• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Universal Windows applications running on the Xbox

Ok, let's assume you can download a Snes emulator for XBO.
How can you access to XBO directories, etc...? II do not think it's that simple.

SNES Emu developer adds Skydrive access to the App, you login to your Skydrive account via the emulator...

Enjoy

Interfectum

Wow, you make it sound so easy. Why is it that so many iOS games/apps aren't compiled for Android, being that it now has an equivalent/bigger install base? Shouldn't they just click the 'compile' button and watch the cheques start rolling in?

A lot of devs do exactly that. Biggest hurdle on Android is just accounting for different screen resolutions/ratios for the UI and hardware setups for drawcalls and shit.

Bsigg12

I doubt that adding Kinect/controller support to your app will be as smooth as you think.

From what they demoed today, the Kinect libraries make adding voice and gesture controls crazy simple especially if the app was already designed around touch.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I doubt that adding Kinect/controller support to your app will be as smooth as you think.

Apps that are designed to work well with touch should be pretty useable with a controller.

Capella

I'm still waiting for the inevitable "approval process" that'll likely be specific to XBOne. They don't want Tinder on XBOne, nor will they want a ton of other stuff. I simply don't see them opening the unbridled flood gates of "write/release whatever you want on XBOne". For example, I will truly be shocked/impressed if Plex finds its way onto XBOne outside of the web interface. People keep mistaking "technically able to happen" with "Microsoft letting it happen". It is, they won't.

This will however, be a good thing for devs developing apps that Microsoft won't take issue with.

Did they talk about this at all during the conference or what that would mean for the Xbox Live paywall? Also when will this get started? The IGN article made this seem far off.

It sounds cool and we knew it was eventually coming but looking around there doesn't seems to be a lot of details on how this will all work and when it will work. The approval process could make or break this IMO.

MaulerX

Ok, let's assume you can download a Snes emulator for XBO.
How can you access to XBO directories, etc...? II do not think it's that simple.

It has to be done via the emulator itself. For example from my experience with WP, the emulators have built in OneDrive support, so you can access whatever files you have stored there...

Mr_Zombie

Basic support will probably be easy. Stuff like moving cursor around, dragging and selecting things or voice controls shouldn't be hard to implement universally. Microsoft already does that with mouse + KB / touch support - you just design an app and without adding any additional code can run it in both touch and M + KB environment.

Stimpack

I thought this was something that we were all made aware of by now? It's a smart move on their part, and I think it's obvious that they planned on consolidation with windows 8.

Exactly, you can download an emulator but you have no way of actually getting ROMs to it.

You can use OneDrive.

That's how the SNES emulators work on Windows 8 already. A dev simply implements the standard file picker, and that gives access to the local storage and OneDrive. If Xbox doesn't support local storage, then it will only show OneDrive. You can then store your ROMs in one place and be able to access them anywhere.

This is huge news though. Hopefully the marketplace will be better organized to handle the huge influx of apps this will bring.

Interesting.

Megaton? No. Fuckin' A some of you are thirsty for some good news for this thing.

I don't think you fully grasp this. A developer now can write one application and have it work on Windows, Windows Phone and Xbox. This will mean there will be a HUGE increase in the amount of apps available for the Xbox.

This is essentially giving indie app developers access to the Xbox. Previously, for all consoles (not just Xbox) only approved developers can create apps for consoles. This is a huge step forward for the app ecosystem.

Tamanon

Banned
You guys are crazy if you think that an emulator for a competitor will be on the XBOne. It would be a legal quagmire.

Does this mean I can play spartan assault on my surface and xbox? I bought it on xbox but it wants me to buy it again on the surface which is bullshit
They are fixing that. They announced during //build/ Buy Once Play/Run Everywhere which will work for both In App Purchases and the Apps/Games themselves

Bsigg12

You can use OneDrive.

That's how the SNES emulators work on Windows 8 already. A dev simply implements the standard file picker, and that gives access to the local storage and OneDrive. If Xbox doesn't support local storage, then it will only show OneDrive. You can then store your ROMs in one place and be able to access them anywhere.

This is huge news though. Hopefully the marketplace will be better organized to handle the huge influx of apps this will bring.

I wonder if Microsoft will allow that on the Xbox One? Isn't Onedrive on the Xbox One limited to solely pictures and videos?

They are fixing that. They announced during //build/ Buy Once Play/Run Everywhere which will work for both In App Purchases and the Apps/Games themselves

As an option. They said developers will have the choice for a cross platform purchase or set it up however they want.

Rulp

I have been wanting emulators on retail consoles for a long time, but I just don't believe Microsoft will be the company to step over that line.

As an option. They said developers will have the choice for a cross platform purchase or set it up however they want.

Of course, its always an option on every platform. Even if they forced it, developers could get around it by making multiple store entries. The key is that they now allow, support and encourage it.

MaulerX

I wonder if Microsoft will allow that on the Xbox One? Isn't Onedrive on the Xbox One limited to solely pictures and videos?

That's just their OneDrive app. The WP emulators have the OneDrive feature built in. Heck, they even have Moga controller support...

mcrommert

Banned
I really wish that every time we have these types of discussions that the usual folks would kindly refrain from bitching and bleating endlessly about the MS paywall.

Get the fuck over it. It's a huge money earner for them and they will never drop it.

this ad infinitum

AJLma

Maybe this will finally get people developing apps for the Microsoft App Store.

A base of what, 5 million people by now? With guaranteed growth.

mcrommert

Banned
Google removes emulators from the Google Play Store when they find them bro

Seriously bro do you even android?

kszLN1i.png

But seriously they don't...only apple does

Mr_Zombie

Not trolling but: why would anyone want Office on a console?
edit: Genuine question, if you have a good reason then I'm intrigued to hear it!:)

Microsoft already advertises (or at least used to advertise) Xbox One as a conference hardware (Kinect 2 + Skype). Being able to share a screen with a presentation on it would be the next logical step.

sangreal

I'm still waiting for the inevitable "approval process" that'll likely be specific to XBOne. They don't want Tinder on XBOne, nor will they want a ton of other stuff. I simply don't see them opening the unbridled flood gates of "write/release whatever you want on XBOne". For example, I will truly be shocked/impressed if Plex finds its way onto XBOne outside of the web interface. People keep mistaking "technically able to happen" with "Microsoft letting it happen". It is, they won't.

This will however, be a good thing for devs developing apps that Microsoft won't take issue with.

They talked about this a few minutes ago -- they are planning a combined approval process for windows phone, pc and xbox not something specific for xbox. They also talked about how it won't be nearly as rigid as retail game certification -- I would expect something similar to whatever the current process is for WP validation

Retail xbones will have to support sideloading anyway, since they will be used for the development/testing

yep. Might not have sold my xbone knowing that.
Why the hell wasn't this announced sooner ?

Waiting for the dev conference to announce it to devs - build the buzz, give them all a free XBox. Sensible marketing. I don't think it'll resonate down to consumers for a while yet.

Chettlar

Banned
Not trolling but: why would anyone want Office on a console?
edit: Genuine question, if you have a good reason then I'm intrigued to hear it!:)

I made this post about powerpoint earlier.

Ooh, that'd be cool.

You have your powerpoint presentation, and say "Next" and it moves to the next slide.

Or if you want to back, just "Go Back!"

Or, if you want to go to the start "Return to start"

Or just go back five slides, "Go back five."

I don't think people would do the main editing work on the Xbox One, though it should still be allowed, for that quick, last minute blooper fix that you just caught before you had to present the your powerpoint.

In addition you could use Kinect to scroll through word documents and things. I think it would be more useful for presentation that actual editing work, though the Xbox One does support mouse and Keyboard, so there's nothing preventing it from working like a normal computer.

rothbart

They talked about this a few minutes ago -- they are planning a combined approval process for windows phone, pc and xbox not separate processes.

Retail xbones will have to support sideloading anyway, since they will be used for the development/testing

Sideloading and development aren't necessarily the same. All they'd need to do is make you load/run your own apps within the development suite they're going to provide and then they wouldn't need to support true sideloading of apps. They had that 360 development program they killed a while back... you had to be a member to develop (or view anyone else's shared apps), not just anyone could load them.

At the rate they're going, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this was realistically years away from being released though. Two qualifies as "years". I wouldn't be surprised if it was two years away. ;)

Top Bottom