• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I caved and saw episodes 3 and 4 earlier in the week. Love it all but I'm too lazy to discuss on mobile with spoiler bars haha, so after tonight I'll just drop my impressions.

Gotta say though, there's a scene in episode 4 involving a new character that is one of the funniest things i've seen in a minute lol. I almost choked on my drink when the character came into frame.

curious what this thread thinks of it when the rest of the people watching it live get to this.

My problems with FWWM were the hammy acting, and how that clashed with some of what I perceived as Laura's characterization in the show. I always got the impression that she was better at hiding how fucked up she was.

Something I've got really mixed feelings on is Laura's final moments in the train car. I'm a squeamish softy, so I don't know if I could have handled it being more explicit, but at the same time, I felt like it was very restrained for how in-your-face the rest of the movie was.

HotHamBoy

My problems with FWWM were the hammy acting, and how that clashed with some of what I perceived as Laura's characterization in the show. I always got the impression that she was better at hiding how fucked up she was.

Something I've got really mixed feelings on is Laura's final moments in the train car. I'm a squeamish softy, so I don't know if I could have handled it being more explicit, but at the same time, I felt like it was very restrained for how in-your-face the rest of the movie was.

The acting is in-line with the show. Laura was better at hiding how fucked up she was but right at the end she was unraveling. They talk about how troubled she seemed before she died in the show.

LoveCake

I have just watched Ep 1 & 2 that I recorded last week, I watched the original series one and two when they were first on TV (here in the UK) and I watched Fire Walk With Me on release also, I have not watched any since and I am struggling to remember :/

Everything is just vague to me, these Ep 1 & 2 have left me more than confused, if that's possible, I don't know if I am going to be able to get into it again.

I caved and saw episodes 3 and 4 earlier in the week. Love it all but I'm too lazy to discuss on mobile with spoiler bars haha, so after tonight I'll just drop my impressions.

Gotta say though, there's a scene in episode 4 involving a new character that is one of the funniest things i've seen in a minute lol. I almost choked on my drink when the character came into frame.

curious what this thread thinks of it when the rest of the people watching it live get to this.

Episode 4 is just funny, period. I'm still giggling to myself over
Wally's scene, and Cole/Albert in the car
a week later.

grumpy

Don't know why I thought it was a good idea (wasn't) to go check 4chan to read up impressions from the residents of the internet's toilet, but this image is pretty funny.

Spoilers for EP2

NzYLols.jpg

Just finished watching episode 4. Reading all the comments here sort of makes me feel like I'm in a parallel universe, but if everyone's comparing it to their favourite Lynch films and listing them all in order, I totally get it.

As someone who's really "just" a Twin Peaks fan rather than a Lynch fan, so far it doesn't do a lot for me. Lynch is free to create his abstract masterpiece, but if it calls itself Twin Peaks while lacking most of the things that made Twin Peaks appealing in the first place, it's hard not to feel cheated.

Also, Evil Cooper's wig and whole demeanour are too ridiculous to take seriously.

But hey, there are still 14 more episodes to go. I'm invested in the plot now (such as it is), and it is very visually arresting, and every brief tease of the original cast has me begging for more. Maybe it'll grow on me.

I've only watched episodes 1-2 but it feels more like FWWM rather than the original Twin Peaks. My mind just wonders how the original show would've been if they put it on something like a HBO or Showtime back then. It has also upped the "what the fuck" factor way more than I expected. It's almost difficult to follow along the Black Lodge segments.

When first watching Twin Peaks a couple years back, it took a while for me to know what to make of it. The pilot was throwing all kinds of information and characters at the viewer. The place where the tone really clicked for me was "Give me a donut."
LDWEXay.gif

This season is also starting off with all sorts of new characters and information, but even crazier and more intense. But (currently watching episode 3) the part so far that tells me that tone I liked isn't gone is
"It's not about the bunnies! ... Is it about the bunnies?"

Ah, I see Cooper's found himself in the realm of Ivan Ooze while attempting to recreate the Stargate sequence from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Goddamnit, I love David Lynch.

I thought it did a great job of exploring Laura as a character and humanizing her. She's so important to the show, but we only ever really feel for her based on other people's sorrow. It might not feel as crucial since like you said it's not really anything new in terms of plot, but as a character story I think it's pretty powerful.

But I like the idea of a crucial character who we never actually meet, who we only know through the way that character affected others. We get to make a mosaic of her. That ethereal aspect is lost once we get flashbacks.

But I like the idea of a crucial character who we never actually meet, who we only know through the way that character affected others. We get to make a mosaic of her. That ethereal aspect is lost once we get flashbacks.
I like FWWM but I agree with your assessment. The backstory/prequel was not necessary thanks to how the original series handled Laura's life as you outlined above.

I just love the Deer Meadow stuff in FWWM; surprised how much that "side story" appealed to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom