• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump takes shots at Kaepernick, ‘Get that son of a bitch off the field’

They talked about this a bit on NFL network. Faulk, Irvin, Mooch, and Warner were all on the same page in liking what the players were doing. Warner said he thinks this will also be a turning point in showing more people that this was never about disrespecting the flag and was always about fighting for equality.

I'm out of the loop, were Irvin and Faulk in support of kaep the same way Sharpe was?

Rex is full of shit and is just trying to save face. That being said, it's still good to see people that supported Trump come out against him. That's really what we need to keep happening.

Oh shit!

Yep. The more celebrities that turn on him, the more it'll help let the average Trump voter feel like they can do the same. I don't care if they never admit they were wrong to vote for his platform, so long as they admit he's an awful president.

Are y'all looking at the Steelers not participating in the anthem as a good thing? I just assumed it was a decision from above in the organization to keep them from being able to protest.

Genuinely curious, what's the intent here?

Are y'all looking at the Steelers not participating in the anthem as a good thing? I just assumed it was a decision from above in the organization to keep them from being able to protest.

It's clearly a protest. If they were being forced to stay in the locker room we'd know about it.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Has this been posted?

Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shad Khan linked arms with players during anthem at Wembley today in response to Pres Trump comments.https://twitter.com/richard_conway/status/911968164539502593

Statement:

Linking arms while standing doesn't work for me either optically or metaphorically. To me that action pulls everyone back to their feet and even those who want to kneel can't while linking arms. So now they have to stand for the anthem or not show solidarity with those demonstrating "togetherness". If you don't kneel or sit you are just part of wanting to maintain the status quo.

Ogodei

That was kind of my thought, too. If they're not out there, then nobody can take a knee and have it be all over the news in the hickier parts of the Steelers' media market.

I'd see it as more of a compromise solution, allowing the players to register their protest but without singling any player out.

It's still a good thing, but not the going-the-extra-mile step that some think, possibly?

I think it's a bit of a cop out but also is a stronger message than doing nothing.

The_Shepherd

Neo Member
I'm shocked the Steelers would actually skip the anthem entirely especially with Villanueva on the team. Good for them I was expecting them to just lock arms and stand especially after Rooney's statement on the subject, if you can even call it that.

I'm shocked the Steelers would actually skip the anthem entirely especially with Villanueva on the team. Good for them I was expecting them to just lock arms and stand especially after Rooney's statement on the subject, if you can even call it that.

QUOTE=RPGCrazied;249845937]Is the steelers game tonight? I want to watch at least the first half. Who are they playing?

It's at 1 and they play the Bears in Chicago[/QUOTE]

I wonder if this is more Tomlin than Rooney

Also the Penguins statement on this left a sour taste in my mouth. I was expecting more from the teams after the way the mayor stood up.

RDreamer

In a world where we think kneeling is somehow deemed a big fuck you to the flag/troops/patriotism, isn't not participating at all, as an entire team, kind of an even bigger thing?

I mean maybe they're thinking like you, but I'm not sure I can see it that way.

That was kind of my thought, too. If they're not out there, then nobody can take a knee and have it be all over the news in the hickier parts of the Steelers' media market.

I'd see it as more of a compromise solution, allowing the players to register their protest but without singling any player out.

It's still a good thing, but not the going-the-extra-mile step that some think, possibly?

I think it's a bit of a cop out but also is a stronger message than doing nothing.

These are bad takes. Think of the optics of showing the anthem being played without a single Steeler on the sideline.

Boke1879

Where do you guys get what is an acceptable form.of protest rubric from? I don't think y'all know what it means to "patriots" for people to forgo the national anthem

Yup. Not being out there at all is going to piss a lot of people off. I mean I don't know what went on internally, but what can you really do if the team goes out and players take a knee? The most you can do is fine them.

mike6467

Where do you guys get what is an acceptable form.of protest rubric from? I don't think y'all know what it means to "patriots" for people to forgo the national anthem

I can see the narrative spun that ownership kept the players out because they didn't deserve the "privilege" to be on the field if they were going to protest.

Jerm411

Live look in at Pittsburgh....

39831379cec23f34e7338114b15e7b2334165c7c_hq.gif

Fuck you Trump....

TS-08

You don't think the fact that the entire Steelers team stayed in the locker room during the national anthem will be seen as an even bigger sign of "disrespect" to the people who don't like these protests than someone who is on the field but kneels? These teams are always on the field for the anthem. Not going out there will be seen as an entire team snubbing the anthem as a whole. Although I agree it may be a compromise to avoid images of specific players kneeling, I don't see how this doesn't feel like an even stronger message to those who hate these protests.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
...NFL attendance and ratings are WAY DOWN. Boring games yes, but many stay away because they love our country. League should back U.S.

His obsession with ratings is crazy. And funny how anything that he is against is always failing.

Jombie

This is probably Trump's most Hitler-esque moment yet. I'm glad those in the business are actively telling him to go fuck himself.

These are bad takes. Think of the optics of showing the anthem being played without a single Steeler on the sideline.

That's a good point. The people getting upset at this are so fragile that even if it were supposed to be a "neutral" move, they wouldn't interpret it that way haha

I can see the narrative spun that ownership kept the players out because they didn't deserve the "privilege" to be on the field if they were going to protest.

Stop being afraid of narratives. We still have people calling this administration, master strategists. People will create whatever narrative they want

Top Bottom