• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump pressures Democrats on Obamacare to get border wall deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
I imagine a Trump rally right now

Trump: WHEN DO WE NEED THE WALL?
Crowd: NOW!!!
T: AND WHO WILL PAY FOR IT?
C: MEXICO, EVENTUALLY IN SOME FORM AT A LATER DATE!!!

They should tax guacamole. That would increase the speed of the EU-Mexico free trade deal. More guacamole for me.

Win-Win

I can't help but think, had a Democratic president done something like this, threatened the healthcare of millions of people over a petty-ass infrastructure project that won't do anything to help anyone, the Republican messaging machine would have been glorious.

We'd see every Republican pundit and politician on every news media source possible, all shouting with the same unified message. Over and over again.

Commercials would be running in every state

The internet would be flooded with crappy memes.

There would be no sleeping at GOP headquarters until the Republican spin had been drilled into the head of every American man, woman and child.

But here we are with Republican President Trump, threatening to rob healthcare from millions and giving Democrats the sort of ammo that the greatest political strategists of years past could only dream of landing in their lap.

And...nothing.
This is Trump right now, and just like the film it will probably work too.
giphy.gif

lush

I can't help but think, had a Democratic president done something like this, threatened the healthcare of millions of people over a petty-ass infrastructure project that won't do anything to help anyone, the Republican messaging machine would have been glorious.

We'd see every Republican pundit and politician on every news media source possible, all shouting with the same unified message. Over and over again.

There would be no sleeping at GOP headquarters until the Republican spin had been drilled into the head of every American man, woman and child.

But here we are with Republican President Trump, threatening to rob healthcare from millions and giving Democrats the sort of ammo that the greatest political strategists of years past could only dream of landing in their lap.

And...nothing.

Meanwhile, Dems are wasting their time with a Unity tour where stupid ass Bernie Sanders still wants to cry about the primary/divide while we're on the precipice of a massive grassroots movement that's already showing out in heavy R leaning areas less than a hundred days in to the presidency.

Skunkers

I imagine a Trump rally right now

Trump: WHEN DO WE NEED THE WALL?
Crowd: NOW!!!
T: AND WHO WILL PAY FOR IT?
C: MEXICO, EVENTUALLY IN SOME FORM AT A LATER DATE!!! BUT ACTUALLY ONLY THROUGH INCREASED IMPORT TAXES WHICH WILL CAUSE THEM TO RAISE THE PRICE OF GOODS!!!!
T: SO WHO'S REALLY PAYING FOR IT??
C: WE ARE.

Fixed for more accuracy.

rjinaz

And...nothing.

Yeah it's crazy to me that despite all that's happened Democrats don't seem to have much of a bite in them. They should feel like cornered animals ready to strike. Not hazy day dreamers.

I think he's desperate for a legislative win on his terms his deal.

And is becomming increasingly frustrated. And the assholes around him won't fight back so have to at least *appear* like they are fighting for it.

Then after all is said and done they'll say "can't do it" and trump will go "ok"

He'll probably ask 10 times and on the 11th be chill.

But I heard he's got an extreme temper behind closer doors so like I said, his patsys are just trying to look busy.

shiba5

MS-13 is already here. smfh
They were so bold they tagged the building I worked in. They knew ICE also worked out of there.

npm0925

Didn't this pigfucker say Mexico would pay for the wall? Master negotiator = bitch who can only bully people who can't fight back.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Keeping Brown people out of the country is far more important to the wealthy, and the Republican politicians. And stupid people keep voting them in power so they can serve their own interest. It's insane.
But the wealthy don't even want this, the wealthy are the ones paying the brown people literally pennies hahahahahaha

So trump really has no idea what he is pushing

NimbusD

Dems are past the point of being able to do anything significant to save or overhaul the ACA, this isn't a deal in the slightest. Trump and Republicans are still capable and willing to dismantle the ACA with or without a cash flow, so it's best just to leave it on them so when shit comes tumbling down they've been the ones who engineered every decision hastening it's demise and the cluster fuck that comes after, so that way the 15 Republican voters who actually pay attention to things will notice lol/sigh/fml

kevin1025

Banned
Imagine Trump's rally happening on the same day he shut downs the government.

Possible government shutdown the midnight before, along with another potential health care failure, on top of the correspondent's dinner, and on his day 100... he has a rally.

Going to be a full blown meltdown.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Seems the base wants democrats to hold their ground.

Let's hope they do.

If they don't, they can't turn around and blame the base for not showing up at midterms.

Hey Trump, the billions in subsidies that go toward the PPACA are for people to get healthcare.

It's not as frivolous as you think. This isn't money for thousands of nationwide gender neutral bathrooms or whatever you guys think Democrats want.

Ithil

I love how he says "Dems need it to keep it going" as though the Democrats are running the ACA separately from the government. His own government, Republican controlled, is the one running the ACA now.

BajiBoxer

Banned

Let's hope they do.

If they don't, they can't turn around and blame the base for not showing up at midterms.
There's no reason not to. I don't see how Trump has any leverage. He's already vowed to dismamtle the ACA completely, asap.

rjinaz

But the wealthy don't even want this, the wealthy are the ones paying the brown people literally pennies hahahahahaha

So trump really has no idea what he is pushing

True, it's more have their cake and eat it too. THEY will still have undocumented they can exploit. Just like THEY still outsource to China while dictating others not to.

Wensih

Keeping Brown people out of the country is far more important to the wealthy, and the Republican politicians. And stupid people keep voting them in power so they can serve their own interest. It's insane.

Important to the wealthy? I would think they like the cheap labor from immigrant workers.

It's important for the racists.

Syncytia

So I really don't understand the whole wall thing. Like, I do get why it's supporters like it, but it's pointless in it's excess.

You build a giant ass wall along the border. Ok, you just blew a few tens of billions of dollars.

Then you need to hire a bunch of border patrol to man it, or it isn't effective. A wall isn't stopping anyone from coming unless it had something insane like autonomous guns to shot anyone who gets close.

So why not just hire a bunch more border patrol and have smaller outposts (I'd assume these things already exist) along the border? Increase the man power so you actually have "security" along the border.

Anyway, yeah Trump is an idiot. He doesn't understand you don't just make a deal between two massive and unrelated pieces of legislation in a week. Especially when it's solely for his personal "I did so much in 100 days" agenda.

Dems are past the point of being able to do anything significant to save or overhaul the ACA, this isn't a deal in the slightest. Trump and Republicans are still capable and willing to dismantle the ACA with or without a cash flow, so it's best just to leave it on them so when shit comes tumbling down they've been the ones who engineered every decision hastening it's demise and the cluster fuck that comes after, so that way the 15 Republican voters who actually pay attention to things will notice lol/sigh/fml
Willing, sure.

Capable? I'd say that is far from given.

rjinaz

Important to the wealthy? I would think they like the cheap labor from immigrant workers.

It's important for the racists.

It's definitely racist motives regardless. If the wealthy were really that concerned about losing their cheap labor it wouldn't be a driving force of the Republicans, vastly funded by the super wealthy.

Of course it's also to keep a target for the poor people to kick so they feel better about themselves.

Syncytia

Trump: A public showing of how big CEO's do business.

That's not even entirely accurate. Trump is a "CEO" but not in the way most people think of the term as it relates to large publicly traded corporations. He answers to no one but himself. A CEO of a publicly traded corporation would know how to handle people much better than Trump.

maruchan

Ms13 are from El Salvador, they dont come through Mexico, unless they risk getting got cought by the cartels like many other Central Americans . This shit is insane and stupid...

Zolo

That's not even entirely accurate. Trump is a "CEO" but not in the way most people think of the term as it relates to large publicly traded corporations. He answers to no one but himself. A CEO of a publicly traded corporation would know how to handle people much better than Trump.

Then he's certainly not doing the image of CEO's any favors.

Syncytia

Ms13 are from El Salvador, they dont come through Mexico, unless they risk getting got cought by the cartels like many other Central Americans . This shit is insane and stupid...

Trump also thinks MS13 is Obama's fault. Except for the fact that they've had a presence in the majority of states since the Bush years and the FBI has been actively following them since then.

Then he's certainly not doing the image of CEO's any favors.

Of course he isn't. He's just a selfish, narcissistic, single minded baby. He doesn't know how the real world works. Don't remember where this is from but he's "the poor mans idea of a rich person." I think there's another part to that but I forgot it.

Effect

Let's hope they do.

Seriously. They need and should be telling trump to go fuck himself. They had better not cave on anything here.

royalan

So I really don't understand the whole wall thing. Like, I do get why it's supporters like it, but it's pointless in it's excess.

You build a giant ass wall along the border. Ok, you just blew a few tens of billions of dollars.

Then you need to hire a bunch of border patrol to man it, or it isn't effective. A wall isn't stopping anyone from coming unless it had something insane like autonomous guns to shot anyone who gets close.

So why not just hire a bunch more border patrol and have smaller outposts (I'd assume these things already exist) along the border? Increase the man power so you actually have "security" along the border.

Anyway, yeah Trump is an idiot. He doesn't understand you don't just make a deal between two massive and unrelated pieces of legislation in a week. Especially when it's solely for his personal "I did so much in 100 days" agenda.

I'm convinced that the people who were rallied by the cry to Build a Wall!! don't actually care if a wall actually gets built and will not hold it over Trump's head when one doesn't get built.

A huge chunk of the Trump base is racist. And they like the hate being projected at minorities, particularly Latinos, by that particular rallying cry. They feed on it, whether or not the wall actually gets built doesn't matter.

The wall is more than a dog whistle. It's a dog bullhorn.

gaugebozo

Unless I'm off base here, the money needed to "save" Obamacare is money promised by the government anyway, isn't it? It's not like some extra funding. This is like calling your credit card company and saying you'll pay your debt if they raise your spending limit. Otherwise fuck it, you won't pay debt.

And using the wall for leverage is fucking hilarious. You said Mexico was paying for it. Why the shit would Democrats even entertain this conversation? Democrats need to get out and say that. Why is Trump's trying to bargain to break his promise to the American people.

Two promises. He also would be leaving Obamacare in place.

7Th

Democrats should let Obamacare die; Trump would take the fall and by now it's clear Americans won't learn their lesson unless millions of them die. People will keep voting for dumbasses like Trump until they see their healthcare bills blow up and their loved one suffer before their eyes.

Retro

Trump also thinks MS13 is Obama's fault. Except for the fact that they've had a presence in the majority of states since the Bush years and the FBI has been actively following them since then.

Now now, let's not let something like facts get in the way of utilizing fear and bigotry to score political points.

They're complete failures at anything other than getting corporations more money.

Typical.

The Democrats beat them at that too. Mainstream Republicans suck at everything. Trump needs to push his unorthodox positions as a Republican and hope enough Dems help him out if he hopes to win again. Pushing the conservative agenda isn't going to work well and he'll end up a loser.

It's definitely racist motives regardless. If the wealthy were really that concerned about losing their cheap labor it wouldn't be a driving force of the Republicans, vastly funded by the super wealthy.

Of course it's also to keep a target for the poor people to kick so they feel better about themselves.

The wealthy funded Trump very late compared to the candidates they actually wanted in office, Jeb, Rubio, and Cruz. Most people that are wealthy aren't nationalists and if they have libertarian bent then they are in favor of mass immigration. Most of them probably don't even want the wall because it's an expensive public works project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom