• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levito

Banned
Any fellow Canadian fans here watching on CraveTV? Seriously never heard of this service until I found out it was the only legit place to stream the new episodes in Canada.

Yessir. Ep 5 on June 4th!

God I'm so thirsty for me why can't it be Sunday already.

nded

I think a lot about how Margaret, and Carl Rod, and Major Briggs, were pure of heart, but Coop was not. Perhaps because Coop was involved in infidelity. We know him to be a good person of high moral character... but we know he wasn't pure of heart, if we presume Hawk's speech about the lodge to be accurate.

And they *did* include that in the 3 minute recap showtime put out to get people up to speed for the new series. We have to presume Margaret, Carl and Garland all faced their shadow selves right?

Doesn't Hawk say that every spirit must pass through the Black Lodge on the way to perfection? If you face the Black Lodge with imperfect courage you are annihilated like I assume happened to Windom Earle, but Cooper seems to have withstood it for 25 years. You're supposed to confront your shadow self, but it seems BOB decided to throw a wrench in that process for 25 years by setting doppelcoop loose in the meatworld instead.

orava

4lUMClx.gif

jon_i634

Banned
Finally caught up with Parts 3/4! Still a fantastic show. Lynch/Frost are fitting a lot of stuff into these episodes, it's hard to remember what all happens in an episode. Loved the beginning of Part 3, that was pure Eraserhead with the odd industrial setting. Lynch is still a master at creating a mood out of sound and background noise.

Also, Gordon's "Fix your hearts or die" line in Part 4 was the best!

Wensih

I'm ambivalent about this. It's more of an homage to Lynch's filmography than an homage and successor of Twin Peaks. It's lost sight of the strong characters that accentuated the original and is focusing almost solely on the supernatural transcendental elements that was sprinkled into the original to give it mystery and an eerieness. Expanding that element onto the world stage also removes the uniqueness of the town of Twin Peaks. It's rough watching because there are hints and gleams of the original. Interactions between Lucy, Hawk and Andy bring back the quirkiness of the original, and this isn't to say new characters cannot bring back this charm, but a lot of them have no purpose other than to be killed as of now. The 3rd episode in particular made me think it was an an imitation of a Guy Maddin film, which is such an odd thing to say about Lynch's work, typically others are the imitators not Lynch.

Audioboxer

I am sort of stressing a little bit about the Blu-Ray release.

If it doesn't have both versions of Part 1 and 2 and Part 3 and 4 I am going to be upset.

I presume we'll have the same thing with 17 and 18 too. I'm definitely enjoying them more as two hour long pieces. It's really interesting to me that there are these slightly different edits already.

I just hope to heck the physical release offers BOTH versions.

Wait what? Different versions? Do you just mean the episodes are properly joined together or are there additional scenes?

Also, can't wait for episode 5. Mainly to see if it calms down the crazy a bit.

hydruxo

I'm ambivalent about this. It's more of an homage to Lynch's filmography than an homage and successor of Twin Peaks. It's lost sight of the strong characters that accentuated the original and is focusing almost solely on the supernatural transcendental elements that was sprinkled into the original to give it mystery and an eerieness. Expanding that element onto the world stage also removes the uniqueness of the town of Twin Peaks. It's rough watching because there are hints and gleams of the original. Interactions between Lucy, Hawk and Andy bring back the quirkiness of the original, and this isn't to say new characters cannot bring back this charm, but a lot of them have no purpose other than to be killed as of now. The 3rd episode in particular made me think it was an an imitation of a Guy Maddin film, which is such an odd thing to say about Lynch's work, typically others are the imitators not Lynch.

We're 4 episodes in, give it time. Still 14 episodes to go and Lynch has said that it's essentially an 18 hour film. Episode 4 already showed signs of shifting back to some more of the old Twin Peaks feel.

We're 4 episodes in, give it time. Still 14 episodes to go and Lynch has said that it's essentially an 18 hour film. Episode 4 already showed signs of shifting back to some more of the old Twin Peaks feel.

Speaking as someone who is definitely going to watch all 18 episodes and happily judge it as a whole after the fact:

One hour of "not Twin Peaks" before going back to something resembling the original series would have been an interesting gambit. Three and a half hours is self-indulgent and excessive. (That's assuming the next episode even stays in Twin Peaks territory.)

Lynch is asking an awful lot from any audience member who loved Twin Peaks and wanted more of that, yet isn't wholly on board with his brand of crazy. Clearly plenty of people are wholly on board, which is great for them.

hydruxo

I really don't think this is ever going to shift into being like 'the old twin peaks'

Nobody said it's going to suddenly shift into full on old 90s Twin Peaks. All I'm saying is episode 4 had more of the humor and Twin Peaks vibe than the first 3 episodes did, and I'm sure that'll continue to come through as it progresses (along with the supernatural and abstractness we've seen as well). It's pretty clear that Lynch went head first with the supernatural shit in the first 3 eps because well, what else do you do when your main character is stuck in the Black Lodge at the end of the last season? Wouldn't make sense if they didn't double down it.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
This came in the mail today

KjEut1el.jpg

It's pretty clear that Lynch went head first with the supernatural shit in the first 3 eps because well, what else do you do when your main character is stuck in the Black Lodge at the end of the last season?

There are countless other ways to follow up on the ending of the original series.

If the show had been renewed for a third season back in the 90s, do you think the start of season 3 would have been remotely like this?

There are countless other ways to follow up on the ending of the original series.

If the show had been renewed for a third season back in the 90s, do you think the start of season 3 would have been remotely like this?
Do you think the doppelganger stuff would have been wrapped up in a couple of episodes? I don't. The rumour always was that Major Briggs was supposed to go into the lodge to rescue Coop.

Wensih

Nobody said it's going to suddenly shift into full on old 90s Twin Peaks. All I'm saying is episode 4 had more of the humor and Twin Peaks vibe than the first 3 episodes did, and I'm sure that'll continue to come through as it progresses (along with the supernatural and abstractness we've seen as well). It's pretty clear that Lynch went head first with the supernatural shit in the first 3 eps because well, what else do you do when your main character is stuck in the Black Lodge at the end of the last season? Wouldn't make sense if they didn't double down it.

While I think the extreme emphasis and show of hand of the supernatural elements are a detriment of the first three episodes, I think the bigger issue is the scope and scale of the supernatural elements that is no longer contained to a sleepy misty logging town in Washington, but is now spread throughout America.

While I think the extreme emphasis and show of hand of the supernatural elements are a detriment of the first three episodes, I think the bigger issue is the scope and scale of the supernatural elements that is no longer contained to a sleepy misty logging town in Washington, but is now spread throughout America.

Why is that actually a problem though?

I am sort of stressing a little bit about the Blu-Ray release.

If it doesn't have both versions of Part 1 and 2 and Part 3 and 4 I am going to be upset.

I presume we'll have the same thing with 17 and 18 too. I'm definitely enjoying them more as two hour long pieces. It's really interesting to me that there are these slightly different edits already.

I just hope to heck the physical release offers BOTH versions.

Wait, was 3 & 4 broadcast as a continuous piece like 1 & 2? I caved and watched the episodes on the Showtime website, and it felt like each episode had finality to it, with Bang Bang Bar bookends on each episode (something Part 1 doesn't have).

But yeah, I hope that the physical version has options. Hell the Blu-Ray for the show/movie has options for each episode: With or Without Log Lady intro or "International" or normal Pilot, with and Without Log Lady Intro.

Wensih

Why is that actually a problem though?

It's created a fractured format where no one place or character is important. The new characters that have been introduced have mostly be fodder, and the uniqueness that was the town of Twin Peaks has been diminished and in a way demistified.

I feel you.. I remain a bit mixed so far

Do you think the doppelganger stuff would have been wrapped up in a couple of episodes? I don't. The rumour always was that Major Briggs was supposed to go into the lodge to rescue Coop.

However long it took to resolve, I think it would have been one of many subplots taking place in Twin Peaks alongside the other subplots about the townspeople of Twin Peaks.

Yes there are infinite ways to make a sequel to anything. Of course. The difference is, this is Lynch/Frost telling us exactly what they want to tell us. Why should they consider what someone else may want from the show? I just don't understand fans that question the artists', the people that created the show in the first place, understanding of their own work. You don't have to like it, but that doesn't make what they are doing wrong.

We can't play the what if game. There is no way to answer those questions. But we do know they took ideas from that time and incorporated them in the show.

Bronx-Man

Banned
If we're talking about missed opportunities in the original, I just wanna say screw Annie and screw John Wheeler. Those dorks got in the way of the OTP the show spent two seasons building up to, Audrey and Cooper.

If we're talking about missed opportunities in the original, I just wanna say screw Annie and screw John Wheeler. Those dorks got in the way of the OTP the show spent two seasons building up to, Audrey and Cooper.

Kyle Maclachlan shut that shit down because his girlfriend at the time was upset about it

It's created a fractured format where no one place or character is important. The new characters that have been introduced have mostly be fodder, and the uniqueness that was the town of Twin Peaks has been diminished and in a way demistified.

It's only fractured relative to the original series, not so much compared to many other modern television dramas. By episode four we're really only following three sets of characters through three different locations.

Wensih

It's only fractured relative to the original series, not so much compared to many other modern television dramas. By episode four we're really only following three sets of characters through three different locations.

And up to that point we were following Dark Cooper and his gang, a New York student in a high rise facility tending to a mysterious box, Cooper moving through various planes of existence, moments to Harken back that yes the various characters in Twin Peaks are still around, a second Cooper doppelgänger in a desert town with a hit squad after him, the FBI headquarters, and an amnesiac apartment tenant who has a dead neighbor which then implicates a high school principle and a mysterious handyman?

Sure episode 4 is following three characters in three locations, but ep 1-3 have been a whirlwind of characters and locations.

And again it's not the fact that these new characters are new and that I take umbrage with that. I understand and expect new characters to be introduced, but almost all the new characters have died and the globetrotting aspect of it really eliminates the aspect of Twin Peaks being a tight knit community of characters.

Yes there are infinite ways to make a sequel to anything. Of course. The difference is, this is Lynch/Frost telling us exactly what they want to tell us. Why should they consider what someone else may want from the show? I just don't understand fans that question the artists', the people that created the show in the first place, understanding of their own work. You don't have to like it, but that doesn't make what they are doing wrong.

Well, I certainly agree with the part I've bolded.

I'll never understand fans that subscribe to some kind of holy auteur theory. Artists are flawed human beings and can make bad art that doesn't live up to their other work. Works of art deserve to be criticised from all angles, including the angle that (arguably!) the artist produced a widely heralded work of art, misjudged what was interesting about it, then years later made a follow-up that betrayed the foundations it was built on.

This new series is interesting and I'm sure very creatively satisfying for Mr Lynch and Mr Frost, but from an outside perspective it doesn't have a whole lot to do with Twin Peaks, the small-town soap opera with a supernatural twist.

That's fine as long as you didn't especially want the sequel to Twin Peaks that was advertised.

We can't play the what if game. There is no way to answer those questions.

Man, it seems so strange that you think a TV show discussion thread isn't supposed to have "what ifs". Isn't that the bread and butter of TV show discussions? "This season's not as good as the last season", "I wish they hadn't done storyline X with character Y", etc. etc. It's certainly what I was looking for in a discussion thread.

Anyway, I wasn't really playing the what-if game. I was asking a rhetorical question - obviously the hypothetical season 3 created at the time wouldn't have been much like the show they've made now. It goes without saying, and it's naive to think otherwise. (If nothing else, they had a cast and sets they had to use. You don't just get to junk those on network TV.)

...And I was only saying that in service of a larger point, which is that the way the new series started was just one of many ways to continue the story. It happens to be one I thought was a poor choice. Personal opinions and all that.

Wait, was 3 & 4 broadcast as a continuous piece like 1 & 2? I caved and watched the episodes on the Showtime website, and it felt like each episode had finality to it, with Bang Bang Bar bookends on each episode (something Part 1 doesn't have).

But yeah, I hope that the physical version has options. Hell the Blu-Ray for the show/movie has options for each episode: With or Without Log Lady intro or "International" or normal Pilot, with and Without Log Lady Intro.
Yeah 3 and 4 aired as a feature length thing.

New interview with Kyle at EW discussing his multiple roles in the new season

What did you make of Cooper's dark doppelgänger when you first encountered him in the script or when David and Mark told you about him?

I felt challenged, immediately. When we met initially, David said, ”We're doing Twin Peaks, I need Cooper, are you in?" And I said yes — that's a no-brainer — and then he said, ”Well, there will be a few other things, too," and he didn't go into great detail about the ”other things" that I would be doing that I can remember. But when I read it, I went, ”Oh, wow, okay." I was nervous, but I was — and am — also incredibly humbled that David would give me this opportunity to play a character that is so unlike me and anything I've done, that he believes in my ability enough to trust me to do it. Because he's got no choice! He's got me! I'm Cooper! But that he has the trust that it would work meant a lot. I still didn't know if it would work until I saw it the other night. I mean, I remember the filming of it, I remember feeling pretty good about it, but to actually see it, and see if it was successful, I was really pleased.

How did you construct the look and tone of this Dirty Cooper?

I remember in the early stages, I said to David, initially out of my own insecurity, that I thought one thing that would help would be black contacts for the eyes. I had seen it done before, used to make it feel like there was an entity in there, behind the eyes. I ran it by him. I half expected him to say no, we don't need that, but he said that might be good. So we tried a variety of contacts, from very dark to not so much and different styles. I kept asking David, ”Is this taking you out of the process, is it taking you out of the journey of this character?" And he said no, it's working great. It looks like there's a darkness there, but you're not completely sure. Everything about him is dark. My skin is mottled, my hair is greasy and kind of long. You know how Javier Bardem did it in No Country for Old Men, where he had that very specific look, where he was almost angelic, but in a demonic kind of way? We wanted something that was like that, but not too over the top. No long scraggily hair, for example. This is kind of coiffed in an awkward way. That was an important part of the look, as well. We found all these elements separately and it worked. It was a great process. I don't usually get to do that.

And obviously, we're supposed to be getting a hint of demon BOB in there, right?

Oh, yeah. Yeah.

How about the wardrobe, the shirt and jacket?

That was David. We tried a few different ones before we found the one we really liked. We went through some jewelry options that were all discarded and rightfully so. Simple is always better. It's always about finding the character without cluttering the character. In my mind, you want to put in just enough salt. You want to come up from underneath him and stop just when you find him and not go any further. Knowing when to stop is really important.

You also lower your voice, and while we get intensity, even interest in the game of staying alive and in the world, you don't play his evil with much joy for it.

Yes, I thought there should be gravity there, there should be stillness there. Rhythmically, he should be different, different on so many levels. I tend to be a little more animated in real life and when I work, and Cooper is certainly animated in life and my work. This guy doesn't have any of that. He is there to be served.

How do you conceptualize a character like this in your head? Do you think of him as a human being? A demon? An idea?

He's a shark. There's no remorse, there's no happiness, there's that quality when the shark is feeding and relishing it, the frenzy — the inhaling of someone's soul — that's him. He, for me, was real, insofar as being a living thing. But it was more about playing his force, his energy, his will. Those were the things that I hung onto, as opposed to making him real. He goes to places I haven't been much as an actor. There was a thing I did several years ago called Where the Day Takes You (1992), where I was a drug dealer. This character is kind of in that direction, but it was a long, long time ago, so this was a new place for me to go. Thank god it did. I remember thinking, if I'm going to go someplace new, who better to take me there as a director than David? Because I know I am going to be completely protected and cared for. And that's great for me as an actor I don't have to self-monitor.

He touches on Dougie and Droolcoop as well, worth a read!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

That was a very interesting interview, this was my favorite bit (which was right at the end):

Agent Cooper is back on Earth, but he's not yet the Cooper we know. Can you describe a bit how you make sense of this Cooper?
This is a guy that is a child — not even a child, a baby, who has the focus and the capability of a baby. So if something is interesting to him, all his focus and attention is on that object for as long as it's there or until something else gets his attention. Everything is new for this character. Just the exercise of it was fun, and finding the funny quirky moments, too. And to play with tempo — how long can you play something out? And that plays into one of the things that David is so brilliant at, which is rhythm. Rhythm and tempo. So it was just great playing in that space and style that he does.

There's that moment in part 4 when Cooper takes the drink of coffee, and I thought maybe, in that moment, his mind would come rushing back.
Yeah, I thought that too. It's going to be interesting to see how that tension plays out and how the audience responds to it. I was thinking about this and how people are responding to it right now — there is just so much more to come! Each time, each part, there's going to be such new stuff. And people will go back and start to put the pieces together, they'll start assembling this story. It's unlike anything I've seen before on TV.

Kyle certainly makes it sound like 'Baby' Cooper won't be around for too much longer and that extended scenes with him are completely the intent, and seems he's excited for us to see what's coming up and suggest to pick up on things that start to connect.

Flipyap

What was it like to act with talking trees in the Red Room scenes?
I had no idea. It was an X on the curtain. The first time I saw the trees was when I saw it on screen at the premiere.

Was there a description in the script?
No. it was just a voice. I don’t think there was even any dialogue. Yeah, that was odd.
This is kinda dumb and I think it might be a case where Lynch's secretive direction hurt the show. You could tell that the actors had no idea what was supposed to be happening in the red room scenes which had Kyle MacLachlan and Sheryl Lee reacting to and wildly gesticulating at an X on the curtain.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
This is kinda dumb and I think it might be a case where Lynch's secretive direction hurt the show. You could tell that the actors had no idea what was supposed to be happening in the red room scenes which had Kyle MacLachlan and Sheryl Lee reacting to and wildly gesticulating at an X on the curtain.

I don't really think it's an issue as Lynch directs in a way that's more about mood than about specifics anyways, he usually gives the actors enough to work with while not giving them everything about it. It's interesting to watch some making of videos by Lynch as he describes scenes to actors or actors who talk about working with him. Many love working with him but they're almost never given more than they need to know to be able to do the scene, but he does create an atmosphere that's fun and safe to work in and experiment with things.

I actually had read another interview recently with the actress who played Tracy who mentioned this as well, the scene where the thing in the box kills them there was just an X she mentioned as well they were reacting scared to. Lynch did actually give them a description of what was attacking them, but there was nothing actually there of course. She also mentioned that what ended up in the final cut was different than what was described to them, but she likes the final cut better than what was described. She mentioned when working with a director like Lynch you just sometimes have to trust these things mean more on a bigger scale, her exact mention was in the death scene there she is just sitting around naked and being blasted with a hose of blood and wondering how this will fit in the grand scheme of things, but she's very happy with how it turned out.

Flipyap

I don't really think it's an issue as Lynch directs in a way that's more about mood than about specifics anyways, he usually gives the actors enough to work with while not giving them everything about it. It's interesting to watch some making of videos by Lynch as he describes scenes to actors or actors who talk about working with him. Many love working with him but they're almost never given more than they need to know to be able to do the scene, but he does create an atmosphere that's fun and safe to work in and experiment with things.

I actually had read another interview recently with the actress who played Tracy who mentioned this as well, the scene where the thing in the box kills them there was just an X she mentioned as well they were reacting scared to. Lynch did actually give them a description of what was attacking them, but there was nothing actually there of course. She also mentioned that what ended up in the final cut was different than what was described to them, but she likes the final cut better than what was described. She mentioned when working with a director like Lynch you just sometimes have to trust these things mean more on a bigger scale, her exact mention was in the death scene there she is just sitting around naked and being blasted with a hose of blood and wondering how this will fit in the grand scheme of things, but she's very happy with how it turned out.
Yeah, but he usually doesn't direct people reacting to a special effect. I don't think he's ever done it like this, and so far all scenes of that type have been among the worst-performed/directed parts of the show. That includes the part where the couple is killed by motion blur.

Kyle certainly makes it sound like 'Baby' Cooper won't be around for too much longer and that extended scenes with him are completely the intent, and seems he's excited for us to see what's coming up and suggest to pick up on things that start to connect.

We can only hope :p

Finally saw the Lynch doc The Art Life yesterday, felt like entering multiple other worlds he's made with the emphasis on all the painted and digital works. He really knows how to bridge the atmosphere between canvas and film. Highly recommended for those that haven't seen it yet (it's up on itunes).

As most are probably aware episode 5 got put up early by Sky Atlantic in Germany (since taken down obviously), thankfully didn't leak wide afaik, though a few stills got through. Location spoiler for episode 5:
Aerial shot of Buenos Aires. More Jeffries hijinks likely :)
Just as I make peace with the wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom