• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump to Propose Deep Cuts to Anti-Poverty Programs and Medicaid

HotHamBoy

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/...ep-cuts-to-anti-poverty-programs-and-medicaid

President Donald Trump plans to propose $1.7 trillion in cuts to a category of spending that includes major social and entitlement programs for lower-income Americans, as part of an effort to balance the budget within a decade.

The White House will issue a formal budget request Tuesday that includes $274 billion in cuts over 10 years to means-tested anti-poverty programs, including food stamps, according to a Republican congressional aide and a White House document obtained by Bloomberg News.

The administration has prepared talking points for Republicans on Capitol Hill touting that the “budget strives to replace dependency with the dignity of work through welfare reform efforts.”

The upcoming budget request for fiscal 2018, which include dropping the top individual tax rate to 35 percent, is already attracting criticism from Democrats. Trump’s proposal will also call for $800 billion in cuts to Medicaid, the health program for the poor, the Washington Post reported.

“This budget continues to reveal President Trump’s true colors: His populist campaign rhetoric was just a Trojan horse to execute long-held, hard-right policies that benefit the ultra-wealthy at the expense of the middle class,” Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer said in a statement Sunday.

During the presidential campaign, Trump promised not to cut Social Security, Medicare or Medicaid. He has already broken that promise on Medicaid by backing cuts to the program called for under the Obamacare repeal bill passed by the House on May 4. The White House has said that the president intends in his budget to keep his pledge on Medicare benefits and Social Security retirement benefits.

Trump is proposing to cut $193 billion from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, commonly known as food stamps, over the next decade. The cuts, which would amount to an approximate 25 percent reduction, would be achieved in part by limiting eligibility for food stamps and by requiring work, according to the document.

Spending on the Earned Income Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit would also be reduced by $40 billion, in part by requiring proof that recipients are authorized to work in the U.S. Traditional welfare payments, known as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, would be cut by $21 billion.

More at the link.

i-Lo

I guess "you'll have to work harder and stop being lazy" y'know by the "bootstraps" and all; that Murican motto. And remember to stay healthy. Go to the gym.... or don't cause you all are like "batteries".

Steejee

You know you've gone overboard on your 'Fuck the Poor' platform when the GOP in Congress basically laugh off your budget proposals (using the 'We appreciated his input, but Congress writes the budget' type lines)

entremet

Forget Trump for a second, this has been the GOP agenda since the mid-nineties. Destroy the social safety net and let charities do the heavy lifting.

They won't touch SS and Medicare since seniors vote reliably.

Pure evil.

Please someone do an interview with poor Trump supports.
"People gotta pull themselves up by their bootstraps and work! Food stamp program is a program for the lazy!!!"

-This interview was conducted in Alabama with a woman who was at the local food store buying food for her 4 children with her food stamp card.

tbm24

This budget just continues to become more cartoonishly evil. I expect another press conference where Mulvaney tries to say these programs don't work.

BigDug13

Outside of the Medicaid stuff. All that other stuff is money that flows back into the economy. Welfare is money that is used to consume. Food stamps are a currency used to consume. This is removing money from consumer spending and actively hurts businesses. This kind of shit hurts the economy.

We can pay money to corn farmers not to grow corn which could have been used to feed others, but can't pay money to poor people to spend that money on foods from businesses. Shits so backwards.

Forget Trump for a second, this has been the GOP agenda since the mid-nineties. Destroy the social safety net and let charities do the heavy lifting.

This. The Republicans love this because they get to push their agenda, and then hang the blowback on Trump....

What an interesting thing for him to do as his biggest turnout from a voting perspective was from people over the age of 45, who would be most impacted by the Medicaid cuts. Everyone else was pretty strongly on the other side.

I don't think they realize that it's more than just political power that they are going to be losing if they manage to push through everything they want.

WedgeX

Banned
Jackasses.

His voters on Medicaid hear blackaid.

"He's not going to cut my medicaid, just those urban people..."

5BOuq5v.gif

Watch it not pass because the house because the freedom caucus thinks it isn't screwing over the dirty poors enough.

Call your local representatives about this, at least if you live in a red district.

But some of ya'll want trump to succeed right? This isn't an example of success to me.

You're going to have a very hard time finding anyone around here who wants Trump to succeed. There's only one or two vocal Trump supporters who still post here, and they always pick and choose where and when to post to be as positive as they can be.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Bet those coal miners utilize some of these programs too. Double fucked. Bet this greatly effects a large portion of his base.

Beartruck

Good luck with that. Food stamp cuts could possibly get through, but again, medicaid is healthcare, and this is one of the republican party's largest voting blocks. People perk up really hard when you fuck with their health.

ISOM

That's why I don't understand people who vote Republican. Even if you can somehow move past Trump being one of the most vile racist candidates in history and ignore him being a shitty human being. A vote for him is a vote for Republicans enacting their idea of social welfare which means if you're not rich, good luck.

CTLance

Gotta say, with every day that this evil guy is in power, my appreciation for EU as my place of birth&residence grows. What a heartless individual.

BigDug13

That's why I don't understand people who vote Republican. Even if you can somehow move past Trump being one of the most vile racist candidates in history and ignore him being a shitty human being. A vote for him is a vote for Republicans enacting their idea of social welfare which means if you're not rich, good luck.

He's the candidate that forces people to let babies live. Babies not being killed is the single most reason for Christians to vote R.

But Medicaid cuts kill babies through poor prenatal care and inability to afford a doctor to deliver? well at least it's Trump killing babies instead of that dirty, rotten Hillary Clinton!

My wife works directly for Medicaid as an in home care nurse, so this may hit us directly.

Fuck this administration. I guess the rich need more money and they think I need less.

At the same time though my thought is "fuck medicaid" so I'm torn on all this.

"Fuck medicaid" is becauase a "system glitch" on their end has so far caused my wife to lose 4 weeks of pay. She is working for free and it's pissing us off.

Outside of the Medicaid stuff. All that other stuff is money that flows back into the economy. Welfare is money that is used to consume. Food stamps are a currency used to consume. This is removing money from consumer spending and actively hurts businesses. This kind of shit hurts the economy.

We can pay money to corn farmers not to grow corn which could have been used to feed others, but can't pay money to poor people to spend that money on foods from businesses. Shits so backwards.

I never understood why more businesses don't lobby to protect welfare programs for this very reason.

Top Bottom