• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unlocking Destiny Early (Xbox One)

Hellish

I'll cancel my preorder for physical copy if this works. I actually think this is the carrot that consoles should be using to get people to buy digital (buy digital, get games for the weekend before physical release).

Would be pretty cool if they do this, I am already going all digital with the Xbox One and this would most likely promote people to do the same. Only game I might not go digital for is MCC just because local tournament holders tend to make you bring a disc for newer games as they don't have enough.

Would be pretty cool if they do this, I am already going all digital with the Xbox One and this would most likely promote people to do the same. Only game I might not go digital for is MCC just because local tournament holders tend to make you bring a disc for newer games as they don't have enough.

They don't allow you to lug your system to your local tournaments?

Toa TAK

Banned
I'm subscribing to this thread. Got to see if it works. I won't be able to play until Wednesday otherwise and I can't handle that, God forbid.

I'll cancel my preorder for physical copy if this works. I actually think this is the carrot that consoles should be using to get people to buy digital (buy digital, get games for the weekend before physical release).

Nintendo did this with Wind Waker HD in the US, I think it was a full week earlier, too. Kinda disappointed they haven't done that since then for digital releases. I guess for remasters it makes more sense than for new games...

mcfrank

What time would this be in the UK?

1pm I believe.

Also it is possible you may need to redownload the game from the NZ store, but we don't know for sure yet. I have already done so just in case. You still want to purchase the game from the us store.

Niven

1pm I believe.

Also it is possible you may need to redownload the game from the NZ store, but we don't know for sure yet. I have already done so just in case. You still want to purchase the game from the us store.

Thank you, I'll give it ago

flkraven

? What do you mean?

It just feels like if a dev or pub made a list of pros and cons about why they should allow preloading, "tricking your system to think it's in a different region to play your game early" probably sits on the con list.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
By the time I wake up in Toronto tomorrow will someone have finished the game?

Man I am gonna be working until 7PM. But I hope this is unlocked by the time I get home, I have already switched the region and timezone.

KdMgMan

1pm I believe.

i did the same thing but now i cant re-download my call of duty shader :(

blazeuk

It just feels like if a dev or pub made a list of pros and cons about why they should allow preloading, "tricking your system to think it's in a different region to play your game early" probably sits on the con list.

If that made it to a con list then I think it would be safe to assume the pro's far outweigh the cons. It's not going to happen on such a scale to bother retailers all that much and publishers will already be happy you've spent your money buying their games. Getting the game a few hours early isn't going to have an impact, it'll be officially released somewhere and there will already be people playing it at that time anyway.

If that made it to a con list then I think it would be safe to assume the pro's far outweigh the cons. It's not going to happen on such a scale to bother retailers all that much and publishers will already be happy you've spent your money buying their games. Getting the game a few hours early isn't going to have an impact, it'll be officially released somewhere and there will already be people playing it at that time anyway.

Yep. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft Studios ends up allowing their preloaded titles to unlock early as well at some point.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
i did the same thing but now i cant re-download my call of duty shader :(
This is the big concern. DLC is region locked, and online play could very well be region locked also. So if you redeem a DLC code (shader) for the US game and download the NZ game you probably can't use it. Likewise there's a good chance your save game for the NZ game won't show up if/when you download the US game. Last but not least is you may likely be connecting to NZ servers for online play which would give you some crazy bad lag. These are all of the most common problems dealing with cross region gaming. Not sure it's really worth a 14 hour head start. Usually reserved for cases where the game's almost certainly never going to come to your region (DR3 on XBONE in Germany. Yakuza Ishin on PS4 outside of Japan. Etc)

UL9qAYF.gif

EDIT: lol, wrong thread..

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Guys are overthinking this.

If you download a game from AUS/NZ store DLC from US/UK store will still work with your game.

The license you get when you buy on the Xbox One store goes for all stores in all regions the content is available.
IF you got Destiny from the US store, but want to download the AUS/NZ version for the early unlock you can:
Just purchase the US version, then change region to AUS/NZ, manage destiny, go to Install, you will now download the AUS/NZ version of the game which unlocks early.

As for which server it will send you to, it will connect you to the closest server so if your console is physically in the US even if the region is set to AUS/NZ you will still connect to an american server.

Matchmaking is IP based, only the marketplace doesnt care about IP.

P.S Ive tested the downloading from other markets and playing online with my Xbone already, it works and no issues so far.
Im guessing once the Xbone is released all around maybe they will lock the marketplace to accounts again.

You can also use the HK store for even bigger saving fyi

tuna_love

Banned

If you download a game from AUS/NZ store DLC from US/UK store will still work with your game.

The license you get when you buy on the Xbox One store goes for all stores in all regions the content is available.
IF you got Destiny from the US store, but want to download the AUS/NZ version for the early unlock you can:
Just purchase the US version, then change region to AUS/NZ, manage destiny, go to Install, you will now download the AUS/NZ version of the game which unlocks early.

As for which server it will send you to, it will connect you to the closest server so if your console is physically in the US even if the region is set to AUS/NZ you will still connect to an american server.

P.S Ive tested the downloading from other markets and playing online with my Xbone already, it works and no issues so far.
Im guessing once the Xbone is released all around maybe they will lock the marketplace to accounts again.

Yep. People really are over thinking this.

Hellish

They don't allow you to lug your system to your local tournaments?

They do, and even back in the H3 days (never happened during H2 as they had consoles from H1) they would ask as they would always need more but I would not want to be one of the people to bring a console.

FLiP2345

Banned
Thinking bout doing this but I have money on the account and I'm not trying to get that messed up or banned or anything crazy.
I'll wait it out I guess

tuna_love

Banned
Thinking bout doing this but I have money on the account and I'm not trying to get that messed up or banned or anything crazy.
I'll wait it out I guess
I've been swapping regions like crazy since launch. Have credit in two regions and nothing has happened. And if your just swapping region for time zone your not exactly making a fake address or anything. All will be fine. You will get to play before the servers shit them self.

BusterJol

After switching the region and timezone my Destiny pre-order now says it's taking up 0GB instead of 18GB. Hmmm... (Note I have the digital guardian edition. If that's the issue or not..)

GoxRx

What's the size of the download of the normal edition?

thanks in advance

edit: Seems like I'm not a junior anymore lol

tuna_love

Banned
After switching the region and timezone my Destiny pre-order now says it's taking up 0GB instead of 18GB. Hmmm... (Note I have the digital guardian edition. If that's the issue or not..)
It's still there. You can press start on it and install if you want

KdMgMan

Yup. that other guy who replied to me was just thinking out his ass. My whole problem with the dlc shader is because Xbox one doesn't have a proper download history.

gatti-man

Damn I have an x1 but I'd rather get all the content on my ps4. Sony please fix this next time. World Wide time and release for digital content! This is silly.

Top Bottom