• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.

iammeiam

Why would you do this job if you're not a true believer?

She has tanked her credibility in this gig. Though she is fascinatingly good at communicating utter bullshit.

I assume she got into it for a combination of money, prestige, and party over country and it's far, far too late to turn back now. She goes down with the ship because the things she's said to get here mean nobody else will take her.

Being brought in to help presidentify the GOP nominee would have made sense from the perspective of being invested in seeing conservatives in control. It probably meant a ton to her polling firm. Her willingness to play exactly the kind of female Trump likes would give her some level of influence. She ultimately goes down in history as the first female to lead a successful presidential campaign, something she's tried to cite a couple of times for feminist credit only to be reminded that her candidate was a trash fire.

This far into things, her only choices are stick with Trump or fade into obscurity. Any sort of credibility she had in the political sphere has to be gone after the things she's said, so her only hope going forward is to try and keep the Trump admin going.

NandoGip

Yeah im pretty sure thats the perspective of the democrats perspective of the republicans, not the actual perspective of the republicans. They dont believe themselves to be lying corrupt and greedy, nor blindly supporting Trump.

Repubilcan perspective (hard to parse because there are like 4 factions of republican) is more like this:

1. Trump is innocent
2. Russia collusion is fake news made up by democrats
3. Liberals are stupid and believe anything they read on the internet
4. Trump knows what he's doing, and is successful in what he does
5. "I'm not racist, I just have extremely prejudiced beliefs about categories of people based on their color and religion.", "Only the second amendment is important and peoples lives should be honored and protected as long as theyre fetuses in the womb but as soon as theyre born they need to pick themselves up by their boot straps and stop leeching off society", etc.

I'm talking about the politicians, not your average person. Regarding your on-the-street republican, I agree with you.

ArjanN

Yeah im pretty sure thats the perspective of the democrats perspective of the republicans, not the actual perspective of the republicans. They dont believe themselves to be lying corrupt and greedy, nor blindly supporting Trump.

Repubilcan perspective (hard to parse because there are like 4 factions of republican) is more like this:

1. Trump is innocent
5. "I'm not racist, I just have extremely prejudiced beliefs about categories of people based on their color and religion.", "Only the second amendment is important and peoples lives should be honored and protected as long as theyre fetuses in the womb but as soon as theyre born they need to pick themselves up by their boot straps and stop leeching off society", etc.

All of those sound more like your average chump off the street. I'm sure pretty much all the republicans with any political power fall into the 'fuck you, got mine' camp.

Trump's not fleeing the country, c'mon. Nor is he getting perp walked by the FBI.

At most, he'll resign if impeachment looks imminent, then retire back to his life at Trump Tower, tweeting hateful messages to his millions of followers.

As entertaining as that would be, there's no going back from this. The investigation doesn't end just because he resigns from office.

Allard

Trump's not fleeing the country, c'mon. Nor is he getting perp walked by the FBI.

At most, he'll resign if impeachment looks imminent, then retire back to his life at Trump Tower, tweeting hateful messages to his millions of followers.

If he resigns, he is running, if he isn't resigning, he isn't. They can't arrest him without him being removed from office so in a way the presidency does give him a form of immunity. If it looks like impeachment is imminent, watch his 'overseas' schedule.

Yeah that seems the most likely ending tbh

I do wonder if he'd get pardoned if charges were somehow filed, this has all happened in the public eye for the most part

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I highly doubt Trump would get pardoned.

In the possible chance Trump is gone, Pence will likely never refer to him by name the same way Ford never referred to Nixon.
He's just "the previous president"
And if you think about it, that would really get under Trump's skin.

Sephzilla

How can he run away, the secret service are on his ass 24/7.

It would need to be Jack Comrade Bauer shit or something.

Yeah, this is the other thing. If Trump would theoretically try to flee the country he'd need to somehow slip the Secret Service in order to do so

In the possible chance Trump is gone, Pence will likely never refer to him by name the same way Ford never referred to Nixon.

Honestly if Trump goes down I think Pence goes down with him

jelly

I highly doubt Trump would get pardoned.

He would get pardoned. It's embarrassing for the US. The investigation would be huge and make the US look like the worst democracy ever when they tout being the leaders of the free world etc. They will let Trump slip away as long as he pisses off from the job. The wrong thing to do but saving face is every governments priority and a pardon is the best of the two options that doesn't drag them through the mud for years for all to see.

I doubt Pence survives this. I don't even think Paul Ryan will. After all is said and done, whoever inherits the presidency will want to distance themselves far Trump and Russia. I think it is unlikely they would risk association by pardoning those involved.

Sephzilla

Yeah, if we'd get one of the better case scenarios then in all likelihood a bunch of higher up Republicans in the order of succession would probably get booted out. Whomever would be next in the chain of command would probably want to distance themselves from Trump/Russia in order to preserve whatever the GOP has left as well as save their own political careers.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
I doubt Pence survives this. I don't even think Paul Ryan will. After all is said and done, whoever inherits the presidency will want to distance themselves far Trump and Russia. I think it is unlikely they would risk association by pardoning those involved.

Let's say Pence and Ryan are part of this and get booted. The next up is Orrin Hatch. He would be the first Mormon president.

Mike M

Nick N
Let's say Pence and Ryan are part of this and get booted. The next up is Orrin Hatch. He would be the first Mormon president.

Mitt-Romney-008.jpg

I thought this was an interesting discussion

CNN: Conservative media in denial over Comey news?

So basically, conservatives are reactionists, waiting to see how liberals respond to news, then do the opposite.

Also interesting was how many people have no opinion of the matter. The people in CNN's speaking believe conservative media is winning, which is shown by seeing how many people don't have a view of the firing.

Another discussion is conservative entertainers vs. conservative intellects, and how the entertainers are getting the big money, so as a conservative, it's better to play the base versus essentially reason.

This impeachment/Trump running away talk is getting really wild this morning.

We need to keep perspective. Impeachment does not appear overnight, it builds. You'll hear it talked about seriously for weeks beforehand.

Also, the idea of secret indictments are sheer nutbattery. When Nixon was named an "Unindicted co-conspirator", that was seen as as close as one could get to indicting a sitting president.

If investigations got far enough for an actual indictment on a President, the evident would be given to Congress to start impeachment.

I do think the Comey firing and fallout is a turning point, but I agree with someone earlier that said we are perhaps 3 months away at least from a serious turning point for the GOP and Trump.

Sephzilla

I think a lot of prominent GOP members are involved in some fashion which is why the GOP is so focused on trying to make this go away and figure out who's snitching on them. Keeping the leaks to the press going are super important because its the only way the GOP will truly turn on Trump, because the constant leaks are turning the public against Trump.

If Ryan wasn't involved I think he'd be pushing to investigate the Trump administration since Ryan would likely inherit the presidency.

jstripes

Banned

Simply retiring to Trump Tower may not be so easy now that they've opened the books and are investigating the entire Trump Organization. He's made an enemy of the entire IC, and they're going after him politically and personally.

Boylamite

1. Trump is innocent

I don't believe any of that. The republicans entire goal is to sieve tax money off to their donors, full stop. All the moral issues is one means to this end.
They are ruled by $$$ and nothing else.

Simply retiring to Trump Tower may not be so easy now that they've opened the books and are investigating the entire Trump Organization. He's made an enemy of the entire IC, and they're going after him politically and personally.

If the Republicans impeached Trump and removed him from office (or he resigned in obvious shame), the very next step they would take is having the new President pardon him, like Ford did to Nixon.

The fallout of blanket pardoning < the fallout of further investigations/trials.

eh, Trump still representss the best chance ever for Ryan to pass his beloved tax cuts and privatization goals. Ryan must feel tantalizingly close.

I feel his most pressing concern is surviving this investigation unscathed. If he was honestly innocent of wrongdoing, then why hitch himself to Trump when it only serves to set his career and reputation aflame. Whilst he is a slimy piece of shit, I would assume he at least would have the intelligence to avoid exposing himself to such a scandal. Him doing the opposite suggests to me he is only protecting Trump to protect himself.

Thaedolus

This impeachment/Trump running away talk is getting really wild this morning.

We need to keep perspective. Impeachment does not appear overnight, it builds. You'll hear it talked about seriously for weeks beforehand.

Also, the idea of secret indictments are sheer nutbattery. When Nixon was named an "Unindicted co-conspirator", that was seen as as close as one could get to indicting a sitting president.

If investigations got far enough for an actual indictment on a President, the evident would be given to Congress to start impeachment.

I do think the Comey firing and fallout is a turning point, but I agree with someone earlier that said we are perhaps 3 months away at least from a serious turning point for the GOP and Trump.

Rosenstein is briefing the full senate this week. Comey wants to publicly testify. The FISA evidence is going to be bukkaked all over the GOP's face. It's happening sooner than you think.

eh, Trump still representss the best chance ever for Ryan to pass his beloved tax cuts and privatization goals. Ryan must feel tantalizingly close.

This hits the nail on the head.

Republicans leadership is not considering any strategy, or not turning on Trump because they are directly complicit.

Their calculation is very simple: "What path lets us ram through our agenda as quickly as possible?"

That is it. Viewed under that light, all of their choices over the last year make perfect sense.

The only point at which they will turn on Trump is when that is the more expedient of all options.

Rosenstein is briefing the full senate this week. Comey wants to publicly testify. The FISA evidence is going to be bukkaked all over the GOP's face. It's happening sooner than you think.

He does? Thought the last news we had there was that he wanted to take some time to himself and relax.

jstripes

Banned
If the Republicans impeached Trump and removed him from office (or he resigned in obvious shame), the very next step they would take is having the new President pardon him, like Ford did to Nixon.

The fallout of blanket pardoning < the fallout of further investigations/trials.

As someone said earlier in the thread, if they go at him from the state level (NYAG), a federal pardon won't help him, and the NYAG is champing at the bit to go after him.

Guevara

I feel his most pressing concern is surviving this investigation unscathed. If he was honestly innocent of wrongdoing, then why hitch himself to Trump when it only serves to set his career and reputation aflame. Whilst he is a slimy piece of shit, I would assume he at least would have the intelligence to avoid exposing himself to such a scandal. Him doing the opposite suggests to me he is only protecting Trump to protect himself.

Republican leaders continue to embrace Trump, because Trump continues to be very popular amongst Republican voters.

KingV

They will never get 60 votes in the senate for privatizing Medicare. And there is no way to make it reconciliation-eligible.

The tax cuts are also not likely to be reconciliation eligible, because they will increase the deficit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom