• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trumpcare (Obamacare repeal) may be law within days. This could be the final stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alphahawk

Do you know why those four won't vote for it?

It's because it's not "conservative" enough.

I fail to see why that's an issue. Fact is they're voting no. If they try to change it, more modern republicans will vote no. It's a scary time, yes, but it's in a death spiral.

Beartruck

As a Canadian who lurks a lot of the Political threads here, I am confused how people went from laughing at Trump's failure to kill Obamacare a few months back to this. If the Republicans basically have infinite retries to get their healthcare reforms through, why were many people so confident a few months back?

They don't have infinite tries. I they don't pass it before the july 4th recess they'll probably never have another chance before they ramp up for the 2018 midterms, and if democrats get back the house in 2018 (very possible), it'll never get through. It's do or die. Or in this instance, die and let other people die.

If you are looking for a silver lining to AHCA (if it passes) there is one. It's slight, but it is there.

This will absolutely destroy red states. AHCA shifts much of the responsibility of health care to the states (making up the Medicaid gap, choosing whether or not to punish those with pre-existing conditions, etc.). State lawmakers that have been able to point to Washington for any pain their constituents feel will have to own this. It may be enough to shatter some red state R majorities. Crucially important as focusing on the states this last decade -- especially 2010 census year -- was a major reason for Trump. State-level Rs taking a hit pre-2020 means more D-favorable (even if neutral -- as it SHOULD be -- it'll be D-favorable) districts. That will help ensure a blue wave at the federal level.

The other way this will destroy red states is that we'll see a migration of people from red to blue states. Sadly, many of the most affected won't be able to move as it is expensive. It'll be the young, the middle-class, etc. This'll devastate the tax base of red states. Companies relocating may shun red states. It'll be a net gain for blue states -- more tax revenue to fund Medicaid, etc. And, in time, it'll be an electoral vote gain for blue states, many of which have been losing EVs.

Again, it's a slight silver lining in all of this. It'll take a decade or more and countless people will suffer (needlessly!) due to this. A damn shame, all around. =(

Eegah

Wait. Do I get free cancer screenings now? I had to pay over $600 for the last time I had a CT scan of a lump.

That would not be considered a screening test because the lump was known prior to the scan, it would be a diagnostic test. Screening tests are the paps, colonoscopies, mammograms, chest CTs, etc that are looking for cancer in people that are asymptomatic.

shem935

Banned
As a Canadian who lurks a lot of the Political threads here, I am confused how people went from laughing at Trump's failure to kill Obamacare a few months back to this. If the Republicans basically have infinite retries to get their healthcare reforms through, why were many people so confident a few months back?

They were confident Hillary was going to be President too.

The reality is that GAF is a political inverse, everything GAF is confident about the opposite will happen with a 100% success rate.

GAF is confident the Democrats will retake the House in 2018. Let's see how that one goes!

Misconception. Republicans have since changed rules to allow for them to pass this bill through reconciliation via 51 votes. What's consistent in all of these incorrect predictions by GAF people is that they assume that the GOP aren't actually as depraved as they are. So now that we are all disabused of that notion I think it's fair that people thought this bill wasn't going anywhere before. Once it got past the House I don't think anyone was saying the bill had no chance, and if they were they're dumb.

akira28

Can't even get a free meal.

That's why they were so heavy on privatizing the prisons. Punitive charges for literally everything above the barest minimum of human survival. Gotta pay for your hospital visits. In jail. You have a co-pay. And they still charge the taxpayers more per prisoner yearly, than if the prisoners were living on their own and going to a good college. Prison complex is printing money made out of human bodies and misery.

Jesus christ, i cant even imagine paying for health care. I reaaly hope this doesnt go through. I have family that loves over there in the USA.

Single payer definitely benefits most Americans. But I don't think causing pain in the middle class is the way to get it done.

Perhaps one of the establishments should just put an electable person up for election that believes -and will fight for- single payer. We had that chance this past election but stuff happened.

Even better we need a politician willing to wipe an entire industry off the map.

Agreed, that could work. However, historically, it requires a middle class push to generally get change. I'm willing to take that hit if we end up at a better place as a nation. The middle class can better absorb that hit than the poor as well.

Ray Down

Banned
Even if a lot won't take place till 2020 like the medi cuts, shit will still happen.

Hospitals will close, insurance rates will continue to grow and leave, prices will keep rising, etc. That will hit red states especially the ones that went for Trump the hardest will experience the worse.

Healthcare will be the hot topic next election.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
People don't want this. Neither Democrat, nor Republican voters.

But they're doing it anyway.

The vast majority of Americans do not want this, but a majority of voting Republicans DO want this and those are the only people that matter right now.

sangreal

Early next week... I would assume Monday. Which will leave no time for the invariably shitty score to take too and grow in the media.

The GOP doesn't care anyway. They just want to check the "Obamacare repeal" box and get their tax cuts. They're banking on fawning conservative media coverage for successful repeal regardless of the details

Republican voters want this, don't give me that bullshit. They voted for this. It's not like they were misled, Republicans never hid what they wanted to do.

It is...really unpopular

Yeah we all know this thing is going to pass.

Well this isn't the House version (Senate redid everything) so it has to pass the Senate and then go through the House again

The pessimist in me says it'll pass through after they whip the votes, but considering they completely fucking failed on it the first time in the House, I'm not sure it's going to be a smooth thing. I'm also 70/30 on the thought process the House version got passed entirely to say 'hey we got the bill past the House' and the Senate thing will also be DOA. Basically kicking the can forward to pretend something is happening.

If you are looking for a silver lining to AHCA (if it passes) there is one. It's slight, but it is there.

This will absolutely destroy red states. AHCA shifts much of the responsibility of health care to the states (making up the Medicaid gap, choosing whether or not to punish those with pre-existing conditions, etc.). State lawmakers that have been able to point to Washington for any pain their constituents feel will have to own this. It may be enough to shatter some red state R majorities. Crucially important as focusing on the states this last decade -- especially 2010 census year -- was a major reason for Trump. State-level Rs taking a hit pre-2020 means more D-favorable (even if neutral -- as it SHOULD be -- it'll be D-favorable) districts. That will help ensure a blue wave at the federal level.

The other way this will destroy red states is that we'll see a migration of people from red to blue states. Sadly, many of the most affected won't be able to move as it is expensive. It'll be the young, the middle-class, etc. This'll devastate the tax base of red states. Companies relocating may shun red states. It'll be a net gain for blue states -- more tax revenue to fund Medicaid, etc. And, in time, it'll be an electoral vote gain for blue states, many of which have been losing EVs.

Again, it's a slight silver lining in all of this. It'll take a decade or more and countless people will suffer (needlessly!) due to this. A damn shame, all around. =(

I'm pretty sure if this passes, it'll be a few years before it takes affect. By then, the Democrats will get the blame if they were the ones in power, thus allowing Republicans to run things again.

Ekai

The vast majority of Americans do not want this, but a majority of voting Republicans DO want this and those are the only people that matter right now.

I mean, again, all polling indicates that most GOP voters don't even want this.

They did during the election but are now finally realizing they don't.

Brinbe

You had a good run, America... Pretty apparent that the GOP got what it wanted. Broke government and the rich have won. Unless you're rich, white, male I don't see how you can feel like you're wanted/included.

Unfortunately, not enough people give a shit, so this thing will pass with nary a peep, and millions will get screwed or just die.

Republican voters want this, don't give me that bullshit. They voted for this. It's not like they were misled, Republicans never hid what they wanted to do.
To get technical, they wanted something better than Obamacare, and were promised something not only better, but more universal and cheaper ta boot.

And as in so many cases they started paying to the realities inherent in getting what they wanted after they voted.

This is a massively unpopular bill, and those pushing for it behind closed doors know that.

Pedrito

Rich Republicans yes. Working class Republicans not really, but it was still worth it if it meant sticking it to the coastal elites/brown people.

The only bill that was more unpopular than this was probably TARP and even then it might just be a draw. But that was an emergency situation, I don't know what they're thinking here.

cdyhybrid

Rich Republicans yes. Working class Republicans not really, but they want to stick it to the coastal elites/brown people even if it means declaring bankruptcy because of a health issue.
No, all Republicans. Stop giving people a pass, it's been clear what they've wanted to do for years.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I'm a bit confused. Before I left for work tonight, it seemed like this would not actually pass. Did something change?

Koomaster

What about the millions that don't want this? Those with pre existing conditions and those on Medicaid? Because fuck them right?
You're asking to stop a runaway train with someone's bare hands. It's too late; and some people are getting left out in the cold on this. I mean, at a certain point you have to face facts and reality and go from there. My view is let it get as bad as it needs to till people change their minds.Healthcare is just one bit of a larger chunk of problems with our society. Things need to change in a lot of areas and that's not going to happen if people are comfortable and surviving. That's the point we are at now.

Orayn

I'm a bit confused. Before I left for work tonight, it seemed like this would not actually pass. Did something change?

There are still a handful of Republicans "opposed to it" but they're completely spineless and amoral and it won't last more than a day or two.

Technically no. But I think people are finally getting that the GOP have no morals and they will fall in line as usual in the end. I'm 80% sure they'll get the votes even if it requires Pence casting the tiebreaker.

House already is signaling they'll pass it as is as soon as it passes the Senate.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
There should be Women's March sized protests against this. They were smart to go the cloak and dagger route.

There's no need to call anyone because both Washington state Senators are Democrats who are already voting no anyways.
It would still be good to urge them to obstruct and slow down the procedure as much as possible. People say it won't matter to the end result, but the actions you take (or don't take) along the way still matter.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Only thing I can think of having any effect would be for massive sit in protests at the state capitals of as many red states as possible.

Marching in Washington clearly doesn't do Jack shit since it can easily be hand waved away as deep state insiders from a majority Democrat district. Need to shut down the places these fuckers are from for this to have any impact.

Kelsdesu

I for one want this to pass simply to see republican voters perform mental judo and explain why things are still great for the Country even though they lost their job (a job that was probably making them sick) and now their healthcare as they know it doesnt work for them because of pre-existing conditions.

So I live in New Jersey, both my Senators are Democrats and I call my R representative every time something comes up (rarely if ever get a response)

What should I be doing?

And Donald Trump will never be president. The guy won't even make it pass the primaries.

So I live in New Jersey, both my Senators are Democrats and I call my R representative every time something comes up (rarely if ever get a response)

What should I be doing?

Call them to obstruct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom