• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kain

D&D are capable of writing good content.
The Cersei/Robert scene in season 1 was very good, GRRM level in my opinon.
and even elio&linda liked the scene where stannis talks to his daughter about the doll that infected her in season 5.
they can do that, but apparently they think their audience loves dumb shit, and looking at the ratings they seem to be right.

Yep, that seems to be the case.

I'm of the mindset that Ramsay isn't much of a character, but knowing that they wouldn't be able to have the depth of all those northern houses involved in that plot thread like the books, they decided they needed a larger presence villain for that part of the story (and they wanted to keep Theon in the show).

Some of it has worked well, seeing Ramsay's relationship with Roose a little more makes for interesting scenes and informs the character to a degree. Other areas have been less enjoyable viewing.

lol

HBO's GoT is really unabashedly trashy as far as I'm concerned. Either you're into that or you're not. And a lot of people are into it. I honestly don't know what drives the popularity of shows like this and The Walking Dead. And I watch those shows! They haven't gone full True Blood yet though, but they're really getting there. Each season they start giving less fucks. It's honestly kinda amazing something like this wins Best Drama at the Emmys.

I'm definitely enjoying the show more now that I just consider it a trashy comedy.

and even elio&linda liked the scene where stannis talks to his daughter about the doll that infected her in season 5.
they can do that, but apparently they think their audience loves dumb shit, and looking at the ratings they seem to be right.

The Cersei and Robert scene was so damn good.

I'm all on board for D&D's wild ride. I'm at the point where even if the stuff that happens in the show is dumb, the 20 good memes that pop up make up for it.

I think the production values trick people into thinking it's a better show than it really is tbh

Real Hero

Totally they have done some great stuff, which is why I extra annoyed at the horrible stuff

Forkball

Although the series prides itself on having morally grey characters, Tywin was a source of antagonism for many of them. After Tywin died, there was a "villain vacuum" and no character filled that gap. This was cited as a major problem in the last two books. Yeah you had people like Euron and Book Ramsay, but they are unknown to many of the characters and don't really accomplish a whole lot. Much of the conflict in the last two books are caused by internal issues or unknown and unexpected sources (Harpies, Faith Militant, Night's Watch traitors etc.)

The show tries to rectify this by trying to make Ramsay someone for the audience to focus their ire on. But while Tywin and Ramsay are people you love to hate, Ramsay is someone you just want out of the way so we can get to other things.

Although the series prides itself on having morally grey characters, Tywin was a source of antagonism for many of them. After Tywin died, there was a "villain vacuum" and no character filled that gap. This was cited as a major problem in the last two books. Yeah you had people like Euron and Book Ramsay, but they are unknown to many of the characters and don't really accomplish a whole lot. Much of the conflict in the last two books are caused by internal issues or unknown and unexpected sources (Harpies, Faith Militant, Night's Watch traitors etc.)

The show tries to rectify this by trying to make Ramsay someone for the audience to focus their ire on. But while Tywin and Ramsay are people you love to hate, Ramsay is someone you just want out of the way so we can get to other things.

Nailed it. I loved/hated every second Jack Gleason was on screen, but I wasn't internally screaming "CAN SOMEONE FUCKING OFF THIS CLOWN ALREADY" like i found myself doing with Ramsay this past season.

Iksenpets

Banned
I'm of the mindset that Ramsay isn't much of a character, but knowing that they wouldn't be able to have the depth of all those northern houses involved in that plot thread like the books, they decided they needed a larger presence villain for that part of the story (and they wanted to keep Theon in the show).

Some of it has worked well, seeing Ramsay's relationship with Roose a little more makes for interesting scenes and informs the character to a degree. Other areas have been less enjoyable viewing.

Ramsay and Roose together is great. I think the whole episode with their first dinner with Sansa was fantastic for those characters. It's just how all the scenes come together into the superdeity Ramsay arc that it all falls apart. Like, I think most of the actual problems I have with the show can never be diagnosed in a single scene, because each scene in isolation is great (the only exception to this being the Dornish scenes, which is why that plot is uniquely bad on the show). It just all falls apart when you try to string together all of those scenes into a coherent whole, and you realize that they're pretty consistently willing to sacrifice plot and character quality in order to have scenes that are great in isolation.

I kind of wonder if that's how they believe most viewers experience the show — a series of isolated scenes that they never fully put together — and so the individual moment is always more important than the whole. And hey, maybe it does work for a lot of the viewers out there who can't remember character names and stuff.

ASIS

People love to hate tywin? IDK I say that about Cersei but I flat out loved tywin. He was amazing!

Moff

tywin was one of the best and most important characters of this saga, I said many times that ADWD/AFFC could not fill the hole he left and that's one of the reasons why they feel aimless and straight up boring.
but at the same time, he served his purpose, I don't even know if it would have been much better if he didn't die. it was time for something new, GRRM failed at this with book roose and ramsay, they show tried to improve that but failed even worse.

Regarding the trailer timing, as Steely pointed out the show is launching slightly later this year. Plus I think they realize that the show self-markets to some extent early in the year (lots of awards appearances / interviews by the cast) plus they got a lot of mileage out of the bloodied Jon Snow poster late last year. We'll get a trailer with the Vinyl premiere at the latest, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing some new footage.

Release the trailer, so I can start to hate it
Legitimately lol'd at this. Maybe that should be the thread subtitle. :p

Nothing wrong with going full dudebro on a show like this. I was honestly going to drop the show since.the adaptation is kinda bad, but then Karl Fookin' Tanner had that great stupid arc that ended with him getting skewered in such a hilariously low brow badass way I just knew I had to keep watching. This is how they retain viewership.
Yes, I think the show (and this thread) are a lot more fun as people embrace the cheese and just roll with it.

Also, HBO just released a new trailer for Silicon Valley, so I'm still relatively sure we'll see a new GoT trailer on/by Sunday when Vinyl premieres.

Moff

not really seeing an improvement on bloodraven
the dream is over
sydow is surely a great actor but he still looks too simple

Victarion

got-10.jpg

What. I hope this is just from the set and not actual footage. Bran standing up? Bloodraven looking like an ordinary old man?

Lothar

Banned
Ughhhhh. Please no.

edit: But, if she is, it wouldn't surprise me. Yet another thing Cersei prepared her for in Season 2 ("you'll love your child but not your husband").

It wouldn't make any sense if she was. Birth control exists in their world. Marrying Ramsay was the intended plot of Sansa and LF. So wouldn't she have brought along some Moon Tea?

It wouldn't make any sense if she was. Birth control exists in their world. Marrying Ramsay was the intended plot of Sansa and LF. So wouldn't she have brought along some Moon Tea?

Well sure, but wouldn't Ramsay have done something...even more unpleasant to Sansa if he found out she was actively preventing the conception of his heir?

Tuffty

Sansa had no idea how long she would be there and do you think Ramsey or Roose would have use for her if she couldn't produce an heir?

Lothar

Banned
Well sure, but wouldn't Ramsay have done something...even more unpleasant to Sansa if he found out she was actively preventing the conception of his heir?

Sure but going into the marriage, they didn't realize what type of person Ramsay was. That's why they did it. If they knew how twisted he was, they wouldn't have. That's why it was important to show Ramsay telling LF "I won't hurt her." I doubt she planned to have kids with him. So bringing along moon tea sounds like an obvious thing to do.

Sansa had no idea how long she would be there and do you think Ramsey or Roose would have use for her if she couldn't produce an heir?

It wasn't supposed to be a permanent stay for her. She was just there waiting for something to happen. (Yes, as dumb as that is)

NeoGiff

So, if my calculations are correct, we can name the incoming bastard according to Westerosi naming conventions.

Roose x Wench = Bastard. Bastard + growth = Ramsay. Ramsay = Bastard.

Ned x Cat = Sansa. Sansa + growth = plot bastardization. (Plot bastardization - plot) ÷ ization = Bastard.

Sansa x Ramsay = Bastard x Bastard.

Bastard x Bastard = Bastard².

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom