• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump's debt limit deal with Dems likely to lead to DACA becoming law at end of year

Schuemer, goat.

Schumer got in and a say on all major legislation with this deal?

And the dems weren't bluffing, they're digging in and making the repubs show there hand

Trouble

Banned
Hopefully the left can shut the fuck up about Schumer and Pelosi now. We need cutthroat politicians out there in the fray, not beacons of purity who will accomplish nothing.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Schuemer, goat.

Schumer got in and a say on all major legislation with this deal?

And the dems weren't bluffing, they're digging in and making the repubs show there hand

Schumer isn't playing six dimensional chess any more than his opponent is. It's just one of those rare moments where Trump's incompetence is more complete than we could have hoped for.

Toxi

Banned
It might be the case that Trump supports DACA (as do most Americans) but wanted to placate his extremist base that he made promises to in removing the program.
Just like he supports the ACA, the Paris Climate Agreement, and the Russian Investigation.

Even if he changes his mind this doesn't hurt Democrats since they gave him nothing.

It could if they're clapping in meetings and doing victory laps in the media. People ought to do that after everything is set in stone and passes Congress so they don't risk looking foolish. That would be the sensible way to handle things in my view.

Narroo

Huh, I think I know what happened: Reports have been saying that Trump wanted an out on DACA, that he's a moron that didn't know what he was doing.

This is his out.

He might be trying to force Republicans to write acceptable DACA legislation by giving leverage to the Democrats who will do it. If this is the case, and that's a big IF, it would be the first mildly smart thing he's done since taking office. Of course he just backstabbed the Republican party in a major way a year before midterms, so this might backfire later on. Also, the entire DACA debacle is a crises of his own creation for no reason.

Let's see what happens!

Shauni

Even if Trump goes back on this, it's not like the Democrats lose anything, and it'll be easy to frame it as Trump backtracking (which is nothing new). I mean, it's truly amazing how after everything we've seen this guy do some of you think he's 4D chessing this. It's obvious just a petty slight at a party that he feels isn't as supportive of him as he wants, and the Dems played that card well. They have literally nothing to lose in this situation

JettDash

It could if they're clapping in meetings and doing victory laps in the media. People ought to do that after everything is set in stone and passes Congress so they don't risk looking foolish. That would be the sensible way to handle things in my view.

Democrats aren't saying they will definitely get DACA passed and even if they don't, they still don't lose anything because they didn't give up anything.

In no way is this a trap for Democrats.

Kthulhu

Certainly Planned Parenthood, which is something the Republican base, Republican leadership, and Trump all agree on.

Considering the fact that the Dems will be supporting anti-abortion house candidates this time around I wouldn't be surprised if this actually happened.

MrMephistoX

Can't stand the guy but if this type of deal making leads to progressive agenda getting somewhat passed I'm all for it. Cut more deals with democrats. If I were Schumer I would milk Trump for all he's worth...funding for the wall in exchange for stabilizing Obamacare seems like a small price to pay considering construction will outlast his one term in office. Hell stall and convince him drones are a better idea...at least they can be re-purposes after he's gone.

Blader

If this is the deal of the century, then the next 80 years of legislation are going to be pretty tepid.

Don't get me wrong, it was a great gambit by Schumer/Pelosi (and a hilarious immediate concession from Trump), but we're not exactly all the way on protecting DACA yet.

studyguy

https://twitter.com/LouDobbs/status/905578866730815488

I don't think I can laugh hard enough at this segment and just how much this deal is fucking with the GOP's head atm.

GOP gets reamed, turns around and blasts Paul Ryan for Trump 'Getting a deal done" with the Democrats, completely ignoring that he capitulated entirely and that the GOP congress failed to help Trump.

It's fucking crazy.

Huh, I think I know what happened: Reports have been saying that Trump wanted an out on DACA, that he's a moron that didn't know what he was doing.

This is his out.

He might be trying to force Republicans to write acceptable DACA legislation by giving leverage to the Democrats who will do it. If this is the case, and that's a big IF, it would be the first mildly smart thing he's done since taking office. Of course he just backstabbed the Republican party in a major way a year before midterms, so this might backfire later on. Also, the entire DACA debacle is a crises of his own creation for no reason.

Let's see what happens!

I think you're 100% on the money here. This DACA shit has changed the game effectively.

We just have to look at Dems not fucking shit up and holding the cards for the right time.

Look at the growing resentment of the Republican party. They are losing control of their bulldog and its biting them in the ass. If Trump likes the press with Dems then impeachment is definitely on the table.

Another interesting note, when Gorka was cast out, he said that the MAGA initiative is dead in the white house around Trump and that him and Bannon are more useful outside.

This all makes totals sense now connecting Trumps initial policy early this year! The Muslim Ban, Wall Funding, Jeff Sessions Task Force.
That was all white nationalist policy being fed. Now trump is dealing with more down to earth stuff and the people who actually make policy can get facetime and not be shut out like his old cabinet probally did.

Cerium

I don't think I can laugh hard enough at this segment and just how much this deal is fucking with the GOP's head atm.

GOP gets reamed, turns around and blasts Paul Ryan for Trump 'Getting a deal done" with the Democrats, completely ignoring that he capitulated entirely and that the GOP congress failed to help Trump.

It's fucking crazy.

That's some pretty intense spin right there.

Its weird seeing all these conservative personalities adopting Trumps speaking patterns and name calling style, shits so surreal

If DACA becomes legislation while he's in office, he can parrot how he was able to make it a law unlike Obama's executive order.

holy shit he's totally going to start blatantly taking credit for a black man's public victories, isn't he?

Drifters

Trump will pump and dump. The fact that Republicans are angry about not getting first dibs to look like the heroes is disgusting.

It's fucking crazy.
I almost spit out my drink at him calling Paul Ryan a RINO and the implication that Trump - who just caved in 100% to the first offer Dems made - is a "true Republican". The party has lost its goddamn mind.

Zolo

I almost spit out my drink at him calling Paul Ryan a RINO and the implication that Trump - who just caved in 100% to the first offer Dems made - is a "true Republican". The party has lost its goddamn mind.

Trump is more popular than congress, therefore, it makes sense for Fox to pander more to those people.

Is it...4?

giphy.gif

If I could favorite a post, this would be it.

Dear conservatives: The #nevertrumps already know this, but for the slower amongst you:

Everything Trump Touches Dies

"Everything" here denotes your dignity. Enjoy.

Also: vote for the goddamn DACA bill and pay the fuck attention in Trump-Russia hearings if you ain't.

Cucked by Chuck.

I've been privately surmising that Pelosi would likely be a major designer of the upcoming financial bills given the current stopgap bill funding the fed. But this? Holy shit. Them two are like that cornerback in the Butt Fumble video. "Oh thanks!"

Trump is more popular than congress, therefore, it makes sense for Fox to pander more to those people.
Well, yes, (though Congress's approval is almost always in the shitter), but what stands out is that he's not just calling Paul Ryan out for being bad at his job, but that Ryan is not a real Republican and doesn't stand for Republican values. Trump's nomination and subsequent election basically demonstrated that his racist, xenophobic faux-populism is more, uh, popular than the "traditional" GOP platform of like, corporate tax cuts and gutting social services. Establishment GOP have to be pulling their hair out over what to do with the monster they've created.

Cerium

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/06/hill-trump-relations-242411

”A three-month debt ceiling? Why not do a daily debt ceiling?" cracked Rep. Mike Simpson (R-Idaho). ”He's the best deal-maker ever. Don't you know? I mean, he's got a book out!"

Trump's deal with Democrats doesn't appear to help Republicans at all. While it averts a fall government shutdown and a default on the nation's debt until at least December, it also emboldens Democrats to push for immigration changes or spending priorities without giving an inch to the right.

Congress will likely have to strike a major bipartisan fiscal deal in December to raise the debt ceiling long term and keep the government open for the remainder of fiscal 2018. And Republican lawmakers on both sides of the Capitol complained Wednesday that Trump probably just undercut leadership in those future negotiations, making it even harder for them to secure legislative wins.
McConnell also insisted that things have settled down after Trump's tirade of tweets criticizing the GOP leader in August over his stewardship of the chamber and singling out some of his Republican members.

”It's fine," McConnell said of his relationship with Trump. ”Everything's fine."
c4jt321.png

Pelosi has always been quite good at shepherding her caucus, the issue has been her "likability" among moderates and independents.. I've also been very impressed with Schumer's ability to keep his caucus together while also giving slack to the moderates from conservative states.

Jeels

Pelosi and Schumer aren't any better or worse than they were a month ago just because Trump is incompetent.

So what's wrong with Pelosi and Schumer?

I have to say, other then things they can't control (executive orders) they've done perfectly stalling Republican legislation so far. And there's only 4 months left.

JettDash

So what's wrong with Pelosi and Schumer?

I have to say, other then things they can't control (executive orders) they've done perfectly stalling Republican legislation so far. And there's only 4 months left.

They haven't somehow magic'd progressive legislation with a Republican President and Congress so therefore they are failures.

What if Democrats use this chance to turn Trump into a Democratic puppet. Someone so incompetent that Democrats trick into helping them.

Top Bottom