• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump: Same-Sex Marriage is "Fine", “It was settled in the Supreme Court."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox Mulder

This is all it took for some of ya'll? An individual who has consistently shown his word to be meaningless, whose actions as President-elect have already undermined any professed support for the LGBT community, and this is all it took?

Ken Blackwell as top domestic policy advisor, Steve Bannon as chief strategist, Mike Pence as VP, and ya'll are ready to rest assured because of fucking 60 Minutes.

I feared liberals would roll over, but I didn't expect it to be this easy and this early.

It's sad seeing him accepted.

I hoped millennials finally had a reason to get off their asses. We deserve Trump.

Maxim726X

This is all it took for some of ya'll? An individual who has consistently shown his word to be meaningless, whose actions as President-elect have already undermined any professed support for the LGBT community, and this is all it took?

Ken Blackwell as top domestic policy advisor, Steve Bannon as chief strategist, Mike Pence as VP, and ya'll are ready to rest assured because of fucking 60 Minutes?

I feared liberals would roll over, but I didn't expect it to be this easy and this early.

I agree with this to an extent, but they work for him. They've been his loyal lapdogs for a year now so I see no reason why this would change. He just proved that he doesn't need the party or anyone else, for that matter. Ultimately, though they may try to persuade him, he's in charge.

Either he's a narcissistic blowhard or he isn't. It's not their party anymore, it's Trump's party. At least for the next few months.

BeesEight

All I am saying guys is you should give him a chance. at least a hundred days to see how he will govern.

All you're saying is that we should wait until the damage is done until we start being critical?

He confirmed over the last couple of days he was still going to remove all of Obama's executive orders. He doesn't give a rat's ass about SSM and he's certainly not going to be an ally in regards to defending against bigotry and providing more rights for trans individuals.

But please, sell me more on this wall.

This is why nobody trusts bisexuals

/s lol

I chuckled.

Pick a side! We're at war!

Ms.Galaxy

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's Pro-LGBT, but I don't believe is Anti-LGBT like many republicans would be, which is why I don't see him working to dismantle gay rights

He has promised to sign a law that opens up legal discrimination of the LGBT community under the false pretence of "Religious Freedom". That means you can have people literally refuse to serve you if you're gay, bi, or trans both in private and public business. Do you understand how disastrous that is. That means you can have people in the state refusing to give gay people their marriage licence, you can have doctors refuse to perform emergency care to gay people. That's not hyperbole, the way the bill is written opens up for complete and total legal discrimination of the LGBT community.

If Trump is for this, and he is, then no, he's just as against the LGBT community as every single Republican leader.

“It’s law,” he said in an interview with CBS’ ‘60 Minutes’ that aired Sunday. “It was settled in the Supreme Court. I mean it’s done.”

“These cases have gone to the Supreme Court. They’ve been settled. And I’m – I’m fine with that,” he added.

I don't think Pro-life trump supporters have acknowledge that same argument with Roe v Wade for the last 43 years lol.

kamakazi5

My hope since last week has been that he will ignore most social issues and just focus on the economy and related stuff instead. I don't honestly care if he screws the economy up as long as we can keep social issues out of the firing line.

Edit: I understand that some will likely fall but this is at least a sliver of hope that it won't be open season.

Beefy

supporter and all I care about is jobs and immigration. Don't care what else he does as long as he doesn't have my race picking cotton and getting the whip or take away our rights. The problem is Trump has been shown support for the LGBT community but the other side just didn't care so this isn't really new to his supporters. The liberal media just brainwashed ppl to think he has a problem with them.

nintchdbpict000278685419.jpg

Naive post.

I agree with this to an extent, but they work for him.

Cool. And what does it say about his support for LGBT rights that he appointed them to leadership positions in his administration?

But, please, continue to lend more credence to a proven liar's single statement on 60 Minutes than to his actions less than a week after the election.

It's sad that all this guy has to do to stifle dissent is speak out of the other side of his mouth and wave a flag around. The dude spent his first days as President-elect appointing some of the most virulently anti-LGBT lunatics I can think of to leadership positions in his administration, and people can still be fooled. Unreal.

mnannola

I truly believe that Trump doesn't give a shit about these types of social issues, and would rather move on to things he is interested in, such as trade, taxes and health care.

Thing is, he is surrounding himself with people that DO care about these social issues, and won't just drop it because "it's law". If Pence starts asking Trump to head up some Religious Freedom task force Trump will probably agree as long as Trump doesn't have to be involved. This is when shit will start hitting the fan.

styl3s

On the subject of overturning gay marriage legalization: “I would strongly consider that, yes,” he said in a January Fox News interview.
But then the speech me made after being elected he said he supports the LBGTQ. Of course he had to make some hard right statements to get elected.

Maxim726X

Cool. And what does it say about his support for LGBT rights that he appointed them to leadership positions in his administration?

But, please, continue to lend more credence to a proven liar's single statement on 60 Minutes than to his actions less than a week after the election.

And what have his opinions been for most of his adult life?

We're already reading that most of his rhetoric was bullshit, and he knew it. There will be no deportation force. There will likely be no wall. He *may* make some alterations to the Iran Nuclear deal but won't back out.

We have no idea what he's actually going to do.

Breads

Banned

Ken Blackwell as top domestic policy advisor, Steve Bannon as chief strategist, Mike Pence as VP, and ya'll are ready to rest assured because of fucking 60 Minutes?

What an unproductive sentiment. Who are you even talking about. You're blanket statement virtue signalling does nothing but elevate yourself at the expense of others.

If you see someone waffling then call them out directly. Don't drag everyone else down just to get cool points.

Cromat

You could always tell that these socially conservative issues just don't interest him at all. He was just doing it to get the votes of old school religious republicans.

stuminus3

I'm not sure why we tend to put LGBT rights on the same level as abortion. Sure they are the top 2 social issues but the implications are way different. LBGT community having rights doesn't hurt anyone and is only really opposable on a religious level. Abortion is literally a debate about ending a life and has serious implications on basic human ethics, not just religion.
This is the problem with everything being so binary, "left" or "right". LGBT rights are as clear cut as can be to me - people should be treated equally, full stop. I really struggle with the abortion discussion though.

Doesn't matter what Trump says.

Once he picks anti-LGBT/anti-abortion SCOTUS Judges, THEY will decide.

He'll have no say in it after those Judges are sworn in. He already said he wants "Scalia-style" judges, aka, Conservatives.

So, he's just bullshitting unless he actually nominates more liberal judges.

Instro

Marriage being legal doesn't mean he will do anything about discrimination though. I bet he will allow states to do whatever they want.

And what have his opinions been for most of his adult life?

We're already reading that most of his rhetoric was bullshit, and he knew it. There will be no deportation force. There will likely be no wall. He *may* make some alterations to the Iran Nuclear deal but won't back out.

We have no idea what he's actually going to do.

Except that's not accurate. We can look at the things he's already done. He has appointed Ken Blackwell to be his top domestic policy advisor. He has appointed Steve Bannon to be his chief strategist. I understand that these individuals work for him. But what do these actions say about his professed support for the LGBT community? Words don't mean much when you've already undermined them through action.

Maxim726X

"Trump was totally lying about X, but he's totally honest about Y."

We have no idea what his actual positions are. That's what made his presidency so dangerous.

The same could be said of any candidate, but because we have no history to judge him on it's impossible to know what he's going to do.

RPGCrazied

He'll have no say in it after those Judges are sworn in. He already said he wants "Scalia-style" judges, aka, Conservatives.

Pretty much, if he nominates Garland, I might change a tad on Trump, but I don't see that happening.

Fox Mulder

You could always tell that these socially conservative issues just don't interest him at all. He was just doing it to get the votes of old school religious republicans.

So he lied about some things, but can be trusted on others. Even as he stacks his cabinet with true believers and they control congress as well?

Maxim726X

He's from New York. So this could be very likely. In 2008 he praised Hillary and condemned Bush.

Right. So ultimately, the question is this- Is he going to give in to his advisors and push the Conservative agenda? Or is he going to thumb his nose up at the party like he has from the very beginning?

He owes them no favors.

Kibbles

Didn't he say during a Republican debate or town hall that he was for neutral bathrooms? Or did he flip flop on that too again?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Even apart from the fact that Trump says whatever anyone wants to hear, it's meaningless if he supports the republicans turning the supreme court ultra conservative with two appointments.

The hate groups will draft their lawsuits, try to push them up to SCOTUS, and there you go.

With Obergfell v. Hodges, which was a Supreme Court case, there's only two ways it could be overturned.

1. A second Supreme Court case arguing that gay marriage is illegal on the grounds of the constitution, which even if Trump puts in a new justice, won't matter because Kennedy (the deciding vote) can't go back on what he said in the first case. This will only change if Ginsburg retires as well and Trump puts in another justice to fully sway the balance of the court. And even if it does happen, it will revert to states rights, meaning it will still be law in 50%+ of the country.

2. Far more dangerous is a constitutional amendment, which is nigh-impossible to overturn. Fortunately, it cannot happen in the first two years of Trump's presidency, BUT if the Republicans get a Senate supermajority (which they only need 8-9 seats to do) and 75% of state governors go Red in two years, they can.

Maxim726X

Didn't he say during a Republican debate or town hall that he was for neutral bathrooms? Or did he flip flop on that too again?

He said whatever the crowd wanted to hear wherever he was.

I don't remember him flip-flopping on that issue, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if he did at some point.

masud

Banned
I don't get why people are doubting this. The man has no morals, that includes the bullshit Christian ones. He may not be an ally to homosexuals but with no religious imperative why would he care if they got married?

.JayZii

Banned
Wouldn't it be interesting if he just continued all of Obama's policies and everyone was okay with it. I wonder what the X factor would be in that situation...

I don't get why people are doubting this. The man has no morals, that includes the bullshit Christian ones. He may not be an ally to homosexuals but with no religious imperative why would he care if they got married?

They're doubtful because his cabinet choices reflect a clear stance no matter what words come out of his mouth. And without a solid stance on his part, those people have an insane amount of power to sway him in the direction of "Christian, family ideals"

What an unproductive sentiment. Who are you even talking about. You're blanket statement virtue signalling does nothing but elevate yourself at the expense of others.

If you see someone waffling then call them out directly. Don't drag everyone else down just to get cool points.

I'm not sure what you took my post to mean, but I assure you my intention isn't to drag anyone down. I apologize if condescension was the main takeaway. There are numerous posts in this thread and others using Trump's post-election double-speak as an opportunity to reassure themselves that, "See, he won't be that bad," when his actions already demonstrate a worrying trend in the opposite direction. This is a sentiment that breeds complacency, normalizes the disgusting actions of Trump throughout his campaign, and ignores the actions he has already taken that stand in stark contrast to the words these individuals take for reassurance. It's a complacency that underestimated him in the first place, and it's disturbing to see it take root so quickly.

A lot of republicans actually agree wholeheartedly with the state-by-state rulings on abortion. Was talking to my father in law about this who is a staunch republican Fox News watcher, and he says the normal reasoning is that a state like Alabama would have a totally different ratio of pro-lifers than a state like California so it's unfair to make a sweeping nationwide decision on something like that.

Toxi

Banned
2. Far more dangerous is a constitutional amendment, which is nigh-impossible to overturn. Fortunately, it cannot happen in the first two years of Trump's presidency, BUT if the Republicans get a Senate supermajority (which they only need 8-9 seats to do) and 75% of state governors go Red in two years, they can.
Well isn't that horrifying.

NimbusD

It's sad seeing him accepted.

I hoped millennials finally had a reason to get off their asses. We deserve Trump.
What a fucking low bar.

This is what I'm afraid of, he doesn't absolutely destroy the country and people wind up thinking hey he's not that bad!

A lot of republicans actually agree wholeheartedly with the state-by-state rulings on abortion. Was talking to my father in law about this who is a staunch republican Fox News watcher, and he says the normal reasoning is that a state like Alabama would have a totally different ratio of pro-lifers than a state like California so it's unfair to make a sweeping nationwide decision on something like that.

By that logic - no gay people would be allowed to marry in Alabama. Nor would blacks.

stuminus3

He said people should be free to use whichever restroom they feel is appropriate for them and that neutral bathrooms would be too expensive for business to implement. IIRC this was one of the hills Ted Cruz chose to die on.

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/fir...eople-should-use-the-bathroom-they-want/?_r=0

Interesting that he points out the damage North Carolina did to themselves.

Fox Mulder

There's a reason why civil rights have to be forced upon everyone. Can't have states saying something like interracial marriage is now illegal because they have a higher ratio of racists than others.

Fuck me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom