• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump: US 'locked and loaded' on N Korea

TeddyBoy

I thought Trump blinked first yesterday, but it looks like escalation is still happening.

It's official, we live in the Command and Conquer universe now.

At least we've got the buildings now:

20170523_170523-nnhq.jpg

NATO's new headquarters.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Dude is an idiot why does GAF thinks we are going to war lol not even his general takes him seriously. People here needs to stop exaggerating.

Keasar

Welp, always thought a nuclear winter would be an interesting way for humanity to go out...

Dude is an idiot why does GAF thinks we are going to war lol not even his general takes him seriously. People here needs to stop exaggerating.

Because he keeps poking the crazy, propaganda raised asshole in North Korea who's generals DOES take him seriously and now has nuclear weapons putting everyone at risk.

Lol. That's not even remotely true. Shoddy work by the normally reliable BBC.

Well, yes and no. North Korea have stated they're finalising plans to launch missiles near Guam, supposedly by the middle of the month. The thing is, none of that actually means they will attack, and North Korean state propaganda is itself a rather unreliable thing when it comes to saber rattling.

I'm betting Trump merely assumes the US military is fully prepared though, rather than has actually talked to Mattis and co.

Aurongel

People on GAF falling for Trump's rhetoric makes it clear how much of a positive effect this will have with boosting the morale of Trump's supporters.
As evidenced by this thread and the others, this proves just how effective his empty saber rattling is. It's also a nice distraction from our domestic issues.

TeddyBoy

Dont forget, trump cant start a war by himself. he needs the approval on congress

Does the President not have special powers that were granted after 9/11 that he could potentially use?

(I might have misread something on this and this may have already been revoked).

Boke1879

While I don't think anything will happen. All bets are off. NK will continue to provoke Trump just to see how he responds.

Also the rest of the world is watching. Trump making these statements is completely irresponsible. Another hostile force could do exactly what NK is doing and maybe success knowing Trump is all talk.

Shauni

People on GAF falling for Trump's rhetoric makes it clear how much of a positive effect this will have with boosting the morale of Trump's supporters.

Not particularly. A lot of his hardcore alt-right supporters hated when he bombed Syria since they are almost all hardcore isolationists and don't want the US to be involved in any international affair, and one of the approval polls had the vast majority of people saying they didn't think Donald Trump would handle a war well. I forget the exact numbers, but I know it exceeded his overall approval/disapproval rating.

While there will be a very vocal subset of people who pump their fists at this type of stuff, the majority of people don't want a war, especially now that NK is nuclear equipped. The failures of Iraq and Afghanistan are still relatively fresh as well.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Dont forget, trump cant start a war by himself. he needs the approval on congress

Doesn't he need congress to deploy additional assets, but can use the one already deployed as he sees fit? I thought that what Obamada did with his drone raids.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Sigh. This is such a terrible situation. Our president is someone who's always lived a lavish and entitled life and who, by all accounts, has never faced any serious repercussions nor has ever been shown to have empathy. Now he leads the most influential country in the world with nuclear weapons at his fingertips and to no one's surprise, he uses Twitter to dish out threats of nuclear annihilation to North Korea because he has no concept of consequence.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim

As unfortunate as it is, he CAN still do any number of things that would instigate a war, and at that point, Congress would obviously have no choice, lest the peninsula be overrun.

My Unit had a recall today :'v also a training event is coming up where everyone in Korea is basically in lockdown, have to be in uniform and can't drink for the next couple of weeks. Shit is gonna suck.
At least I got to skip 5 mile run PT.

Waldini

What the actual fuck is Trump doing?
Starting a war with North Korea? Just to show he has a bigger dick than Kim-Jong?

Kim should get on Twitter so we can have a social media war between Trump and Kim. But this time they both have nukes to make it more exciting.

EVOL 100%

My Unit had a recall today :'v also a training event is coming up where everyone in Korea is basically in lockdown, have to be in uniform and can't drink for the next couple of weeks. Shit is gonna suck.
If you're allowed to talk about this, was this training scheduled beforehand?

jdstorm

Banned
Turns out giving the guy who made a living saying "You're fired" the nuclear launch codes was a really bad idea.

Oriel

Dude, you scared the shit out of me until I read your post. For that split second, I was not at all surprised Trump announced this over Twitter.

I was half tempted to just post it on its own without anything else. Collective trouser evacuation time.

Fake edit: hmm, probably better update that post.

massoluk

Banned
I bet Trump is very popular over there

UberTag

So when war with NK doesn't actually happen does deluded Trump get to brag about how he defeated Kim Jong Un via his massive threats of Twitter intimidation, declare that America is greater than it has ever been before and hold a parade in Washington where he gets to ride around in a tank?

Cake Boss

Banned

Stop with the hyperbowl guys. Everything is going to be just fiiiiiinnneeeee

Lombax

Banned
I choose to focus on the part of the tweet that says
Hopefully Kim Jong Un will find another path!

Alarmist GAF has now helped me decide that its time to take a long break from Off-Topic.

Top Bottom