• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unlocking Destiny Early (Xbox One)

Oscar

Well maybe wait till its out in US just to be safe I guess

Lol I thought he was referring to the mythical "3 month wait between region changes" some folks were talking about in the OT.

Definitely stay in the NZ zone until official release date.

Fotos

So it says it's 0GB. Should I reinstall it or is that fine?

EDIT: went to the game, pressed start, and clicked resume install. It now shows 17.9GB.

Lee

If I don't do this right now, but wake up to find it worked for you guys, will it be too late for me to do it?

I just bought the game right now on the PS4. I hope this works for the PS4 version too. If not oh well I got some Steam games I can play till it unlocks.

Tawpgun

Nevermind. The delay and most of the problems seem to be for changing your ACCOUNT region not console region.

People have done this for Madden and Diablo and did it fine.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
and Minecraft. Around 7 PM CST.

I wonder if It will happen for this game...all those others were kinda small games, while Destiny is huge atm. Will be interesting to see, but I hopefully will have self control and do homework instead =(.

I've tried reading through the thread, but I haven't seen agreement on much. What's the thought behind why this work on the one, and not ps4? I thought ms had the better/more secure network/os that would make a hack like this harder?

Bsigg12

I've tried reading through the thread, but I haven't seen agreement on much. What's the thought behind why this work on the one, and not ps4? I thought ms had the better/more secure network/os that would make a hack like this harder?

You're not hacking anything, you're just changing the region the console is tied to. With the Xbox One you can change that at will.

tuna_love

Banned
It's not a hack. You ate changing your region in settings. Psn locks one profile to one region Xbox doesn't. That's it

REV 09

Kinda surprised that they don't tie it to your IP address which would require a vpn trick like on pc. Guess we'll find out in the morning.

Bollocks

Why would you want to unlock it early? We waited this long, +-12h won't do much, besides servers gonna crash big anyway. Good luck playing it by Saturday

MaulerX

It's not a hack. You ate changing your region in settings. Psn locks one profile to one region Xbox doesn't. That's it

Honestly that's one of the things that the XB1 just does better. Changing regions to access other stores with your own profile is a really convenient situation.

tuna_love

Banned
Why would you want to unlock it early? We waited this long, +-12h won't do much, besides servers gonna crash big anyway. Good luck playing it by Saturday
I'm not gonna be playing it early because I live in Australia. But you can't see why anyone would want to play it early?

Bsigg12

To play for a decent amount of time tomorrow? If it works, the game will be available at 8am EDT. Sounds better than struggling to login Tuesday at 12am PDT when all digital downloads go live in the US.

So you can't change regions on the ps4? What if you move?

You would have to create a new PSN account for your new region to buy things from your new regions store....However, you can always log back into your original/old PSN account and play what you just purchased from your new regions store.......

Same thing us US users did to get War Thunder from the Euro store over a month before it released in the US, then played it on our US accounts....

You would have to create a new PSN account for your new region to buy things from your new regions store....However, you can always log back into your original/old PSN account and play what you just purchased from your new regions store.......

Same thing us US users did to get War Thunder from the Euro store over a month before it released in the US, then played it on our US accounts....

So I should have set up a different region account and bought it from somewhere else to be able to play it tomorrow night? Too late now, have to wait until Tuesday morning.

Flintty

Keep us updated. I switched regions too.

EDIT: Oh shit.

If you switch regions you can't switch back for 3 months #oops

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/my-ac...hange-region#52bc9cdd7f774975a7df681a7e4fa7c7

Kind of troubling things here. Like some digital content might not work.

People need to stop posting bullshit. That link refers to changing your gamer tag region, it has nothing to do with the store.

You can change your Xbox One region as many times and as often as you like.

tuna_love

Banned
So I should have set up a different region account and bought it from somewhere else to be able to play it tomorrow night? Too late now, have to wait until Tuesday morning.

Yeah but then you would have to pay our shitty prices. The way it works on xbox one is you buy US price then change region.

Keep us updated. I switched regions too.

EDIT: Oh shit.

If you switch regions you can't switch back for 3 months #oops

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/my-ac...hange-region#52bc9cdd7f774975a7df681a7e4fa7c7

Kind of troubling things here. Like some digital content might not work.

So much damn FUD here.

You're not switching your GAMERTAG region. You're switching your CONSOLE region. You can do that 1500 times a day if you want, there is no limit.

People need to stop posting in this thread when they have no earthly clue what they're talking about.

1. Buy from US marketplace.

2. Cancel download

3. Switch CONSOLE to NZ

4. Re-start digital preload (download)

5. Play it (presumably) at 12:01am NZST if this works, which it should since they haven't AFAIK started IP-blocking on XB1 yet.

6. At some later point, whenever it's convenient for you on a day you're not playing, you could always delete the installation, change time zone of CONSOLE back to US, and re-download it, just to ensure that any future DLC you download and everything works ok, although that really shouldn't be an issue.

HunRevan

I am going to try it. I bought the game from the US store even though Im from the EU and gonna play it as soon as possible. :D best of all worlds.

Flintty

I am going to try it. I bought the game from the US store even though Im from the EU and gonna play it as soon as possible. :D best of all worlds.

Exactly, nothing to lose!
I'm not going to re-download the 'New Zealand version' though. I don't think that has any baring on the unlock.

Edit: Tuna_love, thanks! I noticed the post a few steps above a few seconds after I posted, haha. Switched and ready to see!
Side note, was I supposed to be charged for my pre-purchase? I downloaded Destiny before they pulled it down off the store and officially re-launched it later.

tuna_love

Banned
So if I switch I'm not going to be able to redeem any canadian codes for 3 months? Which would mean the codes from the Limited Edition? I dunno..

You can switch as much as you want. that 3 month thing is bull shit. Its just changing regions on the xbox not your billing

Phinor

Was it like a couple of dudes randomly selecting different countries/regions to see if this was even possible? If yes, how long did it take them to find this flaw?

I'd say probably less than two minutes. Changing regions is a common thing to do with Xbox One so it's pretty easy to come to a conclusion that it might be helpful with unlocking games too.

Many Europeans can't even use their own country/region setting because they want to use English UI/Dashboard/Kinect but the only way to do that is to NOT choose your own country from the list. Basically a lot of people currently have their console set to Ireland (for € compatibility), UK or US.

Guerrilla

4. Re-start digital preload (download)

So is redownloading from the nz store def. needed, or might it work without reloading? Askin because I'll get home from work like an hour after it unlocks in nz, and I really don't want to wait the extra time until it is redownloaded if this works ;)

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I don't think we will have anything to worry about in having to re-download the New Zealand version. As I said earlier in the thread when I bought the games from the US store including all the DLC I own all I did was purchase I never downloaded/installed.

Once it was purchased I switched back to the UK region, I could still install and play the UK version even though the game hadn't officially released on the UK store. I did this to speed the downloads up due to location of servers. Never had problems. Unless Microsoft have decided to do things different I imagine it will be fine. Even with game updates I've sometimes been on the US region when updating a PAL title and it works fine.

I suppose we will just have to wait and see what happens.

So is redownloading from the nz store def. needed, or might it work without reloading? Askin because I'll get home from work like an hour after it unlocks in nz, and I really don't want to wait the extra time until it is redownloaded if this works ;)

It takes 5 seconds to re-download.

Another one who has done this before (sort of).

I downloaded Titanfall from the US and played a few days early without any issues (as well as othergames).

The part we don't know is how does this work for pre purchase, since there hasn't been one.

I am ready and waiting in Auckland to see what happens. A touch over 3 hours to go.

Forsythia

I've changed the locale and language, and had the game at 0%, while fully preloaded. So I select install, and now it's stuck there. Other games install just fine. The only thing I can do is cancel (pausing doesn't work either), but I don't want to redownload the entire game. :( According to the usage of my hard drive, the entire game is still installed btw.

I guess I'll find out in a few hours.

Top Bottom