• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump risks major diplomatic dispute with China after speaking with Taiwan's prez

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

Donald Trump risks opening up a major diplomatic dispute with China before he has even been inaugurated after speaking on the phone on Friday with Tsai Ying-wen, the president of Taiwan.

The telephone call, confirmed by three people, is believed to be the first between a US president or president-elect and a leader of Taiwan since diplomatic relations between the two were cut in 1979.

Although it is not clear if the Trump transition team intended the conversation to signal a broader change in US policy towards Taiwan, the call is likely to infuriate Beijing which regards the island as a renegade province.

The US has adopted the so-called “One China” policy since 1972 after the Nixon-Mao meetings and in 1978 President Jimmy Carter formally recognised Beijing as the sole government of China, with the US embassy closing in Taipei the year after.

The Trump team did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

“The Chinese leadership will see this as a highly provocative action, of historic proportions,” said Evan Medeiros, former Asia director at the White House national security council.

“Regardless if it was deliberate or accidental, this phone call will fundamentally change China’s perceptions of Trump’s strategic intentions for the negative. With this kind of move, Trump is setting a foundation of enduring mistrust and strategic competition for US-China relations.”
https://www.ft.com/content/fd19907e-b8d4-11e6-961e-a1acd97f622d

Better start building your nuclear shelters now.

Update: Trump transition team confirms phone call...

CytFddFXEAApMfN.jpg

jfkgoblue

China won't do shit to us about this, they depend on us way to much. They will grovel and complain, but in the end they won't do anything. Not to mention the have virtually no Navy so it isn't like they could act out on us any way.

Pyrokai

Guy is totally clueless. I'm not at all surprised. Here's going to tear foreign relations completely apart, and that's best case scenario

ezrarh

I'm not sure Trump knows the differences between East Asians much less the political issues surrounding the region.

DrSlek

Please convey to the Taiwanese people that they are amazing and all Taiwanese I have known are exceptional people.

I am ready and willing to play any role that you want me to play to address and find solutions to the outstanding problems

One of the few mistakes hes made I do not mind. Our policy with Taiwan is counterproductive with how China continually attempts to undermine them. Taiwan has always been an ardent ally and they deserve better.

and the far-Left with the Alt-Right were warning that a Clinton administration would be responsible for starting WW3

*sigh*

not even sworn in, and this Know-Nothing Trump is about stir up shit not realizing the consequences

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I can guess the convo

'I love Taiwan, Taiwan is terrific. We have a lot of Taiwanese citizens and they're fantastic, and why wouldn't they be? They came from a fantastic place. I just love, love, love Taiwan and I think we'll have a terrific relationship. Anything you need from Taiwan, just let me know, and you'll get it.'

Regardless, maybe blessing in disguise?

commedieu

Banned
In drumps defense (vomit all over shirt), "Trump is setting a foundation of enduring mistrust and strategic competition for US-China relations.”

He literally said they invented climate change, and that they are stealing all of our jobs. I think you'd be quite aware, if you were china, that Trump doesn't care for you.

Jintor

There is a 0% chance Trump and Duterte will not trade insults at some point in the next 4 years.

too late, dude's already been invited to the white house.

tell your citizens to kill drug dealers in the streets, get invited to the white house

global politics in the next 4 years is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked

Empty

this is unintentionally a good move. china's attitude towards taiwan is ridiculous, we shouldn't pander to it.

Chiggs

Gold Member
This is a real shame because China has historically always had America's best interest in mind.

qcf x2

Suck it up, China. Taiwan is doing nothing wrong and they should not be excluded from contact with the USA because China is afraid of losing them.

He repeatedly bashed China during his electoral campaign and used them as a bogeyman, not sure why this would shock or surprise any of the leadership in China.

Trump already told China he's going to impose tariffs on trade and scrap climate change deals. At this point China's like "Oh what did he do today? Whatever." and continues with their day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom