• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UC4 Game Director Justin Richmond Leaves ND (And famousmortimer leaves GAF #1393)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, you're discrediting a guy because he's a medical student and may or may not be from Pakistan? (Last I knew, he was a States resident, but I might be wrong)

Either way, what the fuck?

No, I'm asking a question about his authenticity because nothing points to him having insider sources. Way to make assumptions there.

This thread is a tragedy:

I get that people despise Mort now, his fall from grace, his false insider information, yeah yeah yeah. But I still appreciate him for NoDRM, because I don't see Sony's current gamer-conscious approach ever having happened without it. Who knows, maybe Sony would have still received a standing ovation at E3 2013, sought out indies and more cross buy games, not included DRM, and other pro-consumer techniques had Shu never acknowledged the campaign. Who knows. But I do appreciate him being proactive and not simply reactive like many of us here on planet Gaf. Sucks that things turned out the way they did.

The real tragedy is Col (who is going through a difficult family crisis) having to lay his private family matters out in the open due to speculation painting him in incompetent light... Speculation that is all too common here from famous posters or otherwise, egged on by a hunger for SONY/MS/NIntendo/dev transparency. I was late to this thread, but his post still makes me feel bad for contributing to things like that in the past.

This post is pretty much how I feel about all this.

Capella

Sometimes there are some people who wish that they could pull a chair up next to their workstation, tell Gaf to sit down and share the passion that they have for what they do and how they do it.

Share that some of the most coolest things you have ever seen are created without ever seeing the light of day. That devs are continually content with working behind the scenes when what they do and achieve continues to blow minds.

And you dont even know.

You should. Whether through other language, riddle, vague nuance. You need to see what we've seen. Because sometimes your industry is a better place when it opens itself up.
Mmhmm. I always love reading your posts Gopher, even if you tease a lot.

Orayn

Cant say I'm overly surprised by this. Mort's behavior had been growing steadily more questionable over the Summer and Fall, and this is what happens to supposed insiders who aren't careful about what they post and how they post it.

Also, best wishes to Col Rodgers and family. Really unfortunate that you had to do this because of one of us. Honestly, this is a black mark against us as a community and I'm ashamed of how this all played out.

Sometimes there are some people who wish that they could pull a chair up next to their workstation, tell Gaf to sit down and share the passion that they have for what they do and how they do it.

Share that some of the most coolest things you have ever seen are created without ever seeing the light of day. That devs are continually content with working behind the scenes when what they do and achieve continues to blow minds.

And you dont even know.

You should. Whether through other language, riddle, vague nuance. You need to see what we've seen. Because sometimes your industry is a better place when it opens itself up.

Well said.

viveks86

And you dont even know.

the_smurfs_2011_gif_2_by_max25castro-d4aka8l.gif

#BlueBalls

I get that people despise Mort now, his fall from grace, his false insider information, yeah yeah yeah. But I still appreciate him for NoDRM, because I don't see Sony's current gamer-conscious approach ever having happened without it.

please don't tell you believe that about mort. time and time against sony has said that wasn't even supposed to be an issue until microsoft posted that abomination on the xbox front page. yeah a big company with thousands of people relied on mort's "campaign". please tell me you're kidding. you're giving him and at more credit than he deserves, and way less credit to the actualu people who made the business decision to not go along that route.

My sincerest apology to Col for taking the rumor at face value and believing his departure was linked to the delay of the game, lesson learned.

Mort screwed up but I hope he will learn from it, and I hope Col can forgive him.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I know I might be very late to this and I'm sorry my good fellow GAFfers but it breaks my heart that the director of Driveclub had to reach us to explain a very sensitive issue about his son. He didn't have but so he did... :(

It also breaks my heart when people provide facts that end up being something very, very inaccurate. I don't follow closely famousmortimer but I remember to send him a PM with my thoughts long time ago (when he got some freebies from Boyes I guess?) and he thanked me for always trying to see the good things in this industry. I just wish more could see and praise the good instead of focusing on the bad side of things, hating on others (hate solves nothing). After that PM, not much changed, I guess. When someone posted a thread on GAF to fund his website I also asked some questions in there but those were left without answer and later on the thread was closed.

---

As a community we should always try to welcome anyone and provide a sense of being part of something good. Only like this a community can grow. Learning to respect each other, being helpful and so on it's already something that many of us do. And I really wish we can keep it that way. We need to focus on proper discussions, even there is a rumour then let's hear it but if you are not sure what you are saying and you just "spit" words to grab attention than that's just wrong. But what makes it more wrong is when you say something that harms others. Having to deal with a son with something like that it's already bad enough... the last thing someone like the director of Driveclub deserves is more negative talk about him not delivering or not being enough to handle Driveclub. Instead, he might need support from their friends and family but I believe that support from their fans can also be appreciated.

I know this is a great community and words can't express how glad I am to be part of GAF but in times like this I can't help but remember myself and all of us that the purpose of a community like this one must focus on what's really important about this hobby we love. Saying information about someone and make him (by conscience, not saying he was forced) to tell us his personal reasons is not a proper act of a good place like this. I'm almost ashamed that he felt the need to explain such thing to us. We can do better than this so let's keep focusing on making this the best place to talk about what we love to talk about. I'm always ready to help any GAFfer if he needs and we should always make others feel good in here, not the other way around.
If you get elected as the president of GAF, how would you personally deal with the "Insider" personalities's crisis?
i8abJAL.png

I get that people despise Mort now, his fall from grace, his false insider information, yeah yeah yeah. But I still appreciate him for NoDRM, because I don't see Sony's current gamer-conscious approach ever having happened without it. Who knows, maybe Sony would have still received a standing ovation at E3 2013, sought out indies and more cross buy games, not included DRM, and other pro-consumer techniques had Shu never acknowledged the campaign. Who knows. But I do appreciate him being proactive and not simply reactive like many of us here on planet Gaf. Sucks that things turned out the way they did.

The real tragedy is Col (who is going through a difficult family crisis) having to lay his private family matters out in the open due to speculation painting him in incompetent light... Speculation that is all too common here from famous posters or otherwise, egged on by a hunger for SONY/MS/NIntendo/dev transparency. I was late to this thread, but his post still makes me feel bad for contributing to things like that in the past.

Cracking post, especially about Col. I do think it's slightly hyperbolic saying people "despise" Mort though, it's a strong word, maybe they found him irritating or couldn't take to his personality ?

I'll still be listening to his podcast should he continue doing it, I like his view on his games and his pal Rich is a cool, good natured guy.

Slashlen

Cracking post, especially about Col. I do think it's slightly hyperbolic saying people "despise" Mort though, it's a strong word, maybe they found him irritating or couldn't take to his personality ?

There's a good number of people here who have hated him for a while, mostly salty Xbox fans.

Hello, all.

This is my first post on NeoGAF, and whilst I'm not generally one to deal in internet speculation, I have to put the record straight with regard to Pete Dodd's comments above.

Everything he has said with regard to myself and Driveclub is incorrect. It's also libellous.

As Putty (who is a personal friend of mine, and has been for about 25 years) suggests, I left Evo in February for personal reasons. The personal reasons being that my son, who is 4 years old, has been diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome, which is a potentially life threatening condition. I live 220 miles (4 hours drive) away from Evolution Studios, and was away from home 5.5 days a week. Given the circumstances, I could not continue to work there.

Driveclub is a great game, and the direction hasn't changed since my departure. This has been confirmed by SONY in various press releases over recent days.

I have no problem in dealing with very large projects, as I've been working in the games industry for the last 19 years, and have worked on some very prestigious titles, so there is genuinely no truth to anything posted by Mr Dodds at all. My departure (and indeed the setup of my 'indie' operation, BigRedSwitch) is 100% driven by family necessity, not some professional failing on my part.

I left SONY on very good terms. There is no animosity there, and I was absolutely nothing to do with the recent redundancies - in fact, the news of those redundancies was probably linked on here before I knew about them.

The games industry is a tough place at the moment. My circumstances with my son mean that I've had to leave secure work in order to try to make my own way in the world. This may entail getting another job. With people who obviously know nothing about the situation blackening my reputation for the sake of internet 'fame', this could be made much more difficult. It's nothing less than trolling.

I've contacted Mr. Dodd on his email address on his site. Due to the factual inaccuracy of his statements, I've informed him that he needs to remove the statements and apologise for the damage they have caused, as posting incorrect information and claiming it's true is quite simply libel.

I'm sure you can all appreciate just how difficult things are for myself and my family at the moment. I'd genuinely appreciate it if you can take my statements as word from the origin, and realise that there has been no big cover-up when it comes to my departure from SONY/Evo.

Thanks, all.

Col.

Glad you came here and put this guy in his place. I can't stand when people make crap just to get internet fame.

It's sad to hear your son is suffering from a life threatening syndrome. I wish your family the best and hope your son recovers well. Will keep your son in my prayers.

Sydle

There's a good number of people here who have hated him for a while, mostly salty Xbox fans.

Hate is an equally strong word that I doubt applies to anyone's feelings towards Mort.

Maybe take a step back and remind yourself we're on a video game forum.

Well, let's look at this way, ask yourself, if salty Xbox fans hate him, who is it that revere's him so much and this CBOAT character and Thuway?

I can see where you are coming from however but to me, one group of people ain't no better than the other from what I've read over the past few months.

Corpsepyre

Banned
No, I'm asking a question about his authenticity because nothing points to him having insider sources. Way to make assumptions there.

Word yourself better then. What you wrote appeared highly offensive.

Secondly, there's a custom here of checking insider statuses, if I am correct. He wouldn't be on here if he didn't check out.

graywolf323

As Putty (who is a personal friend of mine, and has been for about 25 years) suggests, I left Evo in February for personal reasons. The personal reasons being that my son, who is 4 years old, has been diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome, which is a potentially life threatening condition. I live 220 miles (4 hours drive) away from Evolution Studios, and was away from home 5.5 days a week. Given the circumstances, I could not continue to work there.

late seeing this but definitely praying for your son and your family

He was verified by mods before. So I guess he has/had something solid.

Yeah, verification has turned out well so far.

Word yourself better then. What you wrote appeared highly offensive.

Secondly, there's a custom here of checking insider statuses, if I am correct. He wouldn't be on here if he didn't check out.

Well, we was banned for quite a while too.

Notice how he doesn't post "inside" information anymore?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America

And you dont even know.

This!!!!!

Xpliskin

What the fuck happened here ?

I guess companies have started cracking down on the leakers (one way or another), it had to happen sooner or later.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't know why you guys keep throwing the word "libel" out there. Its not libel to report a rumor, even if its wrong.

Wow, what a fucking abhorrent fanboy piece of shit that mortimer dude was

I'm very sorry to hear about your circumstances col. I'm sure you will be sorely missed by your collegues, and i look forward to whatever you work on in the future

this type of posting is highly offensive and not tolerated on gaf. And he wasn't a fanboy, I am sure his source got it wrong. you should edit your post

Slashlen

Well, let's look at this way, ask yourself, if salty Xbox fans hate him, who is it that revere's him so much and this CBOAT character and Thuway?

I can see where you are coming from however but to me, one group of people ain't no better than the other from what I've read over the past few months.

There's been a lot of crap thrown in a lot of directions in the last year or so. The salty comment was more attributing the pre-existing mort hate to console wars rather than anything specific to him.

stryke

thuway is good, I still believe in him.

I'm willing to believe he knows people, but some of the things he tries to tease are so pathetically vague and uninteresting.

Oh a game got green lit post gamescom? Congratulations, you want a medal on the scoop?

Tripon

I'm willing to believe he knows people, but some of the things he tries to tease are so pathetically vague and uninteresting.

Oh a game got green lit post gamescom? Congratulations, you want a medal on the scoop?

The issue I have with Thuway is that he sounds like an Evangelist reciting his own version of the prosperity gospel.

StuBurns

Banned
Fanboyish shouldn't be cause for being banned.

Fanboyish conveyed from someone's off GAF twitter account certainly shouldn't be.

Sacrimoni

Banned
this type of posting is highly offensive and not tolerated on gaf. And he wasn't a fanboy, I am sure his source got it wrong. you should edit your post

i'm sorry, but making shit up about people in order to make a corporation look good is a horrible, horrible thing to do

particular when the people you're slandering are going through such a tough time, and are forced to air their personal business in order to clear their name

very poor form

Edit - and it's pretty telling that you're so offended by comments about mortimer, but seemingly have no regard for the people affected by his lies

Dahaka

And you dont even know.

I was actually listening to "Tears in Rain" by Vangelis while reading this post (the whole Blade Runner album). Magic or Coincidence?

Valnen

I said months ago that GAF needs a "no leaker" rule. Think you have some good juicy info? PM a mod. If the mod feels it worth sharing, they will share it. No fanfare, no opportunity for any company or individual to game the system.

And then GAF becomes worthless as an outlet for video game news, and I'm forced to read shit sites like Kotaku or Joystiq. As long as they're not just making shit up and can prove it, it should be fine.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I know I might be very late to this and I'm sorry my good fellow GAFfers but it breaks my heart that the director of Driveclub had to reach us to explain a very sensitive issue about his son. He didn't have but so he did... :(

It also breaks my heart when people provide facts that end up being something very, very inaccurate. I don't follow closely famousmortimer but I remember to send him a PM with my thoughts long time ago (when he got some freebies from Boyes I guess?) and he thanked me for always trying to see the good things in this industry. I just wish more could see and praise the good instead of focusing on the bad side of things, hating on others (hate solves nothing). After that PM, not much changed, I guess. When someone posted a thread on GAF to fund his website I also asked some questions in there but those were left without answer and later on the thread was closed.

---

As a community we should always try to welcome anyone and provide a sense of being part of something good. Only like this a community can grow. Learning to respect each other, being helpful and so on it's already something that many of us do. And I really wish we can keep it that way. We need to focus on proper discussions, even there is a rumour then let's hear it but if you are not sure what you are saying and you just "spit" words to grab attention than that's just wrong. But what makes it more wrong is when you say something that harms others. Having to deal with a son with something like that it's already bad enough... the last thing someone like the director of Driveclub deserves is more negative talk about him not delivering or not being enough to handle Driveclub. Instead, he might need support from their friends and family but I believe that support from their fans can also be appreciated.

I know this is a great community and words can't express how glad I am to be part of GAF but in times like this I can't help but remember myself and all of us that the purpose of a community like this one must focus on what's really important about this hobby we love. Saying information about someone and make him (by conscience, not saying he was forced) to tell us his personal reasons is not a proper act of a good place like this. I'm almost ashamed that he felt the need to explain such thing to us. We can do better than this so let's keep focusing on making this the best place to talk about what we love to talk about. I'm always ready to help any GAFfer if he needs and we should always make others feel good in here, not the other way around.

And you dont even know.

I'm glad that this thread wasn't a complete loss. Thanks, Monk and Gopher, your posts always get me happier in these kind of threads. Don't ever get yourselves banned or stop posting!

Pain

Banned
boSZiU6.png

I just don't understand...you slander Col Rodgers, talk with his friend and clear everything up...but INSTEAD of apologizing you decide to make a cheeky Tweet instead?

What...why? Why didn't you just edit your initial post? Why didn't you come to GAF with an apology? Why didn't you give a heartfelt apology the moment that you cleared things up? Why did you have to respond with sarcasm?

Come on now...that logic is just bogus.
He made the tweet before knowing that people were waiting for an apology.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Depends on the country. I know libel laws in the UK are very different.

They got a lot tougher earlier this year and besides, the fact that its clearly not libel in at least one place one of the parties lives means we shouldn't be calling it "libel." Its not like he wrote that post to be malicious.

Yeah I know.

The thing is, he talked with Col Rodger's friend last night. He got things cleared up last night.

So why didn't he apologize LAST NIGHT? Why was the first thing he did in the morning...was go right to a cheeky Twitter post?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member

I'm not buyin it. Theres no way you just check out when you're the center of attention like that, especially attention that was clearly wanted very badly. And if he was truly ignorant of the status then he obviously did it purposefully, hoping to distance himself from it. There is absolutely no wiggle room here. He distanced himself, made that tweet, and probably expected that to be that.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Man, after reading through this thread, I think I'm going to take a step back and breathe for a bit. Some heavy stuff. =x Take a step back, play some good games. =)

coldfoot

Banned
Famousmortimer just shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about NeoGAF culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Youtube where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in NeoGAF, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is by getting banned.

What this means is the gaming public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to trust Famousmortimer for insider information, nor will they visit any of Famousmortimer's web sites. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Famousmortimer has alienated an entire market with this move.

Famousmortimer, publicly apologize to Col Rodgers or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Accoun

Famousmortimer just shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about NeoGAF culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Youtube where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in NeoGAF, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is by getting banned.

What this means is the gaming public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to trust Famousmortimer for insider information, nor will they visit any of Famousmortimer's web sites. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Famousmortimer has alienated an entire market with this move.

Famousmortimer, publicly apologize to Col Rodgers or you can kiss your business goodbye.

*clapping*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom