• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Xbox One has another official price cut. £299

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Which is what the gap is now right? The gap will widen to about 12-15 million by the time the slimlines release, but count microsoft to be aggressive attempting to catch up.

Microsoft may be incompetent, but they will throw money if they have to.

Stark differences, though. The X1 doesn't have territories to back it up, unlike the PS3. The gap is widening at the moment, not shrinking. Third, Sony has yet to play their own hand in a price cut. So the situations can't be realistically compared, but one thing to take from the above - the X1 is no PS3.

My $0.02: The places have been determined and there will be no shift. At all.

pixelation

They're not the right software.

Because the PS4 is the cheaper, more powerful system which was delivered by a company which didn't alienate its fanbase, and had substantial third party support to make it appealing within the opening years despite exclusive software being a collection of reject titles and remasters.

The Wii U also has superior software but is also trailing behind.

Uh... the XBO IS CHEAPER than the PS4... and reject titles?... *puzzled*

Welfare

Actually, there have been quite a few articles/sources making that claim. From one ex:

http://www.nowgamer.com/ps3-shipments-overtake-xbox-360/

Whether you believe it/them or not is another matter.

That is a forecast, and the number would have to be inaccurate. If they reached 77 million by the end of 2012, then there is no way that Sony only reached 80 million as of November 2nd 2013, as they shipped an additional 3.1 million units between April-September 2013 and that's not counting whatever they shipped between January and March of 2013.

Again, nothing suggests that the PS3 has surpassed the 360 in shipments.

Bgamer90

Banned
PS3 was always selling better than 360.

It's the reason why the PS3 caught up to the 360 in worldwide sales.

The Xbox 360's one year head start + more news about NPD sales made the 360 seem like it was doing far better than it actually was.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
That is a forecast, and the number would have to be inaccurate. If they reached 77 million by the end of 2012, then there is no way that Sony only reached 80 million as of November 2nd 2013, as they shipped an additional 3.1 million units between April-September 2013 and that's not counting whatever they shipped between January and March of 2013.

Again, nothing suggests that the PS3 has surpassed the 360 in shipments.

Well, you said/say, "nothing suggests". I'm just telling you that it has been suggested, and if I look closely enough, I'm sure it's probably been restated up till this point. No way to sure for sure, either way, though, so there's no reason to suggest anything otherwise, from either side.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Well, you said/say, "nothing suggests". I'm just telling you that it has been suggested, and if I look closely enough, I'm sure it's probably been restated up till this point. No way to sure for sure, either way, though, so there's no reason to suggest anything otherwise, from either side.

There is no explicit data which shows that the PS3 has surpassed the Xbox 360. Especially since we now have combined shipments from both Sony and Microsoft for at least 1 year.

An educated guess would put them neck and neck with the PS3 slightly ahead. An excellent feat for the PS3 which launched 1 year after the Xbox 360.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
There is no explicit data which shows that the PS3 has surpassed the Xbox 360. Especially since we now have combined shipments from both Sony and Microsoft for at least 1 year.

An educated guess would put them neck and neck with the PS3 slightly ahead. An excellent feat for the PS3 which launched 1 year after the Xbox 360.

Yep, about what i'd expect as well.

Gen 5 LTD- 9.10m
(PS1- 79%, N64- 16%, Sat- 4%)

Gen 6 LTD- 13.50m
(PS2- 74%, XBX- 17%, NGC- 9%)

Gen 7 LTD- 23.3m
(360- 39%, Wii- 36%, PS3- 25%)

Gen 8 LTD- +3.70m
(PS4+XB1- 89%, Wii U 11%)
Can I ask how it happens that you have splits for every platform except PS4/XB3? lol

Mikey Jr.

got a nice bargain for anyone looking for a sunset bundle

http://www.brighthouse.co.uk/gaming/xbox-one-special-edition-sunset-overdrive-bundle/

at current exchange rate that is a more than fair 1900 dollars for an xbox one with sunset (download code)

U8AcqyX.png

95% apr?

Wow, what a steal!!

EatMyFace

Banned
Which is what the gap is now right? The gap will widen to about 12-15 million by the time the slimlines release, but count microsoft to be aggressive attempting to catch up.

Microsoft may be incompetent, but they will throw money if they have to.
They've thrown plenty of money and I don't think MONEY is the problem here. I'll list what Microsoft has done and why it didn't work.

-Titanfall Exclusivity. This didn't really push it ahead of PS4 because of the XBOs bad word or mouth leading up to launch. Then there's the fact that launching a successful FPS these days is very hard. Titanfall seems to had sold well, for and exclusive but playerbase is not very active with complaints about lack of content.

-Unbundling Kinect. This didn't magically turn the tide because this was an option that should have been there from the very beginning. A lot of the people that didn't want Kinect just ended up getting the more popular, cheaper and more powerful PS4.

-September 2014s Free Game Giveaway with console purchase. The reason this move didn't push it past PS4 was because this was a reactionary move.(like many other of MS's decisions regarding XBO). September '14 was Destiny launch month, heavily promoted and bundled on PS4. XBO really didn't have a chance this month at all. So the free game giveaway IMO was a pretty bad business move as it wasn't going to move the needle and most of your audience would have bought this much-hyped game anyway.

-November "Promotional Price Cut" To $350. THIS ONE ACTUALLY WORKED! The combination of a $350 XBO with a game with the launch of the biggest games of the year and the holidays was a perfect storm. The only problem with this was that Microsoft must have lost millions and millions for these November/December NPD victories and now leading out of the holidays, with the promotional price cut still going on 6 months later they've lost NPD every months so far this year. So you see they won those 2 last months of 2014 but now they're back to square 1 behind the PS4 in sales but unable to go back to "regular" pricing of $399. So they are in the same position as the year before but with much less profit(or possibly losses) per console sold.

The reason Microsoft can't just throw money at this problem and fix it is because the market has already chosen its leader and the only one who can slow down the PS4 is Sony. It's up to Sony to make some big mistakes.

JDizzv

Has there really been a "war"?
I didn't really think the other consoles had come down much at all.
Uh there's obviously a "war" in the consumer electronic sense, as there always will be when there's multiple consoles.

Lack of price cut does not mean lack of caring. Each company has hungry shareholders to feed.

kyser73

Less a war, more of a siege with Xbone battering against the walls of Sony sales to little effect.

Also worth remembering that in the UK Sony managed to sell more PS4s across Nov/Dec, despite MS selling more in November.

If Sony UK see the sales data slipping they'll put their own 'retailer led' price promo out there. I get the feeling Fergal has been told to maintain a market share position in the UK, and the current strength of sterling gives him a lot of room for manoeuvre. Exchange rates seem to be something a lot of people forget about on these threads.

BokehKing

Banned
The system came out at $500
Their graphs and pie charts for profits revolved around that, not even 2 years later and the price already dropped $200

That is desperate
Also, according to iSupply, the Kinect only cost them $75 to build, so the blinded consoles actually represent a $25 loss for them, not to mention the loss of all of that sweet "ambient data" Kinect collects for them.

c0de

It's the reason why the PS3 caught up to the 360 in worldwide sales.

The Xbox 360's one year head start + more news about NPD sales made the 360 seem like it was doing far better than it actually was.

The reason was the exceptionally low performance of 360 in Japan.

PaulLFC

I jumped in when I got a deal from GAME (of all places!) at £279 for the console, Forza 5 GOTY and both AC games. There's also been deals of the above bundle with additional Halo MCC or Kinect 2 for £299, so there's been plenty of good prices around. This reduction may reduce bundle prices even further, though.

Honestly, I'm happy with the purchase at the price I paid. It wasn't worth the launch price to me, and the PS4 is still where I'll buy most/all mutliplatform games. However with games with gold, EA Access and the Xbox One exclusives there's enough there to justify the price for me.

It'll basically become my EA and Forza machine, hopefully Crackdown is good when it releases too.

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
Based on the UK data JVM supplied us with, I'd say that the XB1 is in a much better position at this point in the generation than the PS3 was. The big difference is that Sony had other markets to back them up slightly whereas MS really only has the US and UK.
There's another subtle difference.

It is true, that for almost the first year and a half, Xbox 360 sold WAY more than PS3 in UK. But that changed on March 23, 2007. I don't think that Xbox One will be able to see a similar kind of shift in momentum.

driver116

Hmm, was it ever 350? I thought a £50 price cut seemed low for kinects removal when posting that, maybe I was confusing £350 with the £329 price cut

It was £349 also. I remember seeing the £349 advert in June (without Kinect) then 3 months later the £329 in September.

Chris1

It was £349 also. I remember seeing the £349 advert in June (without Kinect) then 3 months later the £329 in September.
Yeah I thought that. Thanks

I wouldn't read too much into this. MCC is priced at £329.99, and yet many retailers sell it under £299.99.

That could have just not been updated yet, the witcher bundle is new and would have just been posted so should have the correct pricing, it's the weird price tag that is strange - if it's inaccurate and is meant to be the old pricing, should it not be £10 more? If it's the new pricing, should it not be £10 less?

It could just be nothing, and retail prices are a completely different story of course, but it seems weird and out of place compared to how they usually do their bundles (with a free code).

Gamezone

Gold Member
Just bought my Xbox One in Norway for £200 at my local store. Yes, it was brand new.

Edit: Just checked. It was £169,91 that I paid.

Top Bottom