• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump to Propose Deep Cuts to Anti-Poverty Programs and Medicaid

Sulik2

Now that the GOP is actively seeking to kill the poor in the United States it might be time to start taking voting in the midterms seriously everyone.

MarionCB

I'm happy I'm not in the US because frankly if something like this went through in my country I'd consider it my moral duty to join an armed rebellion against the Government. This is the financial equivalent of just going out and shooting US citizens in mass killing pograms.

The chances of any of this actually going through is very slim though, right?

Madness

He is liked by the saudis though

He also sold hundreds of billions of taxpayer funded and subsidized military hardware to the Saudis so they can continue killing shiite Yemeni civilians and rebels and so he is A-okay for a lot of the Republicans who hate Iran so much.

Can't wait for the poor white sap who voted for Trump and depends on medicaid to have his coverage cut.

Entitlement reform is needed, as is balancing the budget, these deficits are unsustainable. But how the fuck can you sit there and talk about cutting wasteful spending and yet increase an already bloated military budget by $53 billion this year alone?

Beartruck

I'm happy I'm not in the US because frankly if something like this went through in my country I'd consider it my moral duty to join an armed rebellion against the Government. This is the financial equivalent of just going out and shooting US citizens in mass killing pograms.

They would piss off basically everyone, but if they really wanted to, nobody could stop them from forcing it through. I put odds low. Trump and Ryan will try to force it but moderate republicans will be scared of losing their seats.

If you want to cut funding from welfare programs, you should cut from programs from the elderly, not the poor. All the spending the old get will bankrupt the government eventually if nothing is done.

commedieu

Banned

Lol. Americans can't revolt or even agree on the "right" form of protesting. Hell. Half the nation thinks blocking traffic is a mortal sin and it's unacceptable to delay others with your protests.

Combine that with a lethal police force that will gladly crack the heads of people protesting wall Street stealing all their money. As the rest of the population cheers it on because "hippies" and you see exactly how this will continue. As long as it's technically legal, things will continue this death spiral.

Rootbeer

Banned
Huge tax cuts for the rich, followed by cutting food stamps and other services for the poor.

The Truest Measure of a Society by way of Republican values. MAGA, right?

RPGCrazied

Once again, lies. He is caught on video saying over and over again he would not cut any of these programs specially medicaid. He prided himself saying he was the only Republican that wouldn't do it.

Don't believe this man's lies.

KHlover

Banned
If you want to cut funding from welfare programs, you should cut from programs from the elderly, not the poor. All the spending the old get will bankrupt the government eventually if nothing is done.
Eldery vote, poor less so. It's why no one will ever fuck with them, not the rebublicans (I don't expect this to pass), not the democrats and also not other parties in other countries with a democracy since this is pretty much a world wide fact.

You say that as if their goal was actually to balance the budget.

Pure evil.

Please someone do an interview with poor Trump supports.
Yeah, it's harrowing that they voted against their own interests but they've been lied to and weren't to know any better. The poor and uneducated are too easily misled and the right wing in the States have become professionals at doing this. I just hope they realise that this has happened and can take action in the house/senate elections.

erragal

I never understood why more businesses don't lobby to protect welfare programs for this very reason.

Because the United states has been infected by a toxic, emotionally charged ideology rooted in capitalism' and deployed using classic behaviorist propaganda. How many times did the words ' social contract ' get mentioned during the 2016 election campaign by any of the candidates? What percentage of voters even know who Rousseau is? And forget mentioning Marx even if you have nuance as to which parts/implementation of his ideas.

We no longer even follow the social philosophies of the 18th century in spirit, much less any of the resulting progressions of those ideas. It runs parallel with the devaluing of ' liberal arts ' and social sciences as being worthless. FDR scared the fuck out of the wealthy in this country so they used the ' war hero' mentality of WW2 to reform the fabric of the US. Combined with our neo Roman war strategy(the legions must always be fighting, a bored military class is both ineffective and a potential agent of revolution) and you have a country that is on the surface reprehensible in the core tenets it represents. Strip away the neo fascist symbology of america you see plastered everywhere, the 'pax Americana ' self serving diatribes from military hardware fetishists, and what you have is an oppressive military empire attempting to bully anyone they can.

What's truly absurd about it is that the US has such an easy pivot. Just keep exporting media, enetertainment and technology. Why are the warmongers so insecure? Probably because they aren't the source of the immense creativity this country is capable of...they can't sit back and be the passengers to those filthy godless creatives. And it's unfortunate as pride, ego, and credit really are more powerful forces than ethics/morality. That's human behavior.

Madness

What a stupid comment that almost reads like a Logan's Run style of thinking. The elderly who paid their fair share of taxes, worked decades at hard labor jobs, lived through military drafts, there is a reason they get looked after the most now. You can't say it will bankrupt the goverment because of them and not the million other things you can cut. There is a reason social security never gets touched.

If you want to cut from the elderly, you have to cut from the poor as well. But the poor get their programs cut first because one, they pay far less in taxes, two, have contributed far less in social development of the country, and then three, do not vote in numbers the elderly do. Here is a radical thought, why not tax the rich instead of huge tax cuts under the false guise of bringing back jobs and still using that money to fund programs for the poor, elderly and disabled. You make it sound like being old in the US is a cakewalk with low prescription medications and ease of anything.

slit

They do it and every night on the news there will be a new story about people including children not being able to eat on a regular basis and poor adults looking so bad from lack of healthcare you'll think you're watching a Unicef commercial. That will be laid on the GOP doorstep.

They do it and every night on the news there will be a new story about people including children not being able to eat on a regular basis and poor adults looking so bad from lack of healthcare you'll think you're watching a Unicef commercial. That will be laid on the GOP doorstep.

I am very sure there will be an aggressive and extensive effort to deflect the blame somewhere else.

This will not happen. The trump budget is a wishlist that the GOP congress can ignore completely, just like Obama's budgets. https://twitter.com/jestei/status/866611365368254464

However, it's still pretty messed up and another failing of trump that he hired people who would propose this after promising during the campaign he was a "different kind of republican" who would not cut Social Security, Medicare or Medicaid. Sad to see my expectation that his campaign promises were complete lies is being proven again.

Wilsongt

You can't possibly expect a single mother of two children to pay for programs that help that poor. She would much rather pay for our military instead!

As a poor person, I'm amazed by how many people hate poor people. Like an entire party's agenda is to demonize and subjugate the poor.It Doesn't even shock me any more, it only makes me sad. Like if the Republicans proposed putting us on trains or in camps, I honestly think people would support that because they falsely think we just sit at home collecting welfare when we really actually work our asses off just to barely survive and Maybe eat.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Truly embodying the Christian ideals of faith, hope, and charity

Powerful!

slit

I am very sure there will be an aggressive and extensive effort to deflect the blame somewhere else.

It doesn't matter, of course they'll try that and the gullible will fall for it but if people start losing essential services watch how fast they get to the polls.

Maybe people will vote more responsibly next time.

There are diehard Cleveland Browns fans too.

No matter how many times the team breaks their heart, they continue rooting for them, ignoring the flaws associated with that.

Now you understand the state of the current voting climate in the United States.

rjinaz

Respect these people. It's just politics!

I can't believe the values my country has. I used to be so proud to be an American.

This will not happen. The trump budget is a wishlist that the GOP congress can ignore completely, just like Obama's budgets. https://twitter.com/jestei/status/866611365368254464

However, it's still pretty messed up and another failing of trump that he hired people who would propose this after promising during the campaign he was a "different kind of republican" who would not cut Social Security, Medicare or Medicaid. Sad to see my expectation that his campaign promises were complete lies is being proven again.

Sure but the things he is asking for line up with Republicans anyway: steal from the poor to give to the rich.

Gee whiz, I hope his supporters who voted for him thinking he will help them realize how fucking stupid they are.

If they could without consequence, dont you think they would have already?

No, I think it'd have been a slow boil, say...over about 37 years.

You need your misinformation, your disinformation, your slow crawl into full power, and millions of people ready to defend you when many millions more want to hang you by the ankles from the streetlights in DC and let the pigeons pick at you -- better than you deserve.

So now we have Red Cap Trumpists, Republicans that want to destroy the welfare state,
for ideological reasons, Republicans that want to destroy it to line their own pockets, Republicans that want to destroy it for liberal tears, and Republicans that really, honestly want to be shot -- again, better than they deserve.

This cannot continue. These cuts are not just drastic cuts for the poor, they're drastic cuts for businesses. SNAP alone is at a 1.8x multiplier -- this benefits more than just grocers. Farmers DO actually depend on the subsidies that have been guaranteed to go with SNAP benefits.
Americans are three missed meals from killing people for food or profit. Medicare and Medicaid cuts will kill people.

And then the rest will come for the politicians. Anger is at a fever pitch -- I fully expect assassination attempts over this. People are already getting arrested for getting rough with congresspeople.

Codeblue

I thought the removal of loan forgiveness for public service was going to hurt access to care, but this is going to take it to another level.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I thought the removal of loan forgiveness for public service was going to hurt access to care, but this is going to take it to another level.

My last hope is that Congress saves PSLF.

Cut the Earned Income and Child Tax Credits and people will immediately notice and it will be hell to pay. People who may be too "proud" to sign up for Medicaid or Food Stamps often rely on the EIC to cover many of their yearly bills.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
They want to make it so the poor are forced to turn to crime just to survive. Then you need more privately owned prisons to hold them. Cage the poor and make money while doing it. The GOP dream

mackattk

Outside of the Medicaid stuff. All that other stuff is money that flows back into the economy. Welfare is money that is used to consume. Food stamps are a currency used to consume. This is removing money from consumer spending and actively hurts businesses. This kind of shit hurts the economy.

We can pay money to corn farmers not to grow corn which could have been used to feed others, but can't pay money to poor people to spend that money on foods from businesses. Shits so backwards.

Yup, I am sure there are grocery stores that rely heavily on people using food stamps, WIC, and any other social program. Especially the stores in poor towns where a large part of the population are on welfare. Food stamps dry up, stores don't make any money, store closes... now what?

numble

The GOP Congress routinely ignored a President that was a Democrat.

The GOP Congress may be less likely ignore a GOP President. Not saying he will get everything he wishes for, but its not a comparable situation.

They want to make it so the poor are forced to turn to crime just to survive. Then you need more privately owned prisons to hold them. Cage the poor and make money while doing it. The GOP dream

And as an added bonus, the incarcerated can't vote!

Top Bottom