combat and boss in the demo makes me not want to find out.

Dinda

I liked it. even though the demo is far from perfect.
It was far to easy, even the boss battle was unbelievable easy.
I also hope there will be a bit more color in the final game, the setting should allow for that.

LMN

Tried the demo, I personally like it. The boss battle is not too hard too easy (especially the big red Oni), there also multiple boss fight. In my opinion, I believed this game have some potential, just need some more polish.

Dinda

Didn't realise there is another boss battle. (i diidn't finish the 100 things mission earlier)

Unlike God Eater and Soul Sacrifice this seems to be a "real" monster hunter clone. And to be honest, i don't think thats a bad thing. I hope they also copy MH in terms of armor crafting and stuff. This seems to be missing from almost all other clones.

crinale

It'll be like this..

If you like MH or same genre then...

1. If you prefer MH over GE then you may like this game, or
2. if it's vice versa then SS fits much better to you.

LMN

Didn't realise there is another boss battle. (i diidn't finish the 100 things mission earlier)

Yep, I believe there is a total of 6 - 7 missions in the demo. If you finish the kill 100 small oni mission, it will unlock the big red oni boss mission.

I suggest you put more time into MH with some pros to help you get acclimated, it's easily better than any clone, & I think with enough time you'd learn to like it.

Believe it or not there are people that have put time into MH and think the "clones" are better.

Razlo

Believe it or not there are people that have put time into MH and think the "clones" are better.

Weird.

MH has a whole eco-system (which I've not seen in any of the clones) and logic to the world, as well as being incredibly deep. Most MH clones have very little going on in the environment and aren't that deep.

But it is surprising that someone would like all the clones and hate their inspiration. One or two of the clones I could see, but all seems odd.

ZeroAKA

Weird.

MH has a whole eco-system (which I've not seen in any of the clones) and logic to the world, as well as being incredibly deep. Most MH clones have very little going on in the environment and aren't that deep.

But it is surprising that someone would like all the clones and hate their inspiration. One or two of the clones I could see, but all seems odd.
I don't understand what you mean by only MH having a cohesive environment, but all of the MH "clones" I've played are different enough from MH and each other that each feels (and plays) like a unique take on the hunting genre.

Weird.

Well thats it really. There inspirition seems more like it has come from PSO than MH. RO definitely so. GeB a balance of the 2.

This looks closer to MH though.

There are things I love and hate about MH. The eco system is really just a bunch of monsters that are no threat but are a pain when fighting a boss. Just something to kill before you get back to the big monster. Its gathering stuff is good though but only because you also have the farm so that you dont have to to gathering toooo much.

However monster hunter is a very slow game. Its "clones" tend to be much faster (both pacing and combat wise). This is a big thing and makes the games feel very different. I can understand people preferring either to be honest.

The thing that makes MH seem really slow as a game is that it basically goes like this.

• look at missions.
• Find out monster to kill
• Google monster to know its weakness because the game sure as shit isn't going to tell you
• Choose appropriate weapon
• Learn patterns and when to attack and prob kill it in about 40 mins (failing that equip hammer + hit head)
• If run out of time get a better weapon.

If you need a better weapon / armour this tends to involve going and killing the same monster over and over again.

This whole process can lead to taking several hours to do one new mission. For some people this is several days.

Again I can understand people who love this but a lot of the clones don't require this at all.

RO - you work your way throughout the missions. Grinding the same bosses only really happens at the end of the game when you are trying to collect cards / better weapons.

GeB - I didnt have to grind hardly anything at all (a few things but mainly to find the odd item). Its item combine system minimized that. Still gave me 75 hours.

How this game does it I don't know. If it has gameplay closer to MH without the need to grind the same monster over and over and over then I would consider that a good thing and an improvement over the MH series.

But I know very little apart from that this games combat seems closer to MH than GeB / RO and that its environment is in sections like MH and RO.

Razlo

I definitely get your negatives, even though I've gotten to appreciate them over time and I do like that the clones are more fast paced (if for nothing other than to differentiate themselves). But I do wish they felt more like a living world. Even just one of them.

Ragnarok Odyssey is the closest that I've seen so far.

I definitely get your negatives, even though I've gotten to appreciate them over time and I do like that the clones are more fast paced (if for nothing other than to differentiate themselves). But I do wish they felt more like a living world. Even just one of them.

Ragnarok Odyssey is the closest that I've seen so far.

What I would like to see is world maps without split up zones. GeB had only one zone and it wasn't that big really but it was a damn site better than the annoying split zone things. Its an issue I have with all games that do it.

MH combat I can live with (I do prefer faster combat but what ever). Get rid of the massive grind (maybe make armours need less bits but from different monsters) and have nice zones without split loading and I could be down with that. And for gods sake make online standard on portables lol.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
After playing MH3rd/3G for a few hours, clearing Ragnarok Odyssey and Lord of Apocalypse + getting a platinum trophy in Soul Sacrifice, I have to say that this demo is a big disappointment.
Character models look clean, but the whole thing is really bland - resolution isn't everything it seems. Stages are boring and the gameplay itself isn't that entertaining as well.

Atolm

Native res is nothing, if the art direction is bland. Yeah, some of the monsters look cool, but that's not enough, at least not for me.

I can't stand non-native res games. It was almost physically painful to play both Gravity Rush and Uncharted GA, and I'll have to do a true sacrifice (heh) to be able to endure Soul Sacrifice with that crappy IQ.

cyborg009

Banned
Ok so played this a bit more today since yesterday I downloaded the game and was posting the pictures at 1am. Game has a lot of glaring flaws, The demo was released way too early. The framerate is a big issue and really made turn off the game. The game plays almost as slowly as Monster Hunter so when the framerate dips it so painfully to play. The framerate dips usually when fighting a bunch of monster, casting spells, and using the archer class. And another big issue I was the spider boss fight wasn't fun to fight.

Well the good thing is the game does look really nice makes me wonder how ugly the PSP version will be. And the chain and sword was pretty nice weapon and that's it.

Music isn't special.

Anyways this was a beta right?

Top Bottom