• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Xbox One has another official price cut. £299

Asd202

Not sure, PS4 is selling great and it can be compared to PS2 but i guess Xbone is gonna do way better tha original Xbox did, i think that in the end of this generation both PS4 and One will be pretty close, like PS3 and Xbox 360

No chance for that dude.

AmyS

I'm down with 5 year cycles.

At this point that's a completely reasonable expectation for them to do. I hope they do too, a 8 year generation of consoles was way too much last time.

I'll be ready for the Ultra HD and AR era.

kL87ECT.gif

J2de0YZ.jpg

3kYOYzT.jpg

xz18ge0.jpg

rZC7y4h.png

Kuni

Saw tweet on this earlier along with it being another promotion, which I feel is just a way to get around the "yet another price drop comments".

To be fair though the price is better ... I think this is what it should've been all along post kinect. But hey ho. All the best for the competition MS.

EatMyFace

Banned
Unsurprising, at this time of year console bundles are never spectacular, yet every week that passes the price keeps getting lower and more games keep getting added to the bundles. £299 with at least 2 games has pretty much been the norm for a while.

It's about time Sony did something about the price though, there hasn't been any impressive PS4 bundles since Christmas, the few sub-£300 offers that have been around are all just solus consoles or old LBP3 or DC bundles. Anecdotally I've been noticing at work that we've been selling more Xbox One systems than PS4s pretty much since Christmas. If Sony don't bother reacting I think they'll quickly find out how fickle the UK market can be when it comes down to price, particularly considering how many 360 owners haven't upgraded yet.
Sony has no reason to react since they are the leader in the UK market. They'll do the price cut when they're good and ready.(preferably with the launch of a big AAA game this holiday)

EatMyFace

Banned
Saw tweet on this earlier along with it being another promotion, which I feel is just a way to get around the "yet another price drop comments".

To be fair though the price is better ... I think this is what it should've been all along post kinect. But hey ho. All the best for the competition MS.
It's the same in the US. Price has been $350 since November 2014. We're going on 6 MONTHS with a "promotional price".

Yet this "promotional price" has done nothing to outsell the PS4 so the price going up again is just not going to happen. If anything the console is in need of another price drop.

MisterR

Not sure, PS4 is selling great and it can be compared to PS2 but i guess Xbone is gonna do way better tha original Xbox did, i think that in the end of this generation both PS4 and One will be pretty close, like PS3 and Xbox 360

Not even close.

N.Domixis

Banned
Xbox will be lucky to hit 50 million, ps4 will be 100+ without a DOUBT!

Zen Mu

Just seen a TV ad on Sky. Showed Halo & Tomb Raider.
"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul"
Xbox One, now starting at £299.99

They're jumping in.

I've seen that commercial as well. What is the deal with Xbox advertising, was it always so emo? Maybe I just didn't notice it before, idk. First the Rocky quote commercial and now this one. Smh

Oh well, nice price for the UK. Hopefully it moves some unts for them.

cakely

That certainly is an opinion.

CoG

With the right software the Xbone could pick up momentum, it certainly had the software edge right up until Bloodborne's release.

We heard that this entire generation. All the titles we keep seeing in list warz (FH2, SSOD, MCC) are not moving consoles apparently.

Wagram

Just wait till the holidays to hear it even more. And this is pre-season.

When you spend an entire pre-season losing, they have to recuperate that variance in the holiday season while the competition rakes in more sales in the holidays as well.

Unless Microsoft literally obliterates the competition soon i'm almost positive they will be stuck in second place for the remainder of the generation (which isn't bad).

We heard that this entire generation. All the titles we keep seeing in list warz (FH2, SSOD, MCC) are not moving consoles apparently.

They're not the right software.

If it had the software edge why is it being out sold 2 to 1?

Because the PS4 is the cheaper, more powerful system which was delivered by a company which didn't alienate its fanbase, and had substantial third party support to make it appealing within the opening years despite exclusive software being a collection of reject titles and remasters.

The Wii U also has superior software but is also trailing behind.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Some people may be interested in the below UK Home console sell through figures-

Data is provided via Gfk Chart-Track, Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft and Sega

Generation 5: Cumulative home console install base for the UK
1995- 0.18m
1996- 0.95m
1997- 2.92m
1998- 5.30m
1999- 6.97m
2000- 7.90m

Gen 5 LTD- 9.10m
(PS1- 79%, N64- 16%, Sat- 4%)

Gen 5 includes PS1 (1995), Saturn (1995) and Nintendo 64 (1997)

Generation 6: Cumulative home console install base for the UK
2000- 0.16m
2001- 1.78m
2002- 4.70m
2003- 7.35m
2004- 9.52m
2005- 11.32m

Gen 6 LTD- 13.50m
(PS2- 74%, XBX- 17%, NGC- 9%)

Gen 5 includes PS2 (2000), Xbox (2002) and Nintendo Gamecube (2002)

Generation 7: Cumulative home console install base for the UK
2005- 0.15m
2006- 1.10m
2007- 4.70m
2008- 10.0m

Gen 7 LTD- 23.0m
(360- 38%, Wii- 37%, PS3- 25%)

Gen 7 includes Xbox 360 (2005), Nintendo Wii (2006) and PS3 (2007).

Generation 8: Cumulative home console install base for the UK
2012- 0.10m
2013- 1.12m
2014- 3.70m

Gen 8 LTD- +3.70m
(PS4+XB1- 89%, Wii U 11%)

Gen 8 includes Wii U (2012, PS4 (2013) and Xbox One (2013)

Both PS4 and Xbox One have excceded 1 million units sold through to end users in the UK with PS4 now approaching 2 million.

Why are all these pirce cuts always in the UK and not in central Europe?
In the ukthey still have a chance to stay within sniffing distance of the PS4. Rest of Europe? MS might as well throw their money into a well.

With the right software the Xbone could pick up momentum, it certainly had the software edge right up until Bloodborne's release.

LOL this gen is done. Sooner people make their peace with that the better off they'll be...

No chance in Hell. More like PS4=PS1 and Xbox One=N64 in market share.

Great move. This will definitely get some number going for Microsoft.

Your move Sony. Let's get that price down!

As opposed to completely ridiculous deals available for both consoles since, well, about September? Crazy season properly started at Christmas here and it hasn't really changed much since then: I got a White PS4, DC, LBP3, Batman and Mincecraft for £330 in December from Argos.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Its funny. These price cuts are simply taking the price down to what it should have been at launch. They still need more price cuts to get it down to a "discounted" price.

They're not the right software.

Because the PS4 is the cheaper, more powerful system which was delivered by a company which didn't alienate its fanbase, and had substantial third party support to make it appealing within the opening years despite exclusive software being a collection of reject titles and remasters.

The Wii U also has superior software but is also trailing behind.

Your rationalization is amusing. There is no software that will change the direction this generation is headed.

This gen is done?

Jesus Christ there hasn't even been a new elder scrolls yet. It's been what, two years? I.e less than half of the generation?

WHAT?

Edit - Oh unless you mean PS4 leading in sales, in which case yeah that's obviously very likely.

This gen is done?

Jesus Christ there hasn't even been a new elder scrolls yet. It's been what, two years? I.e less than half of the generation?

WHAT?

You have to remember, the Xbox 360 succeeded not because it did things right, but because Sony did things so poorly.

Sony wasn't that dumb this time around.

Welfare

This gen is done?

WHAT?

Edit - Oh unless you mean PS4 leading in sales, in which case yeah that's obviously very likely.

Generation's are decided within the first year of all main consoles launching, sales wise. Whoever is first stays first.

Desperation to move more X1 units? Maybe. Should we really care...sorta I guess?

End of they just means that people can now pick up an X1 cheaper if they are interested in the console, seems like good news to me.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

No.

OT: This will probably be the same song and dance all gen. Sony has what they had during the PS2 era - a commanding market lead that's sure to continue to grow.

Glass

Is the £250 Asda bundle with MCC and the X Men blu-ray nationwide? That deal is insane why isn't it being shouted from the rooftops?

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
You have to remember, the Xbox 360 succeeded not because it did things right, but because Sony did things so poorly.

Sony wasn't that dumb this time around.

I said this all last gen. Had the PS3 launched @ $399.99, the 360 would not have made the kind of dent in market-share that it did. The PS4 is a combo of people that would have bought it anyway, new 360 owners jumping on board, and PS3 fans jumping in sooner (i.e, continued momentum).

The perfect recipe for a completely dominant platform, something PlayStation always was before the triple came along!

If memory serves correctly, about 8 million.

Which is what the gap is now right? The gap will widen to about 12-15 million by the time the slimlines release, but count microsoft to be aggressive attempting to catch up.

Microsoft may be incompetent, but they will throw money if they have to.

Top Bottom