• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump picks Reince Priebus as Chief of Staff, Steve Bannon as senior advisor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barzul

I'm saying that Reince Priebus is a cunning dude and gets things done so don't expect GoP infighting at least not early on.

Absolutely but he isn't actually in charge of anything. Still important but he won't be a middle man between Congress personalities and Trump like Priebus.

Ok I see what you meant. I still think Bannon will be plenty influential. It'll come down to who exactly Trump trusts the most. Still potential for that infighting you described. D.C. is a different beast from the campaign trail.

I'm a dem and I didn't want bannon anywhere near this White House.

This isn't political games this is our country. Bannon wants to stoke race hatred to violence and smile while America burns. America is a hellscape and I alone can save. That was 2016 message and in 2020 the hellscape will be for real.

Everyone should fight this. Ryan already said he won't - probably cuz his bud is chief of staff. Let's hear from the nevertrump guys in senate on this. Speak up.

We are fucked if we don't get that guy the hell away from the White House.

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich said Sunday that President-elect Donald Trump must “swing for the fences” in his first year in the White House, or else risk being sucked in by the Washington “swamp” that he has pledged to drain.

“This is a city which if you don't shove it as hard as you can while you have momentum, it will just surround you,” Gingrich said on CBS’s “Face the Nation” on Sunday morning. “I mean, the swamp doesn't want to be drained. And the swamp will just suck you in if you let it. So he needs to have a very, very aggressive first year.”

Gingrich said Trump must be a “salesman” as president, loudly backing the package of proposals he will try to enact once he assumes office.

It is especially important, Gingrich said, that Trump seek bipartisan cooperation wherever possible and floated a massive infrastructure project as one issue where he might find a willing ally in incoming Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and other Democrats.

“I think it's very important that Trump try to have as many Democrats as possible help him do this,” the former House speaker said. “Because one of the lessons of the Obama years is, if you do things that are big on a purely partisan basis, they're not stable. I mean, I think Trump wants to change America to make it great again for a generation. Not just for eight years.”

Conway said Trump will stay true to his swamp-draining campaign promises, even if his transition has thus far taken a more traditional Washington form.

“Look, these are people who are talented and have done this before. You can't just appoint novices, you have to have people who know what they're doing. But at the same time, moving forward, this is an administration that's going to run very differently than typical Washington,” Conway told host Chris Wallace during an interview on “Fox News Sunday.” “Finally, the voters got what they wanted, what they've been begging for for 30 years, which is give us the opportunity, give us a person who actually represents the outsider, non-Washington, business-experienced type of profile, somebody who goes to Washington owing nobody anything.”

pSBVuV7.gif

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
He's cutting the biggest slice he can out of the Republican pie before starting a third party while president. They're getting played. Gotta prepare the field for Trump Jr.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Bannon in as chief strategist...

I don't even know what to say about this.

Taxpayers will be funding his hatred. Honestly this is terrible.

Krowley

Giuliani is a little better. Not much, but better.Christie is downright awful in all respects.

I don't know. Giuliani is a real snake. I'm not sure I've ever heard him speak three sentences without either telling a lie or applying outrageous levels of spin to something. He has literally no integrity at all.

I can think of a couple of times that Christie has surprised me by doing something sort of decent. And he really did a number on Marco in that debate, which was very amusing.

Blader

lmao @ the suggestion that Trump will try to seek bipartisan cooperation. Yeah, I'll bet Dems will be fucking tripping over themselves to work with this administration.

I'm a dem and I didn't want bannon anywhere near this White House.

This isn't political games this is our country. Bannon wants to stoke race hatred to violence and smile while America burns. America is a hellscape and I alone can save. That was 2016 message and in 2020 the hellscape will be for real.

Everyone should fight this. Ryan already said he won't - probably cuz his bud is chief of staff. Let's hear from the nevertrump guys in senate on this. Speak up.

We are fucked if we don't get that guy the hell away from the White House.

Senate confirms cabinet appointments. Trump doesn't need anyone's permission on naming chief of staff or random advisers.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So he's draining the swamp and refilling it with the very same stagnant water? So very anti establishment

Toxi

Banned
Conway said Trump will stay true to his swamp-draining campaign promises, even if his transition has thus far taken a more traditional Washington form.

“Look, these are people who are talented and have done this before. You can't just appoint novices, you have to have people who know what they're doing. But at the same time, moving forward, this is an administration that's going to run very differently than typical Washington,” Conway told host Chris Wallace during an interview on “Fox News Sunday.” “Finally, the voters got what they wanted, what they've been begging for for 30 years, which is give us the opportunity, give us a person who actually represents the outsider, non-Washington, business-experienced type of profile, somebody who goes to Washington owing nobody anything.”
OUR PRESIDENT IS A REALITY TV STAR

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So he's draining the swamp and refilling it with the very same stagnant water?

No no no, Priebus just converted, soul saved, all is forgiven. Every corrupt establishment politician can have their sins forgiven through Trump.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
And he's considering Linda McMahon for a position after she donated $6 million to his campaign.

So much for draining the swamp of the establishment, lobbyists, and corruption, he's filling it up even more with his cronyism.

~Kinggi~

Banned
And he's considering Linda McMahon for a position after she donated $6 million to his campaign.

So much for draining the swamp of the establishment, lobbyists, and corruption, he's filling it up even more with his cronyism.

Trump supporters will conveniently ignore all this.

*sticks fingers in ears* lalalalala cant hear you lalalala

giga

Bannon being in the White House is the real news here. That's absolutely indefensible. Even for Republicans.

lmao @ the suggestion that Trump will try to seek bipartisan cooperation. Yeah, I'll bet Dems will be fucking tripping over themselves to work with this administration.

Senate confirms cabinet appointments. Trump doesn't need anyone's permission on naming chief of staff or random advisers.

They don't have a say but they can weigh in! Moral authority to do so in fact.

RPGCrazied

God, his cabinet is turning out to be so bizarre. Surely this can't last for long.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Head on over to breitbart. I know that sounds crazy but look at the headline.

Similarly the press release names Bannon first and Reince second for a reason.

Blader

They don't have a say but they can weigh in! Moral authority to do so in fact.

With the exception of, like, Jeff Flake, they didn't have an ounce of this when he was running for president, so they're sure as hell not going to find any now that he actually is president. Flake is probably afraid for his life right now.

jtb

Banned
Bannon is an anti-semetic white nationalist. He's also insane.

I'm fucking terrified.

You guys should definitely keep doubting Trump, it's working out really well.

The Priebus pick is brilliant.

No one ever doubted he's a fascist con-man.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I thought people saying Bannon were talking about his youngest son, I forgot his name is Barron. Maybe Trump confused the name too and thought he was appointing his kid.

Toxi

Banned
I thought people saying Bannon were talking about his youngest son, I forgot his name is Barron. Maybe Trump confused the name too and thought he was appointing his kid.
I would prefer Trump's kid to Steve Bannon.
You guys should definitely keep doubting Trump, it's working out really well.

The Priebus pick is brilliant.
We have never doubted that Trump is a piece of shit who will hire the worst people this country has to offer.

With the exception of, like, Jeff Flake, they didn't have an ounce of this when he was running for president, so they're sure as hell not going to find any now that he actually is president. Flake is probably afraid for his life right now.
Ben sasse
Mike lee

This is all setup for thundererdome 2020.

Get out there and denounce steve bannon. Didn't want his child to go to school with the Jews.

NimbusD

First thought is that... well he's better than bannon!

Second though... FUCK Bannon would have been divisive and prevented a Trump presidency from unifying the GOP. Priebus has a better chance of that. That's scarier to me than having a complete nutjob in the spot.

EDIT:

Also, anti-establishment, lol.

Anarky

Banned

Speaking of this anyone see my boy diablos991 anywhere?

Guy got suspiciously quiet once it became obvious Trump was actually full of shit.

No one ever doubted he's a fascist con-man.
We have never doubted that Trump is a piece of shit who will hire the worst people this country has to offer.
I think we had a pretty good idea already that he was going to surround himself with his cronies and yes men.
I'm sorry, did you think "Drain the swamp" meant he was going to drain it of Republicans or people willing to 'bend the knee' as it were, to get what Trump wants done?

You will say no, and that you saw this coming, but I find that hard to believe as you saw none of this coming at all. When Trump said "drain the swamp" and his supporters listened, none of them got confused about what that meant...

MIMIC

Banned
Having Bannon's views anywhere near the White House is a step backwards for the country.

No, not just a step backwards. We turned around and started sprinting.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I'm sorry, did you think "Drain the swamp" meant he was going to drain it of Republicans or people willing to 'bend the knee' as it were, to get what Trump wants done?

You will say no, and that you saw this coming, but I find that hard to believe as you saw none of this coming at all. When Trump said "drain the swamp" and his supporters listened, none of them got confused about what that meant...

oh ok so they were just secret 'deplorables' then, cool that this understanding is quickly being made and that his supporters were all in on the game.

I still dont understand how Trump reconciles having Jared Kushner, a Jew, and Steve Bannon, a known anti-semite, as two of his top advisers.

Very smart pick. I never expected Bannon would want that job he has enough on his plate. Makes sense that he would be an adviser. Of course the Dems really wanted Bannon so they could attack him for it and Trump just robbed them of the satisfaction.

This sounds like the same kind of dangerously cynical strategizing as the Clinton's campaign choice of Trump as a Pied Piper candidate.

Any Democrats who think that way should not have any power in the party.

Steejee

I still dont understand how Trump reconciles having Jared Kushner, a Jew, and Steve Bannon, a known anti-semite, as two of his top advisers.

It's Trump...when does it ever make sense.

Hard for me to judge what the worst picks would be, they're all awful in their own way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom