• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubi - "Wii U owners don't buy AC", Watch_Dogs their last M-rated WiiU release.

Enco

You give the people what they want.

If the majority of Wii U owners want Zelda and Just Dance, that's what they'll get.

Don't blame any of these devs for not supporting a console that would be a waste of money for them. Makes no business sense.

Sayter

You give the people what they want.

If the majority of Wii U owners want Zelda and Just Dance, that's what they'll get.

Don't blame any of these devs for not supporting a console that would be a waste of money for them. Makes no business sense.

I think a lot of WiiU owners want games optimized for the system, and not sub mediocre ports that come out months or a year after it's been released on other systems.

The WiiU is no PS4. But after seeing Bayonetta 2 in action it is a capable machine.

Hiltz

People don't buy shoddy after thought ports, what a shocker?

While third parties are to blame for some of the questionable quality of their ports, let's be realistic here. I mean, even on GameCube, third parties didn't generally see great sales with some of the good games they offered. It's been a problem for a long time, even on Nintendo consoles that didn't suffer from lack of hardware power and architectural differences.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Was AC4 really a bad port? I remember getting in arguments with Nintendo fans arguing about how good a port it was.

I think a lot of WiiU owners want games optimized for the system, and not sub mediocre ports that come out months or a year after it's been released on other systems.

The WiiU is no PS4. But after seeing Bayonetta 2 in action it is a capable machine.

Exactly right. Ass IV is a good example, that game could have looked and ran nearly as good as the PS4 port if there was more time and optimization put into the Wii U version at 720p. Bayonetta 2 looks amazing, has better graphics than those Ubi ports and runs at 60fps.

Also since Wii U owners know and basically told ahead of time that these ports either won't be a priority or told in the last minute that the games were even coming to the system at all, why would they buy them? Many people are just buying Third Party on PC if they only own Wii U.

MilesTeg

Banned
Platinum made W101 for WiiU fans but they still didn't want to buy it.

Should have stuck to the original plan of a Nintendo character mash up. Also, it would have been great if it had released in the spring when the console needed a new quality release real bad. Instead it launched next to GTAV.

Dicer

Banned
Was AC4 really a bad port? I remember getting in arguments with Nintendo fans arguing about how good a port it was.

It was a step up from AC3 to be sure, but it could have been better, chugs in places is really shouldn't while holding steady in areas it should.

The whole 3rd party Nintendo problem, is what it is, we can all circle point blame till we are blue in the face pass out and someone beats us like another dead horse.

It's what happens from this point on that matters, it's not just going to go away or fix itself, it's either going to get worse, or slowly get better.

Time will tell.

I'm just glad they have some decent collabs, and some smaller devs that are happy to work with them.

Exactly right. Ass IV is a good example, that game could have looked and ran nearly as good as the PS4 port if there was more time and optimization put into the Wii U version at 720p. Bayonetta 2 looks amazing, has better graphics than those Ubi ports and runs at 60fps.

What? Where are you getting this from?

Sadist

Platinum made W101 for WiiU fans but they still didn't want to buy it.
Correction, Platinum made W101 because Kamiya wanted to do this game.

Anyway, Nintendo will have to ride this one out, but I wonder how they will convince third parties to give them a new chance when the follow up to Wii U will hit the shelves. They did about "everything" wrong for not creating a great ecosystem to sell third party titles. Still, I can't help but point the finger partially in the direction of third parties as well. Sure they published a few games, but overall the majority of the releases even during launch window were released as an afterthought.

DVCY201

Framerate was choppy from what I remember, and I think a few textures were mediocre. Also, no DLC of course.

I think it had more love and care than AC3 which seemed to run sub 30 fps all the time.

In all fairness, Wonderful 101 was an unconventional, obscure action game. I think it would have been a tough sell even on PlayStation and Xbox.

sörine;126151124 said:
360 and PS3 owners didn't buy Platinum's games either.

It would have sold significant more than sub 10k (in Japan) if it's on PS3/360. The market just wasn't there on the WiiU. WiiU owners want Nintendo games and they get exactly that now.

Also since Wii U owners know and basically told ahead of time that these ports either won't be a priority or told in the last minute that the games were even coming to the system at all, why would they buy them? Many people are just buying Third Party on PC if they only own Wii U.

I'm not sure that either of those are true. The Wii U is guesstimated to be what, ~300GFlops at most? The PS4 is several times more powerful, at least as far as the GPU is concerned. As for Bayonetta 2, it's a highly stylized game. At least from what I've seen of it the textures are still noticeably weak in a number of places and it's always easier to make stylized games look good.

Sadist

It would have sold significant more than sub 10k (in Japan) if it's on PS3/360. The market just wasn't there on the WiiU. WiiU owners want Nintendo games and they get exactly that now.
Just like Vanquish and Anarchy Reigns huh?

Pointing to a Platinum Games not selling isn't proof at all.

Lol, reading those statements again, the only thing left to say is "Silly Ubi, Nintendo is not for dude-bros"

To be fair, Ubisoft is the least "dude-bro" among the biggest western publishers.

Pointing to a Platinum Games not selling isn't proof at all.

Saying that 3rd party games sold poorly on Nintendo platforn because there are treated like shit is silly as well. And Vanquish sold 48,318 unit in the first week. That was significant more than W101.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
sörine;126141614 said:
I take it that's worldwide? Because the leaked NPDs were a much different story?

Vita: 20k
PS3: 30k
360: 42k
Wii U: 88k

you're not including PS4 or XboxOne, retail or digital

Sayter

Not entirely true. Look at the worldwide sales of Anarchy Reigns. Great or no, niche is niche.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
How much at full price vs. discounted. What's the digital distribution? Show me the receipts.

All the stuff you cite was after the fact. February 2013 was before any of that data came in, and before those trends really began. Lego and Monster Hunter came out around that time and both put up decent numbers - better than the other platforms had at Rayman launch.

Of course Ubi wanted there to be a bigger audience, but it didn't help - hence the "bad idea". Big fish, small pond.

you consider 101k ltd as 'decent numbers'?

legends, im sure, cost a lot more than a 3DS port too.

and ubi would no beforehand what their retailers (their actual customers) were planning on buying/what they were able to sell-in prior to launch.

Sadist

Saying that 3rd party games sold poorly on Nintendo platforn because there are treated like shit is silly as well.
And where do I deny that?

Thing is, using Platinum as an argument in a sales discussion is just moot. Their trackrecord on PS3/360 is terrible as well. Every other publisher/developer with great sales on the other systems and suckish sales on Nintendo platforms is fair game.

Hiltz

Nintendo rejected Platinum's initial concept to make Wonderful 101 a game that used Nintendo mascot characters. Nintendo felt it was not practical and coherent enough given the unique mechanics and setting of the game to use Nintendo characters for, so original characters were used instead. It's same reason why Splatoon and STEAM don't use playable Nintendo characters either.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Wii U owners make so many excuses. Good port or bad, the sales are always the same.
Can't wait to see how great that hyped up "60fps" Bayonetta 2 sells.

sörine

Banned
It doesn't matter, it still would've bombed. And it would've bombed everywhere looking at how Vanquish did in NPD (30k). Platinum is not the example you want to bring for comparative sales.

Also, it sold over 10k on Wii U in Japan.

you consider 101k ltd as 'decent numbers'?

legends, im sure, cost a lot more than a 3DS port too.

Yeah...Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for Wii U launched at 46K. Even for its launch month...I wouldn't exactly call that "decent." It could do a lot better.

There's a good reason why Capcom isn't worrying about Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate on the Wii U this time around.

Chindogg

I sunk over 60 hours into AC4 on Wii U and only had minor framerate drops in Havana. The way some people in the DF thread were talking you'd think it was completely unplayable.

I would argue that trying to expand their audience (casual + gamers) while focussing on none is what brought them the wiiu's failure.

How was Nintendo focusing on expand their audience with sequels/remakes from their already stabilized franchises (NSMBU, Pikmin 3, Zelda WW HD, SM3DW, DK:TF, MK8, etc), late ports from third-parties (NFSMWU, ME3, Batman: Armored Edition), a dime a dozen on any console exclusiviness (Lego City) or Wii casual titles which the audience abandoned Nintendo/didn't wanted to spend $350$ on it (Nintendoland, Wii Sports U, Wii Fit U, Wii Party U, Just Dance)?

It's was quite the opposite, actually.

Moosehole

Spin this however you want, but Ubi tried with the Wii U.

It's not their fault that Wii U owners aren't buying mature games.

StormKing

Than make some platformers. Rayman Legends apparently sold best on WiiU and I doubt most people that have a WiiU care for Watch Dogs and Assassins Creed.

CrunchyB

Gimped Wii U ports especially don't sell well. Mass Effect 3 was released on Wii U (with none of the follow up DLC) as the full trilogy released elsewhere for the same price.

The trilogy was cheaper! It was pure bullshit and Ubi only has itself to blame, consumers are not stupid, especially early adopters.

Top Bottom