• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Universal Windows applications running on the Xbox

Chettlar

Banned
I assume they'll reveal it at E3

That's what I was thinking until I remembered Spencer having said that there will be very, very few executives on stage. Mostly games, so there will be little time for that.

Of course, they might introduce it at the very start, and use it to display the entire presentation. Might be a way they could use to show it off.

Bsigg12

Couldn't this be huge for indie games? And also, couldn't it be shots fired vs steam? Develop an indie game via unity and it almost immediately works for Xbox/Phone/Tablet/PC. Huge, no?

I think the bigger thing is DX12 having the ability to have shared code across mobile, Xbox One and PC.

Interfectum

Couldn't this be huge for indie games? And also, couldn't it be shots fired vs steam? Develop an indie game via unity and it almost immediately works for Xbox/Phone/Tablet/PC. Huge, no?

Not really, no.

Most devs will use tools like Unity and compile to popular platforms like PC, iOS and Android. Not really seeing why everyone will flock to making metro apps because it'll be on Xbox One.

flkraven

Not really, no.

Most devs will use tools like Unity and compile to popular platforms like PC, iOS and Android. Not really seeing why everyone will flock to making metro apps because it'll be on Xbox One.

Well, there are already devs working on XB1 games. I just figured that since their game now has the potential of hitting phone/tablet/pc/xb1 in 1 go, it is much easier than making a PC game, then porting it to say, Android.

I thought this was the plan all along.

Universal apps/softare across all devices running any version of Windows (including Xbox One).

So, this is just the "official" announcement?

joesiv

As long as as I can get my Norton Anti-Virus Suite up in there, you know to defend from all the eventual virus'...

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Wereroku

Retrode2-carts2-matted.png

They don't know about this I assume(awesome awesome piece of tech).

http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp#roms

Here you go man just read Nintendo's Q&A. Like I said I don't know who would win and what the ultimate result would be but if a Nintendo Emulator popped up on XBO the lawyers would be dispatched.

Google removes emulators from the Google Play Store when they find them bro

Nope not if they are legal. SGNES has up to 1 million paid downloads and is currently in the top paid android apps and has been since it's inception. Google has yet to remove it. DRASTIC ds, ppsspp, Mupen 64 and more are all there making money and google hasn't done shit. Why? Because the emulators are legal.

I thought this was the plan all along.

Universal apps/softare across all devices running any version of Windows (including Xbox One).

So, this is just the "official" announcement?

It's been "obvious" to a lot of people for a loooooooooong time, but to have it confirmed and demoed is quite awesome.

Interfectum

Well, there are already devs working on XB1 games. I just figured that since their game now has the potential of hitting phone/tablet/pc/xb1 in 1 go, it is much easier than making a PC game, then porting it to say, Android.

You can make a game in Unity and compile it to iPad, iPhone, Android, Windows, Mac, Linux, Windows Phone, Vita, Xbox, PlayStation, etc. That seems more appealing to indie devs than simply staying in the Windows dev environment.

Rulp

Could be a big deal if it makes the Xbox One more like a modern modded OG Xbox. However, I suspect there will be a BS approval process that will block off a lot of cool possibilities.

Come on dude.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/search#q=emulator&s=Store

I have emulators on my Windows Phone as well.

There is no precedent for this though.

It will be very interesting to see Nintendos reacion when they see Super Mario World being played on a big screen TV on a Microsoft Home Console.

We are not talking about phones,tablets or failed clients like the OUYA. This is one of the biggest home consoles.

Its delusional to think they wont have a problem with this.

Bsigg12

Don't get what's the big deal here, guess I'm missing something.

Any Windows 8.1 app will work on an Xbox One with a few minor tweaks. For developers, it means getting the app onto as many devices as possible easily and for consumers it means a much larger library of apps will be available for the Xbox One once Universal apps goes into effect.

As for emulators, you would be able to download them but with the Xbox One bring a closed platform, you wouldn't be able to side load ROMs.

Here you go man just read Nintendo's Q&A. Like I said I don't know who would win and what the ultimate result would be but if a Nintendo Emulator popped up on XBO the lawyers would be dispatched.

Send their lawyers to do what? When can they do? They can't do anything. The only thing they could do is take a peak at the source code of the emulator and if see if it infringes. If it doesn't contain any of their code, they basically can't do anything.

rothbart

I'm still waiting for the inevitable "approval process" that'll likely be specific to XBOne. They don't want Tinder on XBOne, nor will they want a ton of other stuff. I simply don't see them opening the unbridled flood gates of "write/release whatever you want on XBOne". For example, I will truly be shocked/impressed if Plex finds its way onto XBOne outside of the web interface. People keep mistaking "technically able to happen" with "Microsoft letting it happen". It is, they won't.

This will however, be a good thing for devs developing apps that Microsoft won't take issue with.

Wereroku

Send their lawyers to do what? When can they do? They can't do anything. The only thing they could do is take a peak at the source code of the emulator and if see if it infringes. If it doesn't contain any of their code, they basically can't do anything.

Sony bankrupted Bleem without actually winning the court cases. You don't have to win to get your way.

Interfectum

Any Windows 8.1 app will work on an Xbox One with a few minor tweaks. For developers, it means getting the app onto as many devices as possible easily and for consumers it means a much larger library of apps will be available for the Xbox One once Universal apps goes into effect.

Devs are barely interested in making apps for Windows 8 + Windows RT + Windows Phone now. You think adding Xbox One into the mix and making it easier to use across all four platforms is going to be that much more appealing? Over simply focusing most efforts on iOS/Android? I'm not seeing it.

If that link is Nintendo telling you no to rip your roms,its bullshit. That;s their personal opinion on the matter and not the law iirc. It is perfectly legal to make backups of shit you own and play them on a emulator that does not use their code.

Nope not if they are legal. SGNES has up to 1 million paid downloads and is currently in the top paid android apps and has been since it's inception. Google has yet to remove it. DRASTIC ds, ppsspp, Mupen 64 and more are all there making money and google hasn't done shit. Why? Because the emulators are legal.

The same thing could be said about iOS, but there is nothing on iOS, all depends how Microsoft and Nintendo see this.

Also, this is the first time a dedicated home console will have access to those retro games and they are in direct competition with Nintendo's virtual console.

And please dont tell me "but you could connect your Ouya, tablet, android device using HDMI" Almost no one does that, and no one would think thats a threat for Nintendo. The Xbox one is another story though.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
There is no precedent for this though.

It will be very interesting to see Nintendos reacion when they see Super Mario World being played on a big screen TV on a Microsoft Home Console.

We are not talking about phones,tablets or failed clients like the OUYA. This is one of the biggest home consoles.

Its delusional to think they wont have a problem with this.

Like if they see people playing pirated movies with their console media features? The emulator itself isn't illegal, downloading the ROMs is. That part is up to the user.

Wereroku

If that link is Nintendo telling you no to rip your roms,its bullshit. That;s their personal opinion on the matter and not the law iirc. It is perfectly legal to make backups of shit you own and play them on a emulator that does not use their code.

Why don't you actually read it instead of asking me what it says?

MaulerX

They don't give a fuck what happens on platforms they don't control. But Nintendo's platforms don't allow third party emulation software. Neither do Sony's. Both Apple and Google remove emulators from their respective App Stores. To expect MS to allow that is folly of the highest order.

We don't have to expect MS to allow it....because...they already do?

I have emulators on both W8 and WP8 that....never got taken down?

Sony bankrupted Bleem without actually winning the court cases. You don't have to win to get your way.

That's because they way Bleem worked is that you had to have a custom emulator for each game, Sony said it was okay when they lost but made them pay the licensing fees of for each PS1 game and it bankrupted them iirc. That kinda stuff doesn't apply to any modern emulator.

Devs are barely interested in making apps for Windows 8 + Windows RT + Windows Phone now. You think adding Xbox One into the mix and making it easier to use across all four platforms is going to be that much more appealing? Over simply focusing most efforts on iOS/Android? I'm not seeing it.

You are missing the point. You aren't just adding Xbox One to a mix, you are making a sweet fucking smoothie that serves all of them.

Awesome news. Wonder how Sony will attempt to respond to this. Not sure if it'll make a huge impact in the market as a whole but Im personally super excited for this. And this makes Windows Phones a slightly more appealing proposition too.

Just need an official pricedrop and a good E3 and MS will have some momentum for the Xbox

Bsigg12

It's an option and porting apps from iOS/Android is really not that difficult since Microsoft has tried to make it as painless and attractive as possible. No one is going to abandon the other OSes but instead just add this to their focus.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm still waiting for the inevitable "approval process" that'll likely be specific to XBOne. They don't want Tinder on XBOne, nor will they want a ton of other stuff. I simply don't see them opening the unbridled flood gates of "write/release whatever you want on XBOne". For example, I will truly be shocked/impressed if Plex finds its way onto XBOne outside of the web interface. People keep mistaking "technically able to happen" with "Microsoft letting it happen". It is, they won't.

This will however, be a good thing for devs developing apps that Microsoft won't take issue with.

This is the only thing I'm worried about. I theory MS should allow any windows 8.1 apps. If prople want to use VLC or plex, that puts less pressure on them to make their own DLNA media support. Lets MS focus on the core features

Did microsoft put any timescales against this? Will we see Xbox one apps from third parties this year?

It wasn't always so easy to make windows 8 apps work in wp8 and now they will have the tools to seamlessly create an app on any platform and it work with minor tweaks on desktop, tablet, windows phone, and even XB1. They are trying to encourage devs to develop on windows knowing a large amount of individuals can get their hands on it. They are trying to get rid of the just develop for ios and android mentality. Its a good move. There is something to see here.

Interfectum

It wasn't always so easy to make windows 8 apps work in wp8 and now they will have the tools to seamlessly create an app on any platform and it work with minor tweaks on desktop, tablet, windows phone, and even XB1. They are trying to encourage devs to develop on windows knowing a large amount of individuals can get their hands on it. They are trying to get rid of the just develop for ios and android mentality. Its a good move. There is something to see here.

It wasn't really that hard either though. I don't see this changing the iOS/Android mentality unless Windows Phone or RT starts getting an untick in sales.

Guymelef

Ok, let's assume you can download a Snes emulator for XBO.
How can you access to XBO directories, etc...? II do not think it's that simple.

flkraven

You can make a game in Unity and compile it to iPad, iPhone, Android, Windows, Mac, Linux, Windows Phone, Vita, Xbox, PlayStation, etc. That seems more appealing to indie devs than simply staying in the Windows dev environment.

Wow, you make it sound so easy. Why is it that so many iOS games/apps aren't compiled for Android, being that it now has an equivalent/bigger install base? Shouldn't they just click the 'compile' button and watch the cheques start rolling in?

StudioTan

Ok, let's assume you can download a Snes emulator for XBO.
How can you access to XBO directories, etc...? II do not think it's that simple.

That's a good point.

The caveat here is that no one makes Windows 8 or mobile apps. The 360 honestly has a superior app ecosystem.

*proud owner of a Windows 8.1 tablet.

So you honestly believe these announcements won't make things improve? Don't pretend that just because app support has been poor before today doesn't mean it will stay the same. These announcements will only make it become that much better.

Top Bottom