• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UC4 Game Director Justin Richmond Leaves ND (And famousmortimer leaves GAF #1393)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, this thread went nuclear.

Indeed.

iogOJA3IXCxdP.gif

Tripon

Ahahahahhaha

Famousmortimer I felt kinda bad for you, but not after you go out like this. The guy has a son with a potentially fatal disease and you don't even apologize. Wow.
He did apologize. Personally to Col Rodgers. Both Col and Mort posted that he did.

Agent X

Gold Member
Hello, all.

This is my first post on NeoGAF, and whilst I'm not generally one to deal in internet speculation, I have to put the record straight with regard to Pete Dodd's comments above.

Col, thank you for taking the time to explain this situation, which I'm sure has been difficult. I wish you, you son, and your family well. My prayers are with you.

velociraptor

Holy freaking GAF Drama, wow...

Col, best of luck with your son. I hope he gets well. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors as well. It's a shame you had to type personal details about your family to clear your name, but I hope at least now that we know about it, our collective good wishes and karma to you gives you some moral support...

Oh how has Pete Dodd fallen :(( I guess being a GAF insider celebrity does go to one's head...

2014 has been a bad year for GAF insiders. Now that CBOAT and famousmortimer are gone, who do we turn to :(
Is CBOAT permabanned?

Gorillaz

Well there are lots of people on GAF who work at studios (know "insider" info)...there are more people who work at Sony and Microsoft who look at GAF (again, more insider info)...hell...there are even people with connections to Nintendo here on GAF.

I would call those people "insiders," even if they never reveal the fact that they have information.

I would too. I just picked those 2 because they are more the "known" ones. I assume there are many people that are in the know but refuse/don't act on it

Wow. I am seriously late to the shitstorm that went on in this thread.

It's unfortunate that it got to the stage where Col had to post on gaf about such personal matters but I hope everything will be ok for him and his family. I can't imagine what he must be going through.

213372bu

Banned
He did apologize. Personally to Col Rodgers. Both Col and Mort posted that he did.

I don't consider what he did as an apology, more like damage control. Just like a bully in elementary school. they're going to continue to keep doing the same stuff, (I'd keep an eye on his site for that.) If he was truly sorry that would be the first thing he would've been out and said.

I've lost all respect I had for him.

It's probably not that hard to just calculate, take SSM's staff size two months ago, subtract the Ascension team size, calculate the remaining staff size for the three years, and the full staff size for one year. I would imagine you'd end up notably shy of the $40m GoW3 cost.
Around 240 developers just when they announced the move to the new office. About 170 devs credited on MobyGames for working on Ascension (including QA). Let's assume 20 or so employees probably work on other stuff such as The Order and porting PS3 games over to PS4.

So yeah, I would think that Stig's team was 60 people at most from 2010-2013. Between 2013-2014 they probably increased the team to full production size. Can't imagine the total budget reaching $40m tbh.

So it looks like all gaf insiders are done. Thuway and Verendus don't post much anymore. Demon and Gopher don't either since everyone knows they work for Sony.

Time for some new blood.
There are still some out there. Every once in a while we get something. Just make sure to pay attention ;)

The_Monk

I know I might be very late to this and I'm sorry my good fellow GAFfers but it breaks my heart that the director of Driveclub had to reach us to explain a very sensitive issue about his son. He didn't have but so he did... :(

It also breaks my heart when people provide facts that end up being something very, very inaccurate. I don't follow closely famousmortimer but I remember to send him a PM with my thoughts long time ago (when he got some freebies from Boyes I guess?) and he thanked me for always trying to see the good things in this industry. I just wish more could see and praise the good instead of focusing on the bad side of things, hating on others (hate solves nothing). After that PM, not much changed, I guess. When someone posted a thread on GAF to fund his website I also asked some questions in there but those were left without answer and later on the thread was closed.

---

As a community we should always try to welcome anyone and provide a sense of being part of something good. Only like this a community can grow. Learning to respect each other, being helpful and so on it's already something that many of us do. And I really wish we can keep it that way. We need to focus on proper discussions, even there is a rumour then let's hear it but if you are not sure what you are saying and you just "spit" words to grab attention than that's just wrong. But what makes it more wrong is when you say something that harms others. Having to deal with a son with something like that it's already bad enough... the last thing someone like the director of Driveclub deserves is more negative talk about him not delivering or not being enough to handle Driveclub. Instead, he might need support from their friends and family but I believe that support from their fans can also be appreciated.

I know this is a great community and words can't express how glad I am to be part of GAF but in times like this I can't help but remember myself and all of us that the purpose of a community like this one must focus on what's really important about this hobby we love. Saying information about someone and make him (by conscience, not saying he was forced) to tell us his personal reasons is not a proper act of a good place like this. I'm almost ashamed that he felt the need to explain such thing to us. We can do better than this so let's keep focusing on making this the best place to talk about what we love to talk about. I'm always ready to help any GAFfer if he needs and we should always make others feel good in here, not the other way around.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Well this thread certainly went for an unfortunate ride since I last checked it on page 5.
My prayers go out Col. and his son. Family crisis are never a good thing, and I'm sure most/all of us on GAF wish you all the best.

Nothing wrong with the insider stuff when it's about games and not another person's livelihood. Huge difference between teasing a game announcement and telling us someone got fired for being awful at their job.

yep hardware and game leaks no problem but as soon as you start talking about people it's a whole other ball game.

Great post Monk. I love GAF. But the high profile the boards have risen to this past year is often a let down for me as it's frequently used for click bait on bogus aggregate sites and reddit.

The_Monk

Great post Monk. I love GAF. But the high profile the boards have risen to this past year is often a let down for me as it's frequently used for click bait on bogus aggregate sites and reddit.

Thank you Spartan.

And I know I was probably very late to this but I felt the need to voice my opinion...

GopherD

Sometimes there are some people who wish that they could pull a chair up next to their workstation, tell Gaf to sit down and share the passion that they have for what they do and how they do it.

Share that some of the most coolest things you have ever seen are created without ever seeing the light of day. That devs are continually content with working behind the scenes when what they do and achieve continues to blow minds.

And you dont even know.

You should. Whether through other language, riddle, vague nuance. You need to see what we've seen. Because sometimes your industry is a better place when it opens itself up.

Sometimes there are some people who wish that they could pull a chair up next to their workstation, tell Gaf to sit down and share the passion that they have for what they do and how they do it.

Share that some of the most coolest things you have ever seen are created without ever seeing the light of day. That devs are continually content with working behind the scenes when what they do and achieve continues to blow minds.

And you dont even know.

You should. Whether through other language, riddle, vague nuance. You need to see what we've seen.
Haha. Completely agreed. Love you Gopher <3

Wow, this thread went nuclear. Let me freely admit that I bought mort's post hook, line, and sinker. And because of that, I thought poorly of a man that left his job for reasons that were a lot darker and heavier than what was let on. So to the Col, please accept my apology for even having those thoughts. I'd also like to say that I'm sorry you actually had to come here and clear your name by divulging information that none of us here had any real right to know. That was very considerate of you, given that you owed us nothing.

To mort, loose lips sink ships, fella. I still appreciate you for starting the #PS4NoDRM movement, though. That felt really good to participate in. But yeah, try and refrain from here on out with the slander, whether it's true or not. You just never know, man.

I'm out on that note. This place is quickly becoming an epic graveyard, and I just got here latter half of last year.

Yeah im seconding this apology for believing in mort's post too. Whether or not Mort still makes fun of being a 'gaf insider', he gained the trust of many posters/readers here scarily enough that game journalists thought enough to report on it.

Epcott

This thread is a tragedy:

I get that people despise Mort now, his fall from grace, his false insider information, yeah yeah yeah. But I still appreciate him for NoDRM, because I don't see Sony's current gamer-conscious approach ever having happened without it. Who knows, maybe Sony would have still received a standing ovation at E3 2013, sought out indies and more cross buy games, not included DRM, and other pro-consumer techniques had Shu never acknowledged the campaign. Who knows. But I do appreciate him being proactive and not simply reactive like many of us here on planet Gaf. Sucks that things turned out the way they did.

The real tragedy is Col (who is going through a difficult family crisis) having to lay his private family matters out in the open due to speculation painting him in incompetent light... Speculation that is all too common here from famous posters or otherwise, egged on by a hunger for SONY/MS/NIntendo/dev transparency. I was late to this thread, but his post still makes me feel bad for contributing to things like that in the past.

And you dont even know.

You should. Whether through other language, riddle, vague nuance. You need to see what we've seen.
4naFFyO.gif

Posts like these always give me a case of blue balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom