• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tweaktown: PlayStation is Developing a New Platform for Free-to-Play Mobile Games

Draugoth

Gold Member
playstation-mobile.jpg

According to a new job listing, PlayStation is developing a new platform for free-to-play mobile games. First spotted by Tweaktown, the listing is for a mobile platform architect, which reveals details on what PlayStation could be planning for its mobile platform.

Earlier this month, Xbox also revealed that it will launch its Xbox mobile store in July 2024

Source

Last edited:

yurinka

Please notice this is not their mobile game store.

It''s a backend platform (server side) for their mobile F2P infrastructure, basically to control and monitor their PS platform features integration (stuff as could be API, SDK, friend list, trophies, library, IAPs, game metrics tracking, server status metrics, etc) for (mostly mobile) F2P games.

Basically an internal app or website for them to manage and monitoring future F2P mobile games they will publish, not a mobile game store to be used by the players.

Last edited:
Please notice this is not their mobile game store. It''s a backend platform (server side) basically to control their PS platform features integrations (stuff as could be API, SDK, like friend list, trophies, library, IAPs, game metrics tracking, server status metrics, etc) for F2P games. Basically an internal app for them to manage and monitoring future F2P games they may make.
Okay, now this makes sense.

PPmvWYD.png

Oh no wonder the clickbait headline.

splattered

Don't worry guys, it's just a back end platform thing! Sony has absolutely NO interest in getting a piece of that mobile monetization pie.

I don’t mind this but it has to be done on top of your regular output. Seems like their normal output is suffering due to these distractions.

yurinka

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Hmmm I don’t see anything mentioning CLOUD specifically. PS PLUS I see but that’s not cloud and I see PC and Mobile. They have a GREAT Cloud client on PS5 now I’m really hoping this comes to PC / MAC / Tablets ASAP

yurinka

A platform for nothing then?

Free-To-Play mobile games aren't games. They are  nothing.
F2P games aren't games. They are a pink gorilla. Sure, Jan.

Hmmm I don’t see anything mentioning CLOUD specifically. PS PLUS I see but that’s not cloud and I see PC and Mobile. They have a GREAT Cloud client on PS5 now I’m really hoping this comes to PC / MAC / Tablets ASAP
This is a corporate meeting for investors about the Sony Group fiscal results, corportate strategy and forecasts that they do every year. Pretty likely won't mention their cloud unless they publicly announce there the release of the PS cloud client for mobile devices that they mentioned may times to have under development and planned to be released this generation.

The PS cloud gaming is available for PC since several years ago, it works very well.

Last edited:

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
I'm surprised that so many people don't know which is Sony's most profitable videogame IP. The name is Fate Grand Order.

Thanks to this nothing games like Lies of Pi or Stellar Blade exist. Another nothing, Wuthering Waves, is available this week on PS5 and mobiles.

Yep, someone in Playstation Studios realized that having a 40% profit is better than 10-15%. No shit. Had Sony foreseen this much sooner, they would be where Mihoyo is Today.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I don’t mind this but it has to be done on top of your regular output. Seems like their normal output is suffering due to these distractions.

Nah. Game development just takes longer than it used to and PlayStation Studios released a huge salvo from 2017 - 2020. The dry spell was a natural occurence.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Im surprised Sony took this long.

Grand Fate Order has been a huge money maker (more than any SP game multifold). It's been around since 2015 according to wiki.

Yet Sony some reason never had any other interest for mobile games when they got a gigantic one in house for 9 years.

thats the thing. The Mobile gaming market is already very well-established

you have two options:

1. Enter the market as a "savior" imposing rules to make it better
2. capitalize on it, catering to its idiosyncrasies

The mobile space is basically cancer, the amount of copycats is insane, and the predatory monetization makes Ubisoft, Activision, or 2k look like generous gods.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
F2P games aren't games. They are a pink gorilla. Sure, Jan.

This is a corporate meeting for investors about the Sony Group fiscal results, corportate strategy and forecasts that they do every year. Pretty likely won't mention their cloud unless they publicly announce there the release of the PS cloud client for mobile devices that they mentioned may times to have under development and planned to be released this generation.

The PS cloud gaming is available for PC since several years ago, it works very well.
No I mean the new version that supports ps5 games at 4k which is only on ps5 consoles currently.

Last edited:

yurinka

No I mean the new version that supports ps5 games at 4k which is only on ps5 consoles currently.
Uh sorry, I thought that shortly after launch PS5 games streaming at 4K 60fps, with HDR and 3D audio was also going to be available on PC too. But apparently is still only available on PS5.

My laptop is 1080p and I assume the few games I streamed via cloud gaming are from PS4, so I didn't notice it.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
I'm surprised that so many people don't know which is Sony's most profitable videogame IP. The name is Fate Grand Order.

Thanks to this nothing games like Lies of Pi or Stellar Blade exist. Another nothing, Wuthering Waves, is available this week on PS5 and mobiles.

Yep, someone in Playstation Studios realized that having a 40% profit is better than 10-15%. No shit. Had Sony foreseen this much sooner, they would be where Mihoyo is Today.
Im surprised Sony took this long.

Grand Fate Order has been a huge money maker (more than any SP game multifold). It's been around since 2015 according to wiki.

Yet Sony some reason never had any other interest for mobile games when they got a gigantic one in house for 9 years.
You're now introduced to the weirdest part of modern PlayStation history.
NtkkDxl.png

Established on April 2016 (at the same time SCE became SIE), ForwardWorks was SIE's mobile publishing arm directed at the Japanese market, as most of its output wasn't released in the West (some were through external publishers in the US).
They released games from July 2017 to June 2021, and while most of them were based on established SIE franchises (Wild ARMs, No Heroes Allowed!), they also had new IPs (Sora to Umi no Aida, Nyorokko) and licensed some of them, even (Strike Witches, Final Fantasy).
Stuff didn't go as expected, and they were ultimately sold to SMEJ, sister company of SIE, in August 2021.
Everybody's Golf and Disgaea RPG are their only games still running to this very day.
uE55yOX.png

vVUOqBf.png
XifevfK.png
XxJbWw3.jpeg
EbcTlRJ.jpeg
Q2QJHA4.jpeg
W653QJb.jpeg
zJKKlc9.jpeg
mUKbJGz.jpeg
9tp5xzG.jpeg

gtrq4sL.jpeg

Top Bottom