• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump risks major diplomatic dispute with China after speaking with Taiwan's prez

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violet_0

Banned
Independence is more than the people want to leave, just look at what Canada did after failed Quebec referendum. And if the voice of Taiwanese people should be heard, then ignoring 1.3 billion people is a bigger mistake.

do you believe China would be justified in invading Taiwan if they declared independence? I don't see why it should be up to the people of mainland China to decide the fate of Taiwan

do you believe China would be justified in invading Taiwan if they declared independence? I don't see why it should be up to the people of mainland China to decide the fate of Taiwan

So you want to destroy the progress through decades of dialogues? Just to show China who is the boss here?

Do that but don't claim you care about the Taiwanese people.

And in the process we very nearly DID go to war and destroy the entire world.

Being unpredictable has risks as well as benefits. The risks are less likely, but they're much worse when they happen.

We are actually used to madman theory because the GOP has been deploying it for a while now, just domestically with the debt ceiling and government shutdowns, etc. The easiest way to plausibly present yourself as crazy is to elect crazy people.

We have now done that for the entire country.

I don't think madman theory should be used in domestic policy, but it sure as hell can work in foreign policy. Khrushchev, like many dictators, bet on the tendency of the west to ignore conflict in the interest of 'stability'. He brought the world to the brink of war by trying to bring nuclear warheads to Cuba, and Kennedy took the problem seriously enough to diffuse a situation that would almost certainly have gotten a lot worse had he done nothing.

Timeaisis

This question has been answered repeatedly in this thread. A recognition of Taiwanese independence would infuriate the People's Republic of China, would could potentially lead them to escalate their island building in the South China Sea, cut off all economic and travel to Taiwan, or even potentially push for a trade war. This does not even consider how Taiwan would respond, as they would be facing the brunt of the attack. If Taiwan actually declares independence, I fully expect Chinese bombardment and eventual invasion. China has it explicitly in its Constitution to declare war on Taiwan if it declared independence. Everything is about maintaining a balance and keeping stability. Talking about "democracy" is a rather hollow stump to go on when dealing with people who don't give a damn about it, and follow a belief based on hundreds of years of history and culture.

But hasn't this been answered already? If it was that simple, there'd be no need for diplomacy at all. It's a process, a long and complicated one, and it isn't helped by random phone calls that only antagonize the side that can really fuck over Taiwan. Trump has no plan here, no moral impetus. He will not beat the drum of Taiwanese independence.

Why do you keep asking that question? It has already been answered multiple times in this thread, and even in direct response to you.

So are you admitting that you believe Taiwan is an independent nation or...? Because it really sounds up me like most of you do, but think we should act in a way that in my opinion is incompatible with our beliefs on international sovereignty

So just admit that. That when it's inconvenient to recognize an obviously independent nation, we shouldn't.

So are you admitting that you believe Taiwan is an independent nation or...? Because it really sounds up me like most of you do, but think we should act in a way that in my opinion is incompatible with our beliefs on international sovereignty

So just admit that. That when it's inconvenient to recognize an obviously independent nation, we shouldn't.

No, you don't understand. Mao always said China needs to care about owning as much land as possible. Like REALLY REALLY care. Get it?

MGrant

One of the few things Republicans have been right about in the past 30 years is the need to support and defend us here in Taiwan. That being said, I can't help but feel like Trump is doing this for all of the wrong reasons.

tuxfool

Banned

How about not looking for simple answers in a complicated world? That is what fools do, and it inevitably leads them into trouble.

How about not looking for simple answers in a complicated world? That is what fools do, and it inevitably leads them into trouble.

How about not perpetually obfuscating every question of real human dignity and suffering with moral relativism and phoney 'Realism'?

Violet_0

Banned
So you want to destroy the progress through decades of dialogues? Just to show China who is the boss here?

Do that but don't claim you care about the Taiwanese people.

it's up for Taiwan to decide when the right time has come to seek true sovereignty. I just think it's unrealistic to believe that China will be content with keeping the status quo in the Taiwan question. It worked until now, sure, but they have shown no intention of letting them go, and they got a much stronger hand here in the long run while everyone is still afraid of waking the dragon

Nivash

To turn that question on it's head: what if the one thing keeping Taiwan independent is the fact that it isn't recognised as such? Because that may very well be the case. Are you really going to put rethoric over reality in that situation?

dramatis

Yes, let's care more about helping China save 'face' than being a symbol for democratic values in the world. This argument that 'oh but you don't understand, China really really cares about (x)' is getting old. Let's be real: this was a phone call - a courtesy, not a policy. And he's not President until inauguration day.

I dislike Trump as much as anyone, but the modern Chinese government is worse. It's a morally awful Han ethno-dictatorship with just enough nukes to believe it can bully the world. The US should be supportive of China's neighbours, and not bend over to accommodate the communist party's every loony anxiety.
I still think you don't actually grasp what 'face' is in Chinese culture. It's actually strong enough socially to be considered "power and influence". To China, the US sticking with the One China policy is considered a gesture of goodwill, and therefore the US keeping to this policy is giving the US power and influence when it comes to relations with China.

Moreover, you mistake that it's up to outside nations (aka the US, the rest of the world) to determine whether or not China should have the One China policy or not. The US recognizing Taiwan as an independent nation does not change either China's or Taiwan's positions on being the 'proper' China. The reason Chinese people want a Unified China has to do with their long, long history dating back to the Spring and Autumn Period where the people of the land spent hundreds of years fighting endless wars with each other. China's history means they can't be a Europe where the countries separated after the Roman Empire and learned to live with each other (Europe still had a shitton of wars, including the two worst in history). China's history means their people want to be One China, because the ideas of peace and prosperity are closely associated with times in history where 'China' was unified as one.

From a US perspective, the policy regarding Taiwan's status buys time. Yes, it is not adherent to the lofty ideals of democracy. But from the very beginning of US history when the Americans decided not to assist the revolutionists in France shortly after the American Revolution, we were not adhering to those ideals in the foreign theater anyway. The juggle between China and Taiwan is intended to give time for China to develop the government from an technocratic oligarchy, to develop the populace into a more educated, demanding one—to get time for the societal, cultural, political, and economic changes to take root to the point where China may eventually be more sensible about Taiwan.

Because of the lack of a credible higher authority, the international stage is not a place to play with principles and morals.

99Luffy

Banned
To turn that question on it's head: what if the one thing keeping Taiwan independent is the fact that it isn't recognised as such? Because that may very well be the case. Are you really going to put rethoric over reality in that situation?
Its up to Taiwan to decide that. And they decided to call Trump.

Nivash

Its up to Taiwan to decide that. And they decided to call Trump.

In that case I guess the question is whether or not you want to fight their war of independence too, because they are absolutely not in a position where they're capable of doing it on their own. Taiwan is never going to declare independence unless they're completely convinced that the US will back them and go to war with China over it.

That not what reliable sources are saying.
Unless that changed .

This call was started by trumps people.

If that's true, he's really playing with fire here. Unintentionally signalling to Taiwan that the US is ready to back them and then backing out could lead to Taiwan getting turned into a smoking cratre.

Kid Heart

Yes it matters, because the idea of One China was imposed by the Chinese, and RoC being THE China hasn't been our stance for decades.

And I live here, throwing your college course at me is laughable.

I apologize for being hasty as I did not know you are from Taiwan.

You asked if I knew anything about Taiwan and I supplied where my reasoning comes from. You exclaimed I knew nothing about Taiwan which is untrue. While you are correct I was wrong in throwing out one true China, which I apologize to you for as I was rather angry when I wrote that and didn't check to see if Taiwan's stance had changed in modern times, the matter still remains that by being called The Republic of China they will still be recognized in some capacity as China. It's right there in the name. While again, you are right that Taiwan may not care that there will be two Chinas, you are also right that China does, and they are the one we have to worry about.

Also, as someone from Taiwan though I ask for your opinion. Do you think Trump and his cabinet has the tactical finesse to handle how China will respond to such actions by rocking the boat? I ask because I want to know from someone who would be most affected by such matters. As I noted earlier I do hope someday you guys become fully recognized as a separate nation, but I have severe doubts Trump and his admin are prepared to handle such a situation. But since you guys I suspect would handle the brunt of the fall out I would like to hear your thoughts. Do you want him to start to push?

tuxfool

Banned
If that's true, he's really playing with fire here. Unintentionally signalling to Taiwan that the US is ready to back them and then backing out could lead to Taiwan getting turned into a smoking cratre.

Which is funny, because it is at odds with the stance of non-interventionism, or at least quid-pro-quo interventionism, seemingly one of his few policy viewpoints that doesn't slip and slide when asked about it.

Nivash

Which is funny, because it is at odds with the stance of non-interventionism, or at least quid-pro-quo interventionism, seemingly one of his few policy viewpoints that doesn't slip and slide when asked about it.

Funny and extremely unnerving. The one thing that made me fear a Trump presidency from the beginning the most - even beyond his horrendous policies in general - is his pure, blatant incompetence. People on GAF like to bring up how we don't need to fear, say, a nuclear war, because no one has anything to gain by it. Which is true. The problem is, it's perfectly plausible that one could end up getting started over a mistake.

And Trump? He's the walking, talking, tweeting avatar of mistakes.

I still think you don't actually grasp what 'face' is in Chinese culture. It's actually strong enough socially to be considered "power and influence". To China, the US sticking with the One China policy is considered a gesture of goodwill, and therefore the US keeping to this policy is giving the US power and influence when it comes to relations with China.

Moreover, you mistake that it's up to outside nations (aka the US, the rest of the world) to determine whether or not China should have the One China policy or not. The US recognizing Taiwan as an independent nation does not change either China's or Taiwan's positions on being the 'proper' China. The reason Chinese people want a Unified China has to do with their long, long history dating back to the Spring and Autumn Period where the people of the land spent hundreds of years fighting endless wars with each other. China's history means they can't be a Europe where the countries separated after the Roman Empire and learned to live with each other (Europe still had a shitton of wars, including the two worst in history). China's history means their people want to be One China, because the ideas of peace and prosperity are closely associated with times in history where 'China' was unified as one.

From a US perspective, the policy regarding Taiwan's status buys time. Yes, it is not adherent to the lofty ideals of democracy. But from the very beginning of US history when the Americans decided not to assist the revolutionists in France shortly after the American Revolution, we were not adhering to those ideals in the foreign theater anyway. The juggle between China and Taiwan is intended to give time for China to develop the government from an technocratic oligarchy, to develop the populace into a more educated, demanding one—to get time for the societal, cultural, political, and economic changes to take root to the point where China may eventually be more sensible about Taiwan.

Because of the lack of a credible higher authority, the international stage is not a place to play with principles and morals.

I fully understand the point about China's historical memory of unification is the reason for their desire to have control over the entire region, but I just don't agree that gives them the right to violate the sovereignty of nearby states. China also maintains territorial claims against India and Vietnam too, where exactly would 'One China' end?

Here's the reality: ethno-nationalism and appeals to historical tradition are the most over-used excuses for dictatorships asserting their control over neighbouring regions, the Russian government is doing the exact same thing right now in Ukraine. Why should we believe the Chinese government are unique in just being caught up in some romantic, benevolent dream of Chinese unity when historical precedence and their treatment of Tibet and Hong Kong clearly tell us otherwise?

I'd also like to say that you're wrong, the international stage is the most important place for the west to adhere to its values and demonstrate solidarity with democracies around the world. History is not a gradual arch towards freedom and prosperity, it belongs to those with the will to seize it. Modern democracy has always been exported (except maybe in the case of the UK) and without the force of French arms the United States would never have achieved independence. There is a higher authority, it's called human dignity and alleviating suffering.

kmfdmpig

Since the US has been focused on maintaining goodwill with China, China has done quite a lot that sullied that goodwill such as trying to take over the seas/shipping lanes and developing islands that will be naval bases. If goodwill is not reciprocated then what's the point of trying to maintain goodwill?

Calamari41

41 > 38
Honest question for the China/Taiwan relations experts in this thread.

Why would the new President of Taiwan make/take this call if it could result in such horrible consequences for the island?

I fully understand the point about China's historical memory of unification is the reason for their desire to have control over the entire region, but I just don't agree that gives them the right to violate the sovereignty of nearby states. China also maintains territorial claims against India and Vietnam too, where exactly would 'One China' end?

Here's the reality: ethno-nationalism and appeals to historical tradition are the most over-used excuses for dictatorships asserting their control over neighbouring regions, the Russian government is doing the exact same thing right now in Ukraine. Why should we believe the Chinese government are unique in just being caught up in some romantic, benevolent dream of Chinese unity when historical precedence and their treatment of Tibet and Hong Kong clearly tell us otherwise?

I'd also like to say that you're wrong, the international stage is the most important place for the west to adhere to its values and demonstrate solidarity with democracies around the world. History is not a gradual arch towards freedom and prosperity, it belongs to those with the will to seize it. Modern democracy has always been exported (except maybe in the case of the UK) and without the force of French arms the United States would never have achieved independence. There is a higher authority, it's called human dignity and alleviating suffering.

It's fairly simple here.

The risk/reward for accepting that phone call is out of wack. We already have a relationship with Taiwan. We also have a relationship with China. Accepting this phone call doesn't have any reward. It's not going to enhance our relationship with Taiwan, which is already great. It's going to rattle China, where our relationship isn't as hot.

Nivash

Why would the new President of Taiwan make/take this call if it could result in such horrible consequences for the island?

Because it's an acceptable risk for them. If US-Chinese relations deteriorate, the odds of the US supporting Taiwan in a potential future war increases. Likewise, any trade war between the US and China benefits Taiwanese exports.

The reason Trump got played is that there's literally nothing to benefit the US in those scenarios.

jstripes

Banned

My best guess is she's playing a game with China, and knew Trump, unlike more savvy politicians, would take the call.

Trump acknowledging them adds to their legitimacy on the world stage.

Simply acknowledging the existence of a country is a very, very important statement.

Window

Because it's an acceptable risk for them. If US-Chinese relations deteriorate, the odds of the US supporting Taiwan in a potential future war increases. Likewise, any trade war between the US and China benefits Taiwanese exports.

The reason Trump got played is that there's literally nothing to benefit the US in those scenarios.

I don't know how high current tension levels are between Taiwan and China but surely they can't be so high that the risk of further escalating them is negligible compared to gaining some odds of US support in a war? On the other hand if there little risk of war then I don't see why Taiwan needs to seek out US support, which in turn increases that risk. I can see some justification on the trade front though. I would imagine Taiwan's path to complete recognition of its independence relies on institutional change within China and then the question is whether this is best achieved if China suffers from economic losses in a trade war causing a change in leadership/strategy or from economic prosperity which might breed values of liberalism (the risk here being that China remains as is ideologically but gains more power on the world stage).

dramatis

No, that's not the reality for China.

You don't actually understand anything. What you are failing to do is approach this incident from a Chinese perspective. Instead you are imposing your foreign standards and notions on the country without considering its viewpoint. They don't care if their actions are justified or not in your eyes; they have their own interests. I am not offering a defense of China; I am offering an understanding. Your insistence on imposing your own values is exemplary of disrespect towards another nation simply because they do not follow your personal opinions to a tee. That's actually quite imperialistic.

If you were the US leader, would you choose to recognize Taiwan officially with the chance of China invading and occupying Taiwan by force? Thereby triggering a defense treaty that has the US going to war with China? How many lives are you willing to gamble with that China will do nothing? Twenty million lives of the Taiwanese? How many soldiers of the US military? What if they extend that aggression to other countries in the Pacific?

With regards to the international stage, you are wrong. There are no higher principles and morals because there is no single authority to enforce them. You can conduct yourself with your own ideology, but the reality is every country has its own interests and act on those interests. Short of conquering the whole world to impose your ideology, you are not going to be able to enforce your ideology 100%. That is reality. You're in idealistic dreamland. Because you simply cannot stand up in the international theater expect everyone to adhere to your values and morals. They'll laugh at you.

People make a giant shit about interventions in the Middle East, but turn around and say this crap about China because they are so sure of economic ties. It's incredibly naive.

She is in the pro independence party. Taiwan's two pro independence and pro status quote parties take turns to control the presidency every 8 year like a yoyo, it's worse than US politic.

What she wants is US promise more protection; what Trump wants is Taiwan (and Japan) pay up $$$ for US protection. Basically Trump is treating this like granting the contract to the contractor with the best offer.

China nor anybody else is going to risk all out war or all out war via proxy. Judging from China's reacting statement, I don't think they are going to start arming up for an invasion over the gaffes of Trump.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
China nor anybody else is going to risk all out war or all out war via proxy. Judging from China's reacting statement, I don't think they are going to start arming up for an invasion over the gaffes of Trump.

This is only becausebof his "president elect" status

And one country did start arming over a remark a few decades ago. A president said a remark about the Soviet union and they didn't like it one bit

And one country did start arming off over a remark a few decades ago.

I would of thought the language of their statement would be markedly more hostile if they were even close to thinking about dropping the elbow on Taiwan so to speak.

Window

Trump's poor signalling skills due to his poor knowledge of various subject matters and political etiquette is going to be the cause of much uncertainty isn't it (as it had been expected)? As Obama said, Trump will come to realise a president's words carry much meaning and can serve as an effective tool. I hope he reaches this realisation quickly.

tuxfool

Banned

Of course not, but they will exploit his gaffes to further their own foreign policy goals, whenever possible.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

And one country did start arming over a remark a few decades ago. A president said a remark about the Soviet union and they didn't like it one bit

I highly doubt China wants to go to war, there's nothing to imply that is China's end goal, we're not talking about Russia here. China has one goal and one goal only, economic supremacy. They want to be the top ecomomic power, and wasting money on expensive wars hardly helps that. If Trump foolishly wants to enter a trade war they fight fire with fire and do everything possible to weaken the US economy.

Taiwan acts as an independent sovereign nation.

China for the most part does not care provided that what they view as a renegade province is not legitimised formally.

The world generally accepts this compromise to both maintain a stable region and diplomatic relations with a global superpower.

Relations are for the most part pretty good.

Welcome to a complex world.

Chittagong

Gold Member
He's not that hard to read, come on now

1 - China has grown to be the main rival for USA
2 - Russia/Philippines/Taiwan are largely irrelevant to USA
3 - China and Russia/Philippines/Taiwan have conflicting interests
4 - Trump hangs with Russia/Philippines/Taiwan

Verelios

He's not that hard to read, come on now

1 - China has grown to be the main rival for USA
2 - Russia/Philippines/Taiwan are largely irrelevant to USA
3 - China and Russia/Philippines/Taiwan have conflicting interests
4 - Trump hangs with Russia/Philippines/Taiwan
This makes less sense now than before

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Gideon Rachman, chief foreign affairs columnist for the Financial Times, shared this excerpt from his book Easternisation.

https://twitter.com/gideonrachman/status/805016504936894464

Gideon Rachman
‏@gideonrachman
This extract from my book Easternisation gives a flavour of why Trump's Taiwan phone call is so potentially dangerous

But Trump's just telling it like it is, bucking the establishment, giving China the finger, and/or leading the moral charge towards an independent Taiwan like the champion of human rights he is. How could he be wrong, really, when everything he does is wrong??

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Taiwan acts as an independent sovereign nation.

China for the most part does not care provided that what they view as a renegade province is not legitimised formally.

The world generally accepts this compromise to both maintain a stable region and diplomatic relations with a global superpower.

Relations are for the most part pretty good.

Welcome to a complex world.

I'd throw in the rest of the world also needs China to help keep North Korea in check.

I don't think madman theory should be used in domestic policy, but it sure as hell can work in foreign policy. Khrushchev, like many dictators, bet on the tendency of the west to ignore conflict in the interest of 'stability'. He brought the world to the brink of war by trying to bring nuclear warheads to Cuba, and Kennedy took the problem seriously enough to diffuse a situation that would almost certainly have gotten a lot worse had he done nothing.

By everything I've read, Kennedy was the cool head in the situation who diffused the situation. If he had listened to Curtis LeMay, like Trump probably would, we'd have nuclear weapons being used. Something to think about, the President is usually the one that deliberates the issue the most because he realized the gravity of the situation, now Trump is the least likely person in the room to do so.

bluethree

well, that's reassuring.

So ehm, that whole 'EC' business, is it too late to consider they might actually decide to go 'oh fuck' and just not elect Trump? 15 days left till the actual vote, if I recall.

i sometimes google news on "faithless electors" on the faint hope that the EC electors will do the right thing. pretty much not gonna happen though.

I apologize for being hasty as I did not know you are from Taiwan.

You asked if I knew anything about Taiwan and I supplied where my reasoning comes from. You exclaimed I knew nothing about Taiwan which is untrue. While you are correct I was wrong in throwing out one true China, which I apologize to you for as I was rather angry when I wrote that and didn't check to see if Taiwan's stance had changed in modern times, the matter still remains that by being called The Republic of China they will still be recognized in some capacity as China. It's right there in the name. While again, you are right that Taiwan may not care that there will be two Chinas, you are also right that China does, and they are the one we have to worry about.

Also, as someone from Taiwan though I ask for your opinion. Do you think Trump and his cabinet has the tactical finesse to handle how China will respond to such actions by rocking the boat? I ask because I want to know from someone who would be most affected by such matters. As I noted earlier I do hope someday you guys become fully recognized as a separate nation, but I have severe doubts Trump and his admin are prepared to handle such a situation. But since you guys I suspect would handle the brunt of the fall out I would like to hear your thoughts. Do you want him to start to push?
The days of Chiang's authoritarian rule are over, the idea that we are legitimate and PRC illegitimate gone with him & son. Having China in the name does confuse people, it's like reverse-Newspeak, we couldn't fully distance away from "China". The word is in KMT's name, on our passports, companies that used to be state-run...It's hard to explain to foreign people in conversations, and some people here have identity crisis. Now, 73% of the people here identify as Taiwanese instead of Chinese, compared to the 44% 20 years ago, I would say because of the lack of state propaganda, and KMT's ironic PRC friendly policies (Chiang is probably spinning in his grave).

I don't believe we'll get international recognition in Trump's term. He may be doing this for his hotel(s) and his supporters' hostility against China. But I don't think we'll get international recognition while swept under a rug. The phone call hurt China's precious feelings, but it brought Taiwan under global spotlight, people's awareness of our situation is raised. China is not going to start a war over a phone call, heck, they deescalated the situation themselves by calling it a trick (giving POTUS a way out). Someone pushing China's comfort zone is not a bad thing. The way I see it, Trump has just found a button he could continuously push to reliably gain support and the reactions he wanted, it's now up to his staff to keep him from pushing it too frequently or at all.

TheFuzz

He didn't intend to do this... but I 100% am okay with this. Treating Taiwan like shit to appease a country that needs us as much as China is silly.

WAAAAY down the list of dumb Trump stuff IMO.

Kid Heart

The days of Chiang's authoritarian rule are over, the idea that we are legitimate and PRC illegitimate gone with him & son. Having China in the name does confuse people, it's like reverse-Newspeak, we couldn't fully distance away from "China". The word is in KMT's name, on our passports, companies that used to be state-run...It's hard to explain to foreign people in conversations, and some people here have identity crisis. Now, 73% of the people here identify as Taiwanese instead of Chinese, compared to the 44% 20 years ago, I would say because of the lack of state propaganda, and KMT's ironic PRC friendly policies (Chiang is probably spinning in his grave).

I don't believe we'll get international recognition in Trump's term. He may be doing this for his hotel(s) and his supporters' hostility against China. But I don't think we'll get international recognition while swept under a rug. The phone call hurt China's precious feelings, but it brought Taiwan under global spotlight, people's awareness of our situation is raised. China is not going to start a war over a phone call, heck, they deescalated the situation themselves by calling it a trick (giving POTUS a way out). Someone pushing China's comfort zone is not a bad thing. The way I see it, Trump has just found a button he could continuously push to reliably gain support and the reactions he wanted, it's now up to his staff to keep him from pushing it too frequently or at all.

Thanks for responding, as I appreciate your insight into the matter since you would know more about Taiwan's current political climate then I do.

While I agree your right that China wont go to war over a phone call, it still worries me about how much thought Trump put into the maneuver. I read that he was briefed on the situation before the call, but I'm not sure he understood the impact such an act would have. Trump's staff is also mostly made up of people who kiss up to him, so in that respect I'm not sure he will have the necessary people to push back on some of his more reckless tendencies later on once Obama moves out and can no longer cover for him.

We'll see shortly I suppose how things work out. If this move ends up working out for the better then I can't really complain. Honestly, I just want everyone to make it out OK in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom